Beautiful

To Fall

Word vomit coming through ~

 

 

 

 

He’s wearing a dark blue t-shirt with fading white abstract stains along the fabric, a little bit too large for his petite body. Black comfy jeans matched with white sneakers, again, maybe one number bigger than his actual size. Milky white skin gleams under the numerous lamps at the ceiling, the mirror walls around him are biasing the lights more. Dark brown hair cropped short, not properly styled, but somehow neat. Plump lips reciting the lines of his favorite song as his usually saucers-like eyes fluttering closed along with the feels that came as he digs into the memory of his younger times, first love, all that brings one and another irony.

 

He started with a soft whisper, low mi note with a slight tremble, then it eventually became louder smoothly along with the emotion, his Adam apple bobbing slightly along somewhere at the lines. That moment, he feels alone. In a good way. The loneliness that he needed sometimes. Despite the heart wrenching lyric, he smiled, knowing the he’s doing well. So he continues singing, mesmerizing the people around him.

 

Kai calls him beautiful.

 

__________

 

 

He watched as several doctors are surrounding a table, creating a hushed fuss. Unfamiliar tools are creating faint clanking sounds when it brought against each other. The beeping sound from the machine near them only trigged their nervousness more. Slowly, he stepped back, eyes still glued at the figure on the table. His mouth felt dry.

 

Please, he whispered inside.

 

“Are you scared?”

 

He tilted aside, finding a guy standing next to him. All-black outfit embraced the tan skin beneath. Brown locks come out a bit messy. A pair of soft melancholic eyes gazes at him.

 

“Uh?” he managed to choke out.

 

The guy brings up his index finger and pointed at the figure that the doctors had been working at. “Isn’t it scary to see yourself there,” he said before he brought back his finger to point over the latter, “while you’re standing here?”

 

He blinked. Oh. “Well..” he murmured, “yeah.”

 

“Don’t worry,” the guy said with a gentle and assuring voice, “you don’t have to be here anymore. You can actually leave now.”

 

Again, he blinks. “Really? My.. time, my time has come?”

 

Slowly, the guy nods.

 

Ah, so it’s really happening, he murmured inside as he gazed at his own physical body again. No what? Should he say goodbye to himself? That would be ridiculous.

 

“But Sehun,” he murmured, “Sehun, he’s my – will he be alright? How will he cope with my.. will he be fine?”

 

Sending an apologetic stare, the guy gestured him to follow his steps. “I’m sorry, I have no idea about that.” he said. “I’m just an angel, I can’t foresee the future.”

 

He managed to chuckle. “Yeah, I guessed so.” he said as they walk through the wall, finding both of them are already outside the ER. “I.. can I see him for the last time?”

 

Without a word, the tan guy pointed at the ER door. He followed the latter’s finger and find who he has been looking for. There he see the person he had loved for years, so deeply that he couldn’t remember a moment when he doesn’t love the pale white boy. The figure is leaning on the wall next to the door, his slender silhouette slumped down, enveloped in a bundle of his red hoodie. How he wished he could pull the boy into his embrace, but of course that’s impossible now. He kinda regretted that he didn’t do it before the surgery. Well, who knows he’d be really gone this soon. Everyone had high hopes on him, even himself.

 

He stepped forward, closer to the pale. “Sehunnie,” he whispered ever so softly, as if he’s scared of breaking the boy if he’s ever louder than that, “I’m so sorry, I can’t go to the beach with you this weekend, or the other weekend after that, and after that. I’m.. so sorry.”

 

“Uhm,” the tan guy is already next to him again, “Luhan, he can’t hear you.”

 

“I know.” Luhan sighed softly. He can’t even touch Sehun. He stepped back, slowly shifting towards the other. “Let’s.. go, then, uh, what’s your name? Do you.. have a name?”

 

Smiling, the tan guy nodded. “Call me Kai.”

 

Luhan repeated the name on his lips. “Then, shall we go now?”

 

Kai frowned slightly. “Are you ready?”

 

“Hm-hm. What should I be waiting for?” Luhan said.

