A believable illusion

A love through the dramas

A/N: Hi everyone! I am finally back with a new chapter! Yayy! I am sorry I kept you waiting for almost a month after the announcement but the program of my university was hard as hell! And still is actually, but I had to update the story, so here you go! The chapter you've been waiting for! I am once more sorry for this HUGE delay and I promise not to keep you waiting that long for an update again! 


“Dom! Come here please.” Mr.Hong was heard from the other side of the room and I slowly and unwillingly turned my head to face my professor. I practically tore my gaze away so I could focus on my professor, still feeling the stranger’s stare piercing my skin.

I thought of hiding behind Mr.Hong like a scared 5 year-old that wanted to hide behind her father. I thought of excusing myself and going to the bathroom. And probably staying there until everything was finished and he was gone. Eventually I didn’t follow any of those options and I tried to seem as calm and as reserved as possible.

Why I was so anxious anyway? We had just met at the airport, that was all. Nothing more, nothing less. We were two strangers and I would ensure that it would stay that way.

After a couple of careful steps I reached the two men.

“Dom, let me introduce you to Jang Geun Suk, the male protagonist of our drama.” The professor said in English so I followed his lead.

Jang Geun Suk, so that was his name… Jang Geun Suk, the gentleman that helped me overcome my fear of airplanes…

“I am Dominique, nice to meet you.” I introduced myself as formally and coldly as I could. I tended my hand for a handshake.

There was a moment of silence before he reacted. He looked into my eyes, perplexed by my actions. He looked like he could remember me, like he did remember me… No, that was impossible, probably he wanted something else… After this moment of awkwardness he shook my hand, holding it gently.

“Nice to meet you too, Dominique.”

“You can call me Dom if you want to.” I rushed to say before I could restrain myself. I immediately regretted it and he seemed like enjoying the conflict in my eyes.

“Ok then.” A small laugh was heard coming from him and I tried hard not to look at him to verify my suspicion. “I look forward to our cooperation.” He didn’t let go of my hand until I took it away. He smirked and I smiled as innocently as I could.

“So where are you from? Your name is…” and before he could finish his question, a woman appeared next to him that caught him off guard.

I turned my gaze and faced the girl that suddenly entered our company. She was petite, with olive skin and almond-shaped brown eyes and a tomboyish hair-cut that complimented her face. Her outfit seemed girly, with a cute blouse, a pair of jeans and cute sandals that showed off her perfectly manicured toenails. It was like she came out of a magazine, an advertisement for casual clothing. She returned my stare and smiled at me, demonstrating two rows of perfect white teeth.

“And this is the actress for our female lead role.” Mr.Hong explained as we looked at each other. I returned the smile and she took my hand into her own before I had a chance to give it to her.

“Hi. My name is Park Shin Hye. Nice to meet you!”  She greeted me cheerfully and I couldn’t help but smile warmheartedly. She seemed so kind and gentle, someone I could instantly like.

“I am so glad to meet you too. My name is Dominique, but you can call me Dom.” And with that said I felt like I fixed the blunder I did before. I was friendly with all the stuff so he couldn’t possibly misunderstand it. I was just being kind.

“Dominique! What a nice name!”

“Thank you so much.” My eyes wandered randomly on her and that’s when I noticed that her hand was around Geun Suk’s arm. Her hand? Around Geun Suk’s arm? They were so close they could do that?

“So where are your from? You certainly give off an exotic vibe.” She asked me and I felt my cheeks get warm.

“I am half-french, half-korean. I am Korean from my mother’s side.”

“Oh, so you can speak Korean too?”

“I never learned but I try hard to learn now so please forgive me for the inconvenience.” I instinctively lowered my gaze but Shin Hye shrugged it off.

“It’s nothing to worry about. That’s better for us, we have to practice our English. Don’t you agree Geun Suk?” she asked him and he turned to face me once more.

