Of the sentence he regrets saying it (or not)

Of The Hazel Eyes and The Crooked Teeth

A/N : This is just a random thing I wrote when my internet suddenly went down. I love Ara and I love Onew. I really love writing about them. I even thought that the sudden change of Onew's ideal type was because of Ara.

I will post other chapters as soon as I finish them. They will be in random sequence.

 

To say that Onew is shocked is understatement.

He never expects that the little slip out he said in his recent interview is actually printed out as it is.

“I mainly hang out with Lee Joon and Go Ara,” it says.

Now what he really wants is calling Ara and explains to her. It’s been a while since they contacted each other and to have her name randomly mentioned in his interview is pretty much awkward. He keeps dialing Ara’s number and she is still not picking up.

Maybe she’s filming. There’s no way she’s not picking up because of she’s annoyed that her name is included in the interview right? Right?

Seeing their hyung pacing up with magazine rolled up in his hand, hair all mused up with hoping stare at phone is actually an entertainment to SHINee members.

“Hyung, are you that worry about the interview?” Jonghyun asks.

Onew finally breaks the stare fight between him and his phone, ”yes,” he pouts, “what if Ara is upset and doesn’t want to talk to me anymore?”

Key scoffs, “You’re being ridiculous.”

Even though he is actually the most ridiculous in the room right now with his half done blond hair, transparent mask protecting half of his face, green raincoat, and another raincoat layering the floor, yes he is the one who’s ridiculous, Onew thought. Oh don’t forget that he’s actually attempting to do nail polish in that condition too.

“Why would she?” Key asked again.

“Well, it c-can be annoying right? To be labeled as someone’s close to me when you actually don’t think so?”

“Hyung, please,” Minho said with his concentration still glued in the soccer game he plays with Taemin.

“Ara noona is one of your good friend hyung, if not more,” Taemin adds.

“And there’s no way she’s upset over this small matters,” Key chimes in.

Onew’s face is contorted in deep thinking. Well, they are right. But it’s been months since they talked. And actually he was just being in his blunder self, to actually said that his close friends were Lee Joon and Go Ara when the question of which celebrity was closest to him was presented. If he’s being the diplomatic leader of SHINee his answer pretty much would be a random pick of SM male seniors like Super Junior or DBSK or any senior gag women he knows, but no, he was the honest and unconsciously hopeful Lee Jinki that time. So, they are Lee Joon who is his confidante for all the pain and stress of being celebrity and Go Ara who is his.... his...., he doesn’t know how to describe Ara’s presence in his life. But he’s sure he cherishes Ara dearly in his heart. Go Ara, the ever so bright senior he met in his pre debut days, the best supporter of his painful restless debut days, the most hard working girl he ever met, the girl who cried on him when she told people on the internet hate her, the girl who asked who would come to her birthday party with insecure hazel eyes.

Onew chuckles at that memory. Of course her fans would come. People love her.

He couldn’t forget the slight kiss on his right cheek her gratitude for his MC gigs that night either.

But that’s that. The ever so much romance he wished happened the first time he met her have to be buried deep since he doesn’t want anything destroy their good relationship. Well, cliché. But that’s how much he cherishes her.

“Hyung, stop doing that.”

“Hm? Doing what?”

“That,” Jonghyun pointed at his lip. Ah, that. He still can’t get rid of his bad habit of biting his lips when there’s something in his mind.

“Hyung, it will be fine. Ara must be busy right now, she’ll call you la-“ Jonghyun’s sentence is interrupted with the loud ring from Onew’s phone.

Ara is calling, it says.

“Ha. Told you.”

Onew hurriedly answers the phone, “H-hello?”

Yes Oppa, did you call me? I was filming.” Her sweet voice rings through the line.

“Um, that, I just want to ask how are you,” he goes to his room avoiding the curious and expectant eyes following all his actions.

She chuckles over the line. Her voice sounds like a melody in Onew’s head.

“I thought you would never call, Oppa.” Onew bites his lips, waiting her to continue. “I’m okay. Busy as usual, but overall I’m all good. How about you, contemporary band bitnaneun SHINee leader Onew?”

Jinki smiles, she’s still being herself. “I’m good too.”

“Then how about the 24 years old scientist wannabe Lee Jinki?”

“I’m not a scientist wannabe, Ara. But yeah, I’m fine.”

She laughs. “But, you are!”

They let the comfortable silence around them for a while.

“Ara-ya, do you happen to know my latest interview with Singles?”

“No. Why? You didn’t propose me on that interview right?”

Onew chokes. Well, the idea is tempting.

“Ha. Why would I do that? I just wonder that would you upset if I mentioned your name in my interview.”

“That depends, Jinki-ssi. Of how exactly my name is presented,” she teased.

“Well, they asked who’s my close celebrity colleagues and I answered I mainly hung out with Lee Joon and Go Ara”, he explained.

Ara’s silence makes Onew nervous.

“You lied.” She sounds stern. He knew it. She won’t love to be labeled as his close friend.

“You lied. You never hang out with me anymore!” she whines.

“I’m so sorry, you are so busy. I don’t want to disturb your schedule.” He didn’t expect that she would be angry over the lack of interaction they had.

“You always hang out with Joon-ssi and you left me alone!” she whines more.

“I’m sorry Ara-ya. To be honest, I actually only mentioned Joon in that interview but they kept pushing me to mention a girl name, and the first name I thought was you...”

“Fine.” She finally says.

“Is it safe to assume that you are not angry that I said you are my close friend?” he asks carefully.

“Why? I AM your close friend oppa. Your rabid fans would not haunt me because of that right?”

Jinki winces, well he never thought of that. That actually was supposed to be the first thing he worried.

“No?” He is actually not really sure about that.

“Oppa.”

“It’s okay, you didn’t say you love me or anything like that so I don’t think they would hurt me. Ah they will haunt my hompy though”

“I’m sorry.”

“It’s okay Oppa. I think the director calls me. Promise to hang out with me soon, ‘kay?”

“Okay. Good luck with the filming. Talk to you later.”

Then the line goes dead. Jinki exhales. Ara is not upset. She thinks she’s his close friend too. That alone makes him smile like stupid fool for a while. That night Onew calls Ara for a quite good time. Telling her stories of what happens months without her in his own schedule. Telling her of his latest failed attempt of composing. Telling her of the stupid things he did to just hear her melodious laughter over the phone.

 

 

Little that Onew knows that in her way home after filming Ara actually grabbed a copy of Singles, cut that particular question, framed it nicely, put it on her bedside table, smiles on it for a long time. The smile grew wider when she red Jinki-oppa ♥ is calling displayed on her phone.