That Summer

That Summer

  A young man walked alone at the beach. The breeze hit his face gently. For once he felt at ease but then his memories of the past ran through his mind. As he stopped walking, he took a look at the sunset wondering why things turned out like it did. Slowly a tear rolled down his cheek.

   He closed his eyes as he had flashbacks at when he first met her.

   He was walking down the same path he was just walking now but that time he was friends. He noticed four girls but one girl caught his eye. She was smiling brightly as ever. The young man's face lit up without him realizing it. His friends noticed and about it, "Hyung, why are you smiling like that?" the youngest of all asked.

  Suddenly a volleyball rolled to their spot, the same girl headed towards them. Ravi grabbed the ball and handed it to the girl he had laid his eyes on since he saw her, "Thank you," she gave him her trademark eye-smile and bowed before heading back with her friends.

  The other guys now knew why he had a smile earlier. As the girl was back with her friends, his friends began poking fun at him, "So that's why you looked like an idiot earlier," the eldest of the bunch nudged Ravi. Ravi had an annoyed look on his face but let it go.

  As minutes passed, Ravi turned to where the girls where at but he didn't see 'his eye-smile' girl anywhere. Somewhat he felt a bit sad about it. Maybe that would be the last time he would see her. "Guys, I'm going to buy some ice cream," he said as he stood up and grabbed his wallet from his backpack. The others began asking him to buy them one as well, at first he refused but then gave in.

  As he headed inside the ice cream parlor, he spotted her. She was eating her ice cream alone at a table in the corner. Again, a smile appeared on his face. He only ordered for himself, and forgot about his friends. He knew he couldn't just let this girl pass by just like that.

  He approached the girl, "Mind if I sit here?" he asked. The girl looked up at him and her eye-smile showed once again. Ravi's heart skipped a beat. The young lady shook her head, "No I don't mind, go ahead."

  It was silent for a few seconds until Ravi broke the silence, "I'm Ravi nice to meet you," he smiled as he stood out his hand. As she smiled, she shook his hand, "I'm Minah, nice to meet you too,"

 As time, days, weeks, and months passed the two already knew so much about each other and became close friends. Ravi never once regretted making the first move.

  Ravi opened his eyes and sat on the sand. He took a look at his ring. It was a couple one. As he laid down, he saw an airplane. "You're probably in that plane, leaving me already," again tears rolled down his cheeks.

  Minah's parents decided to to send her off to study abroad for a few years. When Ravi heard the news, he was devastated. He felt as his girlfriend was abondoning him. He was afraid that she would fall for another man but then again he knew that she wasn't capable of doing so.

  Ravi sighed and wiped his tears away when suddenly a voice echoed calling his name. He ignored at first and began listening to the waves of the ocean.

  "Ravi!"again he heard it. He sat up and looked until his eyes spotted a familiar figure. The figure ran towards him. Surprised, he quickly stood up but didn't budge.

  As the figure approached him with a hug, he smiled to himself, "Minah what are you doing here? I thought you were supposed to be in a airplane now!" he questioned as he hugged the girl tightly.

  Minah looked at him, "I couldn't leave you," she continued to hug him. He smiled as he pulled away from the hug. Gently he cupped her cheeks and lightly pecked her lips.

  "When I was at the airport I remembered about that summer when we met. That's when I knew that I loved you too much to even leave you. I knew you would be here, that summer I found the love of my life," Minah said as she hugged him once again. Ravi was content in what he just had heard. Meeting her that summer was fate.