Wait For Me

Wait For Me

I stared off in to the distance, my mind too preoccupied to notice the gorgeous scenery I had before my eyes. The sun was slowly nearing the horizon, painting the sky with muted tones of orange and pink. Sitting comfortably in an armchair set on the balcony in my villa, I looked down at my hands which were holding a crumpled photograph. It was a picture of my ex-boyfriend and I at the beach together.

Myungsoo had to leave for America to continue his studies, so we decided to take a break from our relationship, as it was tough for the both of us to upkeep a long-distance relationship. I was full of regret, but I couldn’t hold him back from realizing his dream.

I stared at the photograph. Just looking at his smile makes my heart flutter. It brought back a flood of memories that I had tried so hard to bury away deep in my mind after our heart-wrenching breakup.

 

It was dark out, just ten minutes past one. The television was turned down, although soft, muffled voices broke the painful silence of the night. I was sitting on the couch, watching the images on the television flicker past my eyes. I had trouble sleeping, so I made some instant noodles for myself, which were long gone by the time he came down the stairs.

He silently crawled on to the couch, settling next to me, our shoulders touching. “Can’t sleep?” he asked simply. I nodded. “You? Why aren’t you in bed?” I questioned. He shrugged. “The bed felt empty,” he said, laying his head down on my lap. His face was illuminated by the dim light of the TV, and I could see the twinkling in his eyes. I sighed deeply, and my hands automatically reached down to his hair. He closed his eyes, purring softly. I chuckled. “You’re like a cat, you know. A very cute, adorable cat,” I said, turning my attention back to the TV.

Meow. Meow meow.

 
“Shh,” I whispered. He intertwined his fingers through my free hand, playing with my fingers as I ruffled his hair. 

After a few minutes, I heard him snoring softly, his breaths slow and steady. A smile crept up to my lips. He looked so calm and innocent. Vulnerable. I glanced down at his lips. Tempted, I slowly leaned down to give them a soft peck, careful not to wake him. I tucked a loose lock of hair behind my ear, and our lips met for a second. Satisfied, I pulled away. I was shocked to discover his probing eyes staring at me, a smirk tugging at the corner of his lips.

He reached up to take a lock of my hair, grazing the back of his hand against my cheek. Gazing in to my eyes, he pulled me down in to a sweet kiss. My hair fell messily around his face, and he threaded his fingers through my hair, holding it up. I slowly pulled away and smiled at him. “Let’s get back to bed,” I said, getting up from the couch. I dragged him to bed with me. We slipped under the covers, but before we drifted off to sleep, he placed his lips on my forehead and kissed me gently. I felt truly blessed. He gave me such a sense of security, and passion so deep that I felt we were truly meant for each other. As I stared in to his eyes, I slowly fell in to a deep, secure, much-needed sleep.

 

I felt my phone vibrate next to me, and on the screen was an unknown number calling. I hesitated for a moment before I picked up.

“Hello?” I said cautiously.

“Hey, its me.” This voice… It sounded familiar. Could it be…?

“I want you back,” the voice said. I was speechless.

“I’ll win you over again. I’ll get you back,” he continued. He seems determined, I thought silently to myself.

“Wait for me.”

The thought of giving up on you never crossed my mind.

Beep. Beep. Beep.