 

Stepping aside, Kai gestured at the very end of the hospital corridor, where the window shines brighter than it’s supposed to be. “Then, this way.”

 

Luhan took the last glance at his beloved before he start to walk, following Kai’s short strides. He puffed both his cheeks, nervousness bubbling inside his chest. I’m really leaving now.

 

__________

 

 

The studio is a bit crowded today, the students of vocal class are gathering to have a section where they’d be reciting the song that was assigned for them a couple days ago. Since the lecturer hasn’t come yet, they used their time to just have a chit-chat or take a review of their music sheets, hoping they’d be doing good, singing the notes perfectly. But even with the number of people there, the room still feels calm and comforting, as the warm sun light shines through the huge window, the lights hits the mirror wall across the room and biased back again over all directions. The faint scent of chamomile lingers at the cool air around them, along with the soothing melodies from the piano being played.

 

“Have you read this one? The high pitch is a trap. I choked on my own saliva when I tried to sing it yesterday.”

 

“Really? I almost ran out of my breath trying this.”

 

Sometimes he’d be wondering why he even bothered to spend his time here, watching someone who obviously couldn’t see him back. He could’ve just left and do his work, what he’s supposed to be doing, not wasting his time here being invisible for everyone. But when he looks at the certain human again, he’d be reminded of why he had fallen for him in the first place. Maybe sometimes you don’t really need a reason to love, and sometimes doing something useless means a whole world to you.

 

“You’re not supposed to be here.”

 

Casting a meaningful look at his partner, Kai lets the corner of his lips curled up into a shy smirk. “You caught me again.”

 

Lay rolled his eyeballs before his gaze wandered over a boy with eyes big and round like a pair of soccer balls striding across the room, his sneakers making annoying sounds against the woodened floor. “So that’s him? Kris told me about it.” amusement laced thickly in his voice as he brought his arms folded in the front of his chest.

 

“He did?” Kai blinked. Then he tilted his head side, eyes staring at the object of the conversation dreamily. “Yeah, that’s him.”

 

Do Kyungsoo, if I’m not mistaken?” Lay asked.

 

Kai nodded as he stared back at the boy, who’s reading a piece of music sheet by now. “Yeah..”

 

Softly, Lay chuckled at how a tint of blush creeps on the latter’s cheek. “You’re an angel, Kai.” he said in a tone a mother will use to her son. “The one who fetches souls, to be exact. You’re not supposed to fall in love.”

 

There, Kai absolutely know that thing. He tired of everyone keeps reminding him about it. But that doesn’t mean it could stop his heart from feeling that sensation, that tingling. And that is, if he really has a heart to begin with.

 

Falling in love and feeling is whole different things. Feeling love means you appreciate everything around you, the happiness radiates in every steps. But falling in love is adoring a certain thing, certain person, feeling the urge to make the other belongs to you because your heart is already belong to that person. Human could feel love and fall in it too. But for angels, they could feel love, but they can’t fall in love, because it’s one of feelings that only human could posses. Because feeling love doesn’t cause any harm, but falling in love could lead into sins.

 

However, Kai can’t describe his feelings to Kyungsoo with other words than ‘falling in love’.

 

“We better get going.” Lay said before he offered his hand to his friend. “The sun will set soon. We can’t be late again like yesterday.

 

Kai took a proper look at the Kyungsoo guy, who’s talking to his friend in so much enthusiasm. He watched as the usually round eyes formed a pair of crescent moons as his face lights up into laughter. And unconsciously, he smiles too, as if the boy’s happiness radiates over him.

 

Beautiful.

 

“Kai, come on.” Lay warned again.

 

Taking the hand to stand up, Kai grinned apologetically at the latter. “Let’s go.”

 

 

 

When it’s sunset, all the angels are gathered together in a beach, taking a little time to listen to the music of the nature. The melodies from heavens that only them could hear. Kai couldn’t remember when was the first time he joined the ritual, and he gave up memorizing it whenever it comes to his mind. He chose to just enjoy the precious moment, when he’s just him, being a creature, enjoying every bit of his existence.

