Chapter Three

Chase the Wolf

Sunggyu glanced up for a brief second before turning his attention back to the manila folder in his hand.

“What do you want, Sungyeol?” He wondered out loud.

Sungyeol jumped from his place behind the door. He coughed, stepping out from his hiding spot with a sheepish smile plastered across his face. Sunggyu scoffed, gesturing for him to come forwards as he placed the folder back on a table beside the hospital bed.

Myungsoo lay unconscious on the bed, different medications pumped into his veins from tubes connected to a variety of machines surrounding him. Sungyeol’s embarrassed expression immediately turned serious as he stood in front of the man.

“How long will it be until he wakes up?”  He asked, turning to Sunggyu.

The other man stood up from his seat, nodding towards it. Sungyeol sat, expecting the worst. But Sunggyu only picked up the folder and walked to the exit. He looked over his shoulder at Sungyeol whose serious face faltered upon realizing he was going to be alone.

“Don’t worry,” Sunggyu replied, trying to sound comforting. “Sungjong cooked up a strong batch of medicine; he’ll be up sooner than later.”

Before Sungyeol could respond, he’d left. It had been strange, seeing Sunggyu talking in a comforting tone, or as comforting as an iceberg could be. Nevertheless, a faint smile lit up on Sungyeol’s face as he returned his gaze onto Myungsoo. He trailed the wound that ran from his hairline down to his temple, it wasn’t dangerous but it would last as a scar.

It didn’t matter though; all that mattered was that Myungsoo had come back alive.

The doors slid together as Sunggyu exited the room, walking in a fast pace to the control room. His boots clicked against the metal floor, the sound resonating in the spacious circle that was their main lobby. Besides him he vaguely picked up the sound of snoring from Dongwoo and Hoya’s shared room, causing him to slowdown his pace. 

He passed Sungjong who was asleep on the plush sofa. In front of him on the coffee table laid his giant computer, still connected to the widescreen television. The electronics’ both had a wide assortment of medical documents as well as information about treatment on their screens. The hurried demand for a speedier recover had caused him to pull an all-nighter trying to get the most effective and quickest medicine for Myungsoo.

Although he was the youngest, he was their most hardworking member, after Sunggyu.

But despite most likely throwing the blanket over him in an uncaring manner, the fabric was neatly tucked around his body.

It made the youngest look like a life-sized corncob.

Sunggyu knew it was Woohyun who’d been running around late at night, making sure everyone was alright and without any injures.

“You need to stop caring so much about all the members,” he pointed out as he entered the control room. “They can take care of themselves, they’re not children.”

“Well I’m sorry if I can’t be as emotionally detached as the master himself,” Woohyun retorted, swiveling around in his chair. “Was that all you came for, to give me a scolding?”

“I wasn’t planning to, but thank you for the reminder. I had forgotten about my daily lifestyle.”

“And I thought for a second that you’d actually begun to care, what a fool I was.”

He placed his hand over his heart, feigning hurt. Sunggyu rolled his eyes, ignoring him and crossing the distance to stand next to the man. Woohyun noticed the folder in his hands, shrugging before holding out his hand.

“I do hope you’ve gotten it down to the smallest detail,” he said while opening the folder. “The closer it is to the actual symbol, the faster we can get a hint on them.”

Sunggyu waited as the man’s eyes immediately flashed blue, pupils scanning the drawn picture of the typhoon symbol, analyzing and matching it with the vast mental database his brain housed. A couple second passed until Woohyun placed the folder on the table sitting in front of him, not caring about the buttons, pens and flashing lamps littering its surface.

“It seems decent enough, I’m glad your artistic sense is far better than Dongwoo’s.”

In front of both their eyes, hundreds of monitors blinked. Each one a live stream of every important location spread out in the country. One screen was black, the tornado that had taken place earlier having wiped out the camera present. Woohyun grabbed the folder, taking the paper with the symbol on and feeding it into the computer. Within seconds, the screens all shut down one after another. Three were left behind, flashing.

“Ah, don’t I love the new kids,” Woohyun sighed in content, stretching. “Always the ones with the most information on them, next time we see that Sehun kid, I’ll give him a hug.”

On the screens that were still lit, a young man was seen on all of them. He was alone, with three people on the next and hugging one of them on the third screen. Woohyun’s technology had once again far surpassed any military devices; his database had been specially programmed to respond after the symbols fed into it.

Sunggyu recognized him immediately, Oh Sehun. It seemed like he had been the only one the government had captured on tape, nevertheless gotten his name written down, even if he didn’t look anything out of the ordinary.

The new kids were truly the best.

“I want all the details on him, right now.” Sunggyu demanded.

Woohyun shrugged, pushing a blue button. A flat panel screen ascended from a horizontal space on the table before his eyes. He opened up a document and his fingers began typing in a rush on a wide keyboard spread out in front of him.

“We both can conclude that he can control wind, the typhoon symbol as well as yours and Myungsoo’s encounter with him proves that. But this also shows us that the rest of the people surrounding him, like the ones on the monitors, have the capability to control supernatural or elemental forces.”

