Definitely Sweet!

Karma

 

 

For two years, I was in love with this certain tanned girl. Kwon Yuri was seventeen, several months younger than me. Tall, with a straight black hair and a deep eyes. I thought she was perfect.

 

Too bad she acted as if I didn’t exist.

 

That wasn’t easy since there were only about a twenty-seven people at the summer camp. When Yuri wasn’t swimming with her cliques, she was sketching away in her sketchbook or playing chess. I didn’t mind as much at first, but when the summer camp came near to end I decided I want her to be my partner for the end-of-camp-dance.

 

Since we spent so much time on the beach, I made sure my bathing suit flattered me. My baby blue bikini gave me the illusions of my iness. My other girlfriends, said it made me look mature and attractive.

 

Yuri never noticed. She was busy playing water polo with her friends, not even spared me a glanced. I consoled myself with the notion that she ignored all people except her friends she made at the summer camp. At least I don’t have any rivals.

 

At night, I whisper to my best friend, Tiffany, who had the bed next to mine. “What can I do to her to notice me?”

 

“I don’t know why you bother,” she’d say. “I don’t think she’s that great.”

 

I’d sigh, “But she’s so charismatic and cute…”

 

“And stuck up.” Tiffany added.

 

It didn’t matter what Tiffany said, my heart set to gain Yuri’s attention. By the end of month at camp, several couples had formed- Yoona and Seohyun, Sooyoung and Sunny, Hyoyeon and Nicole. Yuri remained alone, as did I. That only left me one month to make Yuri become my dance partner.

 

I borrowed a book on chess from one of the counsellors, determined to show Yuri we had something in common. After the first few pages, I felt my mind went haywire with all the terms of the chess. And I wondered, how she was into this annoying board game? Okay, so I won’t learn how to play chess.

 

Less than a week, before the end of the camp, Hyuna; my other best friend who knew all my secrets along bounded into my bed then tapped my shoulder, “You’ll never guess what happened, “she whispered. Without waiting for me to guess, she continued, “Yuri asked me to the dance.”

 

“But…” I started to say.

 

She didn’t give me any chance to finish my sentence. Although she chattered non-stop for another ten minutes, I don’t know what she said. My brain couldn’t take anything after ‘Yuri asked me to the dance.’

 

When her voice finally stopped, I turned my face to the pillow and grabbed the corner between my teeth to stop myself from crying out, “B-But you knew I love her.” She knew. She just didn’t care. In that moment, I lost both my best friend and Yuri. I let the tears slip down my cheek dampen the pillow.

 

Between athletic events, making posters, and coming up with a team song and skit, I had no time to feel sorry for myself during the days. The nights were different. My pillow held my tears and my heart felt as if it were broken million pieces.

 

On last day of poster making, Taeyeon and I were in the and crafts building, putting the finishing touches on a backdrop for our skit; since we were assigned to be in the pair to finish the poster before the summer camp ended. We spent a lot time together. One of the quietest girl, I discovered she had a good sense of humour. We’d often kid each other. I also liked the way she treated everyone with courtesy.

 

“So, what do you think?” I said, pointing to the finished project.

 

“I think you’re really nice, Jessica.” I turned to her, when I heard her statement before awkwardly laughed, “I mean the poster, Taeyeon.”

 

She just smiled, “I’d like to invite you to the dance.”

 

My mouth dropped open, “But…” I stopped to think. I really liked Taeyeon. In working with her, I had begun to realize how much nicer she was than Yuri. But she and Tiffany had been going out for a month. Even if she hadn’t actually asked her to dance, she would have assumed they were going together. We all did.

 

I was tempted. Then, I thought about Hyuna and Yuri. Did I really want to do to Tiffany what Hyuna had done to me? “I’d like to but I can’t.” I said. “It wouldn’t be fair to Tiffany. I’m sorry Taeyeon.”

 

Taeyeon nodded reluctantly before let out a small chuckled, “You’re right. I shouldn’t have asked you. I guess I just wanted you to know that I like you.”

 

We finished cleaning up then went to our own places to get ready for that night’s performance. We shared the final hug before we parted away, at that instance I felt tiny bit regrets for turning down her invitation, but this is for the best. I don’t want another broken heart. It’s enough, if it was only me.

 

When I’m applying some powders on my skin, I heard the knocking door. Looking around, there was only me in the room while Hyuna was busy wearing her strapless dress in the closet and Tiffany went showering after came back from the volleyball game.

 

I dragged my body to open the door and shock seeing Kwon Yuri standing in front of me with a black tuxedo. I composed my swooned expression and cleared my throat, “Hyuna was preparing herself. Please get inside first.” I said timidly widened the door; to let her enter but she just kept staring me with her pair of eyes that I kept fell in love with.

 

There were bitter, pain and hatred in her orbs. She clenched her jaws and balled her fists, make me looked at her curiously; what makes she suddenly become this bitter?