 

He opened his eyes into the shades of lilac and yellowish stains on the sky, a painting that could twitch a heart with the memory of a long forgotten sad yet beautiful moment. He breathed against the chilling air, the waves are crashing not so far from him, creating a sound of nostalgia and ‘do you remember?’s.

 

He found Kris is already standing between him and Lay. He scrunched up his nose in dislike. “Make some sound when you come, will you?”

 

Kris, as much as an angel of many expressions he isn’t, just chuckled lightly. “I like being soundless.”

 

Yifan!” Lay chirped. Of all the angels, Lay is the only one who called Kris with his former name when he was still a human. It’s quite forbidden among them to do so, but apparently Lay and Kris were somewhat best friends back when they were alive, so they called each other with their real names.

 

“How’s the snatching going?” Kris said as he ruffled Lay’s locks.

 

“Fine.” Kai said. “This morning a good guy named Luhan died. I pitied his lover.”

 

Kris furrowed his thick eyebrows. “If you say it like that then it means it was really sad.”

 

Shrugging, Kai threw his gaze over the ocean in front of him. The water sparkles under the lights that left from the sun. “I think they really loved each other.”

 

“Amazing, right? How human could love like that. Unconditionally, against any circumstances. “ Lay said dreamily, his voice faded along the emotion into the sound of crashing waves. “It’s like, the most beautiful thing in this realm, that even angels like us want to feel. It wouldn’t be a surprise if some of us had tried to feel it too.”

 

Sensing something fishy, Kai eyed the latter, who’s also eyeing him. Oh, Lay is talking about him.

 

“Being thoughtful today huh, Yixing?” Kris said affectionately at the shorter.

 

Lay smiled sweetly. “Just saying.”

 

“Off to go, fellas. Snatching some souls.” Kai swiftly pull himself out of the circle. Lay chuckled crisply, the confused yet amused Kris next to him. Kai retreated back, disappearing into a soft poof of white and grayish smokes.

 

__________

 

 

He imagines a memory of him walking along the shore, the wave softly tickles his feet as it crashes against each other. The scent of the heat in the air seeps through his nose, the warm sunlight washed over his milky white skin. His hair was a bit longer that time, it was blown by the wind messily, and he was a few inches shorter.

 

A few meters ahead of him is another boy, one year younger than him but already passed him by the height. Glorious tan skin glowed under the sun light – he wasn’t wearing any shirt, only the black trousers with the leg being folded messily three times upwards. And he smiles at the view, because at the empty shore, he only needs his existence.

 

The tan skinned boy turned around and waved ever so excitedly at him. He couldn’t really remember the details of the latter’s face, but his feelings tell him that it was the most beautiful thing he had ever seen.

 

Kyungie hyung!!

 

He remembers that he didn’t answer. He just smiled instead. Because sometimes, words aren’t needed when you already appreciate the other’s presence around you.

 

Hyung? Right here! Kyung –

 

“ – soo? Dude, come on, seriously??”

 

“Leave him alone, Baek, it’s his usual time to daydream and drools again.”

 

“But Chanyeol, we should be leaving by now and this fur ball doesn’t even flinch!”

 

“As I said, Baekhyun, it’s his usual time to space out like an idiot and fall asleep after that.”

 

“I heard you.” Kyungsoo murmured before he lifted his head up from the desk and unconsciously wiped the imaginary drool stain at the corner of his lips.

 

Chanyeol bursts into laughter as he watched the latter fixing his baby blue shirt. “I think the desk has become your bed.”

 

“We’re getting late for our next class! Come on, I need to hand over the sheet music to Mr. Yang.” Baekhyun blabbers before he helped Kyungsoo to pack up his things.

 

Forwning, Kyungsoo stood up – stumbling with the chair in process. “Why didn’t you wake me up earlier?”

 

“Oh please,” Baekhyun rolled his eyeballs, “I’ve been trying to make you awake since an hour ago! Ask Channie if you don’t believe it.”

