Prologue

Detached Past

Disgust and anger mix like old friendsboth are feelings felt by man. Both have the ability to drive everything a person has over the edge, leaving only hatred in its place. It clouds judgements and takes control over every limb, muscle and bone until all that is left is for it to be embraced. At leastthat's what he thought it felt like to the supposedly invincible Wu Feng. His father was indestructible but being so, granted him the ability to destroy everything and anything that kept him within reach of what he wanted. Kris and his mother were among the first victims of what would appear to be a long streak of his father's unfixable mistakes. And because of this, the destruction of a once stable family began at the tender age of his innocence at three years old.

Ten years later

            For the past few months, nothing majorly bad happenednot like it did in the past. Kris's dad kept his feelings along with his words buried deep inside him during the time. No words other than a yes or no escaped him and for a while, it was quiet. Peace at last, the young boy thought. Maybe he jinxed the turn of events or maybe he just spoke too soon, but Kris knew the rage his father bottled inside of him would someday turn up again. It just so happened that today was the day. He immediately knew that the dark side of his dad would reappear as soon as he heard the shattering of glass once he entered the kitchen. His mom was still standing there in shock, her hand cupped around where the glass should have been.

            "Mom, sit down." Kris tried speaking calmly but nobody was fooled. He bit down on his lip to stop the quivering. He looked his mom in the eye and her eyes widened as she realized what just happened. Right away, her whole body began to shake.

            "What ifYifan, what if" He cut her off before she could finish the sentence. No, he told himself that it would never get that bad again. But deep inside, he knew his father was waiting for them to slip up and give him an excuse to hurt his mother. Upstairs, Kris heard a door creak open and so did his mom. A horrified gasp escaped as she slowly raised her hand to cover . The grip he had on the kitchen table tightened when he heard the door close.

            "What was that, Jinjing?" His dad's stern tone made it final. Somebody was going to get hurt tonight and he would go out of his way to make sure that a scar was left behind. Frantic looks were exchanged between Kris and his mom. "Jinjing, I asked what happened. Answer me, now." Silence followed. And because it did, footsteps did too.

             As soon as she heard the thuds against the stairs, Jinjing's expression changed. Her arms clutched at her son's shoulders as she looked him straight in the eyes. Almost as if she was never afraid, she quickly gave a few instructions in a hushed voice. "I need you to lock yourself in the bathroom downstairs. Don't come out no matter what you hear, do you understand?" She cut her shaking son off in a sharp tone when she saw him open his mouth to protest, "Don't you dare be foolish and interfere like last time. Now, go." And he did.

            Kris disappeared through the door that led to the basement just as the screaming started.