“That’s right. It’s a fine opportunity to become better at it.” He smiled with his enchanting smile making me blush once more. I was certain my cheeks were bright red but I tried to ignore it.

“I am glad you see it that way.” I answered with a low voice.

“How did you get acquainted with our director?” Shin Hye didn’t lose time. It felt like she didn’t want to make me feel uncomfortable being in silence, so she filled the void with questions. And probably she had many, as did I.

“Dom is a student of mine. She is the best in her class and that’s why I chose her to be my assistant.”

“That’s an exaggeration Mr.Hong. But I am honored that you chose me.”

“Modesty won’t get you anywhere Dom.” Geun Suk said and I looked at him as he crooked a smile, one of those that could cause a heart-attack… Get your act together Dom! His charms don’t work on you, you are here for a job!

“I am sure I will gain experience and I will learn a lot form this project. I am glad that I am able to participate.” I answered, ignoring Geun Suk’s comment. He seemed to enjoy it more than I wanted him to and I started to get irritated. “Once again, thank you so much for this opportunity Mr.Hong.”

“Don’t need to thank me, just prove me that you deserve it.” He said and patted my shoulder with care.

“I most certainly will.”

“Now, now why did we get serious all of a sudden? I am sure Dom will be great!”

“Thank you Miss Park for the vote of confidence.”

“Miss Park? Oh boy, how old do you think I am? You can call me Shin Hye of course. I thought that was clear.”

“Ok then, I will call you Shin Hye.”

“And I am to be called Geun Suk or you can call me oppa if you want to.”

“I will go with Geun Suk, thank you.” I answered immediately and my response seemed to amuse him. My gut was true, he is trouble!

“As you wish.”

“So when will you…”

“Excuse me, but where is the restroom?” I interrupted Geun Suk and I used this excuse to escape for a moment, I needed to catch my breath and I could do that only if I was alone.

“It’s over there.” My professor showed me a sign and I walked to the toilet as quickly and as calmly as I could.


I walked into the female toilet room and I locked the door behind me.

My lungs finally felt free to breathe, my body stopped feeling numb. I was anxious to come here, me an unexperienced student that would work as an assistant director, and now I had to face him as well. How would I focus with him around? He was charming and his attitude was both irritating and enchanting. He could be called irresistible and I didn’t need such a distraction right now. How could I get him off my mind?

I opened the faucet and threw a little water at my face. I needed its freshness to calm me down and return my color to normal. No need to worry Dom, everything will be alright.

No need to hide in the restroom for sure. I took a deep breath and unlocked the door. Thankfully no other woman waited outside the restroom. I walked outside of the room and I heard a voice coming from the main hall. The presentation of the drama had begun and I was absent. Good job Dom!

I entered the room as quietly as I could, I tried to be almost invisible. My company was nowhere to be seen and I thought that they would be in the front, somewhere I couldn’t go without focusing the attention on me, even for mere seconds. So I stayed in the back of the room and took my notebook outside of bag. I tried to take notes, but after a few moments I found it unfeasible. I lost track of their words and I gave up. As I closed my notebook and put it back to my bag, a hand poked my arm taking me by surprise. I turned to look the person that startled me and I got even more surprised when I saw a young woman with blonde hair and bright blue eyes smiling at me. That woman was certainly not a Korean. I didn’t see her before, who was she?

“Are you having a hard time to take notes?” she asked me in fluent English with the most correct accent I heard only in UK films. Probably she was from UK.

“The truth is that I can’t keep up and I don’t understand anything.” I admitted my defeat and she crooked another smile.

“Don’t worry, I will give you my notes. I will write them in English so you won’t have any problem to understand them at all.”

“Thank you so much for the help. I am Dom.” I said without hesitating and she shook my hand.

“I am Alice. Nice to meet you Dom.”

“Nice to meet you too.” And before I could voice my thoughts she answered the question that was still inside my head.

“I am sure you are wondering who I am, right?”