 

“You weren’t moving even a bit. Besides, your sleeping face is too squishy, I have no heart to force you to wake up.” Chanyeol jokingly pressed both his palms on his chest for the dramatization.

 

“Now now, we better start moving.” Baekhyun literally dragged the still half awake Kyungsoo out of the library, with laughing Chanyeol trailing behind them.

 

Somewhere between the third time of him almost tripped on nothing and Baekhyun’s rant about how he’d never let any of them stay awake until late again, Kyungsoo unconsciously think of the very same dream he had dreamed in his short sleep on the library, or the short sleeps before that. It’s quite hard to remember it, because when he wakes up, he couldn’t remember any details of it. He’d just know that he had a dream but he couldn’t really recall what it was about. However, there’s this name, engraved in his heart, that even his tongue could pronounce it so easily without needing his brain to process it first.

 

Jongin-ah..

 

 

 

Kai chuckled in amusement as he watched Kyungsoo and his friends dashed out of the spacious library. He had been watching him sleeping so peacefully, keeping the distance close so he could see the human’s face clearly. No one noticed he’s right there, of course, he’s invisible after all.

 

How did he end up falling in love for the mortal? He distinctly remembers. It was a few months ago when he saw Kyungsoo in the hospital, visiting a cousin, and cried when the said person died. Kai was the one who fetched his cousin. That’s when he watched boy ran out of the room and he followed him dashing to the emergency stairs, sitting on one of the steps. Kai was standing in front of him, confused of how to at least calm the human down.

 

And then, Kyungsoo looked up, his eyes met Kai’s.

 

It was as if Kyungsoo was staring straight into his eyes. Which is completely impossible. Of course Kyungsoo couldn’t see him, but the way those brown orbs gazed into his, it feels like they’re staring into each other, communicating in that way. And ever since that, Kai always followed the boy around if he has the time to do so. He found out that the boy is just as beautiful as he had imagined him to be. The way he talks, the way he smiles, the way his voice trembles in vibration and feelings when he sings. It has become a habit for Kai to sneak out and watch Kyungsoo in his campus.

 

He remembers Suho said how he shouldn’t be abandoning his job, but Kai simply ignored. No one understands the gravity inside Kyungsoo that had pulled him in, the emotion inside him that either Lay or Kris always said as something that angels aren’t supposed to feel. He couldn’t even understand why he could feel that way, how the attachment could grow inside him like that.

 

Sighing towards the library door, he decided to retreat back to the hospital, where he’d be doing his job to fetch souls. Death could happen anywhere, but mostly it’s in a hospital, so many of them decide to stay there. They could always sense death from far, so it won’t be a problem if they stay inside.

 

When he walked out of the library, there’s this little baby girl looking at him with that judging look. Babies and toddlers are those who could see them with eyes. But as much as it’s an amusing fact, he doesn’t really like children. Unlike Lay who would love to spend the entire day playing with those little creature at the hospital, running here and there, laughing with them. He’s not really fond of babies.

 

The baby keeps staring at him, her mother is too busy talking on the phone to realize that her baby daughter is staring into nothing. Kai frowned at the puffy cheeks.

 

“What?”

 

She stares back at Kai as if she’s saying, ‘what do you think you are doing with him, oppa?’

 

“Why, can’t I be around him?” Kai asked in dislike.

 

The baby frowned at him. ‘Just saying, duh.

 

“You’re a kid, you don’t know anything.” Kai scoffed before he took a seat next to the baby’s carrier. The little baby lean out of her carrier to take a proper look.

 

But I know oppa is doing something out of the rules’, she gazed at him, the frown has gone, replaced with a pair of twinkling orbs.

 

Chuckling, Kai ruffles her barely haired head. No matter how much he despise this kind of little fella, he can’t win over the cuteness. “Tsk, just wait until you’re fully conscious and your brain starts to work properly, you won’t be this smart anymore.”

 

The baby flashed a toothless smile. ‘Yeah, it’s .

 

After bidding the adorable baby goodbye – surprisingly Kai could endure being around her – , he disappears into a puff of white grayish smoke. One of the things that repeats again and again.

