Chapter One

It's More Than Just A Game
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

●●● Chapter One

The main tennis court of Rikkai High was full of people bustling about, eager to join the national champions. Despite the absence of the female captain and male vice-captain, the sign-ups were running smoothly with the aid of the senior members, along with the help of the male captain and female vice-captain; Shin Hyung Jae and Park Soyul.

“All right, first years line up here!” Soyul shouted out as she directed the excited freshmen. She took a look over at the boys’ side of the court, jealous that things were running so smoothly for them. Despite having most of their senior members helping out, things weren’t running as smoothly for them as it was for the boys’ team.

“Hey!” a young voice shouted out in the girls’ side of the court, gathering the attention of those around her. “Who’s strong here?” the voice asked in an arrogant tone. “If you’re strong, step up. I want to play a match!”

Everyone turned their attention to the young blonde girl, surprised at her words. “You’re not supposed to play matches without the captain’s consent.” Ji Su, a girl with long brown hair spoke up. “Just complete the sign-up today and you can start playing matches in the next practice.”

“I don’t have the time to wait ‘til next practice, old hag!” the girl snapped back, earning herself looks full of shock and anger. “How about this? If I beat everyone who steps up for a game, I become captain?” she said with a smirk.

What the hell?! Old hag? This bratty kid!

Ji Su cursed the freshman silently with a smile on her face, hiding her anger. “I’m sorry, but that’s not going to happen.” she said as politely as she could. “Like I said, no matches without the captain’s consent.”

“Your captain’s not even here.” the girl scoffed. “Someone so uncommitted to her team doesn’t deserve to be captain. I heard a lot of rumours about her being really strong, but I guess they’re just rumours.” she said, provoking the senior members. “She must be hiding away somewhere after hearing that I was going to come here to beat her down.”

“What the hell?!” one of the girls snapped. “Soyul, let me beat this kid!” the girl asked, turning to the vice-captain. “She can’t just insult us like that and get away with it.”

“Uhh…” Soyul paused with a troubled look on her face as she thought of what she should do. “I suppose a few games wouldn’t hurt anyone.” Ugh, I hope Sun Young gets back quick.

 

“That’s it for now.” Min Soo spoke as he got up from his seat. “Dismissed.”

At his words, the members of the disciplinary committee got up from their seats and left the room except for his own cousin, Vi An.

“Hey, hyung,” Vi An said, addressing his elder cousin. “Are you heading to the court now?” he asked with an innocent smile plastered across his face.

“Of course.” the dark haired boy replied. “Coming?”

“Of course!” the young boy replied happily, following his cousin out the door. As they walked down the corridor, he came to a stop when he noticed his cousin had stopped, covering the lower half of his red face with his hand. Following Min Soo’s eyes, his gaze landed on a girl with straight brown hair, staring up at the notice board.

Hm? If I remember correctly, that’s Kim Ji Hae who just transferred here sometime around last year. Staring back at his elder cousin, he guessed what was going on, and found himself to be in slight shock. Whaaaat?! When?! How did I not know about this?!

As the questions filled his mind, he snapped back to reality when Min Soo started walking again, and Vi An followed behind him promptly, bringing his black and white plush toy to his chest as he hugged it tightly while his eyes that remained hidden from view glistened with determination. I’ll have to find out more about that girl.

 

“Hey sis…” a soft voice called out as its owner gently shook the sleeping girl by her shoulders. “Sis…Kang Hyo Rin!”

“Uh? What?” the girl jerked up, waking up from her sleep. She had dozed off in class earlier and remained asleep long after class had ended. Looking to the voice that had called her, she smiled widely as she pulled her younger brother into a hug. “Ahh, my cute Minhyuk! Did you come to get me?”

“I figured that you would fall asleep in class.” he sighed at his sister, shaking his head. “The tennis sign-ups are today, remember?”

“Ah! That’s right!” she exclaimed, suddenly standing up from her seat. “Ah geez, we’re so late now. Sorry, let’s go!”

“Pack up your stuff first.” Minhyuk smiled as he helped her tidy up her belongings that were laid out on her desk.

“Thanks.” the dark haired girl smiled as she packed up her belongings. Looking out the class window, she stopped her actions momentarily as she observed the president of the drama club resting against the large tree by the soccer field. An affectionate smile made its way across her face, but her brother quickly brought her back to reality.

“Ready?” he asked her, to which she nodded.

“Let’s go.”

 

With a sigh, Sun Young got up from her seat, tidying up the papers in her hands. The student council meeting had gone on much longer than she had hoped, and she wanted to get to the court as soon as she could, somewhat anxious about the sign-ups. After she filed away the notes she had taken on the meeting, she grabbed her tennis bag and headed for the door, pausing for a moment to wait for her brother.

“Come on, we’re already late.” she said, ushering Ryu Han to pick up his pace.

“Yes, yes. I’m coming.” he said as he picked up his backpack, following behind Sun Young.

As they made their way down the corridor, Sun Young paused for a moment, looking out the window to watch what was happening on the main tennis court. She frowned as she observed the movements on the court; a match was clearly being played without her consent.

“Oh, looks like there’s some trouble on your court.” Ryu Han smiled, earning himself a short glare from his sister.

“Let’s go.” she grumbled, picking up her pace as she rushed out of the building and headed towards the court.

 

“Ahh…what should I do?” Soyul said to herself as she panicked over the situation. All of the members who had challenged the newcomer were beaten, and she racked her brains f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter