Chapter 1 - Zelo - Choi Junhong

S.O.S. Matters of the Heart

~~ZELO~~

 

 

Hiya! The name's Choi Junhong, or what I'm known as during the night, Zelo.

 

 

Within S.O.S., we're forbidden to even whisper about our personal information. That isn't the reason why everything is quiet and serious, though. Fact is, for almost sixteen years, we had no clue who we were, so there was nothing to say.

 

Here in the Secret Organisation of Spies, there are seven of us (me included). We have our own special code names to use, instead of our real names...if you could call it our real names. The bosses here at S.O.S. are the ones that gave us names, so no-one else would know, not even each other. The only person allowed to know, was our guardian. Theo's mine...but that's just his code name. Sorry, I'm not allowed to reveal his actual name, not even to you.

Anyways...the seven of us are:

  • Zelo (me)
  • Krystal
  • Mint
  • Sun
  • Day
  • Eye
  • Sue.

I'm using my code name now, since I'm out on a mission.

 

Krystal, Mint, Sun and I are trailing several people, who Day figured out were enemies sent by the Government.

Krystal and Mint took one side, Sun and I the other.

Simple as. Bye-bye enemies. That's how it's been every night, starting all those fifteen years ago. Of course, when we were still unexperienced and untrained (babies, if you will), we'd go around patrolling with Darers, a group just like S.O.S., under the management of 004, one of The Numbers.

 

During the day, we each keep a normal profile. That is, if you'd call it normal. We have to keep our nightly agent identities a secret, trust no-one, sneak home every day, sneak to HQ afterwards, and sneak back home after a mission or patrol. No biggie, right?

Not so much. I forgot to say, I'm the leader of S.O.S., so doesn't that make up more things to do on my to-do-list?

According to Theo, we seven were chosen because of our skills and the one thing in our lives we were all missing...a family.

When first brought into HQ, fifteen years ago, we were each assigned a guardian that we would live with and treat them like they were our brother or sister. But how were we supposed to do that, if we had no idea what one was?

 

 

~~ Choi Junhong ~~

 

 

I'm back to me. Choi Junhong. No more Zelo until night falls. But...I feel more...me...as Zelo.

 

 

School is pretty normal, except for girls endlessly swarming all over me. I don't understand why, but I don't like it one bit. Fact is...I hate it...no, more like despise it. It's like their watching me, inspecting me, waiting for me to slip up and admit that I'm Zelo.

 

And here they come again. On some sort of sixth-sense that I gained that tells me when a female comes, I instantly bolted for my classroom.

 

***

 

"Hellooooo class!" Miss Kim was hyper...as usual. "Has everyyyoneee brought back their permission slips for camp next weeeeek?" She called in a sing-song voice.

Most nodded their heads but several mumbled excuses as to why they didn't return theirs.

She tutted strangely. "Choi Junhong? Will you finally be able to come?" I was about to protest, but remembered that Theo told me to never attract attention and that I wasn't allowed to go on school trips.

"If you don't you know that I'll have to tell the Government, and they'll have to tell your guardian, don't you?"

That part about the government, shut me right up. I couldn't afford to get a call from the government.  It's not known, except to The Numbers, and maybe some other unknown organisations, but the Government is the enemy. Or rather, working for the enemy, or maybe many enemies.

They could scan my face or something, and figure out that it's identical to Zelo's. They'd figure out I'm an underground agent. Every single one of us were wanted since we 'cause havoc'. Really, it's them, not us that creates havoc. We're fixing it up.

There are a hundred groups in total, that make up The Numbers. 004, is the one located in Seoul...our one. It consists of a bunch of sub-sections. Darers is one. So is S.O.S.

 

Miss Kim was rambling on about how the goernment wouldn't be pleased about me never participating in school activities.

 

***

 

That night, after patrolling was over, I told Theo about what Miss Kim had said.

"How are we gonna get out of this one?" I finished.

Theo said five words. Just five, but they made me feel tingly...suspicion. "I think you should go." That was all.

"What? How come? Haven't you told me that I should never go on school outings? How come now you decide I can go? After all those years of trying to persuade you...only now? When I don't even ask anymore?"

To that, he calmly replied, "I feel that you've matured and are old enough to not carelessly reveal who you are. Give me that note. I'll sign it now. And it's already been paid for in the school fees, right?"

"Yeh, but what about Bosses? What would they say?"

"Don't worry mate. Me and the other Darers have all thought you should go on a break. We even got the bosses' consent, so long as we cover for you."

Wordless, I nodded, my mouth agape.

 

 

And that was that. Choi Junhong, going on his first outing.

Sixteen years old, and never been out on an excursion. Finally, I'd been given permssion.

I guess I should've been happy, but I felt like something was wrong. Like something bad would happen on camp. Maybe it was just nerves at the thought of an excursion, but I felt so sure...