On A Tight Leash

On A Tight Leash

How did this even happened?

 

A heavily breathing and equally sweating young man ran past the streets of down town Seoul. Out of all the days there were in a year, why the hell did his body chose this specific day to indulge himself in more sleep, despite the presence of his blaring alarm clock?

 

Seunghyun had gotten a call a few days ago while he was washing the long forgotten dishes on the sink, a trusting insurance company near his apartment finally accepted his offer on working under their name. After weeks of looking desperately for a job, the man jumped in excitement accidentally hitting the kitchen cabinet above. And he had a scar to prove it. But despite the searing pain, Seunghyun was able to report back on the person on the phone that he would immediately start work regardless on the date. “Monday next week”, the person said. “Just introduce yourself at the reception area upon entering the building and they’ll direct you to our floor.” 

 

And yes, as you might have guessed, today was that date.

 

Surprisingly enough Seunghyun had managed to haul himself out of bed and jumped immediately into the showers. With no time to even warm the water (and no time to even think), icy cold water met his skin causing the 25 year old man to let out an unmanly shriek. Good thing though, he had the whole apartment to himself.

 

So at the moment, Seunghyun had been dodging on coming citizens and sometimes even cars towards the insurance company building. He didn’t even bother to think it through what he was going to wear and just quickly took whatever it was hanging at the ‘clothes for work’ pile in his closet.

 

“.” Seunghyun muttered as he nearly trampled over the vegetable stand of an old lady who was now screaming curse words at him despite the early hours.

 

God, the woman can scream. Seunghyun randomly thought because even from three streets away he could still hear those curse words clearly.

 

Nevertheless, Seunghyun sighed in relief as he saw the approaching building. Finally, he exaggerated in his head. The last time he had ran like this was when he and his long time friends got drunk at the bar and only God knows what happened but all he remembered was being chased out by the club’s bouncer shouting at him in rage. He had probably done something and he couldn’t even remember. What’s the point of bragging about running away from the club when he didn’t even know the story?

 

So anyway, Seunghyun’s legs were obviously giving out on him, with every step a new kind of pain radiated from his muscles. And it he didn’t feel good about it, yet he had to get to work on time. Finally, when the white little handle of the door was within reach, he immediately opened the door without even looking at his surroundings and barged in only looking at his watch that said that he was already 15 minutes late.

 

“Good morning, I’m Choi Seunghyun, I was told to..“

 

A surprised ooff was what came out after as he was met with a wriggling white ball of fur.

 

Making matters worse, he legs gave out underneath him and he was thrown lying on the floor catching what seemed to be a little white Pomeranian in his arms who was by the way, wriggling its way to his face.

 

“Jessie!” A man screamed somewhere in the room and the white ball of fur quickly disappeared from his hands.

 

“Oh my God. I am so sorry. Jessie’s not well trained yet and she’s young and she loves jumping on everything. Actually I was just cleaning the mess she made with one of our lamp shades and…. Are you okay? Sir?” 

 

Seunghyun wanted to blame the damn dog for crashing his windpipe but he knew it wasn’t nearly as good as the real reason that was standing right in front of him.

 

A man, not that much younger than Seunghyun stood in front of him as he stayed rooted on the floor. In front was a man with short light blonde hair sticking up in all directions yet still fitting that small face perfectly. He had small ears sticking out of that mess of a hair, neatly trimmed eyebrows above those coffee brown eyes, long black eye lashes resting on those cheek bones, a small little nose at the center of that gorgeous face and with thin pouty pink lips to go with it. And in his arms was the little fluffy white dog that attacked him.

 

What else could Seunghyun do but to stare right back?

 

Few more seconds passed by but for Seunghyun it felt like minutes or hours judging from the way time stood still. He didn’t know why just yet, and he kept blaming that freakin’ dog for everything but he just can’t stop looking back at those deep brown orbs starring back at him. He was getting lost in the moment and before he knew it the man in front of him talked again.

 

“Are you hurt? Oh God, you look like a lawyer please don’t sue us. She didn’t mean it.” The young man panickly said, quickly shuffling his way through what looked like a café setting towards the other end of the room where a kid’s play fence was set up and immediately set down the seemingly innocent white puppy.

 

With the young blonde finally out of his sight, Seunghyun took this time to stand up from his embarrassing form on the floor and check out his surroundings. Obviously, he wasn’t in the right building.

 

The set up of the place looked like a cozy café, with a long counter on the right side displaying mouth watering cakes and pastries, a couple of fluffy chairs accompanied with tables where settled next to the walls but what Seunghyun was intrigued was the sight of where the young man had walked away to.

