On The Second Day of Band Camp...

That One Time At Band Camp...

 

Once again, I found myself in my usual spot next to the saxophones in the stretching arc. The sun was just beginning to burn through our resolve and people were already sweating through their shirts. It’s a wonder how it could be getting so hot so early in the morning. We should just be thankful that there’s no wind to push the dry air around.

“Stretch with a partner!” Our drum major called from up front. Everyone turned to the person next to them and imitated what our current leader was demonstrating with one of the woodwinds near him. Expecting Kibum to be next to me like he usually was, I flicked the slightly toned arm next to me.

“What the hell was that for? Did you suddenly forget who’s higher in the seniority food chain?” Heechul hissed. I was met with a hard slap to the cheek and the impact was enough to make me tear up a bit.

Clutching my face where there was undoubtedly going to be a red handprint, I looked up to the angered section leader apologetically. “I’m sorry, Heechul. I thought you were Kibum, so I greeted you like I would him.”

Heechul raised his hand to strike me again and I raised my other arm to protect my face from another one of his hits and closed my eyes tightly. Luckily, I didn’t feel pain or hear the air whizzing by my ear as I fell to the ground. I slowly opened my eyes to see if Heechul was still planning on beating me.

The senior gradually brought his hand down to his side and looked down at his feet in shame, something I had no idea existed to the egotistical man. “Oh, my god…What have I done?” he murmured. Heechul dropped to his knees and I could’ve sworn that I heard what sounded like crying. “I-I’m sorry I hit you, Sungmin. I’ve just been very e-emotional this morning and when you flicked me, I just l-lost it. Please don’t hold this against me later on. I’ve dealt with enough this year.”

I lifted the senior off the ground and propped him upright again. “Heechul, do you need to sit out for a bit?”

He nodded and let me lead him to the small shade cast by the cement base of the bleachers behind the track. “Thanks,” Heechul mumbled before flopping down on the small curb that connected the track to the bleachers.

It hurt seeing one of the most hardened seniors in the group so downtrodden. I guess all of his pent up emotions had finally spilled over after he had hit me for the umpteenth time. Of all people, no one would think that Heechul would be the first to crack this season.

“Kim Heechul! Lee Sungmin! Get back in the arc right now!”

Crap! I forgot we were still stretching, I thought, Maybe Jungsu will show some mercy at our situation. I jogged over to the fuming drum major and stopped about two feet away from him to avoid any items that might be thrown at me if I got too close. “Jungsu, I’m sorry we left the arc, but Heechul is in no state to rehearse at the moment. I couldn’t just leave him on the ground in his misery, so I’m having him sit out for a bit until he’s in a more stable condition.”

Jungsu looked at me with contempt and shifted his gaze to the emotionally troubled senior, the skepticism apparent in his eyes. “Get him back in the arc. He’s just trying to get out of practice so he doesn’t sweat and repel his nonexistent admirers.”

I gaped at the once merciful drum major in shock. How could he possibly think that Heechul was faking this? Sure, he was a member of the school’s theatre troupe, but Heechul wouldn’t actually shed a tear if he wasn’t set off by something significant or apologize for hitting anyone he considered lower than him. “You can clearly see that Heechul is in emotional pain and you’re just going to dismiss it as nothing? What kind of leader would do this to his followers?”

“What followers? As far as I know, no one takes me seriously and if I start going soft on one person, everyone will expect the same treatment,” Jungsu gave a quick glare to those who were gawking at him before returning his glower to me, “You and I both know that Heechul is known for his dramatic displays of emotion whenever he tries to avoid doing something he has no desire attempting. Now get him back in his spot or I’ll have you both run for defiance.”

“Please, Jungsu. Let him off this one time.” I was on the brink of tears and I wasn’t even the one who was suffering at the moment. The junior that the group had loved and respected the year before had become someone I regretted associating with. It made me wonder what happened to the ever merciful alto player that was favored by the majority.

He shook his head and pointed out to the track. “Run until I tell you to stop. I’m not going to have this from a junior, one who plans to be drum major after I leave no less.”

I opened my mouth to defend myself, but I found that pointless since I realized that Jungsu wasn’t going to listen to anything else I had to say. “Yes, sir,” I replied sorrowfully before I sprinted away from the crowd that was engrossed in our little exchange.

If this was supposed to humiliate me, then our drum major had succeeded. Having to run laps as a junior was demeaning and ultimately cost you any sort of respect the others had for you. My resentment for Jungsu had begun to grow with each lap I completed around the track and I had lost any feeling of closeness I once had with our leader. I’m sure if anyone had known that he would change so drastically he wouldn’t have won over so many people and the director would’ve chosen Jongwoon or Siwon instead.

The disapproving stares from almost one hundred people as I ran past grew more intense with each pass and I had the urge to stuff our drum major in a bass drum case because of this punishment. By the time I had completed my tenth lap, I had almost lost all feeling in my calfs and my thighs were on fire. Any sort of soreness or discomfort I would’ve felt in my feet disappeared after my eighth lap, which worried me. Had I damaged my feet so badly that they couldn’t feel pain anymore?

About two laps later, the group had been given a quick water break and I carefully avoided bumping into anyone. I pushed back the feeling of nausea that threatened to take over and tried to make it past the brass without being hit by mouthpieces.

“Sungmin, stop running!”

I slowly came to a stop in front of the trombones and turned around to thank our drum major for ending my suffering. I was stunned when it wasn’t Jungsu who ordered me to stop running. “Kyuhyun, what are you doing? You’re going to get in trouble and I’m going to get into even more trouble if Jungsu sees that I’m not running,” I whispered and hid behind the trombone section to avoid being seen.

“I don’t care if I get in trouble. I can’t stand seeing you like this and I can tell that you were either going to pass out or throw up. Just get in your spot for the first set and I’ll run the rest of the laps for you.”

“But Jungsu will know that I’m not running if he sees a mellophone on the field.”

Kyuhyun held out his clarinet to me and looked around warily. “Then take my clarinet and get in my spot for the first set. Jungsu won’t know the difference as long as all the clarinets look like they’re in their spots. Now get some water and get on the field before anyone notices that you’re not on the track.”

I took the instrument from the sophomore and nodded weakly. “Thanks, Kyuhyun. If we get busted, then I’ll do whatever Jungsu decides to punish you with on top of mine.”

“No problem, Min. I have to go now. Everyone’s leaving the track already. Wish me luck.” Kyuhyun winked and dashed away.

I felt guilty letting him take the rest of my punishment for me, but I wouldn’t be able to dissuade him otherwise if I bothered fighting. I fixed my hair so that it obscured my face and went to the hole in the clarinet circle a few feet away from my usual spot.

“Kyuhyun, get your hair out of your face or Jungsu will make you pin it back,” Jongwoon, the clarinet section leader, reached over to sweep my dark hair back, but I quickly swatted his hands away.

“But the sun is pretty intense, and I don’t want to damage my eyes,” I blurted out nervously. If Jongwoon found out that I wasn’t Kyuhyun, Kyuhyun and I would be running laps and doing lunges for the rest of the year.

“That’s not an excuse, Kyuhyun. Now get your bangs out of your face before Jungsu yells at me again for not keeping the section together.”

“Are you sure you want me to do that?”

Jongwoon nodded and stared at me disapprovingly. I hesitantly brushed my hair to the side and waited for someone to report me to Jungsu.

“What the hell?” Jongwoon pulled my face closer and examined me intently. “If you’re here, then Kyuhyun must be…” He looked to the tall figure running past and huffed. “Because I did the same for Ryeowook last year, I won’t tell Jungsu about this so make it believable that you’re my sophomore and not the brass captain.”

“You have no idea how much I love you right now, Jongwoon. Thanks so much.” I smiled at the senior and dragged my hair back where it previously was.

“I don’t want to know how much you love me, so don’t tell me. Just act like Kyuhyun until Jungsu makes him stop running.” He whispered.

“Band atten-hut!”

Everyone froze in their spots and held their instruments up at attention.

“Stop talking and get in your spots! We’re going to review what we learned yesterday and fix anything that needs fixing before we move on.”

I looked to Jongwoon, who was just as worried as I was. “Psst! What am I going to do? I don’t know Kyuhyun’s dots in the show at all.”

“Kyuhyun ends up two strides away from you in the next set and then he comes back to where you are right now. Then he goes eight strides backwards and two to the right because of the meter change, which lands him between me and you in the diagonal,” he explained, “Also, don’t play or Jungsu will know for sure you’re not Kyuhyun. Does the clarinet have a reed on it?”

I nodded and showed him the small piece of wood on the mouthpiece.

“Give it to me. If Jungsu asks why you’re not playing, say that you forgot to bring a reed with you and no one else had extras. He’ll only make you do a couple of pushups for such a small offense.”

I carefully popped the ligature off and handed Jongwoon the size 3½ Vandoren reed. “I swear I’ll make this up to both you and Kyuhyun. Thanks for not saying anything.”

He slipped the reed into a reed case and placed it in his pocket. “Don’t mention it. Just don’t get caught or all three of us will get in trouble.”

We went back to attention and waited for the metronome to start pinging annoyingly so we could start our quick run through.

Ping! Ping! Ping!

Jungsu climbed onto the ladder and raised his hands to let everyone know to get ready to march. “I’ll give you four counts!” he called. We watched carefully and counted four before we moved.

I had a bit of trouble remembering what Jongwoon had told me earlier, but I made sure that I made it into the diagonal before it was apparent that I had no idea what I was doing. Miraculously, I managed to pull it off with only a stumble here and there, but nothing too noticeable to the “director’s” eyes.

Jongwoon gently nudged me with his elbow and gave me a small smile. “You did well, Sungmin. Jungsu didn’t stop in the middle when you reached the fifty yard line, so he doesn’t know you’re not Kyuhyun.”

“Thanks. I hope he lets Kyuhyun stop soon. He looks sick already.” Right when I said that, a loud thud was heard and everyone gasped. I looked to the track and my eyes widened in horror. “Oh, my god! Kyuhyun!” I ran to my fallen friend’s side and flipped him onto his back. “Kyuhyun, say something! This can’t be happening.”

Jongwoon rushed over and kneeled beside us to assess the situation. “Is he okay? Please tell me Jungsu didn’t indirectly kill my successor.”

“Does he look like he’s okay?! Is it okay for someone to be so limp after running who knows how many laps?!” I was freaking out. Not only was I responsible for Kyuhyun’s plight, I was going to be murdered by our drum major once he got here. “Jongwoon, what are we going to do? We can’t just leave him like this.”

The senior grabbed Kyuhyun’s wrist and checked for a pulse. “He’s still alive, but his heart is racing like crazy. Go tell Jungsu that I’m going to take Kyuhyun to the hospital across the street and that we may not be back for the afternoon practice.”

“But I’m going to end up like Kyuhyun if I let him know that I’m not the one that passed out.”

“I’ll take care of everything when we get back, so don’t worry about a thing. Just tell Jungsu where we’re going and why.” Jongwoon threw the limp teenager over his shoulder and ran out of the stadium to presumably climb the fence to the hospital.

I stood up and turned to alert our current leader of what happened to our two best clarinets. I didn’t have to go very far since he was standing in front of me. 

“Sungmin, what’s going on? What happened to Kyuhyun? Why was he running instead of you?”

“Jongwoon’s taking Kyuhyun to get help because he just fainted and this was all because Kyuhyun insisted that he would finish my punishment and that I march in his place.”

Jungsu nodded as he took in all the new information. “That would explain why I didn’t hear any clarinet sound when you got to the fifty yard line. Normally, I would punish you severely for letting someone else take your punishment for you, but since we’re missing clarinets and it was my fault for being so irrational, I’ll let you and Kyuhyun off for your little stunt. Now go with Jongwoon to make sure Kyuhyun’s okay. I want a full report so I can tell Director Park exactly what happened.”

I saluted the upset senior and ran off after the pair of clarinet players. I knew for sure Jongwoon was going to kill me once Kyuhyun woke up since all of this was my fault. If I hadn’t flicked Heechul when we were stretching, then I wouldn’t have made anyone cry or run laps for about an hour.

Eventually, I caught up to the two when Jongwoon was still trying to figure out a way to get over the chain link fence while still carrying his charge. His fence climbing skills had obviously deteriorated since the woodwind and mellophone excursion to McDonald’s two years ago.

“Sungmin, what are you doing here? I thought I told you to stay with Jungsu.”

“He told me to come with you. Now give me Kyuhyun and I’ll get him over the fence.”

Jongwoon shook his head at me and finally made it over the fence. “I don’t need your help with Kyuhyun. Just go back and tell the clarinets that I won’t be back until tomorrow. I have to make sure this guy at least wakes up.” He gave me a small smile before running into the large building across the street.

I hope you’re okay, Kyuhyun. This was all my fault.


I stood in the same place on the track as I was before the group of three left. All my strength had left me and I was being overcome with guilt. Using what energy I could muster, I called the group to a halt and quickly dismissed them for lunch. There was no way I could continue this practice knowing that it was because of my carelessness and irrationality that one of our members collapsed while I was in charge. I was clearly not ready for this much responsibility, but I chose to take on this position and the title of Drum Major.

“Jungsu, why is everyone leaving? They still have an hour of rehearsal left before they’re dismissed.”

I turned my head to look back at my ‘boss’, our director. He didn’t seem to be in the best of spirits today, so this might be easier than I thought. “Director Park, I would like a demotion. I can’t handle being the drum major of such a large group.”

“Are you questioning my judgment? I wouldn’t have chosen you for this position if I didn’t deem you worthy.”

I lowered my gaze and nodded slightly to show my understanding. “I see that, but a student collapsed on the track because I made him run longer than he could possibly take. Because of this, I ask that you appoint someone else to my position in the group.”

There was silence between us and only the slight breeze that had picked up was heard. After almost eons, a loud sigh resonated through the stadium and I lifted my head to look at the disappointed director.

“If that is what you want, then consider yourself only as the woodwind captain and alto section leader. I’ll name the new drum major after lunch. Have a good day, Jungsu.”

“Thank you, sir.” I bowed my head ever so slightly and ran off to find my usual group of seniors to tell them what had happened.


The waiting room was vacant except for the two similarly dressed instrumentalists that sat in almost complete silence. That is if Jongwoon’s worried sobs counted as silence.

“Do you think he’s going to be okay?” he asked. Quite honestly, I didn’t know what to tell him. This had happened once before and the person affected almost didn’t make it. Why did this have to happen to him? It should’ve been me instead.

I reached over and gave the senior’s hand a reassuring squeeze. “He’ll be fine, so don’t worry about him. I would just find a way to make the clarinet section sound like it’s not missing one of its stronger members. Once Kyuhyun’s parents hear about this, they won’t hesitate to pull him out of band, which will inevitably mess up the balance in the woodwind sound.”

“So what? Even if we still had Kyuhyun, no one would be able to hear us over the flutes and saxophones. I’m just concerned for the clarinet solo toward the end of the first movement. The freshmen will definitely fight each other for it even if I were to get it by default.”

I raised my eyebrow at him. Is he really going to bring that up? “You think you’re unheard? I’ve been by myself for the past year, so I know for a fact that no one can hear me over the damn trumpets. Instead of ing about it like the trombones, I just focused on tone rather than volume. It’s better to have great tone than be loud and splatter the notes everywhere.”

“I suppose you’re right, but you’ve had more time to focus on yourself. You’ve even had more time to practice for this year’s drum major try outs, while I was stuck working with someone who ended up switching to tenor sax.”

I patted his back sympathetically and let him pour his heart out about how he should’ve been drum major instead. I knew how he felt, since I was sure that I would suffer the same fate next year with my current rival. In a matter of minutes, my red shirt was stained with tears and clung to my shoulder.

“May I speak with the guardian of Cho Kyuhyun for a moment?”

Jongwoon and I stared at each other, contemplating which one of us should state that we were Kyuhyun’s guardian.

“Jongwoon, you go. You’re his section leader, so you’re in charge of him.”

“No, you should go. You’re closer to him than I am.”

This went on for about ten minutes before the woman in scrubs pulled us away from each other. “Why don’t you both come with me? I don’t have all day for this.”

“That sounds like a good idea.” Jongwoon muttered while he smoothed the wrinkles in his t-shirt.

We were led to a hallway in front of a room on the third floor and the nurse opened one of the files she had in her hands.

“I have some good news and some bad news. Which do you want first?”

“Give us the good news.”

She flipped to the second page of the small packet that was in the folder. “Your friend’s condition  has stabilized and his heart rate is back to normal. It was a case of severe dehydration and he is being treated for that as we speak. The bad news is that he has extreme swelling in his feet and it is advised that he take it easy for the next few days or until the swelling goes down.”

Jongwoon took the folder from the woman and started flipping through the pages. “So how long will it be until he’ll be able to march? Kyuhyun is a vital part of the clarinet section and we can’t lose him due to our small size.”

“I’d give him a week before he resumes his activities. If you wish to see him, he’s staying in the room behind you. Have a nice day, boys.” The nurse swiped the file from the clarinet player and left to a different room, leaving us outside in the hall like idiots.

“What time is it?” I asked.

Jongwoon pulled out his phone and looked down at the screen. “It’s twelve thirty, so everyone would be going to lunch about now.”

I nodded and pulled twenty dollars from my pocket. “Jongwoon, buy me something from the cafeteria. I’ll check on Kyuhyun in the meantime.”

“No. As his section leader, I’ll check on him first. You go buy the food.”

I groaned and shoved the crumpled bill into the stubborn senior’s hands. “How about I wait out here while you get the food? Then we can see Kyuhyun at the same time.”

Jongwoon studied me with suspicion and put the money in his wallet. “Fine, but if I come back and you’re in that room-”

I pushed him toward the elevator and pressed the button to go down. “Just get me a burger or something and stop thinking I’m going to visit our sophomore without you,” I scolded playfully.

“I’ve known you long enough to know that you’re going to do the opposite of what you’re telling me,” Jongwoon muttered before stepping into the elevator.

I waited until the doors closed and looked around warily for any possible witnesses to our short debate. There were none and I strolled back to Kyuhyun’s room. After surveying my surroundings once more, I hesitantly went inside.

To my dismay, all the curtains were drawn to conceal the four beds in the room and the last thing I wanted to do was disturb anyone who might be sleeping. I tried to ignore the stench of cleanliness that permeated the room while I went farther back.

“Kyuhyun, if you’re awake, let me know where you are,” I whispered. I kept a close eye on anything that could be moved and waited for some sort of signal from the clarinet player. A small hairpin smacked the side of my head and I turned to the side where I thought it came from. “Kyuhyun?”

“Turn around you idiot. I’m on your other left.”

I ran to the third curtain and pulled it aside. I regretted it almost immediately. “I have no idea how to say this, but-”

“Yeah, yeah. I know I look like crap and I already know that I’m probably not going to be performing with you this year or next year. Just sit down before my parents show up to drag me home and burn my clarinet.”

I did as I was ordered and stared down at the tiles beneath me. I couldn’t stand to see Kyuhyun so vulnerable. It drove daggers through my very being to know that it was my fault that he was here with a needle in his arm. I almost didn’t want to be in the same room with him because of my self-disgust.

Kyuhyun slowly leaned over and poked my cheek with his finger. “Sungmin, why are you so quiet? It’s kind of making me doubt it’s really you.”

I smacked the sophomore’s hand away and looked up at the pallid figure staring back at me. “It’s nothing you need to worry about, so don’t trouble yourself. I just wish Jongwoon would hurry up with the food. I wouldn’t be surprised if he was stuffing himself in the elevator as we speak.” I chortled a bit as the image of a ravenous Jongwoon stuck in an elevator with food filled my mind.

“Did you tell him to bring me anything? I’m starving.”

“It completely slipped my mind, but I’ll send Jongwoon back to get you something when he gets here with my food.”

We sat in awkward silence until the food bearing senior arrived in a huff.

“I thought you said that you’d wait for me outside, you jerk. I wanted to be the first to check on my favorite section member.” Jongwoon threw a sandwich at my face and sat down in the chair next to me.

“Why has everyone been throwing things at me lately? I’m going to have to wear a hockey mask for the rest of the season if this keeps up.” I took the plastic off the sandwich and frowned slightly. “Tuna? Really, Jongwoon? Weren’t there any roast beef sandwiches down there?”

“There was one, but I decided to get it for the future clarinet section leader. I take care of those in my section first.” He stuck his tongue out at me and handed Kyuhyun the cold sandwich. “Anyway, it wasn’t me who decided to make Heechul sit out when we were stretching.”

“Shut up, Jongwoon! You would’ve done the same if you saw how horrible he looked. I almost wanted to cry and I was just next to him. Imagine how Heechul must’ve felt.”

“Don’t tell me what to do. You’re just the brass captain, so you have no jurisdiction over a woodwind player.” He smirked at me and took a large bite from his cake. “I’m also a senior, so take that!”

I rolled my eyes and reluctantly bit into my sandwich. It took a lot to stop myself from gagging from the fishy taste, but I managed to get the mouthful down.

“Jongwoon, why are you here anyway? I thought you were supposed to be guarding a certain someone from a certain freshman in the pit.”

This made the senior choke on the large piece of cake that he had just stuffed into his mouth. We stared at him while he recollected himself and managed to breathe.

“What are you talking about? Ryeowook can take care of himself and Henry doesn’t seem to be a bad guy. He’s just addicted to cupcakes and I’m just concerned that he might turn Ryeowook into a cupcake addict as well. We all know why sugar should be avoided during marching season and no one wants a hyperactive flute player frolicking around on the field.”

“Sure you don’t. I’ll just keep that in mind when you practically tackle the Canadian down whenever he goes within a fifty foot radius of your favorite underclassman.”

Jongwoon gave the smirking clarinet player a quick glare before returning his attention to the dessert he had in his hands. I set my pile of fish on my lap and waited for them to finish eating so we could converse about random things until Kyuhyun was dragged home in a bubble by his parents.

“So what now? My parents aren’t coming until four and it’s barely two. I want to get out of here so badly!” Kyuhyun reached behind him, pulled a pillow out from under his head, and screamed as loud as he possibly could into the soft cushion to make his point.

I leaned forward and yanked the abused pillow away from him. “We can’t do much since you’re stuck here and I seriously doubt anyone is going to expect us to go back so soon.”

“Why don’t we tell stories about our past experiences in band to pass the time? I’ve got some really good ones about our mellophone player from when he just a cute little freshman and before he turned into the troublesome junior we all know and love today.” Jongwoon mussed up my hair and pinched my cheeks, most likely to irritate me.

“Sure, why not? Sungmin hasn’t told me anything about his freshman year, so I have to listen to this.”

I hid my face with the pillow I still had from earlier and prayed the “Pink Lady” story never made an appearance in today’s gathering.

“It all started on the last week of band camp two years ago…”

Kyuhyun’s never going to let me live this down for as long as I live, and then he’ll still taunt me after we die. Damn you, Jongwoon!

“…the woodwinds used to kidnap the freshmen as one giant group, but now we do it as individual sections. Anyway, the sophomores that year were in charge of kidnapping the freshman flute players, and Jaejoong, Heechul, and I were assigned to kidnap your best friend.”

“Wait a minute. Sungmin played flute his freshman year? He told me he played mellophone the entire time he was in this group.”

“Sungmin is a big pink liar, so listen to my story. So, the three of us went to Sungmin’s house at three in the morning and since his parents were in on the plan, he had no clue that we were coming to get him. The whole situation went a little something like this…”

 

 

“This is going to be so awesome, guys. I can’t wait to see the look on my freshman’s face,” Heechul snickered evilly.

Jaejoong slapped the scheming sophomore’s head and pouted ever so slightly.“Heechul, don’t do something to traumatize the poor guy. We’re short on flutes enough as it is and I don’t want to lose such an adorable kid. The section needs more people like him.”

“Don’t you dare start with your pouty face, Jaejoong. You know that it only works on Yunho, and that’s just because he thinks you’re a girl with a boy’s haircut.”

“Would you two just be quiet? You’ll wake up the entire neighborhood if you continue yelling at each other.” I scolded.

“Shut up, Jongwoon. Why are you even here with us? You’re not even in the section.”

I crossed my arms and glared at the arrogant flutist. “Jay told me to be here, so take it up with him if you have a problem with it. Now let’s just get this over with.”

We creepily made our way to our target’s house and used the key that Sungmin’s parents left under the mat. I raised my finger to my lips one final time to signal the bickering sophomores to be completely silent and carefully went up the stairs to the bedroom we would soon invade.

“Are you guys ready? We only have one shot, so let’s make this work.”

Heechul and Jaejoong got out the rope and duct tape that would be used to restrain the victim and prepared it for use.

“On the count of three, we go inside, but we have to be quiet. If we wake him up, then it’s game over. One…two…three.” I turned the doorknob slowly and gently pushed the door open. All was still and the only sound that was heard was the steady breathing of our target.

We reached his bedside and stared at him for a moment.

“He looks so peaceful when he sleeps,” Jaejoong reached a hand out to brush away some stray hairs that covered his near angelic face.

“It’s a shame we have to wake him up.” Heechul ripped off the covers and stepped back in shock. “Oh, my god!”

The victim of the annual woodwind kidnapping woke up with a jolt and screamed when he saw us standing next to him. “What are you doing here? It’s three in the morning and I’m not…Crap! I can’t believe my own section and Jongwoon were the first ones to see-”

Heechul slapped a long piece of duct tape over the freshman’s mouth and put the rest of the roll back in the bag on his back. “Calm down, Sungmin. At least it was us and not the guard. We’re all men here, so there’s no need to be ashamed. Now get your practice clothes on so we can meet the rest of the woodwinds at IHOP.”

 

“…Then, Sungmin ran to the bathroom in only his bed sheets and duct tape."

Kyuhyun was dying of laughter and was already crying. “So you, Heechul, and Jaejoong caught Sungmin sleeping in the buff? Now I know why he refuses to take his shirt off in front of me. Thanks for that enlightening story, Jongwoon.”

I tossed the pillow at the hyena that was laughing at my expense and covered my chest self-consciously. “Why’d you have to tell him that story? Now Kyuhyun’s never going to let me hear the end of this!”

“Loosen up, Sungmin. We’re all men here, so there’s no need to be ashamed.” Kyuhyun had begun to laugh harder than before and was about to fall off the bed.

Jongwoon nudged my ribs and gave me a wink. “Yeah, Min. At least we’re not the guard.”

And he calls himself a senior…I’m much more mature than him.

I looked at the wall and sighed in defeat. “Go ahead and laugh at me. It’s not like my shorts fell during the big run through of the first movement last year at band camp.”

The room fell silent and all eyes were on me. For a moment, I thought I had offended Kyuhyun, but his mischievous grin convinced me otherwise.

“So?” he shrugged, “A ton of girls went up to me after the performance to get my number while you were only ogled by Heechul at three in the morning. We all know who the clear winner of this little fight is."

“Both of you shut up and let me tell you what Ryeowook just texted me.”

Kyuhyun snatched the phone from the suddenly serious senior. “So he finally took my advice and asked Henry out? Donghae owes me twenty bucks and a week’s worth of lunch at Taco Bell.”

“No! He sent me a list of the new drum majors. It turns out that Jungsu resigned and Park just reassigned the positions.”

Kyuhyun continued scrolling through the messages and nearly dropped the expensive phone in shock. “Jongwoon’s the field drum major now. I can’t believe I have a drum major in my section," he said dejectedly.

I patted his back to console him and tried to sneak a peek at the screen. “It’s okay, Kyuhyun. If Jongwoon’s up on the ladder conducting, then he won’t be able to yell at you as easily.”

“That’s not what I’m worried about.”

“Then what is it?”

“I have to call him Yesung now. We made a bet that if he became drum major, I would call him Yesung for the rest of the year and do twenty pushups after practice until the end of band camp. That’s why I ran on stage at last year’s banquet to hug Jungsu when he was appointed instead of Jongwoon.”

Jongwoon smiled smugly at the irritated sophomore and took his phone back. “That’s right, Kyu. I’m your drum major now, so say my name.”

“No. Just tell me who the parade drum major is. I need to know who I’m going to be annoying on the parade route.”

Jongwoon rolled his eyes and scrolled farther down. “I’ll just read the entire list, so we know who’s going to be leading us this season. I’m the field and main drum major. Yunho is now the parade drum major, and Yoochun is having trouble deciding who’ll be the backfield drum major in Yunho’s place. It’s rumored to be a junior instead of a senior this year.”

“No way!” I swiped the phone and read through the list carefully. “Did Ryeowook tell you who the candidates are?”

Jongwoon shook his head and looked down at his hands. “Considering that only two juniors tried out to be the backfield drum major, I’d say that it’s one or the other.”

Kyuhyun looked at me with wide eyes and a smile slowly crept onto his face. “Do you know what this means? I’m going to be friends with two drum majors!”

“How do you figure that? Who’s your other drum major friend?”

“You really are oblivious.” Kyuhyun leaned over and lifted me off the chair by my shoulders. “Think about it. Besides Yunho, who else tried out to be backfield drum major this year?”

“That’s easy. It was me and Donghae, but what does that have to do with-” I thought about it for a second and smacked my forehead in realization, “Oh! I get it now, but what makes you think that I’ll be backfield drum major?”

“Let me tell you a little secret.” Jongwoon beckoned me to come closer and I tipped my head slightly to allow him to whisper whatever it was that he had to say. “Donghae only tried out because Hyukjae forced him to!”

I rubbed my deafened ear tenderly and grimaced in pain. “Thanks for impairing my hearing, but what does that have to do with anything?”

“Donghae never wanted to be drum major, so he’ll most likely refuse the position if it’s offered to him. Then you’ll be backfield drum major by default. It’s simple biology, Sungmin.” Jongwoon shrugged and sat back in his seat.

“How the hell did you manage to maintain a 4.0 GPA for the past three years?”

“I’m cute, and all the ladies love me.”

Kyuhyun raised his eyebrow at his section leader. “You know that Ryeowook doesn’t count as a girl, right?”

“He did last year when the flutes made him cross dress for an entire practice!” Jongwoon shouted defensively,  “It’s not my fault he looked prettier than the guard.”

“You’re the one who suggested that they dress him up like that, so it was your fault.”

Jongwoon threw his hands up and stood from his seat. “I’m leaving now, so don’t do anything stupid.”

We watched while he stomped out of the room in a huff.

“He’ll be back.”

“What do you mean?”

I held up the rather large Smartphone and grinned. “I still have his phone. Do you want to prank text Ryeowook until he realizes he doesn’t have any form of communication?”

“Heck yeah!” Kyuhyun stole the phone from me and sent our friend a plethora of absurd messages while the owner of the phone was unsuspecting of what was going on. “This might be my final act of band camp mischief, so it was a pleasure being an idiot with you, Sungmin.”

“The feeling is mutual, Kyuhyun.”

“Where’s my damn phone?! Kyuhyun, I swear if you’re texting Ryeowook, I’m going to murder you!”

Rest in peace, Cho Kyuhyun. It was an honor marching with you.