Saviour

White Knight

 

 

 

 

Today is no different from yesterday, yesterday was no different from all the other weekdays, and last week was no different from last month. Kim Jongin skeptically eyes the fork in between his slender fingers while pretending to listen to his friends’ usual yammers. Jongin picks up a word or two every hundred years from their conversation - and right now Oh Sehun is completely engaged in questioning the method of how one gets ‘jamth’ (jam) through a ‘donuth’ (donut) without wrecking it – the kid has quite a lisp at times. Jongin rubs his temples in frustration while muttering almost inaudibly, “First world problems with Oh Sehun,” and he is fully convinced that nobody hears him until Yixing lets out a chuckle.

* * *

 

It’s a week later when something grabs Jongin’s attention while passing the endless grey walls of the rundown school. An unfamiliar figure stands in the middle of the classroom of roll call; the guy is supposedly a new student, which explains the identical uniform. No later than thirty minutes Jongin finds out that the guy with the big doe-eyes’ name is Kyungsoo, and that they have art classes together.

 

* * *

Tuesday the class is gathered on the rooftop of the school with each their art supplies and an assignment to do. If someone had told Kim Jongin that he sometime soon would be begging the somewhat nervous and scrawny kid Kyungsoo to go on a date with him in front of the whole class, he would have laughed at them and have told them ‘in their dreams’. Yet there he is, Kyungsoo just asked if he wants to go out with him, and he freezes. Jongin stops in his tracks and turns his full attention to the shorter boy and glares, as if that would make the unanswered question stop hanging awkwardly in mid air.

 

“What?”

 

“Do you want to go out? Like on a date?” Jongin was not sure how Kyungsoo’s upfront actions could possibly match the shy look on his face. The boy runs a hand through his jet-black hair whilst biting his lower lip nervously; Jongin would have thought it was stupidly cute if not given the current situation.

“Why?”

 

“ ’Cause… Well because, I like your smile.”

 

This kid has got some nerves.

 

“My smile? Is that it?” taken aback from such a direct confession, Jongin quickly adds, “And even so, why would I?”

 

The second he says that Kyungsoo’s attitude changes entirely, he goes from Creepy-Kyungsoo to Cocky-Kyungsoo. And the dark skinned boy is certain that he prefers Creepy-Kyungsoo much from the other as he sees the latter approach the edge of the banister.

 

“If not things might get a bit… problematic.” The boy turns his back towards Jongin as he strolls over to the other side of the rooftop, his pale white fingers touching mindlessly each metal bar he passes until he decides for a place to stop. At this point Kyungsoo’s got every person following him with their eyes, Jongin hears whispers and laughter from behind.

 

“You think he’s gonna do it?”

 “That guy’s a total psycho!”

 

His classmates are right, a complete wacko... Why has it always got to happen to him?

 

The forest that lay before them catches Jongin eyes; their school was surrounded by nature. Autumn had swept over Seoul unnoticed and had brought gold, scarlet and deep brown leafs that crackled underneath your boots. Gusts of strong wind blew wistfully in every direction spreading goose bumps and Jongin wonders if he after this day still could enjoy the earthy smell while admiring the beech tree bathed in the yellow warmth of the autumn sun. He ought to take action!

 

Jongin’s eyes widens horrified at view in front of him, Kyungsoo has his back to the open air on the edge of the building now. The boy wavers for a moment before shooting a smile directed at Jongin, “It’s your choice my dear”.

 

The kids around him start yelling, “Jongin, what the are you doing!”, “Go help him!”, “Are you crazy?!”.

 

The world starts spinning when finally realization kicks in, and before he knows it Jongin is embracing Kyungsoo with a fast grip scared to let go. The shorter boys breath is hot as he speaks, “So is that a yes?”

 

Jongin looks incredulously into the others charcoal eyes, and lets an exasperated laugh “Only if it stops you from ever doing this again”.

 

Kyungsoo smiles genuinely for the first time.