One

When You Smile

→ H I M

Stay calm Sehun, stop worrying.

Worrying is the reason I’m here 40 minutes early, waiting outside of the subway station that we promised to meet at. The nerves are making my stomach clench until I don’t know if I want to vomit or drop dead. I keep checking my watch, even though I know it’s way too early for her to be here yet.

Way to go. Now you’re just going to be sat here waiting for her, nervous as hell.

Sighing, I cross the street and enter a little roadside park. Puffing my cheeks out, I sit down on a bench and check I can still see when she arrives. I tap my feet  and my fingers drum a beat on my knees. I am a literal bundle of nerves and no matter how hard I try, I just can’t lighten up. The thought that I may act like this when she’s actually here makes me even more worried.

To make matters worse, when I’m tense, I find it hard to get the words out of my mouth. This results in stumbling and stammering and my cheeks in flames of embarrassment. I smile softly.  Not that I’m worried she wouldn’t understand; she seems like the type to understand everything with compassion. Maybe she’d even find it cute.

I really did pick the perfect girl for me.

That’s why I can’t mess this up.

I take out my headphones, untangle the wire and plug the ear buds into my ears. I switch it to my favourite track and automatically I feel the music soothing my agitated state. I lean back and close my eyes. Even when I close my eyes, all I can see is her.

“Yah, you’re even in my thoughts,” I laugh softly to myself.

I open my eyes.

She really is there.

Across the street, dithering in the subway entrance while she peers from left to right and checks her phone. My face naturally breaks out into a smile and I leap to my feet.

Sujin. Han Sujin.

“Sujin!” I call, waving my hand but she doesn’t hear me. I leave the park and jog across the street. Her face brightens when she catches sight of me.

“Oh you were coming from that way, I thought you’d be using this subway,” She smiles.

“I-I did but I came here early,” I say, rubbing the back of my neck in embarrassment. She probably thinks I’m too eager now.

“Oh really? Am I late?” She worriedly checks the time, “I hope you haven’t been waiting too long for me,”

“Don’t worry,” I smile, “I’ve only been here for a few minutes,”

“Ahh that’s good then,” She claps her hands, suddenly excited. “So where are we going?”

She looks beautiful, wearing black skinny jeans with a tucked in white blouse. Her eyes are outlined with eyeliner and mascara makes her eyelashes flutter.

“Hey we match Sehun!” She gasps. “We’re both wearing black and white! Great minds think alike right?”

I’m wearing a crisp plain white t-shirt under a black jacket and new black jeans.

“More like you copied me,” I raise an eyebrow.

“Copied you? Pfft this is 100% my style. Come on admit it,” She tweaks my cheek, “Admit that you wanted to match so we could look like a couple.”

“No, n-no no” I hold my hands up, getting flustered; “It’s not like that!”

“It seems your cheeks are telling a different story Sehunnie!” Her eyes scrunch up in delight as she pokes my cheeks, which are no doubt blushing.

“Let’s go eat,” I say, “Maybe if I stuff enough food in your mouth you won’t be able to tease me.”

“Ha, like that’ll happen. I’ll always have time to tease you,” She laughs. Before my courage fails me, I reach down and grab her hand. I’m satisfied to see that her cheeks tinge pink and she ducks her head away to hide her smile.

Huh, now who’s blushing.

I take Sujin to my favourite street corner food stall. It has the best food I’ve ever tasted and I know she’ll enjoy it. But as we stop at the food stall, I suddenly worry that maybe she thinks this is pathetic for a first date.

“T-They do really good food,” I stammer, playing with the sides of my hair. “Like the best I’ve ever tasted in Seoul. It was even in the newspaper.”

“Really?” She throws herself down in an available seat, “Bring it on!”

I laugh and go over to the woman managing the stall to place our order. She promises to bring it over and I pay her the money.

I return to our table and take a seat opposite Sujin. Her eyes are looking at all the sights that surround us; the bright colourful shop signs, the students obviously on their way to Hongdae for a night of fun.

I fix the beanie hat on my head. I really want to reach across and hold her hand again but I’m afraid she’ll think I’m too much.

As if reading my mind, Sujin reaches across and shyly takes my hand.

“I’m really glad you asked me out on a date,” She smiles softly as she links our hands together.

“I’m really glad you accepted.” I reach over and tuck a strand of her hair behind her ear. Screw the goodnight kiss, I want to press our lips together right here and now.

The lady of the stall comes over with a selection of food. Sujin claps her hands together excitedly.

“This is all for us right?” She says. “Like Ara and Kai and Chanyeol aren’t gonna suddenly spring out and start demanding food right?”

“No I’m sure they don’t even know we’re here,” I say. Which is a complete lie; I pestered Kai and Chanyeol for tips and reassurance until both of them stopped answering their phones.

“Yeah I don’t think Ara knows either,” She mumbles, but her cheeks are pink and I can tell she’s lying just as much as I am.

We smile sheepishly at each other.

I can’t believe I’m on a date with her.

Han Sujin.

The most perfect girl for me.

