-9-

Why Don't You Trust Me?

Hey guys ^_^ So let's resume where I left off. 

 

 

* * * * *

 

“No, Seungjo, I won’t discuss my marriage.” Yejin picked up a delft-blue watering can and meticulously tended the plants in her office window.  The sun, a product of the sweltering stage lights, poured through the glass.

 

“Yejin, you can’t keep secrets in small towns.  It’s already common knowledge that you and Jinwook aren’t living together any longer.”

 

Beneath the trim, tailored jacket, her shoulders stiffened. “Common knowledge or not, it’s my business.”  Keeping her back to him, she examined a bloom on an African violet.

 

“You’re losing weight.  There are shadows under your eyes. Dammit, Yejin, I can’t stand to see you this way.”

 

She waited a beat, then turned slowly.  “I’m fine. I’m capable of handling what needs to be handled.”

 

Seungjo gave a short laugh.  “Who’d know that better than I do?”

 

Something flared in her eyes, but her voice was cool and final. “I’m busy.”

 

“Let me help you,” he said with sudden, characteristic passion.  “It’s all I’ve ever wanted to do.”

 

“Help?” Her voice chilled as she set down the can.  “I don’t need any help.  Do you think I should confide in you, trust you after what you did to me?” As she tilted her head, the tiny sapphires in her ears glinted.  She shifted on her mark.  “The only difference between you and Jinwook is that I let you tear up my life. I won’t make the same mistake again.”

 

Fury burst from him as he grabbed her arm.  “You never asked me what Soyoung was doing in my room.  Not then, and not in all these months.  You bounced back quick, Yejin, and ended up with another man’s ring on your finger.”

 

“It’s still there,” she said quietly. “So you’d better take your hands off me.”

 

“Do you think that’s going to stop me now that I know you don’t love him?”  Passion, rage, desire – all emanated from his eyes, his voice, his body.  “I can look at you and see it,” he went on before she could deny it.  “I know what’s inside you like no one else does.  So handle it.”  He dragged his hands through her hair and dislodged pins.  The camera dollied closer. “And handle this.”

 

Pulling her against him, Seungjo crushed with his. She nearly tore away. Nearly. For a heartbeat, she was still.  Yejin lifted her hands to his shoulders to push away, but clung instead.  A soft, muffled moan escaped as passion flared.  For a moment, they were locked together as they’d once been.  Then, he dragged her away, keeping his hands tight on her arms.  Desire and anger sparked between them.  His tangible, hers restrained.

 

“You’re not going to back away from me this time,” he told her.  “I’ll wait, but won’t wait long.  You come to me, Yejin,  That’s where you belong.” 

 

Releasing her, Seungjo stormed out of the office.  Yejin lifted an unsteady hand to her lips and stared at the closed door.

 

“Cut.” 

 

Sora marched around the prop wall of her office and approached their director. The furnace of stage lights had already been dimmed.  “Dongwon sajangnim, if that’s it for today, I’ve got an appointment across town.”

 

“Take off.  See you at seven on Monday.”

 

In the dressing room, Sora stripped Yejin’s elegant façade away and replaced it with slim cotton pants and a billowy, tailored man’s shirt.  After slipping on flat shoes she left the studio and went outside. 

 

She hailed a cab.  The minute she gave the address, she slumped back against the seat.

 

She wasn’t sure why she felt so tired.  She supposed it was the prospect of the meeting that made her so bone-weary.  True, she hadn’t been sleeping as well as was her habit, but she’d gone through wakeful phases without any strain.

 

Jungsoo. If Jungsoo were the only thing on her mind, she could have dealt with it well enough. She hoped she would.  But there was Young Jae.

 

The idea of confronting his grandparents didn’t frighten her, but it did weary her.  Sora had spoken with them before.  There was no reason to believe this session would be any different. 

