Final

School 2003

 

A 12 year old boy by the name of Byun Baekhyun woke up that morning doing the same routine he’s been doing for the past two years. He wakes up, takes a quick shower, gets dress, eats his “extravagant” Breakfast of scrambled eggs, Vienna sausages and rice, bids his mother goodbye as she leaves for work, and then proceeds to wait patiently for the bus to arrive like every other kid that lived on his block.

Baekhyun then arrives at his school, enters his classroom, bows to his fellow classmates, then returns to his seat to wait for his teacher who is always a quarter of a minute late. The teacher comes in and puts down her bag on the table before giving out her usual explanation of her tardiness. She then tells the class to be quite as she turns to face the whiteboard and begins teaching.

However, today was different, instead of the usual lateness of Ms. Kwon. She arrived five minutes earlier with a boy next to her whom he’s never seen before. The boy had big round eyes, plump lips, black hair and porcelain skin. He wasn’t that tall, about the same height as he was but maybe a little bit shorter. He wore the signature school uniform; a yellow blazer with navy slacks and a choice between a bowtie and a regular tie. This boy opted to wear a bowtie.

“Good morning class. As you can see we have a new student that will be joining us this semester. I know that it seems a tad bit odd that he will be joining us in the middle of the school year but seeing that he placed number one in his previous school, the head of the admission board thought it would help boost the school’s moral. Please give a warm welcome to Do Kyungsoo.” The teacher introduced as the boy bowed politely to the class.

“Kyungsoo is a year younger than most of you, and since he's new I hope all of you will show him the ins and outs of KSI. And since we don’t know anything yet about our new friend, why don’t you tell us something about yourself Kyungsoo?” The teacher looked at the boy beside her who seemed frightened by all the sudden attention he was receiving.

“I-I like… I-I…” The boy stuttered as the whole class erupted into laughter.

“Sshhh! Class quite down! Give Kyungsoo a chance to speak.” The teacher scolded the class as Kyungsoo’s lips trembled from the lack of confidence he was currently showing.

Baekhyun studied the way the boy looked so crestfallen when he couldn’t finish what he wanted to say. So he raised his right hand in the middle of the dying laughter before the teacher called on him to speak.

“Yes Baekhyun?” The teacher raised her eyebrow questionably.

“Do you like to sing?” Baekhyun asked, not looking at the teacher but at the boy standing next to her. He was genuinely interested if the boy could sing, the school had a pretty descent reputation of having one of the best vocalists that competed in regional and international competitions. Baekhyun was no exception, only being 12; he had already won various singing competitions for the school.

He didn’t know why he was asking the boy if he liked to sing, but at this point, he just wanted to ease the other boy’s nerves.

Kyungsoo merely nodded as the teacher clasped her hands in excitement. “That’s fantastic! Baekhyun here is one of our best singers in the entire school. Why don’t you sing something for us?”

Kyungsoo immediately flinched when he heard the teacher ask him to sing. He’s never sung in front of anyone besides his best friend back in his hometown and even that made his knees quiver. So being asked to sing in front of 20 people was in no way a cup of tea for him.

“Yeah! Sing for us Kyungsa!” A girl in the back row cheered as the teacher corrected her mispronunciation of Kyungsoo’s name.

“I-I c-can’t.” Kyungsoo said shyly as his buried his hands in his pockets. He didn’t want to embarrass himself by singing in front of his peers who already had judged him as soon as he stepped inside the classroom. He didn’t even know whether or not he had a good voice, sure his best friend had told him that his voice was amazing but you can’t really trust your best friend to be brutally honest with you unless the situation was dire. He was so ed.

“Oh don’t be Kyungsoo-shi; I’m sure the class would love to hear you sing.” The teacher smiled as she gently pushed Kyungsoo to the center of the empty space in front of the class.

Baekhyun immediately regretted the decision of raising his hand since all he could see in the other boy’s eyes at the moment was sheer terror. He wondered why the boy was so nervous but everyone was built differently and Baekhyun understood that. He was a social butterfly while Kyungsoo seemed to still be trapped in his cocoon.

“SING! SING! SING! SING!” The class started to chant as Baekhyun frantically tried to convey to his teacher to tell her students to shut up; only, Ms. Kwon herself started to chant a long with the rest of the miscellaneous children.

Kyungsoo opened his mouth to speak but no words came out, his face flushed a bright shade of red as he started to feel the air get lodged in his throat. He twisted his fingers with one another as the feeling of clamminess overcame his digits. He looked at Baekhyun for help before the whole class turned silent.

“Kyungsoo pissed his pants!” A boy by the name of Himchan announced as the whole class once again erupted into a fit of laughter.

Kyungsoo looked down and was mortified when he noticed a slightly darker patch of blue that made it apparent in his navy blue pants. He looked back at the teacher who was trying her best to mellow down the other kids who started to point and gawk at the fact that Kyungsoo had indeed soiled his pants.

He slammed the door open as he sprinted as fast as he could to the nearest bathroom. His hands were balled into fists as he frantically tried to wipe away the falling tears with the back of his palm. He was wiping so hard that his eyes were starting get red and irritated.

He pushed the bathroom door open before he locked himself in the first cubicle he saw. He closed the lid on the toilet before climbing on top as he brought his knees to his chest before burying his face into his knees as he let the tears stream down his face.

“Kyungsoo-shi?” a stranger’s voice called as Kyungsoo placed his palms over his mouth; trying his best to muffle his chocked sobs.

“Kyungsoo-shi, are you in here?” Baekhyun asked once more before he heard what could only be described as a person crying.