“Did you read my thoughts?” I joked whispering.

“That’s one of my specialties.” She laughed quietly and continued. “I am British but I studied screenwriting in South Korea. I was in love with the Korean culture that’s why I decided to go so far for my studies. And after I finished them I decided to stay here. I am an assistant screenwriter for the drama. This is my first major production so I am super excited! How about you?”

“I am an assistant director, I will help Mr.Hong.”

“You have some major advantage girl. Good for you!”

“Thank you so much Alice. I will work hard so my professor can be proud.”

“I am glad that you see it that way. So now let’s focus on the presentation and we’ll talk later.”

“You’re right.” I agreed and we focused on the presentation.


During the whole time, Alice helped me through the presentation, translated some parts so I could understand the main points and guided me with the slides. She took neat notes, perfectly clear for everyone to understand. I was so thankful I found someone like her at this job, it felt like I could rely on her and I hoped that my instincts were true and we would be friends.

Only half an hour passed and the producer (Alice told me the host of the presentation was the producer of the drama) announced the lead roles and motioned them to come on stage. Even if you didn’t know Korean you could understand that much because Geun Suk and Shin Hye appeared on the stage and a wave of applause echoed in the room. They were the main attractions of the show and apparently they were the only ones needed for the presentation. Probably I would meet the rest of the cast some other day. The actors began to speak, probably thanking everyone and stuff like that. I let Alice watch them carefully without translating, I didn’t think that they would say something I should need to know. If it was, Alice would tell me.

I looked at him and for the first time that evening I scrutinized every single detail about him. I let myself get lost into his essential appearance, his long and slender legs, his slim torso and his shoulders that were slightly wide to distinguish him from a boy. His body structure was that of a young prince, fragile yet firm, slender yet manly, gorgeous yet strict. His black hair framed his face with that high elegance that enchanted you and let you speechless. He was gorgeous alright, no one could deny that.

And there, right next to him, was the girl that was supposed to get in love with him in the drama…

“What a nice couple, don’t you agree?” Alice interrupted my thoughts, only to help me make my final decision.

“What do you mean?”

“Oh you didn’t know? It is said that Geun Suk and Shin Hye are a couple. I think they have confirmed it at the agency and no one had a problem as long as it was kept a secret until the broadcast of the show. They match, they seem such a cute couple.” A part of me didn’t want to hear it. Probably because it hoped that at some point maybe that prince was going to save me from that gloomy reality. I had high hopes for that guy and I didn’t even know it until I found out that he was already taken.

Eventually, Alice gave me the last push I needed for everything to get into place. I didn’t need a prince. I just needed to do my job and that was it.

“Really? They certainly seem cute together. I think I had found out from the first minute I saw them.”

“It’s actually obvious. Even though Shin Hye doesn’t want to admit it, she depends on Geun Suk a lot, you can see that. She is the one that moves around him like a satellite, she probably loves him.”

“And what about Geun Suk?”

“Well, I am sure he has feelings for her, otherwise I don’t think he would be with her, but maybe he doesn’t want to bring his private life in public. I agree with him in that one. Private life is to stay private. If it was only up to Geun Suk, I think no one would ever know. But Shin Hye tends to be a little enthusiastic.” She commented smiling.


After the speeches were over and Alice reassured me that nothing major was said, the crowd got dissolved and small groups of people formed again. Alice and I waited to find my professor and when we spotted him, we walked towards him. I realized a little too late that the couple of the show was with him. And I definitely didn’t want to see him. But what could I do anyway?

“Where were you Dom? I was looking for you.”

“I am so sorry Mr.Hong. I watched everything with Alice. She is the assistant screenwriter and a foreigner like me. She helped with the Korean and gave me notes.”

“Nice to meet you Alice.” Mr. Hong greeted her in Korean and Alice returned the greeting with a decent accent. She was good, I thought and took a mental note to reach her level at the Korean language.

“Hello Geun Suk, Shin Hye. How are you?” Alice greeted the couple like they were friends. Did they really know each other from before? It seemed like it.

“Hi Alice. I see you got to meet our rookie over here.” Geun Suk teased and I laughed so they wouldn’t realize I wasn’t in the mood.

“Yes and she seems promising. I can’t wait to work with you, Dom.”

“Right back at you Alice.” I agreed and before the conversation got out of hand I excused myself so I could take some fresh air.

I went to the balcony and surprisingly no one was there. There was only me and the night, the sky and the full moon to keep me company. I closed all the noise behind those windows and I let myself enjoy the peace the night provided me. My thoughts wandered in my mind, endless possibilities and actions, endless number of paths I could choose. It was a starless sky, a cloudless sky, free of any restrictions, boundaries or barriers. My gaze was lost into the black’s depth, guided by the light of the magnificent moon that shone bright above me. I was alone and yet I was not. I didn’t feel lonely. I didn’t know how I felt exactly. I was so lost in deep thought I didn’t realize someone else walked in the balcony, disturbing the peace that was there before.

“So you came out to take some fresh air?” the voice asked and it didn’t take much effort to know who it was.

“Yes, I did. And what about you?”

“I came to see the girl that took some fresh air.” He gave me a straightforward answer, one I couldn’t just ignore.

“And why you did that?” I didn’t see him approaching me and I was startled when I noticed him standing next to me. He was leaning with his back on the balcony and looking at the bright moon that kept us company.

“You are the girl from the airport.” He stated, he didn’t question, his voice didn’t stutter or falter. He just said it as a fact.

“Yes I am.”

“So why did you pretend that you didn’t know me?”

“I actually didn’t know you. We only met once at the airport. There was nothing more for me to say.”

“Is that so?” the question coming out of his mouth sounded the least weird. I couldn’t determine what feeling was hinted behind that question, but I was certain there was something behind it.

“Yes and I want to keep it that way please. There is no need for unnecessary misunderstandings.”

“What do you mean?” He turned his face and he poured his gaze right into my very soul. Like he put some kind of truth-spell to me, I spoke the answer I honestly thought but didn’t want to express aloud.

“I am sure your girlfriend won’t like it.” I answered cursing myself the moment I said those words. What was wrong with me? I only saw the guy twice and he had this effect on me?

“Oh.” It was the only thing he said.

“As I said I don’t want any misunderstandings.”

“Is there anything to misunderstand?” He smiled, his eyes still focused on mine.

“Is there?” I repeated the question and I waited for him to speak. But he didn’t. He just leaned in, slowly, every inch he covered my heart raced and my body shivered. He shouldn’t affect me like that, why did he? What was happening exactly? I was frozen in my position as I was when I first saw him this afternoon. And he leaned closer and closer… Until he stopped almost an inch from my mouth and my dry lips that ached for something I didn’t dare to admit.

“Are you still afraid of airplanes?”

My mind completely out, it was blank but he found it so amusing he couldn’t stop smirking.

“I haven’t flown since then.” I spoke the truth and it seemed to satisfy him. Why did he need to know that?

“I see.”

“Do you want something else?” I tried to stay calm. I really tried. But I am sure I was found out the moment he did what he did. I didn’t think he would go that far, but as many surprises today, he caught me of guard once more. His delicate finger touched my nose and then his lips landed on my cheek giving me a light peck. He had a girlfriend right? I couldn’t react at the moment so I just stayed still. I wanted to prevent any unfortunate things from happening, like starting screaming or falling off the balcony. I just stayed still as he walked away. I am sure he was smiling all the way.

“I can’t wait to work with you stranger girl from the airport.” And with my nickname on his lips he left me alone once again, to deal with my messed up thoughts and feelings.

                                                 


A/N: So how did you find it? Naughty Geun Suk is messing with her mind, don't you think? ;) 
(P.S. I will update my other stories soon so please look forward to those updates as well :)  )