 

She remembered the way Young Jae had beamed and glowed at the amusement park.  Such a simple thing.  Such a vital thing. The way he’d clung to her – it tore at her heart.  If there were just some other way…

 

Closing her eyes, she sighed.  She didn’t believe there would be another way, not even with all her natural optimism.  In the end, they’d come to a complicated, painful custody suit with Young Jae caught in the middle.

 

What was best? What was right?  Sora wanted someone to tell her, to advise and comfort her.  But for the first time in her life she felt it impossible to confide in anyone.  The more private she kept this affair, the less chance there was of Young Jae being hurt by it.  She would just have to follow her instincts, and hope.

 

She walked into the sleek steel building that housed lawyers’ offices.  On the way from the lobby to the sixth floor, she gathered all her confidence together.  This would perhaps the last time she’d have the opportunity to speak with Young Jae’s grandparents on a n informal basis.  She needed to give it her best shot. 

 

She knocked on the door and waited for an answer before entering.

 

“Well, Sora-ya.” The spindly man behind the massive desk rose as she entered.  The room carried a vague scent of peppermint and polish.  “Right on time.”

 

“I never miss a cue.” Sora crossed the plush carpet with both hands extended. “You look good, Siwan.”

 

“I feel good since you talked me into giving up smoking.” He said with a grin. We’ve got about fifteen minutes before the Kims are due. How’re you holding up?”

 

“I’m a wreck, Siwan.”  She stretched out her legs and ordered herself to relax.  First the toes, then the ankles, the all the way up.  “You’re practically the only one I can talk about this.  I’m not used to holding things in.”

 

“If things go well you won’t have to much longer.”

 

She sent him a level look.  “What chance do we have?”

 

“A fair one.”

 

With a small sigh, Sora shook her hed.  “Not good enough.  Siwan, Young Jae needs me.”

 

And you need him, he thought as he watched her. 

 

For  a moment, he sat fondling the gold pen on his desk.  She asked hard questions.  In the law, it wasn’t always synonymous.  “Sora, you know the boy.  At the risk of sounding very unlawyerlike, I say you have to do what your heart tells you.”

 

Smiling, she turned back.  “You say the right things.  That’s all I’ve ever been able to do.” For a moment, she hesitated, then plunged.  Since she was here for advice, she’d go all the way with it.  “Siwan, if I told you I’d fallen in love with a man who thinks relationships are to be avoided at all costs and actresses are the least trustworthy individuals on the planet, what would you say?”

 

“I’d say it was typical of you.  How long do you figure it’ll take you to change his mind?”

 

Laughing, she dragged a hand through her hair.  “Always the right thing,” she said again.

 

“You’re the one who says if something’s meant to happen, it happens.”

 

“When have I ever said anything so trite?” she demanded but did as he said. “All right, Siwan ssi.”  She heaved a long sigh.  “Do you want to give me the lecture on what I should expect and what I shouldn’t say?”

 

“For what good it’ll do.”  He toyed with the edge of Sora’s file. “You’ll meet the Kim’s lawyer,  Yoo Minhyuk.  He’s very painstaking and very conservative.  I’ve dealt with him before.”

 

Then the buzzer sounded on the desk. The secretary informed that the other party arrived and Siwan told her to bring them in. When the door opened, Siwan rose, all joviality.

 

“Minhyuk, good to see you.” He stretched his hand out to meet that of the erect, gray-suited man. “Mr. Kim and Mrs. Kim, please have a seat. Yoo Minhyuk, Kang Sora.”

 

Sora nearly let out a tense giggle at the cocktail introduction.  “Hello, Yoo Minhyuk ssi.” She found his handshake firm and his gaze formidable.

 

“Kang Sora ssi.” He sat smoothly with his briefcase by his side.

 

“Hello, Mr. Kim, Mrs. Kim.”

 

Sora received a nod from the woman and a brief formal handshake from her husband. Together, the Kims sat on a cushy two-seater sofa.

