A Day

A Day - Soohyun

Freshly cut grass welcomed you into the warm sun as the small puffs of clouds scattered the sky and created some dynamic, locking your car you walked toward the field with your cleats hanging over your shoulder as your flip flops clopped with every step. You walked up to the small stadium seating on one side and the white nets that wisped in the breeze as you approached. Looking across the green field with the white lines one person in the center of the field caught your eye as you smiled and walked over to the bleachers to change your shoes. You sat on the cool metal bench, you pulled off your flip flops and slipped on your shin guards and pulled your socks up to below your knee you slipped on your cleat and started to pull the other sock up when you felt some tension on your other foot. You peered over to see what it was; he was tying your shoelaces. You finished with your sock and slipped on the other shoe. You reached for your phone in your bag and he was tying the other one, you placed your elbows on your knees and placed your head in your hands, you watched as his fingers moved the shoe lace with such precision.

“Are you ready?” He said as he finished knotting the last shoe lace

“When you are” You said confidently as he looked up and smiled. He stood up from the grass; you put in another bobby pin into your hair before following him out onto the field.

“One on one?” He said as he handed the ball over to you.

“Are we waiting for anyone else?” You said sarcastically as you placed the ball on the green grass below

“Ready, Set, Go!” He said as he kicked the ball right through your legs

“That wasn’t fair Soohyun!” You ran after him with a desire to get back at him, you took your position at the goal and guarded the goal as he took a shot; you dived for the ball, opening your eyes to his surprise as you had the ball in your hands. You got up and passed the soccer ball in between your feet as you headed down the field. You took a shot and he dove, the ball hit the back of the net as he fell to the ground in shock, at what just happened.

“Have you been practicing?” Soohyun said as he peered up at you walking over to him. Your head nodded excitedly as you stepped over him to pick up the ball.

Playing one on one with your best friend was one of your favorite things to do. You would play for hours on end without a break, sometimes you would play with others but you liked playing one on one the best. You goofed around and strayed from the rules from time to time but you had the most fun with him.

You gently fell to the grass in exhaustion as you watched the clouds move across the azure sky. He followed you and laid right beside you, you made little creatures of the existing clouds as your heart rate decreased.

“Ok, I will go easy on you, since you are so tired.” You said as you helped him up from the grass after your break.

“Ok I think I can handle that” Soohyun said as he grabbed the ball and punted it into the center of the field. He let you have the ball first; he stayed on you and guarded you relentlessly. It was fun just playing with him.

He had stolen that ball from you, you ran after him catching your cleat on your calf, you fell to the hard ground with a big thud. He made the goal and looked back to see where you were, he saw you on the ground face down in a ball. Sprinting over to you, you looked up at him and then back at your lower leg.

“__________ are you ok?” Soohyun asked as he rolled you over onto your back

“I think so” You sat up and examined yourself as he examined your face. He helped you to your feet but you couldn’t bear your own weight, you fell back onto the ground.

“We should get you to the doctor” He said as he looked at your ankle.

“No I am fine, really. Could you go get something for me?” He nodded paying close attention to the directions, “So I have some tape in my bag, could you go and grab that please.” He left and ran over to the bag and brought yours and his over. You fumbled around in your bag before finding the tape. He untied your shoe and pulled off your sock and shin guard. You handed the tape over to him he gently set your ankle and wrapped the tape around your injured ankle. You fell back looking to the sky again placing your hands over your face in disappointment.

“Are you sure that you don’t want to go see a doctor?” He asked as he kneeled right next to your head. You nodded your head, he helped you up again. You could hold a little of your weight now, but you would limp really badly.

“I think I should take you home.” Soohyun said as he grabbed both of the bags and wrapped his arm around your torso that he could help you keep the weight off of that foot. You hobbled to his car.

“I can call someone to bring your car later.” He added as he helped you into the passenger seat. He closed the door and placed the bags in the trunk and got in to the driver’s side and drove to your house.

You slid the key into its slot, the lock clicked as you twisted the handle to open the door. He helped you inside and placed you on the couch.

“Do you have any lounge clothes?” He asked

“What?”

“Comfy clothes?” you nodded and gestured to the bedroom. He found a nice top and shorts that you could change into. He threw them your way as he headed out the door to get the bags that were still in his car. There was a knock on the door.

“Come in.” You were sitting on the couch with the remote in your hands. He placed your gym bag in your room and came and sat next to you on the couch. He gently grabbed the remote from your hands.

“What are you doing?” You asked him

“TV isn’t good for people that are injured.” He said as he pulled a blanket and set the bandage on the small side table that was next to him.

He gently grabbed the injured ankle and you winced at the touch. He gently peeled off the tape and replaced it with a bandage, he cleaned the small scraped that were on your arm and face with care. He wrapped you in a blanket before he went and fixed you lunch. He watched you from the kitchen as you laid your head on the side of the couch and started to fall asleep. He finished making lunch for him and you, he walked over to you pushed the loose hairs away and grazed your forehead. Your eyes gently opened as he held a little tray with your lunch on it.

“Lunch is served, _________” He said as he placed the tray on your lap. When you were finished you handed your tray to him and he went to go clean up from lunch. You fell to sleep again to the sound of the water rushing and the soft singing of Soohyun as he washed the dishes. He finished cleaning up and found you asleep on the couch once again, this time you looked a little uncomfortable to him, he sat on the couch and moved your head so that your head was placed on his thigh. He watched you breathe, he couldn’t believe you, and that you were so wonderful and beautiful. He started to fall asleep on the couch as well. You woke up and found yourself on someone’s thigh; you looked up to find Soohyun sleeping. You rubbed your hand on his which was around your waist. His eyes opened with a smile as you sat up and leaned on his shoulder. His hand wrapped around you and held you close, you kissed his cheek gently.

“You really are something special, Soohyun” you whispered in his ear before you nestled down onto his chest. He leaned down and kissed the crown of your head before changing his position so that you were laying on him slightly.

“I couldn’t ask for anything more.” He said as his head rested on yours.

Friends share a special bond; they help each other, care, and love one another without any judgment.