One

Confinement Room

The brunet sat beside his large window, staring blankly outside. The rain poured down on his house, painting the windows in streams of clear. He watched each small stream as it made its way down the window and out of sight, then he would look back out and his mind would wander. It's really pouring out there. The brunet would think one moment, watching as the heavy rain soaked every object in its range. The skies dark and gloomy as a storm was brewing; thunder booming throughout the boy's ears, lightning flashing across the sky.

I wonder if he's alright. The boy thought as he looked upon a small duck cowering under a white gazebo in his backyard. He watched the small animal attempt to go out of hiding, only to scurry back under when he wet his feathers. Maybe I should help him? He wondered again, then shook his head as he heard a loud boom that sent shivers throughout his body.

The brunet sighed stared blankly, his mind empty of thoughts. The brunet didn't know what to do anymore, and he couldn't tell if the storm was a sign that he should just stay inside and do nothing for the rest of his life. If it's too bad to go outside today, then what's the point of going outside any other day? He confirmed this to himself and nodded dejectedly to the lonely room.

Why am I here again? He asked himself, eyes drifting across the room. It was a small room, not really a bedroom, but nothing of a living room or a play room; it was simply a small room meant for confining people. There was one large window with a large ledge that you could sit or lay down on. The furniture consisted of a simple white table with two white chairs, a large white bookshelf that was completely filled, a dark and tall wardrobe, a long mirror, and a chest that was locked up without a key to open it.

The brunet liked to call this room the confinement room or a panic room. It was a relaxing place where you could calm yourself down in a frustrating situation by hanging around or reading a book. It was somewhere you could be safe without fear of someone interrupting you. The door was locked from the inside, and only the person within could hold the key. The window was shatter proof, even bullets wouldn't do the trick. There wasn't a way for someone to get in without permission, and knowing that calmed the brunet immensely.

I wonder where everyone is. The brunet thought, loneliness seeping throughout his bones. Although he would often visit his confinement room, staying there for hours on end, the brunet didn't like to be alone. He loathed the simple thought of being by yourself, no one near you. It was an unknown time, where many bad things could happen, it was unpredictable when you were alone. And the boy didn't like the quiet feeling that soaked his entire being every time he was left to himself.

The only reason why his special room was different, was because he felt safe there. He could sit in his own thoughts, relax by himself, and nothing bad would happen to him. No one could get to him, and he was safe even though he was alone. It was almost as if the room itself had become a friend to the brunet, giving him hope that there still were small havens where nothing but a paper cut could hurt you.

It probably isn't going to stop raining. He thought again, watching as the downpour sped up and plummeted to the ground harder than before. I won't be able to go out for a few days...will he be alright? This time, the boy wasn't thinking of the poor duck under the gazebo, this time he was thinking of something much sadder. His head lowered to his lap where he fiddled with a book he had given up on reading. I hope he's doing okay, without... The brunet stopped himself as he saw a tear drip down his face and fall to the yellowed pages of the withered book.

The brunet sighed and sadly looked out the window. He placed a hand on the cool glass and saw his reflection. Soft brown hair, plump lips and cheeks, chocolatey brown eyes on the verge of full blown tears. Do I look ugly to him? The boy couldn't help but to wonder as he eyed his features, thinking deeply. So deeply that his lips formed a soft pout.

Just then, a knock on the door awakened him from his daze. He wiped his tears and got up to open the door. Behind it there was a slightly older boy, although slightly smaller too. The boy's hair was a darker brown, mainly being classified as black, and it was just as soft as the other boy's. He was cute and resembled a small bunny, raging with innocence.

The brunet stood in front of the boy, shifting awkwardly. He wouldn't usually behave this way, but he desperately didn't want the other to know that he had been crying.

“What were you doing?” The smaller asked with a scrutinizing gaze. “You were in there for longer than usual.”

“I-I was just watching t-the r-rain...” He stuttered, his throat hurting as he hadn't spoken for a while.

“That all?” The older boy asked, not believing his friend.

“I w-was reading, t-too.” The brunet added.

“Lee Donghae, you better be telling me the truth right now,” he raised a hand over his head and motioned with it in a menacing manner, “or else I won't hold back.”

“I'm really telling the truth, Sungmin.” The brunet confirmed and walked out of the room, closing the door behind him.

As he passed a small shelf on the wall by the room, he slipped a key into a folder on the shelf and continued on his way. Donghae walked through the large house, the bunny like boy following him closely, keeping an eye on him.

“Do you know what day it is?” Donghae suddenly asked, stopping in his tracks.

“You dumb witted fool, how can you be so spacey to not even know the date?” Sungmin asked, chuckling at his friend's forgetfulness.

“Oh I know what day it is, I'm just making sure that you know.” Donghae quickly replied, trying to save himself even though he knew it would be impossible.

“It's Friday.” Sungmin said, then added when saw the clueless look adorning the brunet's face. “Of August.”

“Oh.” Was the small sound that left his lips as his mouth formed an 'o' shape.

Sungmin stared at the younger for a few seconds. He watched the blank expression and how he looked as though he had too many concerns and thoughts to actually be thinking of them right then. Sungmin looked down at the floor, then back at the other as he opened his mouth to speak.

“Will you be alright?” He asked, concern lacing his voice.

“Alright with what?” Donghae asked, not understanding fully.

“We start school in a month, and you'll have to see-” Sungmin stopped speaking as he saw the sad emotions fly across Donghae's face.

The black haired male suddenly felt guilty that he had brought it up, and he quickly shut his mouth and shot Donghae an apologetic smile.

“I-I think I'll be fine.” Donghae manages to say, smiling back sadly.

“Are you sure? We can always find a way to-”

“There's no other way, Min. I'll just have to get through it as best as I can.” Donghae spoke with a sad assurance, and Sungmin felt he couldn't do anything more to compel the boy.

“You can always hang out with me and my friends if yours are too...” He trailed off at a loss for words, not wanting to upset to boy further.

“That's okay, you don't have to do that. They probably wouldn't like some little kid like me hanging around with them, so I won't burden you guys.” Donghae turned around and kept on his journey around the house.

Sungmin was speechless. He didn't know how he was supposed to answer to that, and although it was undoubtedly wrong, it took the black haired boy a while to process it. As soon as he did, Donghae was out of sight. Sungmin sighed and hung his head in his hands, shaking it slightly at the younger boy.

“You foolish fish.” Sungmin muttered under his breath. “You just don't understand that we all want to help you get over this.”