Baekhyun neatly folded his spare navy blue pants that he retrieved from his locker before sliding it under the first cubicle for Kyungsoo to change into.

Kyungsoo sniffled before he noticed a pair of black pointed shoes peek through the space underneath the cubicle door, after which a pair of the uniform’s navy blue slacks appeared right in front of his eyes like it was heaven sent. “Kyungsoo-shi, these are my spare pants. You can change into them… if you want to.”

Kyungsoo blinked a few times as he tried to register what exactly was happening. He then slowly unbuckled his belt before removing his pants followed by his underwear. He threw them inside the trash bin since he had multiple pairs of the same clothing back home. His knew his mom was going to kill him but that didn’t really matter at the moment. He reached inside the side pocket of his blazer for a sanitary napkin. He wiped his hands followed by his thighs and anywhere else that felt uncomfortably sticky.

He fitted the pants and thanked God that Baekhyun was the same size he was.

He unlocked the cubicle door and peeked outside and found Baekhyun sitting idly by the bench. He made his way to the sink and proceeded to wash his hands. He studied his reflection in the mirror and noticed how his cheeks were swollen and puffy and his eyes were red with tears still brimmed in the corners. He looked over his shoulder and noticed that Baekhyun wasn’t sitting there anymore.

He sighed before turning around to find the kind stranger right behind him, giving him a mini heart attack as he suppressed his urge to squeal.

“Do they fit?” Baekhyun asked

Kyungsoo nodded “Y-Yes, Thank you…” He couldn’t believe a stranger would be as nice as to him lend him their own pair of slacks to the new kid that he was sure everyone was just waiting to target.

Baekhyun smiled “My name is Byun Baekhyun” He bowed. Kyungsoo bowed in response while thanking the other boy countless of times for helping him.

“I’m sorry… about what happened earlier” Baekhyun apologized; leaving Kyungsoo baffled.

Kyungsoo furrowed his eyebrows. Why was Baekhyun apologizing to him? If anything, Kyungsoo assumed that Baekhyun wanted an apology for using his pants.

“I didn’t mean to make you nervous. I asked if you liked to sing because you seemed so tense and I thought that if I raised my hand to ask you a question, it would loosen you up bit. I didn’t mean for everyone to start pressuring you to sing. I’m really sorry.”

Kyungsoo shook his head “It wasn’t your fault. I-I was just too nervous…” he admitted.

Baekhyun beamed a bright smile “Now that that’s over and done with, let’s go!”

Kyungsoo planted his feet firmly on the ground while he felt Baekhyun’s hands try to tug (unsuccessfully) on his arm to move. “I-I don’t think I can go back there… I’ll just call my mom to pick me up.”

Baekhyun sighed “Don’t be embarrassed, look, if anyone teases you I’ll just kick them where it hurts.”

Kyungsoo wanted to refuse but trusting Baekhyun was the least he could do after the boy had been so kind to let him wear his pants. Still not fully convinced, he walked slowly beside Baekhyun as they made their way back to the classroom.

“Are you sure about this?” Kyungsoo whispered.

Baekhyun nodded before opening the door to reveal a very worn out looking Ms. Kwon.

“Where have you boys been?” She questioned.

Baekhyun gave Kyungsoo a wink before replying. “I was just showing my new best friend here the auditorium.”

Ms. Kwon raised her eyebrow because she knew damn well that that wasn’t the truth but smiled nonetheless. “I see, very well, you boys take your seats and class will begin shortly.”

Kyungsoo followed Baekhyun to the two empty seats in the back, ignoring the snickering and the whispers while the teacher started to chart down her lecture on the blackboard.

The elder sat down and motioned Kyungsoo to sit in the empty seat beside him. As Kyungsoo sat down he felt something hit him in the elbow.

He turned around and found a crumpled piece of paper; he picked it up and locked eyes with Baekhyun who only winked at him before returning his attention to the whiteboard.

Kyungsoo unfolded the crumpled piece of paper, noticing that the elder had written something inside. He read it as it said:

“I really meant what I said when I told Ms. Kwon about us being best friends, I like you, so what do you say?”

Kyungsoo looked back at Baekhyun who seemed unaffected as he continued to watch Ms. Kwon and not at the wide eyed boy next to him.

Kyungsoo took out one of his notebooks before ripping off a page; he scribbled some lettering on it before crumpling it up and throwing it towards the elder, hitting him directly in the forehead.

“Ow!” Baekhyun yelped before getting shushed by teacher.

Baekhyun glared daggers at the younger; who was now covering his mouth, trying his best to suppress his laughter.

He unfolded the paper and saw that Kyungsoo had written down some strange choice of words.

"I don't know, maybe it would be better if I wasn't here."

Baekhyun scrunched up his nose in confusion; he looked at Kyungsoo and mouthed “What does this mean?"

Kyungsoo looked down at his notebook as he began to nervously play with his fingers.

Baekhyun's eyes widenned as he felt a pang in his heart, he finally understood what the letter meant. He carefully stood up from his seat, totally ignoring the teacher’s instructions to sit back down whilst seemingly unfazed by the weird looks he was getting from the rest of the class as he kneeled in front of Kyungsoo’s desk.

He placed his arms around the other boy’s shoulders before he pressed their chests together in a tight embrace. "Don't be stupid."

 

 


A/N: First let me explain the background of this o/s. This was originally the prolouge to a chaptered fic but that went down the drain and I was contemplating whether or not to post the prolouge but I liked it a lot so I just reworked the ending, but the first chapter will NEVER see the light of day.

Please up vote by clicking this! Don't Forget To Subscribe and Comment! Thank you!