 

She recognized the signal when Siwan sat behind his desk and folded his hands on the surface.

 

“I believe we can all agree that we have one mutual concern,” he began. “Young Jae’s welfare.”

 

“That’s why we’re here,” Yoo Minhyuk said easily.

 

Siwan skimmed his gaze over Minhyuk and concentrated on the Kims.  “Since that’s the case, an informal meeting like this where we can exchange points of view and options should be to everyone’s benefit.”

 

“Naturally, my clients’ main concern is their grandchild’s well-being.”  Yoo spoke.  “Kang Sora ssi’s interest is understood, of course.  As to the matter of custody, there’s no question as to the rights and capability of Mr. and Mrs. Kim.

 

“Nor of Kang Sora ssi,” Siwan put in mildly.  “But it isn’t rights and capabilities we’re discussing today.  It’s the child himself.  I’d like to make it clear that at this point, we’re not questioning your intentions or your ability to raise the child.”  He spoke to the Kims again, skilfully bypassing his colleague.  “The issue is what’s best for Young Jae as an individual.”

 

“My grandson,” The male Kim began in his deep, raspy voice, “belongs where he is.  He’s well-fed, well-dressed and well-disciplined.  His upbringing will have a sense of order. He’ll be sent to the best schools available.”

 

“What about well-loved?” Sora blurted out before she could stop herself.  “What money can’t buy…” Leaning forward she focused her attention on Young Jae’s grandmother.  “Will he be well-loved?”

 

“An abstract question, Kang Sora ssi,” Yoo Minhyuk put in briskly. “If we could – ”

 

“No, it isn’t,” Sora interrupted, sparing him a glance before she turned back to the Kims. “There’s nothing more solid than love.  Nothing more easily given or withheld.  Will you hold him at night if he’s frightened of shadows?  Will you understand how important it is to pretend that he’s protecting you?  Will you always listen when he needs to talk?”

 

“He won’t be coddled if that’s what you mean.” Mr. Kim answered.  “A child’s values are molded early.  These fantasies – that you encourage – aren’t healthy.  I have no intention of allowing my grandson to live in a dreamworld.”

 

“A dreamworld.” Sora stared at him and saw a solid rock wall of resistance. “Kim ssi,  Young Jae has a beautiful imagination.   He’s full of life, and visions.”

 

“Visions.” The grandfather’s lip thinned.  “Visions will do nothing but make him look for what isn’t there, expect what he can’t have.  The boy needs a firm basis in reality.  In what is.  You make your living from pretending, Kang Sora ssi.  My grandson won’t live his life in a storybook.”

 

“There’re twenty-four hours in every day, Mr. Kim.  Isn’t there enough reality in that so we can put a small portion of time aside for wishing?  All children need to believe in wishes, especially Young Jae after so much has been taken away from him.  Please…” Her  gaze shifted to the stiff-backed woman on the sofa.  “You’ve known grief.  Young Jae lost two people in the world who meant love and security and normality.  All of those things have to be given back to him.”

 

“By you?”  The woman Kim sat very still, her eyes remained very level.  In them Sora saw remnants of pain.  “My daughter’s child will be raised by me.”

 

“Kang Sora ssi,” Yoo Minhyuk interrupted smoothly, then crossed his legs.  “To touch on more practical matters, I’m aware that you currently have a key role in a – soap, I believe is the word.  This equals a regular job with a steady income. But to be down-to-earth for a moment, it’s habitual for these things to change.  How would you support a child if your income was interrupted?”

 

“My income won’t be interrupted.” Siwan caught her eye, so with an effort Sora held on to her temper. “I’m under contract.  I’m also signed to do a film with Choi Siwon.”

 

“That’s very impressive,” Yoo Minhyuk told her. “However, I’m sure you’d be the first to admit that your profession is renowned for its ups and downs.”

