Voice of My Friend

Voice of My Friend

I had a friend, Lee Byunghun. He played violin. He died last year. I still can’t forget him. I sometimes see the vision of his. I sometimes hear him play his violin. It had already been fine last year but this year, I hear his voice. I feel like he is calling for help. I can’t concentrate in school.

I was walking home from school. I saw him. Standing at the spot where we first met. The whispers came. Help, please. I closed my ears and walked home. The whispers started again. It was a different whisper. Room 330. Before 17th August, 4:30 PM. Please help. 17th August? Byunghun’s mother’s birthday. It was the day he went to visit his mum on her birthday at 4:30 after school. Today is 16th. 330 was the number of his mother’s room. I remember. He said he was going to visit his mother. That was the last time I saw him. The news said the hospital was on fire. They had got most of them out of the fire but it was too late for some people. They were trapped.

I wanted to find him. I changed my clothes and called my friends. I met my friends at the café where we usually hang out. "You can do this, Chanhee." I told my self. We went to the hospital together. It was quite far.

We reached the hospital. We got there at 3:40 PM. It was kind of creepy. Half of the building was burnt down. The tree had no leaves. It was gloomy.  We went inside. It was dusty and dark. We searched for room number 330. I felt something was next to me. I turned to my right and saw a boy. He was standing right next to me. His face was covered in bandages. Body was covered in blood. I step back with a fright. He came toward me. I was scared. I wanted to scream. But the boy slowly faded away. “Chanhee!! Are you okay?” Daniel came running. “Yeah. Let’s keep looking.” I stood up.

I was searching every room. There was a teenage girl sitting in the corner. I could see her clearly. She stood up and came towards me. Her face was burnt and she was holding a knife. “You shouldn’t have come here.” She groaned. I closed my eyes ready to get stabbed. I waited. Was I dead already? I opened my eyes. Jonghyun and Changhyun were standing in front of me. “Why do you look so scared? I think we’re near room 330.” Jonghyun said while scanning the hallway with his flashlight. “Where’s the room?” I asked. “Keep looking.” Changhyun said and went off with Jonghyun.

The whisper came again. Room 330. I ran as I looked for the room. I was exhausted. I was scared. I wanted to go home but I had to find him. Room 330. I found it. I tried to open the door but it was locked. I used my full strength. BANG! It opened. I look at my watch, 4:20 PM. Before I could enter I was grabbed by my wrist. I turned around. It was the girl who I saw earlier. “Why? Why didnt you come for me?” She said as blood came from . I struggled to get her hands off me. After many tries, she finally let go then faded away. I rushed into the room. I saw him. Lee Byunghun. Lying on the bed lifelessly. I was then grabbed by my ankle. I looked down. There was bloody hand. It was cold. I froze. Slowly the grip on my ankle loosened and faded away. I took a deep breath.

“Yah! You found him?” Minsoo asked. “Yeah.” I said as I pointed on the ground. “I’ll call the police.” Jonghyun said as he took out his phone. I kneeled down next to Byunghun. “I found you. 4:29. Sorry I was late. ” I cried.

“Thank you, Lee Chanhee.”

>>Voice of my Friend: End<<