Recovering a Leader

Recovering a Leader

It was 2:37AM, and practice had just ended. You and the CEO were watching carefully as the members had finished their last round of Destiny routines. Satisfied with their performance, the members began packing their things to go home. Everything seemed normal to you, until you noticed Sunggyu in the corner of the room. He was bent over and coughing violently.
"Sunggyu, please come here," you said, reaching your hand out to him. "You have been practicing well, but aren't you pushing yourself too hard?" You brought him a chair, and he sat down. It took him a while to stop coughing.
"I'm fine," he answered, "the air is just really heavy in here." He did not sound very convincing, and you knew there was more to it than that. It was hard not to notice how much dedication Sunggyu had been putting toward the group. Even when practice would end at dawn, he would always stay behind to work on his part while the others went home to rest.

 

Enough was enough. "Sunggyu, practice has ended for tonight," you said sternly. He protested, but you would not hear one word of it. You knew just what would help him feel better. He gathered his things, and you led him out of the building. As the two of you got into the car, he had another coughing fit. You gently rubbed his back, hoping that it would stop soon. It pained you to see him in such a state. When his coughing finally managed to die down, you started the car and pulled onto the road. It wasn't until you drove past the road that led to Infinite's dorm that Sunggyu became apprehensive.
"Where are you taking me?" he asked.
"Somewhere you can rest," you answered, "dinner is on me tonight." Sunggyu did not object. Being the leader, he was usually the one who treated others to dinner, so this was a rare opportunity for him. His confusion grew again, once he noticed you drove past every restuarant and out of the main city.

You pulled into the parking lot of an apartment complex, and the two of you got out of the car. Sunggyu did not seem pleased.
"Why are we here?" he asked, "This isn't a restaurant."
"This is my apartment," you said, "I'm going to be cooking for you."
"What? But that's too much work! It's late, this isn't -"
"Sunggyu, it's fine," you interrupted, "Please calm down, or you'll start coughing again." He blushed. "Do you have a change of clothes in your bag?"
"No," he answered quietly. "Not anything clean, at least."
"Ah, no worries... I'll see if I have something your size."

As the two of you headed up the stairs to your apartment, Sunggyu had another coughing fit. You immediately went to aid him. You took his bag, put his arm around your shoulder for support, and made way to the door. You unlocked it, and led him inside onto the couch to lie down. His coughing stopped shortly after. The two of you took a moment to breathe.
"Are you okay now?" you asked. He nodded. "That's good, now just stay here and relax." Relieved that Sunggyu was finally laying down, you headed to the kitchen to start dinner.
It was a strange feeling to have Sunggyu in your apartment, especially so late at night. You hoped this would help him get back to his old self, the leader who knew how to take care of himself and s, the happy Gyu! He was a good role model when it came to work, that you were sure of.

Sunggyu was in the middle of napping by the time you arrived with a tray. The smell of food woke him up, and he gave a start. "Sorry for the wait," you said. Sunggyu shook his head and stated that he was merely closing his eyes. His expression lightened as he took a closer look at what you had made.
"Wow, this looks delicious," he said. You smiled. There were chopped carrots, rice with curry, stir-fried beef and some red ginseng to wash it down. "Thank you so much... I'm sorry for being such a burden."
"Don't be silly, Sunggyu," you reassured him, "even a leader needs someone to lean on once in a while... It can be pretty lonely sometimes, but when we're together, the loneliness disappears." He silently agreed. You watched him take the first bite, happy to find that he enjoyed it.
"I guess living alone forces you to cook diligently," he said.

"Of course it does," you laughed, "but to be honest, the first time I started living alone, I lived off of instant rice for a year!"
"Yet here you are, scolding me for being unhealthy!" he joked.

The two of you chatted wistfully as he finished his meal. Afterwards, the time had come to decide sleeping arrangements. Sunggyu suddenly became flustered by the notion of taking your room.
"I wouldn't feel comfortable taking your bed," he said, "After all you've done for me already... I can stay here, on the couch."
"Nonsense," you said, "my bed is very comfortable, I would prefer if you took it. You're here to rest, not to argue, remember? I'll be fine sleeping on the couch... Oh, that's right!" you had almost forgotten to check for a change of clothes. "I'll be right back."

Sunggyu curiously watched you leave to your room. You began searching for a T-shirt and pants that would fit him.
At long last, you came across the perfect fit. You headed back to the living room, and were surprised to find him nowhere in sight.
"Sunggyu," you called, "where have you gone?"
"I'm in here!" You heard his call coming from the kitchen. As you entered, you caught him washing the dishes. "I couldn't be happy with myself unless I helped out in some way."
"Sunggyu, please stop!" you exclaimed, "I want you to rest, not do housework."
"But -"
"Look, I found some clothes for you." You showed him the oversized T-shirt and pants.
"Those?" He held back a laugh, "I wonder why you have those, since I can't imagine you wearing something like that. It's too big, even for me." He joked, "Did you lose weight?"
"Very funny," You shot him a threatening look. "They were my past boyfriend's. He left them here after we broke up. I managed to get rid of the things he left behind, but it seems that I must have forgotten these."
The mood became somber for a moment, but Sunggyu broke it.
"Then I'll wear them," he said "to show you how grateful I am to have someone like you in my life." You immediately grew shy by Sunggyu's sudden charisma. Regaining your composure, you handed him the clothes, directed him toward the bathroom, and excused yourself out of the room.


"Hey," Sunggyu appeared at the door of your room, moments later. Even though the change of clothes were a size too big, he looked rather handsome in them. "I'm sorry. Did I say something wrong?" He looked very concerned.
"No," you answered, "I was just taken a little off guard. No harm done." You gave him a smile as he cautiously entered the room. Still opposed to taking your bed, he asked once more if he could sleep on the couch instead.
"Sunggyu. I want you to be comfortable. Please, take my room. Or do you not find it to your liking?"
"That's not it," he answered, "I just don't want to impose. Your room is very... Cozy." You thanked him.
"Then it's settled. Sweet dreams, Sunggyu. If you need me, I'll be in the living room."
"Wait..." He took a step forward. He wrapped his arms around you, and you felt a sudden rush as he buried his head on your shoulder.

"Thank you so much, for everything..."