The Moon's Children

The Moon's Children

         The summer that carried everyone's feelings went by too fast. 

  

 

       Autumn is an artist. The roads are covered in red, orange and yellow leaves making it seem as if it will burst into flames. With crunchy leaves on the sidewalks and chestnuts on trees, autumn just seems to be filled with laughter and happiness. 

  

 

       Winter is where it seems as if everything was placed on a sliver platter. It's cold and shiny. The snow shimmers under the sun with glee. Snowballs are made and snowfights happens. Sometimes, it is silent on certain days and extra pretty on other days. 

  

 

       Spring is a time where it's filled with new life and new beginnings. April showers do bring May flowers. Children put on rainboots to dance in the rain. It's as if it is a sign of freedom and stress – free. Flowers grow in different colours and the snow is finally clearing out. 

  

 

       But summer is something else. Summer tends to hold everyone's feelings. It is almost as if it was a tug – o – war. It just pulls and pulls. Well, at least, just that summer. 

  

 

       There is a story that goes around in these parts of the forest in which one child of the moon fell in love with a mere human being. The elders would tell the children around a small fire. It was told every once in a while that way they wouldn't be scared of the howls and growls at night coming from the forest. They were friendly beings after all even if they killed once in a full moon. 

  

 

        The summer it happened, it pulled the two as if the strings of yarn were getting tangled. He sniffed the ground filled with many green leaves and fallen branches. Scrunching his nose, he picked up a trail. A divine and sweet scent that cannot be mistaken for another. He looked around and spotted no one and so he continued this delightful sight. The air that day was crisp and silent. There, in front of his chocolate orbs, stood an angel. An elegant angels with pearly white feathered wings. Or at least that's what the man with the chocolate orbs saw. “Mate,” he whispered into the colourful winds.  

   

 

       Before falling in love, he would howl on lonely full moon nights. Just wishing upon stars and airplanes for his one and only. It made him wonder if he would ever deserve such a love. He was different from others. Unloved by many. Wanted dead by many. However, he was also seen as a myth. A person who is only told in stories. Just like this one. 

   

 

        He was known as a child of the moon. The children of the moon were also known as wolves. By day and most nights, they were human beings with sharpened senses. It was very supernatural – like. This particular one was tall and handsome. If others saw him, their hearts would beat quickly. He was a shy man filled with curious wonders and hope. 

  

 

         However, by full moon, the moon's children were scary. Their eyes filled with midnight horrors. Their canine teeth so sharp and jagged as if they could sink their teeth and rip other beings apart. Their fur, on the other hand, shined brightly just like the moon. 

   

 

         When he morphed into a wolf, his fur shined just like the moon but also like polished bronze. He lived in the woods alone in fear of hurting others. He didn't want to be seen as a monster. No one knew of his existence. Until he stood in front of his one and only. 

  

 

        His angel turned around and stared at him with doe wide eyes. “Oh, I'm sorry,” he softly said, “I didn't notice you there.” His eyes were alluring and sensual. One can tell that they were truly smiling from the heart. He smiled softly at the moon's child. O, it was a smile to die for. 

  

 

       His heart burned with ember and cackled; burning it with tendered love. He looked at his pinky and timidly smiled. Fate. 

  

 

       It wasn't long until they finally introduced one another with their names. Countless nights; they counted the stars and truly fell in love with one another. They would lay on the fresh and lush grass as they searched high and low for different shapes in the fluffy clouds.  

  

 

        When it was finally full moon, the child sobbed, “I'm a monster. You shouldn't love me. I should be killed. You shouldn't be near me. I might hurt you. I don't want that.” If he could, he would cut that red string attached to his and his lover's pinky. However, he didn't have the guts to do so. 

  

 

        He screamed and he roared as his human skin transformed into fur. He was down to four legs instead of two. The bronze wolf whimpered as he ran off into the woods; leaving his angel alone. When he is in this form, he can't control his emotions. He can't control his horrible behaviour. He killed anything in this form. A monster, his mind would tell him. A killing machine. He killed animals in the night and when it was finally morning, he would ache in pain and cry in shame. 

  

 

       This is a curse, he would scream in his mind. If it was possible, he would rip his brown hair out. When the moon went down, he would turn back into that tall handsome man with red thick blood dripping from his lips. Just like any normal day, he walked back into his little home. Only to find his angel starring at him with even wider eyes. They were filled with fear. 

  

 

        “I'm sorry but this is who I am. A monster. A child of the moon,” the wolf man's eyes crinkled with tears falling like morning dew. His hands trembled as he looked at the dry blood staining them. He wouldn't be surprised if his lover left. He isn't meant for love after all. 

   

 

       He expected to hear fading footsteps and a door slammed shut. Instead, he got a tight hug whilst soft hands rubbed his back. “I love you,” he whispered softly.

  

 

        “Me too.” 

  

       The angel didn't mind that this was how his lover was like. Love always had obstacles, right? 

  

 

        After many years of convincing, the couple finally moved into the city life. The child was still wary even after living there for so long. He was scared to be discovered. Every full moon, the newspapers read: Struck Dead at Full Moon Once Again. 

  

 

       Instead of killing small animals on full moon nights, it went to killing humans. It was a typical change considering they were now in the busy city. When he got home, his angel would frown and cry a little.  He couldn't handle it anymore.

  

 

        Then it turned into the angel crying himself to sleep. Muffled sobs that made the wolf cry himself to sleep as well. His mind chanted, monster, monster, monster. The house that used to be so lively with love and laughter turned into a silent one. His angel couldn't dare look at him in the eyes anymore.  

  

 

        One day, love just wasn't enough to keep the doe eyed man by his side. In turn, the monster grabbed a pair of scissor to cut that red string he couldn't see; he just didn't want his other half to suffer anymore. 

  

 

        He let his angel fly into the blue skies away from him. You are my dream but if you aren't happy, I don't deserve you. Forgive me if I can no longer smile. I am scared that if I am happy just for one more second, everything will come crashing down. I don't think I can handle that again. You will be much happier without me. I don't want to interfere with that.  

       

 

        And soon after that, the only person who kept by his side was his own shadow. That is how the elders would end their story about the moon's children. However, the little kids sitting by the flickering flames would ask for more. However, no one knew what happened to the sad lonely wolf. 

   

 

    

   

   

  

 

 

  

       A knock went thundering down Wu Yifan's door. The man ruffled his hair trying to make it look nice. It wasn't every day that he got visitors. He sighed and went to the door. 

  

 

        When he opened it, his heart froze in time. “D-Do Kyungsoo, what are you doing here?” he stuttered. His angel was standing right in front of him. He was still as beautiful as ever. His angel took a gulp before answering, “I wanted to visit you once more. I can see that you are still as handsome as ever,” he timidly said as he shuffled his feet on the porch.

  

 

        Yifan let his angel into his home once more. “Come inside. I'll make you some tea,” he quickly whispered as he ran for his kitchen. His heart cried in pain as he went to his stove to boil some water. 

  

 

       “God or whoever is up there, just cut me some slack will you?” he whimpered softly to himself, “Just let me brew some tea for my angel once more before he takes off.” Tears rolled down his cheeks. 

  

 

    “Please.”