“Do we have another symbol?”

The other man clicked his tongue, opening up another window on the screen. He began a long rant of how the government’s security control, not to mention lack of information, was astounding before finally coming to the point. Apparently a tourist had managed to snap a photo precisely at the arrival of the beasts, unfortunately it was unidentifiable and the government hadn’t bothered looking it through, the same way they’d been about the tourist’s death.

“Not that you’d care about that-“

“You’re right, I don’t care,” Sunggyu interjected, rubbing his forehead. “Just show me the symbol already.”

“You know it’s kind of rude to interrupt someone in their explanation, scratch that, really rude,” Woohyun retorted, swiveling around to face him. “What’s the magic word?”

“If you don’t give me that symbol, I’ll make sure your next paycheck will have the same digits as Dongwoo’s plush animals cost. Now, are we clear?”

Woohyun muttered something about ‘unfair leaders’ under his breath while he swiveled back. Nevertheless, he found the old photo and opened the file. It was blurry, looking as if smoke or fog had covered the lens. The photo had managed to show at least five or four silhouettes, a dull light shone from one of those dark images.

“Zoom in on it.”

“Already one step ahead, oh glorious leader.”

As he finished the sentence, and before Sunggyu could rip his eyes out of his sockets, the zoomed in part was printed out. Woohyun took it, once again beginning to scan the whole image. It took a couple seconds longer than the first one, but he knew what it was.

“It looks to me like a,” he waved a hand in the air as if the answer would materialize itself. “Like an hourglass or something similar to it.”

“That means we’ve got another one down, another one who most likely controls time.” Sunggyu clarified, snatching the photo and putting it into the folder.

Woohyun’s fingers were already typing the information down along with Sehun’s. He glanced over his shoulder, a worried look on his face. Sunggyu arched an eyebrow in question and he coughed.

“Eh, I know you’re Kim Sunggyu,” he started in a cautious tone. “But I don’t think even you can take on a guy who can control time.”

Sunggyu scoffed indignantly. “You underestimate me Woohyun. If he can control time, there must be certain limitations. Don’t worry about me, it’s annoying.”

He was about to snap at the man when Sunggyu gestured to the unfinished document. Scowling, Woohyun returned to his typing. Minutes passed until a freshly written document was being printed out. Sunggyu took it without waiting for a signal, earning him a glare from the man.

His eyes roamed over the paper, taking in each and every word.

The Unknown:

Information:

Arrival – 2 years ago

Danger – Extremely High

Causalities – Approx. 100 million

Other Causalities – Damage to the environment, ceasing of rain, decaying wildlife

Members:

Information:

Numbers – 1 out of

Powers – Transforming into wolves, controlling supernatural or elemental forces

Oh Sehun:

Oh Sehun, young adult, latest (perhaps final?) member/recruit to The Unknown. Has the power to control the wind as shown from a symbol resembling a typhoon on the back of his hand. Has the ability to transform into a wolf. Has a lack of fighting experience.

Danger – High

Unknown Member:

Has the power to control time.

Danger – Supposedly High

“You forgot.” Sunggyu stated.

Woohyun shot up from his seat, eyes wide as he tried to grab the document. He never forgot, forgetting meant mistake and Woohyun did not do mistakes.

“What did I forget?” He inquired, eyes narrowing.

“He has a boyfriend,” he said. “His expression proved it, these monitors proved it. This means, that this boyfriend of his can either use telepathy or something else.”

He pointed to the third screen, the one with him hugging one of the men he’d met. Without waiting for Woohyun’s brain to understand, Sunggyu snagged one of the many pencils scattered over Woohyun’s table. He wrote down the correction, ignoring the other man’s whines before placing the document inside the folder with Sehun’s drawn symbol, tucking the pen behind his ear and heading for the exit.

“I’ll go let the other guys know about this.” He called over his shoulder.

“Wait!”

Sunggyu turned around. Woohyun was inside his personal space, his usual worried expression plastered onto his face. Before he could make a comment, the other man held out a container filled with pills.

“I know you’re our superhuman. I know you don’t need any hospital checkups or health checkups after every battle. But even if you’re this and that, you’re still human Sunggyu. So please, don’t forget that part of yourself, for your and your body’s own sake.”

His eyes flickered to the hand that had been bruised an hour or so ago, now completely healed. It was as if nothing had happened to the limb, but Woohyun knew that being tossed around a car while having to aid an unconscious partner wasn’t the easiest feat in the world.

He waited for the familiar scoff or act of rejection.

What he got instead was a flick on the forehead.

“That’s supposed to come from our walking-talking dictionary,” Sunggyu sighed, taking the bottle of pills. “Sometimes I don’t believe that you’re able to use your brain’s capacity to the fullest, you certainly don’t show it.”

Sunggyu walked out the sliding doors before Woohyun could protest. He knew what would await him if he glanced over his shoulder. He’d see a small smile similar to fondness grace the other’s lips. He didn’t need to see it though, because Sunggyu didn’t need that all too familiar emotion bubbling in his chest.

He wouldn’t, couldn’t get attached to the people surrounding him.