I Am

I Am

 

I hated bring jealous, it made me felt like I’ve wasted all my time for nothing, I really did hated to be jealous, but no one stopped me from doing what I was already doing so I did what I did.

We were always childhood friends; we weren’t the best of friends, but friend, we would run back and forth because we lived close to one another, we would ask each other for help on homework or projects and so on, that was the kind of friend we were.

I didn’t want it to end this way, when I realized I started to fall in love with the son of a lucky if I may say, it was too late, he left me for someone else.

Someone else?

Yes, someone else.

She was pretty and smart and everything a boy would ask for, clique? And by chance, that same girl liked him back and from then on, I was shunned and isolated, no one would talk to me.

Why?

He WAS the only one who did after all.

I couldn’t stand for it, I didn’t want it to happen to me, I was selfish, I wanted him all to myself.

Not possible, but I will make it happen.

It was school and I walked in the room Ryutaro looked up in surprise.

“Oh Kufu-Chan, What are you doing here?!” He stood up, I angrily stomped my foot and pouted.

“You’ve been spending less time with me ever since you started to go out with that little Suzuya girl over there” I made a hmph sound after I was done talking.

“Hakufu, you know I don’t have time for you anymore and I thought you understood!”

Him, who was also peeved by the girls’ ridiculous attitude, stood up and crossed his eyebrows.

“I understand but you don’t have any time at all?” I emphasized the word any.

“You’re being unreasonable.” Ryutaro sighed.

“Of all people, you are blaming ME for being unreasonable?”

“You’re simply overreacting.” HE said as a matter of factly.

“Oh my goodness, I can’t believe you just said that, of all people, I’m overacting are you crazy? Fine, we won’t be friends anymore.” I said, teasing a bit and l turned to walk away until Ryutaro grabbed my arm.

“Fuku-Chan, You know I didn’t mean it that way.” He sighed.

“Don’t Fuku-Chan me, I don’t care anymore.” I brushed his hand away and walked off.

I thought that would work, but no it didn’t, it got worse and worse, I knew I had made the wrong decision when a few weeks later, he gave me a distant look, like now, he has forgotten my presence.

“What has gotten into you?” I spoke out loud to myself.

Truth is, I really like Ryutaro and now that he still has that rotten old girlfriend of his, I really don’t know what to do.

Why?

Why is it her and not me?

What?

Making excuses to not to see me.

When?

When will you realize I’m here too?

How?

How can you not notice my obvious feelings towards you?

Forget it, I don’t think that in the end it will be worth all my effort, I think I should just stop and forget everything and from then on, I moved on, I changed into a better person.

How?

Simple, I cut and curled my hair, got rid of my big glasses and got thin framed and contacts instead. I gave up being snobby too and now that this dramatic change had occurred, everybody paid attention to me now.

Except for him.

I don’t care anymore.

Or do I?

But as each day went by I saw that him and his girlfriend were rather distant and one day he approached me.

“Hey, I’m sorry I said you were overreacting and ignored you, forgive me please?” He asked.

I looked at in disbelief and shock and hurt, as tears sat on the edges of my eyes, ready to slide down my cheek.

“You waited 7 months to apologize and to make it worse, after I forced myself to change because of YOU? Ryutaro, you’re certainly a little late. I don’t know what I see in you.”

But then on, no matter what, I thought more and more about him, I couldn’t help it and I couldn’t do anything about it, I felt helpless.

2 years have passed and gradually we became friends again, after his desperate attempts of grabbing my attention, I didn’t want him to embarrass me nor himself in public anymore, we we’re friends, after a while, did we both know it was something more.

Present

“Woooooooowww, mommy, that’s what happened?”

“Oh no, there’s more.” I laughed and hugged her.

Suzuya Morimoto, my daughter’s name. Why I decided to name her, that. I’ll leave it up to your imagination