 

“If we’re talking financial stability, Yoo Minhyuk ssi, I assure you that I’m capable of giving Young Jae all the material requirements necessary.  If my career should take a downswing, I’d simply supplement it. But I can’t believe any of us would put a bank statement first when we’re discussing a child.”   It was said calmly, with only a hint of disdain.

 

“There’s also the matter of marital status.” Yoo Minhyuk a long finger down the side of his nose.  “As a single woman, a single professional woman, Kang Sora ssi, just how much time would you be able to spare for Young Jae?”

 

“Whatever he needs,” Sora said simply.  “I recognize my priorities, Yoo Minhyuk ssi.”

 

“You’re also a young woman, attractive.  I’m sure it’s reasonable to assume that marriage is highly likely at some time in the future.  Have you considered how a potential husband might feel about the responsibility of raising someone else’s child?”

 

“No.”  Her fingers laced together.  “If I loved a man enough to marry him, he’d accept Young Jae as part of me, of my life.  Otherwise, he wouldn’t be the kind of man I’d love.”

 

“If you had to make a choice – ”

 

“Minhyuk.” Siwan held up a hand, and though he smiled, his eyes were hard.  “We shouldn’t get bogged down in this sort of speculation.  No one expects us to solve this custody issue here today.  What we want is to get a clear picture of everyone’s feelings.  What your clients and mine want for Young Jae.”

 

“His well-being,” Mr. Kim said tersely.

 

“His happiness,” Sora murmured.  “I want to believe they’re the same thing.”

 

“You’re no different from your brother.” The male Kim’s voice was sharp and low, like the final snap of a whip.  “Happiness.  He preached happiness at all costs to my daughter until she tossed aside all her responsibilities, her education, her values.  Pregnant at eighteen, married to a penniless student.”

 

Sora’s mouth trembled open as the pain struck.  No, she wouldn’t waste her breath defending her brother. He needed no defense. “They loved each other,” she said instead.

 

“Loved each other.” Color rose in the old man’s cheeks, the first and only sign of emotion Sora had seen from him.  “Can you honestly believe that’s enough?”

 

“Yes.  They were happy together.  They had a beautiful child together.  They had dreams together.” Sora swallowed as the urge to weep pounded at her.  “Some people never have that much.”

 

“Hee Young would still be alive if we’d kept her away from him.”

 

Sora looked over at the older woman and saw more than pain now.  The strong, bony hands shook slightly, the voice broke.  It was a combination of grief and fury which Sora recognized and understood.  “Jae Hwa’s gone too, Mrs. Kim,” she said quietly.  “But Young Jae’s here.”

 

“He killed my daughter.”  The woman’s eyes glowed against a skin gone abruptly pale.

 

“Oh no.” Sora reached out, shocked by the words, drawn by the pain.  “Mrs. Kim, Jae Hwa oppa adored Hee Young eonni.  He’d never have done anything to hurt her.”

 

“He took her up in that plane.  Hee Young had no business being up in one of those small planes.  She wouldn’t have been if he hadn’t taken her.”

 

“Mrs. Kim, I know how you feel – ”

 

She jerked away from Sora’s offer of comfort, her breath suddenly coming fast and shallow.  “Don’t you tell me you know how I feel.  She was my only child.  My only child.”  Rising, she sent Sora an icy stare that shimmered with tears.  “I won’t discuss Hee Young with you, or Hee Young’s son.”  She walked from the office in quick controlled steps that were silent on the carpet.

 

“I won’t have you upsetting my wife.” Mr. Kim stood, erect and unyielding.  “We’ve known nothing but misery since the first time we heard the name Kang.”

 

Though her knees had begun to shake, Sora rose to face him.  “Young Jae’s name is Kang, Mr. Kim.”

 

Without a word, he turned and strode out of the room. 

 

* * * * *

 

So yeah. That was it after months of not updating. I hope I could write more often but I can't force myself if I'm not in the mood. Hoping this chapter gave you something to ponder or what. It's just another part of Sora's life and I have to include it.