Chapter 01

Dreams & Promises
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 01

Sunlight slowly crept its way onto the face of the twenty year old as she began to stir from her deep sleep because of the constant ringing of her phone. She hoped for once that the constant ringing was the alarm she had set and not her mother calling to check on her like any parent does when their child moves out, but Dalgi was not that lucky she slept through her alarm and missed five calls from her mother. five calls... she kept thinking to herself if she should answer or pretend that her mother's worst thoughts were true her only daughter had been killed in the middle of the night. Dalgi opted to do the first because her mother cried and it wasn't the most pleasant of sights.

"Good morning!----" Dalgi was met not by the raging voice of her mother but instead by the beeping of someone hanging up and she knew what that meant. Right now Dalgi's mother was probably calling the police chief to tell her that her precious daughter was alive and indeed not dead. The phone rang again and this time Dalgi prepared herself for the mouthful she was about to receive from the mostly civil lady.

"Yu Dalgi, do you know how much I have worried about you? five calls...five calls all went straight to voicemail! I thought you were kidnapped or worst dead! Oh lord you made me say it...the D word! Lord have mercy!" She yelled through her phone. At the age of fifty she still treats her twenty year old daughter like a toddler. Her mother was a famous trot singer back in the day.

"We've had this talk before almost every week mom. I am fine and will be fine all the other days of the year. I left home to get away from you being overbearing but if this continues then I'll be left with no other choice but to block you." Dalgi said trying to stand her ground against her mother. She knew her mother only did this because of what happened to her with the Hwang Corp. eldest son Yumin. Ms. Yu was livid when she saw the broadcast of her daughter having to announce the marriage to the nation, that day Dalgi's mother was like a raging storm entering the Hwang Corp. main building.

"Ma'am you can't go in there right now!" The secretary rushed to block Ms. Yu but it was futile she made it into the room as the Hwang's youngest daughter Yumi left and held back the secretary from disturbing the trio in the large room.

"Ms. Yu how can we help you on this fine even----" Mr. Hwang began but was met with the swift judgement of Ms. Yu's hand across his face. Ms. Yu's face red with anger looked at the two men before her Hwang Hogang and Hwang Yumin, a scoff left as she began.

"Disgusting! How dare you do this to her. How dare you even attempt to do this with that sickly son of yours! Does the association know what you just did. They say you shouldn't trust those who aren't born from money and they were right. How greedy of you two bastards! After everything my Dalgi did for that idiot, you go and betray her like this. Tell me how im suppose to deal with this? I'll give you the choice." Ms. Yu was indeed a formidable opponent as the second ex-wife to Kang Industries Chairman Kang Daejoon. She had connections all over Korea and was backed by many families even her ex-husband's first wife Lee Geumok.

"Just deal with it, Ms. Yu we found something better for my Yumin then that bastards child of yours. Plus I'd be more worried about what your daughter does next seeming as how she just threw her career out the window for a boy." Mr. Hwang spoke with a calmness that was almost scary and Ms. Yu was not happy with his answer.

"Just deal with it? Hearing you say that I fear our Chairman Hwang might be going through dementia and must be forgetting what I did for him..no what I did for this company but I suppose that's what happens when you think you can outsmart someone who has played this game before." Ms. Yu spoke as the main office door opened and  a lady in her mid fifties walked in with elegance and grace of a queen, Lee Geumok.

"Chairwoman Lee! what are you doing here!" The two men stammered as the rose to the arrival of the woman. Lee Geumok was not a force to reckon with  and to make things worse the Hwangs hurt one of her children to be more precise her stepdaughter who she cared for as her own.

"I just heard the funniest thing just now, Hwang Yumin to marry Lee Gayeon not our dear Dalgi, Mija can you explain this to me?" Mrs. Lee began looking around the room in disbelief as she took her seat next to Ms. Yu who was still raging mad.

"He said 'just deal with it' Geumok! They found someone better for his Yumin! He even called my Dalgi a bastards child after she practically put that ill boy on a pedestal! She was the one who saved that bastard from heart failure. My Dalgi went begging on her knees, got water thrown on her and slapped for begging that family to give their dead sons heart to Yumin and this is how you repay her!" Ms. Yu began sobbing.

"I'm sorry, I never loved her."

"Don't use that tone with me young lady must I remind you of why we do these morning calls?" Ms. Yu said and that earned her a sigh and a sign of victory from her daughter.

"Don't go there I was just asleep, okay?"

"Dalgi, you wake up when your asleep. You were dead for three minutes for you those three minutes might have been short but for me it felt like three hundred years had passed before I saw you open your eyes." Dalgi's mom explained letting a tear escape her eyes.

"I understand, mom. Today is your festival right? I'll see you there. Love you." Dalgi quickly said trying to avoid the subject and her mother sighed.

"I'll see you there and also your father will be there with Sunwoo and Sunhwa too." She said with a chirpy voice. Sunwoo and Sunhwa were Dalgi's older siblings from her father's first wife. She got along with them for the most part as long as they stayed out of her life which they never did.

"Why do I have to wear something nice? He barely even comes when he says he is." I questioned her.

"Wear something nice because cameras will be there and I think it's time you got back into being an announcer." She said as she ended the phone call abruptly. She never lets Dalgi finish talking to her. Announcer Yu was the hot topic in all the news spotlights about six months ago when the video was released of her entering a hotel with an unidentified male which was Yumin who got the courtesy of being blurred out something Dalgi didn't receive. She handed in her resignation the following day because the station claimed it was a disgraced but everyone knew it was all set up.

"Go back to being an ann

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter