Part 2

The Game They Played

“This was all Aiba’s fault. If he hadn’t suggested playing a game, then we wouldn’t be in this position. I’ll make sure he’ll regret that suggestion when we get out of this room.” Jun declared.

Mao chuckled. “Remember he’s still part of Arashi. Don’t mince him too much.”

“You’re right. Might as well punch Haruna Ai.” Jun burst in laughter.

Oh Kami-sama, he’s still so gorgeous when he laughs. I think my heart’s going to jump out of my chest any minute now. Mao laughed as well, with her gaze focusing on Jun’s face.

Laughter subsided. It was replaced by silence.

Jun picked up his book again and tried to continue reading. Mao stood up and walked towards the refrigerator. She opened it up and was surprised to see its contents.

“Wow. Perfect. Red wine. Chocolates. Very, very conducive.”

Jun peeped from his book and asked, “Is that all?”

“Well… Numerous cup ramen and bags of chips are on top of it. As for the drinks, there’s only red wine and a few bottles of water.”

“Guess we’ll have to live with it for three days.”

“So much for my diet.” Mao grabbed a handful of chips and tossed it towards Jun. She then held two wine glasses and a bottle of chilled red wine before climbing back to the bed.

Jun popped the cork off and poured them wine. “What? You’re on a diet? But you’re skinny as it is.”

“It’s an inevitable part of being an actress. Everyone needs to diet. Let’s toast?”

“Sure”

“To our friends and their weird games!”

“To our friends and their out of this world dares!”

They clinked their glasses together for a toast before sipping the red wine.

Mao looked straight into Jun’s eyes. “Hmm… Want to play a game with me?”

“Eh?” Jun almost got choked with his wine. “Are we going to lose to Nino this early?” He grinned.

“Baka! Not that kind of game!” Mao slapped his arms playfully. “Let’s play twenty questions.”

Jun sipped his wine. “What’s that?”

“Well it’s a game where each of us ask ten questions each in alternate. There are only three rules. One, you definitely have to answer the question. Two, you must answer all questions truthfully. Three, no repeating of questions. Sounds good?”

“Fine by me. Who goes first?”

“You go ahead. I want to ask the last question.” Mao decided to sit on the floor. Jun followed her and scooted beside her too.

“Hmm… First question… What to ask?” He drank his wine until the last drop. “What will you be five years from now?”

“That’s your question? Really?” Mao was being sarcastic. “Where’s the challenge, Jun-kun?”

Jun poured himself another glassful of liquor. “What’s the matter? It’s just the beginning. An appetizer. The main course will be for later.” He grinned as he filled Mao’s glass with wine as well.

“Fine. Five years from now, I envision myself as a wife and mother of a newly born baby. However I still plan on being in the industry. A few cms and dramas would do. If marriage and creating a family is still out of the question by that time, then I plan to venture into hosting. I truly enjoyed our Kouhaku days and even that time when I hosted for this year’s Japan Academy Awards.”

“Hmm.. I see.”

“Yosh. My turn. Have you ever questioned your uality?”

“Never.”

“Wow. That’s a fast answer. Really? Not even once did you find a man attractive?”

“Nope.”

“Not even your bandmates?”

“Oy Mao-chan, I thought we were going to ask alternately?”

“I mean with all those actions you tend to do with the rest of Arashi, especially Ohno... Hand-holding, putting your arms unto their shoulders, even the once-in-a-blue-moon kisses. Man, it’s really questionable.”

“I’m straight, okay. All those are just completely for fanservice. If you want, I can prove myself to you that I’m a man.” Jun wiggled his eyebrows.

“Baka!” Mao playfully hit him with a pillow. “Your turn.”

“More wine?”

“Sure.” Mao handed Jun her glass.

Jun filled it and then poured himself as well. “If you were not the actress Inoue Mao, then who will you be now?”

“Seriously Jun-kun? Are you going to continue with these types of questions? They’re like questions asked by an interview magazine.”

“Well the point of this game is to know each other better, right? I’m just asking what I want to know.” He flashed that killer smile Mao was already used to.

“Fine. Hmmm… I think I’ll be Inoue Mao, the director.” She nudged Jun to pour her a drink. “There was a point in my life where no projects or offerings were given to me. I really thought at that time my life as an actress was finished. But since I basically grew up in the show business, I still wanted to be part of it, even from behind the scenes. That’s why I was already mentally preparing myself to study directing. But HanaDan came and the rest is history.” Mao finished her drink as she finished her story. “Since I already became an actress, I didn’t pursue that one anymore even when I had the opportunity. That’s why I had a different degree in college.”

“I see.”

Mao shifted closer to Jun. “My turn.” A devilish smile appeared on her face. “How was your first kiss?”

“Soft.”

“That’s it? Elaborate!” Mao poked him in the ribs causing Jun to jump from his seat.

“Oy!” Jun shielded himself from Mao’s hands.

“If you won’t tell, I’ll have to dig it out of you~.” She playfully threatened Jun by wiggling her fingers.

“Okay. Okay. Geez.” Jun went back to his seat. “I don’t really remember everything since it happened in third grade.”

“Wow. Third grade? Someone’s a bit early in the dating game…” Mao teased as she drank her fourth glass of wine.

“She was the most popular girl in class as I was the most popular boy.” He grinned. “She gave me her handmade chocolates to me along with a kiss on the lips. Since then she became my partner in all the school activities that year. In the next school year though, we weren’t that close anymore.”

“Eh… I didn’t know you were already a ‘lady-killer’ in your childhood. But I’m sure with those red chubby cheeks you had back then, any girl would have a crush on you.” Mao pinched the idol’s cheeks. The diva in Jun usually would go DoS if anyone attempted that act on him but Mao was the only exception. He only laughed and pinched back hers. “Oy it’s my turn. Who was your first kiss?”

“Hey! That’s cheating! No repeating of questions.”

“It’s a perfectly different question. You asked ‘how’, now I ask ‘who’…”

“Fine. It was Tetsuya. A friend of mine in junior high.”

“Now it’s your turn to elaborate, Mao-chan.”

“I was one of the boys back then. Almost all on my circle of friends were boys. Among them he was the one closest to me. One time we were playing one-on-one basketball—”

“Basktetball? Really? You were sporty?”

“Yeah. I was even part of the basketball club. I used to be really sporty back then. Honestly, I don’t know where that part of me went, since as you well know, I’m really such a clumsy ditz right now. Anyway as I was saying, we were playing and then we got tired so I lay down on the floor.  He did the same and then we just talked. I remember it was really nice talking to him just about everything. Time went by fast and then it was time for us to go. I was feeling a bit lazy back then so he had to pull me up. But I lost my balance and fell back to the floor. Aiming to protect me, Tetsuya held me. He crashed unto me and unto my lips as well.”

“Sounds like our first kissing scene in HanaDan…”

“I know, right? Well, we ended up dating afterwards. But we split up upon reaching high school. I never saw him since then.”

“Hmm… I see.” Jun noticed that the wine bottle was already empty. He stood up and fetched another one. “We sure do love alcohol. More wine?”

Mao nodded and lifter her glass to him. “Okay. Now for my third question… If Nino has Takeuchi Yuko as his ultimate celebrity crush, who’s yours?”

Jun leaned on the foot of the bed, looking like he’s deep in thought. “Angelina Jolie”

“Playing safe…” Mao did the same and relaxed herself.

“I’m not.” He defended. “I’ve seen her in person and all I can say is that she’s truly gorgeous. And those lips! Man!”

Mao pouted.

“Feeling jealous, Mao-chan?” This time it was Jun’s turn to .

“I’m not!”

Jun chuckled in amazement at Mao’s reaction. “Hai. Hai. It’s my turn to ask. Among all your leading men, who’s your favorite?”

“You know…” Mao’s devilish side started to kick in. Again. “Okada Masaki is such a cutie pie. He even told me that I’m his celebrity crush.” She chuckled which made the idol beside her flinched a little. “He acts a bit shy around me but I find that really cute. Now, Kora Kengo is a real gentleman with his prim and proper ways. He always treats me like a lady.” Jun was getting a bit irritated. This did not go unnoticed to Mao so she continued. “Hmm.. Who else? Ah! That’s right! I never thought Okada Junichi-san would be such a dear to me. He even goes beyond his ways trying to connect with me. Even if I think that’s just part of his work, it’s still nice to think that another idol wants to be my friend.” Mao continued to sip her wine. “But if you ask me who is my favorite leading man…” She looked straight into Jun’s eyes. “Then I guess I’ll go with the one that made me part of an 8-billion yen couple. My Domyouji…” Mao sheepishly smiled. Jun on the other hand tried to hide his glee by gulping down his wine.

“Fufufu~ Someone’s a bit flattered…” Mao poked his cheek to .

Jun just chuckled in response. He didn’t even swat Mao’s hands away. “Oy. It’s your turn now. Shoot me.”

“Okay. Okay.” Mao hugged her knees. “Let’s see… What else to ask? Aha! This one I’m really curious about and I think all your fans are too. If you were a woman, who in Arashi will you date?”

“Now you’re the one that’s like a person from an interview magazine.” Jun pointed out, to which Mao just laughed at. “Well just like Nagase Tomoya-aniki told us before, I guess I’ll pick Aiba-chan.”

“Eh…”

“Aiba is really a kind-hearted person. He’s the type that will surely make a person’s day brighter.”

“I see. I thought he’d be Nino or Riida. Guess I’m wrong. Anyway, go with your fifth question!”

“Who will you date in Arashi?”

Mao was surprised. She wasn’t able to answer quickly.

“What’s the matter, Mao-chan? Cat got your tongue?”

“Didn’t I answer that already in my VIP Room guesting in Himitsu no Arashi-chan?”

“The question then was ‘Who is your favorite Arashi member?”. Now I’m asking you who you will date. There’s a difference.” Jun grinned. It was nice to corner Mao and see her flustered once a while.

“Hmmm... Who to pick? Oh I don’t know. Can’t I just pick you instead?”

“Oy! Oy! Answer the question properly!”

“But I already did! You don’t like it? Well I’ll just pick another member. Maybe I’ll go with Nino.” Another adorable pout formed on Mao’s lips. She grabbed the wine bottle and poured herself another glassful.

“Fine. I’ll just keep in mind your first answer.” Jun winked at her.

Mao blushed. “We’re almost half-way in this game.” She pointed out, wanting to change the topic.”Ja~ For my fifth question… If given the chance back then, who would you pick to play as Makino Tsukushi?”

“I guess I’ll stick with the staffs’ choice.  I mean I was completely satisfied with your portrayal of Makino. With that signature crab-walk of yours and everything…”

“Maa~ I really did love being Makino.”

Meeting Mao’s gaze, Jun asked. “If I were not chosen to be Domyouji, you think we’d become friends?”

“I guess so…” She tucked some of her hair behind her ear. “Our industry is just a small one. One way or another we’re bound to meet. I’m just happy that HanaDan gave us this opportunity.”

Divine. That was the word that can describe Mao’s smile at him after answering. Jun’s face reddened, but it was not entirely due to the alcohol.

Finishing her fifth glassful of the dark red liquor, Mao grinned and asked. “What was the naughtiest thing you ever did?”

Jun smiled, looking all smug. “Are you sure you want to ask that Mao-chan?”

“Yup. Pretty sure about it.” She told him naturally.

“Well then,” Crossing his arms and leaning on the bed, he started. “It actually depends on your definition of being ‘naughty’.” The grin on his face became wider. “Since I really don’t want to ruin myself to you, I’ll just say the more acceptable one. Here it goes.” Jun let out a deep sigh. “There was a time in my early twenties where I was dating four girls at the same time.”

“Four?! And you think that’s acceptable?” Mao was utterly surprised.

“Well,” Scratching his head in guilt, “compared to the other things I did in the past, this one’s the only thing I can reveal for now…”

Mao shook her head in disbelief. Seeing this reaction, Jun further explained himself. “That was all in the past, Mao-chan. Everyone makes stupid mistakes when they’re young. It just comes with the arrogance and stubbornness one has when they’re at that stage. It was wrong for me to do that and I’ve learned my lesson. With all the slaps, kicks, and punches I earned from those girls and their friends, I really did.” He even acted as if he’s still hurt to amuse Mao.

“Aww.. Poor Jun-chan.” Mao touched his cheek but then pushed it in a playful. “If it were me, I’d do more than that.”

If you were to be mine, I’d never do something like that. Jun chuckled at her, having this thought on his mind.

“For my seventh question…” He turned serious-looking. “Who was your first lay?”

“ert!” Mao grabbed a pillow and repeatedly whacked Jun with it.

“Oy! Oy!” He tried to stop her, shielding himself with his arms. “You started it. I was just going with the flow.”

“So you’re actually assuming that I’m not a anymore?” Her right eyebrow was lifted up.

“You could just answer none if you’re still one. But if you’re not, then just give me the name. You’re not obliged to answer in details.”

