Part 2

Stand Up

It had been an exciting day, performing a new song and seeing their fans after such a long time. The first stage was on Inkigayo. Since it was a Sunday, there weren't as many radio programs or variety shows being recorded for them to get spots as guests. Instead, they were generously given another night off.

It was not yet six in the evening, and they found themselves alone in the apartment. Jihoon was overseas at the charity concert, and the manager who stayed to handle the seven boys for the week was at a meeting with higher-ups at the CUBE office.

They'd been sitting in front of the TV, playing video games and checking netizen responses to their album on Peniel's iPad for a while when Minhyuk had noticed his ever-tired dongsaeng had fallen asleep sitting against the well. His eyes met Eunkwang's who gave him a quick nod.

“You guys seem really bored. Let's go watch a movie," Minhyuk suggested. Most of them just shrugged except for Ilhoon.

“Yes, we're so bored staring at these screens. Let's go stare at a giant one."

Eunkwang wasn't sure if the kid was protesting out of laziness or mischieviousness, but all he could come up with was, “You should go. Get some fresh air."

“Um, Hyung. Movie theaters are inside," Peniel chimed in.

“Uh. Right."

Sungjae was laughing at him and a smirk had crept onto Hyunsik's face.

“We don't need a movie. Having Eunkwang hyung around is like watching a comedy."

“Don't laugh at me! I'm your hyung!"

In an attempt to fix the situation, Minhyuk had walked to the kitchen and began searching through the cabinets.

“There's barely any food, let's go grocery shopping."

“And trust Eunkwang to drive? No way." He's definitely trying to be mischievous, Eunkwang thought.

“No. We'll just go to the store a couple of blocks down."

“Fine," he said, getting up, the others following suit. They were used to being forced along to help carry bags.

“I'll stay behind. I have to shower."

“Yeah, sure. You just don't want to help carry groceries." Ilhoon remarked, but he kept walking, all of them leaving while Eunkwang stayed in the apartment with Changsub.

-

After they left, he sat staring at the dark television screen. Should he wake the other boy? Wasting time in his uncertainty, ten minutes had passed when he heard movement beside him.

“Where did everyone go?" he mumbled, rubbing his eyes as they adjusted to the light.

“Just the grocery store." Eunkwang realized that it was just that, only a five minute walk from the dorm, and he really should just get on with it.

“Um, Changsub. We need to talk."

“About what, Hyung?"

“The thing that's been troubling you. There's something, right?"

At that, Changsub obviously grew tense, now fully awake, thoughts of tiredness chased out.

“Uh, no. There's nothing. Why would you ask that?"

“Changsub, I know you've been upset lately."

“No. I, uh, I'm fine."

“Changsub-"

“Just forget it. Don't worry. I'll be fine." Changsub had his head down as he shook it slowly. His voice had taken on a tone that was both distressed and annoyed.

“Well, then, convince me why I shouldn't worry. Tell me some part of it."

There was a long moment of silence, and Eunkwang thought he wouldn't be making any progress today, until Changsub spoke in little more than a whisper, “my parents".

“Changsub, you can tell me anything, whatever it is, okay?"

The tone was back in Changsub's voice when he responded. “No, I can't. Look, you don't need to worry about it."

“Whatever it is, we can help you. Be your support. Are they sick? Was it something they said?"

“No. It's not that. It's me. I messed up." He stood up as he said this, and though Eunkwang was surprised that his emotions had risen to such an extent, with all their years training together, he could recognize the look on the others face. It was the same one he wore when, after hours of practice he still couldn't hit the right note at the right time or pace a choreography with the music. He was upset with himself and about to break down, so the older boy tried to speak with as much calmness and gentleness as he could.

“Changsub, you're not making sense."

“I messed up! You really want to know? Okay! Fine! I'm gay!"

Changsub yelling was rare, seeing that and not having expected what had been stated, Eunkwang just stood there shocked. The younger boy turned around to walk away, but stopped in his tracks.

“," he muttered. The other five boys were standing in front of him by the door, mouths hanging open, some having dropped bags full of groceries to the floor.

“Just, uh, you can pretend this never happened. I'll hide it well. I'm heading out now, be back later," he said, hurriedly grabbing his jacket and skateboard and leaving the apartment.

The sound of the door closing broke Eunkwang from his daze, and he ran out, leaving the door open and the members scrambling to follow behind him.

“Wait! Changsub!"

Eunkwang had descended the stairs of the building and saw the other had paused at the end of the alley connecting the building exit and the street. However, the boy didn't turn around, instead he ran forward, taking a right turn into the street and kept going.

He tried to chase after him, but when he reached the street, the other was far gone. He trudged back to the dorm, ushering the others who had stopped at the bottom of the stairs along with him.