Cosmic Girl

Cosmic Girl

 

Siwon’s head hung low as he typed the key code onto the pad. When the lock shifted, he finally stepped into his apartment, the one place he had been longing for all day.

 

Once inside, he heard Kyuhyun moving around in the kitchen and saw Daerim drawing at their dining table.

 

A smile instantly graced his lips  as he took off his shoes when he realized he was finally in the presence of his two favorite people.

 

Daerim’s head turned at the sound of Siwon’s rustling near the door.

 

“Wonnie appa!” she beamed as she threw down her crayon and then ran right over to him.

 

He caught her with one arm as she leapt up to hug him. Her arms wrapped around his neck, holding him as tight as she could while her ankles locked around his back.

 

Siwon dropped his briefcase to the floor so that he could hug her back properly.

 

“Hi aegi-yah, did you have a good day?” he asked after giving her hair a kiss.

 

Daerim nodded excitedly as Siwon walked them into the kitchen area.

 

“Uh-huh, I went to school and Hyun Wook brought his bunny to class so we all got to play with it. And his name was Carrot and he was really little, but his ears were really long and his fur was all white and his nose was pink and—

 

When they appeared around the corner, Kyuhyun looked over his shoulder with a smile.

 

“Hi Wonnie,” he said walking over to give him a kiss as Daerim continued on about the rabbit.

 

“Hey baby,” he sighed once they broke apart.

 

“Did you have a rough day? You look really stressed,” said Kyuhyun frowning once he got a good look at Siwon.

 

Siwon let out another long sigh as he put Daerim down, much to her dismay.

 

“Ah, I see,” said Kyuhyun turning back to put the finishing touches on dinner.

 

“It started out fine and then it was just one thing after another, building up, all day long,” started Siwon.

 

“Wonnie appa, come look at my drawing! I drew Carrot so you can see what he looks like now,” said Daerim tugging on Siwon’s hand.

 

“I will Daerim-ah, I promise, but just not right now, okay? I’m still talking with Kyu appa,” said Siwon looking down at her.

 

Daerim dropped his hand with a sad pout and walked slowly back over to the table.

 

“Daerim—started Siwon, now feeling guilty.

 

“It’s okay Wonnie, she’ll be fine. Just finish telling me about work, maybe if you vent for a bit, you’ll feel better,” said Kyuhyun pulling out their dishes.

 

Siwon nodded after glancing over at Daerim who had busied herself with drawing once again.

 

“Well, we were supposed to finish closing a deal this afternoon, but at the last minute, the other party decided they didn’t like the arrangement, so we essentially had to go back and reconstruct it all through a conference call.  Everyone was completely stressed out, because no one in the office can speak Japanese fluently and no one at the other company can speak Korean fluently. It was just a big mess,” said Siwon rubbing his face.

 

“Well, you're home now, with your family. So you can leave all of that behind for a few hours. You have to try and distract yourself with something else so all of this stress doesn’t make you sick,” said Kyuhyun turning to face him.

 

“I know the perfect thing,” said Siwon as he stepped forward and wrapped his arms around Kyuhyun’s waist, pulling him close so that he could rest his face in his neck.

 

“Uh—I didn’t mean…fine,” said Kyuhyun putting his arms around Siwon as well.

 

“These are the days when I miss sweating it out in all night rehearsals with you and the other members,” he mumbled.

 

Kyuhyun giggled, “Now those are words I never thought I’d hear you say.”

 

“Do you think 37 is still too old for me to be an idol?”

 

“Why don’t you ask Hangeng Hyung if 40 is too old and we’ll go from there,” said Kyuhyun with a smirk.

 

“People still come to see you perform, so maybe not,” said Siwon smiling as he finally pulled away.

 

“Yah! I am only 35! And people come to see me sing! Not dance around the way I could when I was 24!” laughed Kyuhyun smacking Siwon’s chest. “Now help me bring these dishes to the table so we can feed our hungry child.”

 

Siwon chuckled as Kyuhyun placed two dishes in his hand and ushered him towards the table.

 

“Daerim-ah, you’ll need to put away your crayons now,” said Siwon as he sat the two dishes down on a clean part of the table.

 

“Okay,” said Daerim and she started scooping up her crayons and putting them back into their box.

 

“Oh wow, is this Carrot?” asked Siwon as he pointed to Daerim’s picture.

 

Daerim nodded as she closed her crayon box.

 

“It’s really beautiful aegi-yah,” said Siwon leaning over her to get a better look.

 

Daerim softly smiled.

 

“I really like how you drew his ears. Are they really this big?” chuckled Siwon.

 

Daerim nodded enthusiastically.

 

“They flopped over every time he hopped!” she smiled.

 

“Well I bet he was very cute. How about you put this on our refrigerator?” suggested Siwon handing it to her.

 

“Okay appa,” she said taking from him.

 

She was about to turn to go towards the kitchen when she suddenly stopped.

 

“Appa can I get a bunny  like Carrot?” she asked with big eyes.

 

“Wha—uh, we’ll have to ask your Kyu-appa,” said Siwon nervously.

 

“Gee thanks Wonnie appa,” smirked Kyuhyun as he walked in with more dishes.