“Very cunning, Matsumoto.” She gave him a slow clap. “Shinichi. You don’t know him. He’s my last highschool boyfriend. He’s a senpai by a year. It happened after the cultural festival. That’s all I’m going to say.”

“Okay. Fine by me. Your turn.”

Mao fixed her eyes on the wineglass. “Are you dating someone right now?”

Jun was astounded with her question. So she’s curious after all… He beamed. “No. I’m not.” The subtle relieved look of Mao tugged a bit on his heart.

Jun took hold of her hand. “Tell me honestly, Mao. Why didn’t we happen?”

Mao’s eyes became huge as saucers.

“You know perfectly well that I’ve been in love with you since our Hanadan days. It has never changed. I know you already told me the reason why you’ve turned me down back then but I want to know the truth.”

Mao gently removed her hands from Jun’s grasp. “What I said before was the truth, Jun.” She avoided his gaze. “I was young and naïve. Both of our careers were at its peak. I was afraid to lose it all. Call me a scaredy-cat but I really didn’t have the guts to go out with you back then. I’m sorry, Jun.”
Jun stayed silent.

“Did you honestly think our relationship would work out, Jun?” Mao almost whispered her eighth question.

“Yes.” Jun now maintained eye contact. “No matter what problem, no matter what difficult situation, no matter what the consequences are, I was willing to go through all of them...” He tucked lose hair behind Mao’s ears. “If only you’d say yes.” An honest smile appeared on his face.

Jun held Mao’s face and caressed it gently and lovingly. “Can’t you see yourself dating an idol right now, Mao?” His eyes were almost pleading.

All the hurt and guilt Mao had been hiding under her cheerful façade gave way. Her eyes started the waterworks.

“It’s been years since I first asked you but I’m still living with what I felt back then. I actually think my feelings for you even grew stronger after our Kouhaku stint.” Jun confessed, slightly embarrassed. He wiped the tears off the actress’s face.

“You’re so unfair! How am I supposed to answer?” Mao complained with a hint of a smile.

“It’s just a yes-or-no question, Mao—”

Jun was cut off by the act of Mao suddenly shifting her sitting position. She just happened to sit on his lap, straddling him. Then as if it was not enough to give Jun a heart attack, Mao suddenly hugged him.

Though he’s not really sure of what’s happening, Jun decided to let his guard down and indulge in the feeling of Mao in his arms, pressing unto his body. Mao, on the hand, enjoyed the idol’s manly scent as she rested her head unto the crook of his shoulder. They’ve been in this position for Kami-sama knows because it felt truly natural. It’s like they were meant to fit each other’s arms.

“Is this enough for an answer?” Mao finally broke the hug and smirked.

Jun couldn’t help but laugh. “Well, I’m not complaining!”

“Tell me, Jun. What do you see in me? I’m not like those models that have strong features, long legs and nice figure. Why me?”

“Simple. ‘Cause you’re not like them.” He her arms in a coaxing manner. “To me, you’re the perfect girl. The only princess I’m willing to sacrifice my whole life to. My dream. The lone person that could complete this empty life of mine. You can’t be compared to anyone, Mao.”

Blushing from head to toe and feeling all kinds of giddiness all throughout her body, Mao enveloped Jun into another hug. “Thank you.” She whispered.

This time it was Jun’s turn to break from the hug. “Mao, will you give me the chance to prove my love for you?”

Mao could only nod and smile.

“Yosha!” Jun screamed in delight.

“Now, will you finally kiss me?” This was Mao’s last question

“I thought you’d never ask.”

With that, they started a new game of their own.

***


“What do you think they’re doing right now?” Aiba asked as they, the remaining members of Arashi, made their way to their youngest member’s whereabouts.

“Whatever it is, they better be near finishing it ‘cause we’re sooo going to interrupt them.” Nino had this menacing smile which usually means he’s up to no good.

“You think they’d made use of the time to finally settle things up?” Sho asked, with only a few steps away from the room’s door.

“We shall see…” Nino whispered as Ohno inserted the key he borrowed from Haruna Ai.

Much like Enomoto Kei, Ohno skillfully unlocked the said door without a sound. He then slowly opened it, revealing the scene inside.

The boys’ attention was immediately on the bed. White bed sheet and blanket covered the big lumps resting in it. But what actually piqued their interest were the two pairs of feet, intertwined and slowly rubbing on each other.

“Guess I’m going to be 20000 yen richer, boys.” Nino declared, with that signature smug look on his face.