 

On the other side from the door, taking up almost half of the entire room separated by metal play pens settled on the floor, was a huge space filled with random dogs.

 

Dogs, in all shapes and sizes.

 

“This isn’t the insurance place is it?”

 

“Ah!” The young blonde suddenly came out of nowhere, causing Seunghyun to back up a little. The blonde only chuckled as he busied himself with the dogs, who seemingly follow him everywhere. Once he was out of the dog play pen, he walked back towards Seunghyun, wiping his hands on his pink apron.

 

“You must be in the wrong place. The insurance company is on the other building beside us.” The blonde happily said, stopping just in front of Seunghyun wearing a big smile on his face. “Don’t worry, I could call them up saying you got lost, most of them have their break here so I know some of those who work there.” He offered, already retrieving his phone from his pants.

 

Seunghyun couldn’t even say no because the man already had someone on the other line.

 

“Dara noona..” The man smiled. “No, noona nothing’s wrong. It’s just that a man came into the café and though it as the insurance company.” Giggled the younger man. Seunghyun stood awkwardly, shifting his weight to one leg to the other, wondering just what the hell he got himself into.

 

After a few more giggles and exchanged words, the man finally hanged up the phone.

 

“They already know that you’re coming.” Smile the bubbly young man that Seunghyun stammered to give a response.

 

“T-thank you.”

 

“Now go, my friend could only cover up for you for a few minutes.” The young man suddenly skipped passed him and kindly opened the door for him. It took a second for Seunghyun to even move his sorry out of the doorway and into the street.

 

He, of course, wanted to thank this mysterious bubbly man again so he turned around, not surprised this time to see the man smiling back at him.

 

“Uhm, thank you again…” Seunghyun stammered as he didn’t even know this beautiful man’s name.

 

“Jiyong.” He kindly offered. “And you are most certainly welcome, Sir…” Jiyong looked at him waiting or a reply.

 

“S-Seunghyun. Choi Seunghyun.”

 

“Well Seunghyun, you can drop by here anytime of the day. Plus, I have to make up to you for what Jessie did.”

 

“Oh no, it’s okay. You don’t have to.” Seunghyun immediately said, this man didn’t owe him anything.

 

For the first time a flash of disappointment presented itself on the blondes face just for a second.

 

“Oh.. okay then. But you will drop by right? I mean, if you don’t mind having dogs around. Plus, the desserts here are to die for at least that’s what my regulars say.” Jiyong looked up at him expectedly, like a little kid asking for his favorite box of cereal.

 

And of course, Seunghyun was the mother who just couldn’t say no.

 

“O-Of course.”

 

“Yey, I’ll be expecting that. Now go. Shoo..” The young man Jiyong playfully pushed Seunghyun towards the direction of the correct building and waved goodbye at him.

 

A second later, Seunghyun stood in awe in the middle of the sidewalk staring back at the now closed door of the little café. And only the ring of his phone took him out of his hypnotic state and put him back on track.

 

So he ran towards the insurance company with his task in mind, however a certain little bubbly blonde man kept popping inside his head and for the first time in month, he didn’t mind that little distraction.

 

~~~

 

Seunghyun hadn’t made it back to the café. And it’s bothering him to the extent of sheer disappointment and annoyance.

 

It’s been a few days already ever since that little incident and Seunghyun’s already missing the young blonde. Not only was it bothering to think about the man in the most awkward places like during meetings and client sessions but he just can’t help it. Even though it was just a brief little interaction, that face, that voice, even the way the younger one smiled, Seunghyun can’t stop thinking about it.

 

It’s not that he didn’t have time to come down to the café, in fact he had lots of time since he’s not that busy with work and it still trying to keep up. It’s just that, he’s scared. He’s scared of the fact that what if Jiyong’s disappointed in him that he hasn’t shown up at the café like he said so? Which was probably a ridiculous reason.

 

But him sulking in his little office desk wasn’t doing any good for that fact.

 

Seunghyun was already out of things to do, being new in the office made him very agile and quick as to not show that he’s incompetent of anything. So as of four in the afternoon he already ran out of things to do and there’s still two hours left in the clock before work was over.

 

So right about now, all he’s doing was trying to see if he could bend the wire of the paperclip that had sacrificed its life for his enjoyment straight again.

 

“Seunghyun!” A woman’s voice called on his from the back, with it being so sudden Seunghyun stood up and turned around only to fide his blonde dyed head co-worker eagerly making her way to him.

 

“You’re not doing anything right?” She asked as he rounded a few desk office to reach him.

 

“No, noona. I already finished everything.” He managed to say.

 

“Good, come on! Let’s have dessert down at the dog café. Bom and the others are already there.” She insisted, already pulling Seunghyun by the sleeves of his work sweater.

 

“D-dog café?” Seunghyun realized as he was dragged by a coworker less half his size towards the elevator.

 

“Yup, we were already there a few minutes ago but Jiyong won’t shut up about you not visiting so I just had to drag you in there.” The blonde co-worker named Dara, he remembered, said as the doors to the elevator closed behind them, trapping Seunghyun for escape.

 

“J-Jiyong talks about me?” He stammered, making Dara laugh at his silliness.

 

“Y-yes he d-does.” She mocked back, teasing him. “And he won’t shut up! So we figured, that we should bring you down there so he could stop shoving his thoughts about you down our throats.” Dara laughed. “And besides, he really misses you.”

 

A blush made itself known on Seunghyun’s face and good thing that the elevator doors opened at that time and Dara walked out first, or else she would have yet again.

 

So Jiyong was thinking about him too? All this time? And he misses him as well? So he’s not disappointed at all, he’s actually waiting for him?

 

All these thoughts ran through his head and before he knew it he was already standing in front of the familiar café that he’d been eyeing for the past days now. To the point that he actually had the exterior outline of the café memorized to the bone and he had often smacked his head for mistaking it for his work place. As if pink and green colored walls would indicate a busy office behind it. He’s so stupid sometimes.

 

By this time, Dara had already entered the café and from the outside he could see the others at a little table hanging out with desserts and drinks, he could  even see a mop of red hair which would probably be Bom, playing with the dogs.

 

But then, where’s Jiyong?

 

As if by instinct, his heart automatically skipped a beat and more. What would he say to Jiyong? Should he say sorry for not coming by too soon? Or would that indicate that he purposely did not show up? What if Jiyong would think that? Oh no, anything but that please, he pleaded with himself.

 

There’s no use turning back now, not when he can see the others waving for him to come and join them as well.

 

So with a shaky breath and a few self encouragement, Seunghyun opened the door and walked in with a slightly determined heart.

 

But that didn’t last long though, because again a familiar white ball of fur came flying at him in top speed.

 

Ooof, was all he could say as he slumped down once again on the floor, with a wriggling little canine in his arms who’s apparently trying to his face.

 

“Ah… a little help?” Seunghyun huffed as he tried to gently wrestle the little mut.      

 

“Oh you don’t deserve to be helped. Go Jessie, keep attacking him.” A whiney angelic voice came from the side and without a doubt Seunghyun knew who it was.

 

It was from the person he can’t keep his mind off too. But instead of the fantasy of Jiyong coming over him all happy and relieved that he stopped by what he saw was a pouty angry Jiyong, with his hands crossed on his chest.

 

“Ah, Jiyong.. I..” Seunghyun struggled to say but the more he gave less attention to the white puppy on his chest the more agitate it get to have his attention back. “W-wait I.. get off..” Seunghyun finally took hold of the puppy in his hands more securely. But by this time, Jiyong had already turned his back and was walking away.

 

“Wait! Jiyong!” Seunghyun called back, scooping himself up from the floor, still with the wriggling Pomeranian in his arms.

 

An annoyed scoff was heard from the younger blonde as he rounded the counter and positioned himself behind it, mindlessly picking up a few utensils and drying them off with a clean towel as if nothing happened. But judging by look of Jiyong’s face, Seunghyun knew he was pissed off. And he knew he’s the reason why.

 

Seunghyun stood on his spot yet again, not knowing what to do or what to say. Jiyong’s actions were reasonable and understandable, Seunghyun acknowledged that. But he has to do something to make it up to the younger one, even though they don’t know each other yet, Seunghyun felt guilty for causing this to the other.

 

“Here, let me have her.” Seunghyun turned to the side to see Bom holding up her hands to take to white puff of destruction from him and he was thankful for that. “Now go and talk to him, Jiyong’s just acting up like that because he misses you.” She said as he took the puppy from him.

 

“I know, Noona.”Seunghyun smiled back in assurance that he would fix this.

 

“Good, now go and make him happy so that he’d give us free drinks again.” She joked then walked back to their table.

 

Seunghyun inhaled hesitantly as he looked back towards the counter, he caught the younger one staring at him and immediately went back to cleaning, with a tiny hint of a blush on his cheeks. And this time Seunghyun knew that he was such a foolish man, how could he even make a guy like Jiyong to wait for him?

 

So stupid.

 

With a little chuckle to himself, Seunghyun moved and walked up towards the young blonde who’s still painfully obvious trying to ignore him.

 

“Jiyong..” Seunghyun started to say but Jiyong continued to dry the already dried plates on the counter between them. “Jiyong, I…”

 

Jiyong continued to ignore him, and Seunghyun couldn’t take it anymore. He reached out and took the plate from Jiyong’s hand causing the younger to look up in protest.

 

“What do you think—“

 

“Sorry, I just wanted to get your attention.” Seunghyun placed the plate down on the counter and looked up expectedly at the younger man. However Jiyong wasn’t backing down.

 

“Do you need anything?”  Jiyong said, his voice monotone and sounded uninterested.

 

“Come on, Jiyong don’t be like that.” Seunghyun pleaded this time, he really needed to see that smile on this man’s face again, he didn’t know why yet but he never want to see this man unhappy, ever.

 

“Be like what?” Jiyong replied back, picking up another clean plate to wipe dry.

 

“You know what. Come on, Jiyong. I’m sorry.” Seunghyun honestly said, putting both of his hands inside his pocket, trying to hide how sweaty they were now from the nervousness.

 

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.” Jiyong muttered under his breath, hands finding other utensils to clean but fortunately not moving from his spot.

 

“Please, Jiyong. I.. I was just wasn’t sure that you’d want me around. So I—”

 

“Not want you around? What made you think of that?” Jiyong curiously asked and Seunghyun was thankful that he wasn’t ignoring him anymore and was at least responding to him.

 

“I don’t know. I just… maybe I was just a little…” Seunghyun struggled painfully for the right words to say, not getting the fact that his coworkers who wear eagerly listening and watching at their interaction were trying there hardest not to laugh out loud. Or the fact, Jiyong was breaking down as well, lips forming into an uncontrollable smile.

 

“I just.. I was a little.. I don’t know.. I guess maybe..” This time Seunghyun looked up and saw Jiyong’s face.

 

“Why are you smiling like that?”

 

At that, his coworkers just couldn’t take it anymore and burst out laughing. Bom and Dara were the loudest that some the dogs scurried away in fright. Seunghyun looked at them in confusion then, he was about to asked what’s wrong but then a beautiful sound graced his ears.

 

It was laughter, coming from the person in front of him. Seunghyun turned his head back and caught sight of one of the more amazing thing he had ever seen. And he figured that also, he would always want to see Jiyong laughing.

 

The young man in front of him, was laughing so hard that Seunghyun could he the pink gums on the guys mouth and from the looks of it the younger one knew of this so he tried to hide it with the back of his hand.

 

“Omo, Seunghyun..” Jiyong said in between his angelic laughing. And Seunghyun couldn’t help but laugh back.

 

And that’s when he realized that they were playing at him.

 

“Ahh! You guys tricked me!” Seunghyun yelled out causing another wave of laughter to erupt inside the café.

 

“I’m sorry, Seunghyun!” Jiyong immediately run around the counter and ran towards Seunghyun. “They made me do it.” Jiyong innocently said, eyes still a little teary from laugher and mouth still releasing a giggle.

 

“And here I am thinking that you missed me.” Seunghyun pouted, looking at Jiyong for at least as explanation.

 

“But I did miss you! I’ve been waiting for you to come by.” This time Jiyong genuinely smiled at him, Seunghyun knew that he was telling the truth, that Jiyong missed him just as much.

 

“I-I miss you too.” He whispered back.

 

This made the scene behind them erupt in another screaming filled noise but Seunghyun didn’t mind. He’s brain’s still busy processing that Jiyong missed him too.

 

“And besides, I said I was going to make it up to you for what happened last time. Now go sit with your friends and I’ll serve you a slice of cake, on the house.” Jiyong smiled, biting side of his lower lip making Seunghyun heart skip another beat. If this keeps up, he’ll need a doctor’s appointment really soon, because he’s heart might just not make it anymore.

 

“Thank you.” He said once again.

 

The whole afternoon, Seunghyun granted was one of the most memorable times he have had. He had gotten to spent time with his coworkers, gaining a permanent spot in their friendship and whatnots. At least now, he wouldn’t be that new comer who knows no one anymore, he gained trustworthy friends. Well, maybe except his new friend Seungri, who’s a little more on the jokester type instead of trustworthy. Then he met Daesung too who apparently have been around the office for a while now and was willing to help him to get more acquainted in the office. And of course, Bom and Dara, the infamous Park sisters, causing mayhem with grace wherever they go.

 

