Jongdae

My childhood friend

"YAH KIM JONGDAE!!!!!!" you screamed your lungs out as your best friend ran out of the classroom and to the end of the corridor. He turned around and waited for your exit.

You walked out of the class and slowly turned your head to his direction. Then, you turned your whole body to him. You gave him a deathly glare.

But this only made him even more delighted. 

"PUHAHAHAHAHAHA LOOK AT YOUR FACE!" He hollered and started rolling on the floor, tears evident as he roared in laughter.

Your face had turned into a drawing book. A mustache was drawn with curled ends. Your eyebrows were shaped like bridges. And spirals on both cheeks. All with a marker.

You looked away in embarrassment. "Aishhh... Shouldn't have slept," you muttered. 

Your classmates started exiting the classroom. The teacher had long left the class. 

You glared at him again, as he began to settle down. You started running towards him. His expression changed to a shocked one. He scrambled to his feet as you came closer and closer. 

"Oh crap," Jongdae cursed before he pushed off. He knew what would happen when he got caught. And he doesn't like it although he's been through it a million times. 

Jongdae was only a few inches in front you but he continued laughing as he ran. 

You decided to jump onto Jongdae's back. As expected, he lost his balance and both of you fell sideways with a loud thud. 

The both of you let out a groan. 

"Ahhh, that hurts, Hana," Jongdae complained.

"I'm hurting too."

The both of you held your waists and rubbed your shoulders. One or two students in the hallway glanced at the both of you but mostly ignored your presence.

Jongdae looked at you and wanted to help you up but you stood up before he could. You two started bickering on the way to the sink outside the toilets.

Once you were there, Jongdae the tap and started washing off the marks. You scrunched your face as he roughly rubbed your face. After he was done, you stayed there with your scrunched face for a few seconds. Then, you started wiping your wet face with your sleeves. 

"Aishh, use my handkerchief," Jongdae looked at you with a teasingly disgusted face. He took out his handkerchief from his pocket and wiped your face. "Must I do everything for you, baby?" 

You shuddered at that comment. Not that you were disgusted by it but you thought that the word 'baby' was too cheesy to be used between companions. Plus, it was weird to be called that by your long-time crush. "Ew, gross," you said it anyway.

Jongdae let out a small laugh. You don't know how much I want to call you that. 

You and Jongdae walked back to class to get your things. Jongdae headed to the canteen instead to get ice for your bruises.

You sat on your chair and used your phone's camera to look at yourself again. By now, your class was empty. You scoffed. Now that you think of it, it was rather amusing. Attacking Jongdae was amusing too. 

You started packing your bag and helped with Jongdae's too. You picked up his bag and let go as you winced from the pain on your waist.

Jongdae entered and quickly assisted you. 

"Who asked you to attack me?" He teasingly scolded you. "Here, ice yourself." He handed you the packet of ice.

Knowing your ticklish spot, you carefully place it on your waist. You giggled as you felt the coldness. After awhile, you gave up and stopped icing yourself. 

"I can't do this. It's too ticklish."

"I'm gonna do it for you if you don't."

"Do it if you dare," you challenged him. Both of you knew that you would retaliate, of course.

Jongdae grinned and started pushing the ice packet at you. You held his wrist.

"Hajima," you said in a warning tone.

Your strength can't be compared to his and he put the ice on your waist with ease. 

You laughed and whimpered at the same time. You lost your balance and fell off the edge of your chair. Instinctively, Jongdae tried catching you but ended up falling too.

Your positions were awkward. He was on top of you. His left arm around your waist and the other was propped against the floor to prevent himself from crushing you. The packet of ice in his left palm.

Jongdae swallowed his saliva. The both of you stared at each other in shock. The awkward atmosphere tensed. Jongdae's heart thumped against his chest violently and so did yours. Your heartbeats practically could be heard.

Jongdae's gaze shifted to your lips. He blinked and hesitantly moved closer. You felt your stomach flip. Your eyes fluttered close. You prepared for the feeling you've been waiting for all these years. 

But it didn't come.

You opened your eyes and found Jongdae sitting in front of you. Snickering at you. 

Your face warmed up. Pink flushed upon your cheeks. You shifted yourself a little further away from him.

"What?" You taunted him in an attempt to hide your embarrassment. 

"Nothing." He continued chuckling.

You grew frustrated. You grabbed your bag and headed for the door. Jongdae was startled and quickly grabbed your wrist. 

"Where are you going?" He asked.

"Home." You coldly replied due to the utter embarrassment you felt.

"Why all of a sudden? We always walk home together," he continued teasing you.

"I feel like going alone today." You forced his grip off and continued for the door.

"I like you."

You stopped in your tracks. 

"I've liked you ever since middle school."

"Stop teasing me."

"I'm not."

"Then what was that?" You were referring to the almost kiss. You blushed although he couldn't see your face.

What was that? Fear? Scared? What was I thinking when I pulled back? "I don't know." 

"I've known you since we were like what? 6? I know what's going on in your head, Jongdae." You paused for awhile and continued, "You've been teasing me ever since."

No, you don't know all of it. He sighed. "Why won't you believe me?" He stood up and neared you. 

"Because you're the troll I've always known-"

He turned your body by the shoulders so you'd face him. You winced at the pain on your shoulder from earlier on. 

"Shoot, sorry." He apologized quickly. You kept silent.

Without warning, he pecked your lips. Your eyes widened. You blushed again. He chuckled at your reaction. 

He gathered up his courage but a little more confident now. "I've been wanting to say this." He hesitated for awhile. "Will you be my girlfriend?" 

You took awhile to register his words in your head. "Yes," you answered in a whisper.

"What? I can't hear you."

You sighed. You answered a little louder this time. "Yes."

"What was that?" He teased.

"I said I'll think about it!" You raised your voice.

"Eyyy, I thought I heard a 'yes'."

"If your heard it then why do you keep asking?" You muttered under your breath.

He laughed at you and also in relief. He intertwined his fingers with yours and picked up his bag.

"I guess you're my girlfriend now then." 

"Mm."

He smiled contently and gave you another kiss just a little longer and more tenderly. You responded and kissed back. The feeling of his soft lips against yours was memorable.

Finally, the kiss was broken as a classmate of yours walked in to get something he forgot. You and Jongdae took a step away from each other. Your cheeks flushed a darker shade of pink as your intimate skinship was witnessed by someone else. 

"Oh. Oh, sorry for interrupting. I forgot my chemistry textbook," said Lay. He quickly took out the book from under his table and headed for the exit.

"Please continue what you were do-"

"Just go, Lay," Chen interrupted. He nodded his head and left the room.

You and Jongdae exchanged glances and laughed. 

"Let's go home," you said.

"I'll walk you home," Jongdae smiled.

"Like always." You grinned at him. 

Jongdae held your hand again, intertwining his fingers with yours. 

And the two of you left the classroom.

 

--------------------------------------