 

“You still can put innocent act after rejecting my invitation?” She said with a deep voice while looking at me directly.

 

I raised my eyebrows, “W-What do you mean? I don’t get it.” Since when she invited me? Didn’t she asked Hyuna for the dance? Is Kwon Yuri is out of her mind? Thousands questions invaded my mind while looking at her; passively.

 

Yuri let out a bitter laughed, “Hyuna told me you rejected my invitation for the dance because you had eyes on Kim Taeyeon. But bad for you, Taeyeon had already asked Tiffany for the dance.”

 

I opened my mouth to reply but no words escaped my mouth, I just looked at her dumbfounded.

 

“Yuri!” I heard a happy chirping voice behind me, before I can blinked Hyuna had latched herself towards Yuri’s body.

 

“Sorry for the waiting.” Hyuna said before gave a kissed on Yuri’s cheek make me glared at her out of my consent.

 

“It’s okay, at least I got to talk with the Jessica Jung.” Yuri smirked arrogantly before turned around, “Let’s go, they have ball-room dance for the first set.”

 

Hyuna just followed Yuri before turned around for the last time gave me a pain in the as* smirked. Because of my holding anger and grudges and grabbed my sandal beside me and threw to Hyuna. But because of my bad targeted the sandal flew to Yuri’s head make she looked back at me.

 

“I hate you Hyuna! You lied to me said Yuri asked you to dance, I never knew anything Yuri asked me to the dance. Y-You stupid b*tch! And I hate you too, Kwon freaking Yuri!” I yelled until I felt my throat burned, but I didn’t give a damn and ran out from the dorm; passing the pair to the beach.

 

After felt my legs wear out I dejectedly sat on the soft sand, careless with the dress I wore that time. I hugged my knees and dug my head on the kneecap and cried my heart out.

 

Suddenly, I felt a warm material covered my bared shoulder make me looked up, seeing Kwon Yuri sat beside me while she was looking intently at the ocean.

 

“I’m sorry.” Yuri blurted out after several seconds. I just kept quiet, still drowning myself with the sadness.

 

“I’m sorry for assuming like a fool. I should just asked you directly, but I chickened out at the last minute, so I asked Hyuna to help me but she said you rejected me harshly. I was mad and I acted without thinking and asked Hyuna to be my partner instead.” Yuri explained to me. I didn’t give any reaction to her explanation make she turned to my side.

 

“I have always like you since the first orientation at the summer camp. But I’m just a coward to come to you and greet you. So, will you forgive this fool that always love you since the first day?”

 

I stood up before brushed my crumpled dress away from the sand. Yuri followed my action; still have her eyes on me make my ears on fire. Fortunately, it was dark so she won’t noticed my flushed face too.

 

“Did you ever notice me, Kwon Yuri?”

 

“Of course! B-But I thought you always liked Taeyeon. I’m jealous when you tried to impress her with your bikini, so I acted cold towards you.” She answered sheepishly, while bushing her finger to the back of her neck.

 

I laughed before stepped closer to her, “Pabo.”

 

Closer, “I”

 

Closer, “Always”

 

A few centimetres, “Have”

 

Closer, “My”

 

Closer, “Eyes”

A few inches, “On”

 

My pair of hands wrapped around her waist, “You.”

 

I landed my head on her broad shoulder, “Kwon Yuri.”

 

I heard she chuckled before I felt her toned arms hugged me back. We swayed a little bit, followed the breeze at the beach direction.

 

“Jessica?” I hummed her a response. She pushed me softly from her shoulder before gave me a breath-taking smiled ever, “I love you.”

 

Gradually, she placed her lips on mine. At first she doesn’t move; let me recognized what’s happening. Slowly but firmly she moved her soft lips against mine. Can’t fight the temptation I kissed her back, followed the slow rhythm let us cherished our first kiss together.

 

We parted away after our magical kiss, she sheepishly placed her forehead against mine. We have a long staring contest before I broke the silence, “What about Hyuna?”

 

“What about her?” Yuri asked carelessly; maybe in dazed after our kiss.

 

“She have a feeling for you.” I stated the obvious.

 

“I don’t care, I have get what I want.” She gave me a small smiled before placed a chaste peck on my lip.

 

“What do you want?” I teasingly asked her.

 

“You, Jessica Jung. The girl I love.” I smiled blissfully hearing her words. I felt like my body floated in the sky; because of the happiness I’m feeling.

 

Now I knew, I had done the right thing in not making Tiffany suffer the way I had. And I was rewarded, when Kwon Yuri, the person I loved was actually love me too. And we’re together. I got the best girlfriend and another true friend, Tiffany Hwang. Karma definitely sweet!

 

 

Just finished my workload,

Just to practice my rusty writing,

Hope you guys enjoy!

-Endaiyy