But other than that, Seunghyun loved this day because he got to know more about Jiyong, he got to see him work around the café attending to customers and the dogs as well. Even though Jiyong would only drop by their table whenever there weren’t any customers to attend too, Seunghyun was grateful to see that he’s the first one Jiyong talks to whenever he gets the chance.

 

And plus, Seunghyun’s starting to get along with Jessie as well, who apparently thought of Seunghyun as her personal bed.

 

But alas, after two hours, it came a time to say goodbye for the night. After what practically a whole cake, the ladies finally surrendered and started packing up their things to leave, Bom had to go back to the dogs again to say goodbye to them one by one. Seunghyun had to shake his head at how childish his coworkers were despite their age and profession.

 

“Aww, you guys are leaving already?” A pouty Jiyong appeared from the side holding up a mop in one hand.

 

“Yes, Jiyong. We still have work tomorrow too.” Dara yawned as she slung her bag on her shoulder. “And thank you for the free drinks.”

 

Seunghyun stood up as well, when everybody else was already making their way out the door. He was reluctant at first, he wanted to spend just a little more time with the owner, even for just a little bit.

 

“Uhm, Jiyong, do you need help with stuff?” Seunghyun asked the busy owner who’s now mopping a mess the kids (dogs) had made. Seunghyun waited expectedly for the reply that the others already bid him goodbye and left.

 

There were still a couple of customers left and most of Jiyong’s staff were highschool students so he allowed them to go home early leaving only him to close up.

 

“No, it’s okay Seunghyun. I wouldn’t want to keep you, you should go home and rest.” Despite busy working, Jiyong didn’t gave a second thought to flash Seunghyun that gummy smile of his.

 

“O-okay, I guess I’ll just leave now.” Seunghyun shuffled his feet awkwardly, still expecting Jiyong to call him and ask him to stay. But when he saw that Jiyong was too busy to do so, he gave out a heavy breath and turned to leave.

 

But still he was hoping, even when he opened the door and stepped outside into the cold streets of Seoul, he was still hoping.

 

And when he had finally convinced himself that Jiyong wasn’t going after him, right on time, a hand took hold of his, pulling him back.

 

“Seunghyun..” Jiyong breathe out, chest heaving from the sprint he just made.

 

“Y-yes?” Seunghyun stuttered as usual.

 

“I… Will you.. Uhm..” Jiyong looked sideways, trying his very best to think of the right words to say, and granted Seunghyun was surprised to see this side of the younger man. Normally, he would be the one lost for words.

 

“I just…” Jiyong stammered a few more until he closed his eyes and took a deep calming breath. And when he opened his eyes, he looked directly as Seunghyun.

 

“Will you come back again tomorrow?” Jiyong asked so sincerely, that beautiful blush forming themselves on those cheeks yet again.

 

“Sure..” Seunghyun reassured back and Jiyong huffed out a breath he was holding.

 

“Good,” He smiled that smile again, biting the side of his lower lips. “Because I really did miss you.” He added.

 

The sight itself was too much for Seunghyun that his head instinctively looked at their feet, blood rushing up towards his own cheeks as well. All he could do was nod.

 

“Well, I guess I’ll see you tomorrow.” Jiyong chuckled and again, Seunghyun nodded towards the floor.

 

“Oh and Seunghyun?” Jiyong asked unexpected that Seunghyun had to lift his head up to see what it was but what came was something he’d never expected.

 

Jiyong leaned up and place a sweet little kiss on his cheek.

 

“Stay safe for me, okay?”

 

With that Jiyong ran back inside the café and closed the door behind him leaving a very shocked and stunned Seunghyun in the middle of the sidewalk.

 

Did that really happened? Did Jiyong just, did he just, oh my God.

 

Seunghyun’s heart was trying to beat its way out of his chest. It took him more than a few seconds to even move any part of his body from the initial shock. He raised his hand and patted his cheek, right at the place where Jiyong surprisingly kissed him.

 

And he silently laughed to himself, a smile permanently drawn on his face. Damn it, he thought. He knew Jiyong wasn’t ever going to get out of his head this time, what with that stunt he just pulled on him. And like the last time, he didn’t mind, he didn’t mind at all. And if given the chance, he would much rather just spend the entire day thinking about the blonde than anything else.

 

But this was just the beginning, the beginning of what he hopes to be something worthwhile. He knew this was a crush, a crush on a guy he just met at least two times now. But he’s determined to multiply that two into thousands more. From what he had seen, Jiyong was this bubbly little ball of personality, always so energetic and free yet sensitive and shy as well.

 

“Like a little puppy.”

 

He shook his head as he scratched the back of his head with his hand. As silly as it may, Seunghyun might be right. But it seems that who’s on the other end of the leash was in question because Seunghyun could swear that Jiyong had gotten him all tied up and ready to go.

 

He guessed that a few more days with each other would determine that.

 

So even without Jiyong telling him, he would definite come back tomorrow, and the day after that and the day after that. With no questions asked.