 

→H E R

I can’t believe I’m on a date with him.

Oh Sehun.

The most perfect guy for me.

I have to keep jabbing my arm with a chopstick under the table to check I’m definitely not dreaming. To check that the boy I’m crushing on hard is actually sitting in front of me, laughing at all of my stupid jokes. The whole day before the date I’ve been a bundle of nerves, shaking and worrying all day long. What if he thought I was all shy and awkward? Would he find it cute?

All throughout the dinner we pass jokes back and forth and feed each other off our chop sticks. I can’t get enough of his smile, the way his whole face scrunches up and his eyes turn into black crescents. When he’s eating his face is so serious, concentrating on the food and tasting each mouthful carefully.

“I’m stuffed,” I say, leaning back in my chair and holding my stomach. Then I sit up straight, remembering that I’m on a date and I must behave like a girl and not a slob.

Sehun puffs out his cheeks and wisps of his fringe blow upwards.

“I can’t eat another thing,” He agrees.

“Me either, I feel like I won’t eat again till next chuseok.”

There’s a pause.

We look at each other.

“Time for ice cream right?” He winks.

“Most definitely,” I grin.

He stands up and holds out his hand,

“Princess, your ice cream awaits.”

See how amazing he is?

 

Sehun pulls me into Baskin and Robbins and buys me a triple scoop mint ice cream cone while he gets vanilla, strawberry and blueberry to match his fringe.

Then we walk down the street laughing and flicking ice cream at each other until it occurs to me I have no idea where we’re going.

"So what's our next destination?" I ask as we walk down a deserted side street.

"More food?"

"You'd be happy to eat food all day long wouldn't you?" He rolls his eyes, shaking his head in despair, "You're going to go bankrupt when you're older."

"Yah you make me sound like a pig," I grumble. This ice cream is heavenly.

"You said it not me!" He ducks out of the way as I go to hit him on the head.

"I'm only joking Sujinnie," He laughs, wrapping his arms around me from behind.

"Oh really Sehunnie?" I say in an equally sing-song voice, reaching over and twisting his ear.

"Yah! Yah yah yah yah," He says hastily, trying to twist out of my grip, "Yah that hurts!"

"Heh," I dust my hands off, satisfied, "That will teach you to mess with me!"

"You're evil Sujin," He pouts rubbing his ear. The tip is quite red.

On a rash impulse, I decide to be brave. I reach up and press my lips against the tip of his ear.

"There," I say shakily, "I kissed it better."

Sehun's holding his ear with a stunned expression on his face. I'm aware that my cheeks are probably the colour of his strawberry ice cream at this moment.

"You kissed it? Why?" He asks.

I'm starting to regret my hasty decision. My cheeks are redder than ever.

"It was red, so I er thought that..."I stumble, avoiding his gaze. There’s silence, this is getting more awkward by the minute.

All of a sudden, Sehun bends down and I feel his cool lips graze my cheek. He pulls back slightly and looks at me,

"Your cheeks were red," He whispers, "So I thought that I should fix that."

The look between us pulls on my heart. The feelings I have for him are so strong and they only intensify as I look into his eyes. My head reaches up to touch his creamy white skin. His little pink tongue darts out to moisten his mouth. I automatically bite my lips.

"You know what else is red?" He smiles softly.

"What?" I breathe.

He steps closer and loops his hands around my hips. My arms naturally come to link around his neck.

"These," He says before catching my lips in a kiss.

His lips are so soft and cool from the ice cream. I can still taste a hint of strawberry as his lips repeatedly press little kisses on mine. It's a sweet kiss that has so much meaning. The hesitation, the relief and the care all speak out to me and I know he's trying to portray his feelings across in this kiss. I kiss him back and try and put my feelings across to him.

Finally he draws back and he can't help a small smile from breaking over his features. He rests his forehead against mine and looks at me, his face so close I can see every single eye lash.

"I didn't plan to say this now," He begins in a quiet voice. It shakes slightly so I know he's nervous. "In fact, all throughout the day I've been planning how to say it and what to say. How much should I say? When I should say it? It was driving me crazy." He a finger down my cheek. "But now I know. I've finally found the perfect words." Pressing one more kiss to my lips, a smile breaks out on to his face. The smile I like so much from the boy I like so much. "Sujin," He says, the look in his eyes so sincere, “You are the most beautiful girl I have ever met, both inside and out, and I like you. I like you a lot."

As his words wash over me I pull him into a hug out of genuine happiness. Finally I've heard the words I so wished he would say.

"I like you too Sehun," I say. His arms hold me tight. "I've liked you ever since you let me sit next to you at lunch that time. But now I can see I've made a really good choice. You're so sweet Sehun. When you smile, I feel like the happiest person ever."

Sehun says nothing but I can feel how grateful he is in the way he hugs me. I close my eyes and enjoy the feel of him. I know when I think back to this day, I will remember the taste of strawberry, the colour red and Oh Sehun's smile

 

------------

Hope you guys enjoyed it! Thanks for waiting =^,^=

Byeeee!