 

“Can I Kyu appa?” asked Daerim looking up at Kyuhyun.

 

“I’ll think about it aegi-yah, now go and put your drawing up so that you can come and eat your dinner,” said Kyuhyun patting her bum.

 

Once Daerim’s art supplies where put away and their dinner was arranged on the table, everyone sat down to finally have dinner.

 

“I think I’ll put some music on,” said Siwon before he picked up his chopsticks. “It’s definitely been one of those days.”

 

“Okay, but so long as it’s not— started Kyuhyun closing his eyes.

 

The opening notes for ‘Virtual Insanity’ started playing and Kyuhyun let out a small groan.

 

“What were you saying Kyu?” asked Siwon as he came back to the table.

 

“Nothing,” smiled Kyuhyun as he placed a piece of chicken on Daerim’s plate, trying his hardest to focus on anything other than the song he had heard way too many times over the course of their relationship.

 

“So, how was your day today baby?” asked Siwon taking a sip of his water as he looked at Kyuhyun.

 

Daerim began bobbing her head from side to side and swinging her feet to the beat of the music.

 

“Well, uh, pretty full actually. After I took Daerim to school, I had to meet with my manager to talk about some show that he wants me to be on.”

 

“Oh really, what kind of show?” asked Siwon taking a bite.

 

“Some type of singing competition show. They want me to be a judge or something. I don’t know. I’d kind of put all that behind me now, so I’m not sure if it’s something I really want to do.”

 

“Well, do you know anyone else that will be participating?”

 

“Not yet, it’s still a fairly new project.”
 

Daerim started humming along to the song now, still swinging her feet and nodding her head.

 

“Hmmm, well, if they're giving you some time to think about it, I’d wait and see what kind of show it develops into. If it’s more comedic, maybe you should pass. But if it’s focusing more on talented singers, why not?”

 

“I suppose.”

 

“What did you do after your meeting?”

 

“Uhhh….oh! I met with Sung Jae Hyung to work on some new songs,” said Kyuhyun perking up a bit.

 

“How did it go?”

 

“Really well. He’s been working on a lot of melodies since the last time we met. So we were able to write a bit, which was great.”

 

 As their conversation carried on, neither man seemed to notice covertly Daerim slip from her chair and move slowly into the living room area, near the stereo.

 

“You know, I’m really serious Kyu. Usually I don’t mind my job, because I’m good at it, and it pays well, so I know that you and Daerim will be taken care of. But days like this have been happening more and more frequently and I’m just wondering if this is what I should stick with.”

 

“Well you know I’ll support any decision you make Wonnie, but I don’t think you should come to one now while you're upset at the dinner table,” said Kyuhyun sympathetically.

 

“I know. But just hearing you talk about your day, makes me miss my old life.”

 

“Well no one’s stopping you from doing that again. I always told you that you should have kept acting and modeling. It would give you the same opportunity to travel and meet different people, just like you do now, but with not as much stress.”

 

Siwon laughed. “You don’t think I’ve lost my charm or looks yet?”

 

Kyuhyun scoffed. “Are you being serious right now? Or are you really just trying to make me laugh?”

 

“Like you said earlier babe, I’m not the same as I was when I was in my twenties.”

 

“No, but you’re only 37 Wonnie and you haven’t changed at all! If you remember, I’m the one who had the kid,” said Kyuhyun.

 

“Yeah, but—started Siwon as he glanced over at Daerim’s empty chair.

 

“Daerim?” asked Kyuhyun now realizing that she was not in her seat either.

 

Both of them suddenly turned towards the living room as they now heard Daerim singing along to the song.

 

“You're just a cosmic girl!” she giggled as she danced around the living room floor.

 

Siwon sat with his mouth gapping open as Kyuhyun palmed his face.

 

“Choi Daerim! What do you think you're doing? Come back to this table and finish your dinner right now!” said Kyuhyun firmly.

 

“But Kyu appa, I really like this song! And I’m full already!” called out Daerim still bouncing around.

 

“I hope you're happy!” hissed Kyuhyun.

 

“Wha—me?!” asked Siwon with a laugh.

 

“You’ve played this album at least once a week since she’s been born! You’ve turned my sweet girl into a Jamiroquai fanatic!” said Kyuhyun trying not to laugh himself.

 

Siwon started laughing hard as he looked from Kyuhyun’s unimpressed face to Daerim leaping and spinning around.

 

Seeing the joy spread on Siwon’s face and his cheeks flush pink, made Kyuhyun soften a bit.

 

“Wonnie appa! Kyu appa! Come dance with me!” squealed Daerim as the song changed once again to another fast paced jazzy number.

 

Siwon stood, still smiling as he walked over to join Daerim.

 

He picked her up and spun her around, dancing along to the beat with her in his arms.

 

“Come on Kyu appa!” she giggled reaching out for Kyuhyun as Siwon held her high in the air.

 

Kyuhyun groaned, shaking his head as the two of them made their way over to him.

 

“The lady asked you to dance sir,” said Siwon as he and Daerim held out their hands for him.

 

“Fine, I’m coming! But why does it have to be Jamiroquai,” grumbled Kyuhyun as they pulled him out of his chair, bringing him close so that all three of them could dance together as a family.