 

When he arrived at the hospital, Kris is already there in front of the children playroom. Kai wants to ask why he’s just standing still on his spot, but later he found out why. He followed the direction Kris is looking at.

 

There’s Lay sitting next to a baby crib, a bundle of blue inside it sleeps peacefully under the heat of his palm. He rocks the crib gently, soft whisper of lullaby echoes through the room, where all the other kids are sleeping too. Lay’s face is a mixture of adoration and affection. Smiling at the view, Kai glanced at his taller comrade. Kris also had the same look on his face, but it’s not because of the baby, but the angel who’s singing the baby a lullaby.

 

“He really loves children. Or babies. Their kinds.” Kris murmured. “I always asked why, and he’d always answer the same thing; he doesn’t know either and after all it’s a natural thing to do.”

 

Kai nodded slowly. “Maybe he was a baby sitter or a pediatrician in his previous life?”

 

Biting his bottom lip, Kris find himself doesn’t have the answer to that. “I.. don’t think so.” he said. “Not that I know everything in our previous lives except our real names. I don’t know what were working as, or what happened to us, or what exactly we were to each other.” he said as he stared at Lay again. “All I’ve ever found out about is just that we were like best friends, or even more. I don’t even remember my own surename or his. Suho kind of dislike it when we dig about our past too much.”

 

“Hm.” Kai agreed at the last sentence. Of course, it’s always about Suho. That man is like their leader, the one they’d go to if they’re ever confused of something. Maybe it’s just his feelings – which is just the same as everyone’s – , but he just think that maybe Suho knows a lot of things more than they could imagine. Like how everyone became angels, or what happened in their previous lives. And it leads into a conclusion that maybe, just maybe, Suho is holding a lot of secrets they’ve been looking for.

 

“Do you think,” Kris whispered, yet his voice sounds full of hope and emotion, “that me and Yixing were a couple of lovers?”

 

Kai blinked on the question. They might’ve been a couple. Just look at the chemistry they have when they’re next to each other, or how they look into each other’s eyes.

 

“I think you could ask Suho. He’s not that hard to talk to, right?” Kai answered.

 

Speaking of the angel, Kai watched from the corner of his eyes that Suho appeared from a soft poof and walked towards them. Suho’s face is always stoic like that. Never in his existence had he saw Suho smiled freely or laugh. It’s always that tight thin smile, which he couldn’t really count as a friendly gesture. But unlike Kris who naturally has that not-amused face, Suho’s expression is always a mixture of slight frown and teeth being gritted. It’s like he’s always thinking of something all the time.

 

“Hello there.” Suho said.

 

Suddenly Lay appeared between them too. “Hi.”

 

As usual, every second with Suho screams awkwardness and also nervousness.

 

“Can I have a talk with you, Suho?” Kris said out of nowhere. Lay and Kai darted gazes at him, as if they’re saying what the hell you’re doing?!

 

Suho’s eyebrows furrowed slightly. “But I need to talk with Kai.”

 

Silently swallowing an imaginary lump, Kai blinked at the latter. “M-me?”

 

“Yep.” Suho said firmly. “About that mortal thing.”

 

Argh, not again, Kai’s shoulders slump down. “What about him?”

 

Suho made a gesture for Kai to follow him as they walked away from both Kris and Lay. “I believe it’s the ninety fifth time I’m telling you this, but Kai, you won’t go anywhere with that mortal. Still not clear enough?”

 

“Why so sudden? I thought we’d have an unnecessary conversation first before you tell me this.” Kai said casually as he glanced at some human passing them by.

 

“I saw you at the library today.” Suho said. “How you stayed all the time he was sleeping.”

 

“You were there??”

 

“Yes. And don’t make me start about your daily routine with following the boy around. You’re an angel, not a stalker.” he said in a firm tone. “As what I told you before, you shall not waste your time watching a human who don’t even know you’re there. The only moment he knows you’re exists is practically when he’s dead. So?”

 

“That doesn’t mean I have to stop seeing him.”

 

“And seeing him doesn’t mean he’ll see you too.”

 

“Why are you so concerned about this??” Kai stopped on his track, frowning at Suho. “It’s like you despise him so much if we’re able to despise anything. Lay played with human child a lot, Xiumin and Chen also stays in the orphanage to look after the kids there. Why can’t I have someone to look for??”

 

Kai had expected Suho to throw some words back on him, some strong sentences that will shut him up. But the latter pressed his lips into a thin line, his face flashes a conflicted look. It’s as if he’s debating with his own mind.

 

“Just,” Suho whispered, “stop being so attached to that mortal.”

 

He casted a stare of disappointment at Suho. “I can’t believe you.” he hisses before he disappears into another puff of smokes, leaving the air heavy around the latter.

 

There’s an agonizing silence between the three left before Kris took the initiative to step forward, only to stop next to Suho. “I..” Kris mumbled, “how long do you think we could hide everything from him?”

 

“As long as we could. He won’t like it even a bit if he found out.” Suho stated firmly, before he stared back at Kris. “And what were you going to talk with me about?”

 

Kris cleared his throat. “I don’t think it’s a proper time to – “

 

“Say it. Just say it.” Suho said. “I’ll have an answer.”

 

Frowning, Kris casted a look at him. “You will?” he asked. It’s so not Suho to easily give in. The latter is like a box full of secrets. And he surely remembers he didn’t say that he’s going to ask about something to him, he just said he want to have a talk.

 

“Yes. Now what do you want to know?”

 

“I. uhm,” Kris said, clearing his throat once again, “I just want to know more about me and Yi – Lay’s past, that’s all.”

 

Suho exhaled heavily, his eyebrows are furrowed into another frown. He stepped backward and before he decides to just disappear into smokes too, he said it clear for Kris to hear, clear to state his perception.

 

“I’ll tell you what both of you were, after you tell Kai who was there when he died.” he said casually.

 

Kris’s eyes widened in disappointment and disbelief. “But you said you’ll have an answer!”

 

“Well,” Suho shrugged, “that’s my answer.”

 

Poof.

 

__________

 

 

Kyungsoo scans through the music notes and lyrics on the papers in his left hand, right hand holding the juicy ham sandwich he had made this morning. He carefully flipped through the page, not wanting to stain the pearly white paper with the chili sauce from the sandwich. Maybe the paper smells like chili and cheese now, but he’s hungry, and he has to read the notes again if he wants to master it by tomorrow. It’s like drinking water as you dive through the sea, doing a couple things at the same time.

 

Oh no, it’s ‘mi’, how could I remember it as ‘re’?!

 

Well you’re a dummy sometimes.

 

No! I’m not a dummy – how could you say that?!

 

Duh.

 

Meanie.

 

Duh.

 

He’s sitting on a bench under the enormous oak tree, the biggest in the university’s park. There’s almost no one there except of him. And he likes it. It’s a kind of loneliness that he needed sometimes. Being with the noisy Baekhyun and Chanyeol is fun and precious, but sometimes he just want to shut the world out and be left alone with the music sheets, singing his heart out until he had no burden in his heart. His best friends understand that, so when they called him to ask where he is around fifteen minutes ago and he said that he’s reading the assignment in the park, they didn’t ask any further and just told him to go back at the dorm before it’s dark.

 

Busy debating with his own mind, he didn’t bother to look up when he sense a presence not so far from him. After finally deciding that he needs to look up to see who’s there, he tilted his head up. There his eyes meets a pair own brown warm orbs, beautiful face, slender figure with the glorious tan skin glowing under the sunlight. The person is wearing all-black clothes, like, all in black. The shirt, the pants, the coat, even the shoes. All black.

 

There’s this tingling inside his body, sending a wave of electricity his heart. Déjà vu washed down his mind as he takes a proper look at the face. It reminds him of something, and made him thinking something impossible for a second before he shook all the thoughts out of his head.

 

Are you thinking what I’m thinking?

 

No, that’s impossible.

 

Well who said it is.

 

“Uh, hello.” Kyungsoo managed to say.

 

The person blinked, as if he had just snapped from a reverie. He chuckled shyly. “I’m sorry, I must be scaring you.”

 

“No, no,” Kyungsoo immediately shook his head, then his shoulder lifted a bit, “unless you’re.. a stalker, or mafia or something.”

 

Laughing crisply, the person’s eyes scrunched in amusement, resulting crinkles at the corners. “No, I’m not a bad person.” he said as he tried to calm himself down. “Were you thinking like that because of my outfit?”

 

Kyungsoo nodded innocently. “I guess so.”

 

“I’m sorry, I just like black.” the guy said.

 

Sensing the awkwardness, Kyungsoo gestured his hand over the empty space next to him on the bench. “Do you want to sit?”

 

The guy blinks before he moved towards the spot. “Sure.” he said as he plopped his weight down and settle himself into a comfortable position.

 

He’s good looking, isn’t he?

 

Shut up.

 

Introduce your name, dummy.

 

Why are you keep telling –

 

“I’m Kai, by the way.” the guy said before he reaches out a hand towards the latter.

 

Kyungsoo stares at the hand with his owlish eyes as he put down the sandwich on the plastic container, wiping his hand on his pants after that. He needs to blink several times before he grabbed and shook the hand gently, a tiny blush creeps on his cheeks. “Kyungsoo. Do Kyungsoo.”

 

“You have a nice name.” Kai said softly, as if he voiced out his thought too loud.

 

“Uh, thanks.” Kyungsoo said back. “And your name is.. unique. Is it just Kai?”

 

Of course he won’t give you his surename, what kind of dummy who gives their surename to strangers – oh wait, you do.

 

But it was for the sake of being polite! And don’t you dare to call me dummy again!!

 

But I am you, so literally you’re calling yourself a dummy. Aren’t I just right, dummy?

 

Urgh I hate you.

 

Oh you’re hating yourself now?

 

That’s clearly not what I mean!

 

“Kimura.” the guy said. “Yeah, my name is Kimura Kai.”

 

Kyungsoo gasped quietly. “You’re Japanese?? But your Korean is so good, whoa!”

 

“Uh, yeah.” Kai said, almost seems awkward. “I.. spend my time in Korea a lot.”

 

“And no wonder why your name sounds unique!” Kyungsoo chirped, before he cupped his mouth with his free hand in embarrassment. “I’m sorry, sometimes I get excited out of nowhere.”

 

Excellent way to embarrass yourself. I’m proud of you, seriously.

 

You’re unbelievable.

 

Kai lets out a chirpy laugh before he calmed himself down again. “So, what are you doing here?” he asked as he scooted closer by an inch.

 

Kyungsoo lifts up his left hand, where the papers are gripped in the curl of his fingers. “Studying a music sheet. My assignment for tomorrow.”

 

Nodding slowly, Kai stared at the music notes and words. “Cool.” he murmured sincerely.

 

“And you?” Kyungsoo said before he slipped the papers into his navy blue backpack. “What are you doing here? I mean, well, I’m usually the only one to stay here in this kind of hour.”

 

There’s a comfortable silence before Kai answered the question. “Just trying to spend my time in somewhere nice.”

 

Unknowingly, a soft smile made its way to creeps on Kyungsoo’s plump lips. “Yeah, this place is nice.” he said as he pointed over the sky. “From this spot, you’ll have the best view of sun setting down,” he said again as he gestured over the trees around them with his both hands, “and it’s like the green leaves from those trees framed it like a painting. Don’t you think so?” he beamed.

 

Kai spend a whole minute staring at the sky, getting what the latter means. He leaned back, sighing in awe over the lilac and yellowish stains on the sky, before he glanced at Kyungsoo. “You’re right.” he said before he murmured in a hushed voice, “and I like the way you see things.”

 

He didn’t realize his eyes are widening into a complete pair of perfect huge circle as he stares at Kai and digest the words into his head. “You.. do?”

 

A soft yet warm smile painted on Kai’s lips. “I do.”

 

Uh oh, someone’s kokoro is going to dugeun dugeun hard ~

 

S-shut up!!

 

“I actually like to see the sun sets too, but I love to watch it on a beach.” Kai said as he looks up at the sky again. “You’ll have a complete and beautiful view from there. Not to mention how the sound of waves crashing to each other soothes your mind. I just..” he paused, “.. think so.”

 

Despite his madly beating heart, Kyungsoo flashes a bitter smile. He bite his bottom lips as he looks up too, mirroring the latter’s expression. “Yeah. I know.”

 

Kai glanced at him once more. “Do you like beaches?”

 

“I.. liked it.” Kyungsoo mumbled.

 

“Liked? Now you don’t?”

 

“It’s not that I don’t like beach, I mean, I use to love it so much, spending my time there. But well,” Kyungsoo’s voice trailed off, “something happened that I don’t really go to beaches anymore.”

 

There’s this look of regret and guilt in Kai’s eyes that makes him want to chuckle. “I’m sorry, Kyungsoo, sorry for asking.”

 

“No no, it’s fine. It’s just me being a weirdo.” Kyungsoo grinned at him.

 

They fell into another comfortable silence again when suddenly Kai jolted up from his seat. “I need to go now, I’m so sorry. And you should go back to your dorm too.” he said.

 

Kyungsoo blinked in confusion. “Oh, okay.” he nodded before he stood up too. “So, uh, will I see you here again tomorrow? Or next time?”

 

Oow, someone’s being bold today huh ~

 

How I wish I could rip you off my head.

 

No you couldn’t, otherwise you won’t be able to think and live ~

 

I freaking know.

 

“Yes. You will.” Kai’s smile is something he couldn’t extract to details. It’s like, a shy one, but also a confident one, and maybe some tint of happiness, and relief, but also some uncertainty and fear. Kyungsoo never know a smile could hold such a lot of meanings at the same time. It’s like trying to comprehend Monalisa.

 

Kai waved at him, and he waved back in respond, still in his trance. But a second after, he called again.

 

“How do you know I live in a dormitory??”

 

Turning back, Kai’s expression is quite unreadable. “Uh,” Kai said, “I’m a mind reader..?”

 

Kyungsoo almost believe it if only Kai didn’t laugh and pointed at his navy blue backpack. “SM Art Academy, right? I thought every student there lives in dormitory.”

 

“Aah, right.” Kyungsoo grinned sheepishly. “Well, see you next time, Kai!”

 

Watching Kai walks further than where he’s standing, Kyungsoo feels a bit lonely out of nowhere, and a wave of déjà vu strikes once again. It’s as if he had ever experienced it, someone walking away from him, someone getting further. But he couldn’t pinpoint it exactly. So he just shrugged it off and starts to heads towards the way to the dormitory.

 

Uhm, Kyung?

 

Yeah Soo?

 

I’m sorry for saying this, but I think he reminds me – us – of Jongin a lot, doesn’t he?

 

… yeah, I think he is. But I couldn’t really tell. I couldn’t really remember Jongin’s face anymore, I guess.

 

Well you packed all his photographs and sent the box to the waves, no wonder why you couldn’t remember him well anymore.

 

I just think everything of him belongs to the seas when he’s gone.

 

Yeah, I agree Kyung. And hey, wouldn’t it be epic if somehow a unicorn actually appeared and made Jongin alive again? Pfft.

 

Well I’ll be wailing on the street if it really happens.

 

Pfft, it really sounds like you.

 

Yeah, I know right?

 

And Kyung, wipe your tears please?

 

... eh?

 

You wouldn’t want anyone to think you’re in mental ill for crying out of nowhere, right?

 

Oh, ah, sorry. I didn’t realize I.. I..

 

Ssh, Kyung, please don’t cry anymore. Jongin won’t like it, don’t you think?

 

Yeah.. t-thanks, Soo.

 

__________

 

 

 

 

 

Whoa, this story is progressing pretty fast huh.

 

Confused? Hell yeah me too ppfffttt ~

 

Pretty long for me, actually. But I think I’m satisfied with this chapter ehehehe.

 

Please kindly comment!! <3 Or even subscribe <3