1 Above Sea Level

Mermaid's Tears (인어의 눈물)

Mornings are always the hardest. Every day she woke up in a panic, wondering where the hell she was. It’s a big change from water to land. It’s not quite that she missed it – her parents had died years ago and to call her aunt, who had acted as her “primary care giver” for some time now, an evil would be somewhat of an understatement. To put it lightly, Shin Hyebin would rather be living in this hell hole than back home. No, by hell hole I don’t mean land (though, in Hyebin’s eyes it was pretty…how should I put it? interesting up here). By hell hole I mean this abandoned building she’d been living in for months. As far as shelters go, it was pretty stable, yes. Not to mention convenient since it was located on school campus. But why had she chosen to live in the school’s abandoned former sports and home-ec building? Because #1 she had nowhere else to go – it’s not like mermaids usually have relatives who they can crash with up here and #2 nobody had found her there yet…not even a student or janitor. And for the time being she could only hope it would stay that way.

It was the third time this week that Hyebin had cut class. Fortunately enough, teachers didn’t usually notice.  Maybe it’s because she usually subtly crept out the door after roll had been called. It was more likely, however, that teachers were simply unaware of her presence in the first place, seeing as she was a transfer student. Frankly speaking, Hyebin hadn’t been at the school long enough to acquire any kind of reputation (good or bad). . There he is again! Hyebin wouldn’t have even looked up from absentminded daydreaming if she hadn’t seen his figure briefly flash by her dusty window. . Why can’t he just find his own place. This is MY territory!!! Property of Shin Hyebin (via appropriation…but still)!! As if living here wasn’t hard enough. He just has to waltz in and make my life more difficult. Big bird here was the only person who had come close to figuring her out. That was because he’s a stupid rebel who cuts class and always wanders into her territory. Ok, maybe that’s just a little bit hypocritical…but at least Hyebin had a good reason to skip. She’s a mermaid, alright? That trumps anything. Yes, she called him big bird because he’s so damn tall and has stupid delinquent yellow hair. Also, because she didn’t know his name. Today he doesn’t look like he was planning on backing down. He’d never actually come inside (doofus probably thinks its haunted or something), but today he was venturing a little closer than usual..too close for comfort.

“Oh. my. god.” Hyebin whispered to herself as she slid close against the wall so as not to be seen. Kris was right outside the window, hands pressed against the weathered glass, peering in. Hyebin didn’t dare breathe as she shut her eyes tightly and covered with a firmly clasped fist. She couldn’t be seen. She couldn’t go back to her evil aunt’s house. She simply wouldn’t. She’d rather be homeless and living under a bridge. Damnit what is this stupid big bird even thinking right now!?

            As quickly as he had appeared he was gone. Hyebin crept lithely to the window only to see Kris’s back turned. Now just go back to wherever you came from you annoying giant! Hyebin mentally pleaded. Go on now! Sighing in relief, she watched as he began to retreat. “God,” She whispered “that was close. At least I made it out alive this time…” But Hyebin had spoken too soon, because just as she was about to return to daydreaming, a loud crash erupted from beneath her feet. “!”

Hyebin had never been a super clumsy person, but she couldn’t help but feel she may have just surpassed even the clumsiest person in the world with this one. Why the hell didn’t I remember that I left that bucket in that exact spot under the leaky roof!? I may have just cost myself my “home” and I have nobody to blame but myself (well, and maybe big bird over there). He hadn’t moved for a few minutes so she thought that there was an ever-so-small chance that he hadn’t seen her. But that dream vanished when he turned and trudged with purpose right over to the door. ! Why didn’t I buy a lock? Better yet, why doesn’t that dummy have better manners than to barge into other people’s homes!? Before she knew it she was standing face to face (well, more like face to chest if you want to get technical …but it’s not my fault this creep is so damn tall) with the guy who would probably single handedly destroy everything she had worked for for years. His eyebrows were furrowed and he looked as if Hyebin were the one who had just broken into his home.

            “What the hell are you doing here?” his voice was deeper than Hyebin had expected and she unintentionally recoiled at the sound of it. Moments before she was ready to tear into his …but now he was just confusing her. What am I doing here? This is my house, buddy! What are you doing here? The words caught in Hyebin’s throat and, as if she had swallowed too much water at once, she choked them back painfully.

            “I knew somebody was hiding out here. You’re following me, aren’t you?” Kris’s words drifted out into the thick silence and hung in the space between them before they were joined by Hyebin’s.

            “What?...Why the hell would I do that!?” she spat, clenching her fists in an obvious way so that they would be seen. Kris rolled his eyes. Why couldn’t people just leave him alone?

            “When will you girls realize that stalking isn’t an attractive trait?”

            Even though it was the middle of the afternoon, the room was dim and Hyebin could barely see the boy standing just a few feet in front of her. Tentatively leaking in from the single dust crusted window, sunlight speckled the floor of the dark, open space in which Hyebin had spent the past few months. Yes, months. Yet, now that another person was in the room for the first time since she had moved there she realized how dark and lonely it really was. The room was about the size of four classrooms put together. Hyebin only occupied a small corner of the room and the rest was filled solely with empty darkness.

            “What the hell are you talking about?” Hyebin snapped and Kris cringed at the venom in her tone. He’d been through this numerous times but this was definitely new.

            “I’m talking about the fact that you’re following me around right now.”

            “And what makes you think I would have any interest in following an airhead like you around?”

            “Because I’m popular,” Kris stated in a placid tone as if he hadn’t just spoken like a completely arrogant prick. “Isn’t that why you all do it?” his lips contorted into a half proud half cynical smirk.

            “I’m sorry to dampen your ego but I live here,” Hyebin smiled suavely while focusing on her nails. Kris stared blankly at her for several moments until she raised her eyes to meet his. She saw his eyes change from confused to entertained as if she had just told him a good joke he hadn’t heard before. Hyebin just cocked her head to the side because she honestly didn’t understand why it was hard to believe that she was living in a rundown school building.

            “Yeah right,” Kris scoffed.

            “What the hell!?” this really got Hyebin going. This guy had been steadily climbing up on her blacklist these past few months and now he was really beginning to push it. “‘Yeah right?’ What is it that you want from me? Don’t you know it’s bad manners to barge into somebody else’s house and then to have the gall to question their integrity?” Hyebin motioned behind her and it was then that Kris noticed the makeshift “home” that was set up in the dank space just beyond where they were standing. A futon was set up on the floor and a spare uniform was hanging to dry on the extended handle of a rolling suitcase. A portable stove lying next to the futon was stacked high with a pot and several teacups.

            “You call that a home? What…are you a fugitive or something” Kris chuckled. Hyebin attacked him with her most intimidating glare but he didn’t even flinch. “Fugitive or not it’s not my fault if you decided to hide out on school property. I have just as much right to this place as you!” Arms crossed, Kris glared in Hyebin’s direction. in a sharp intake of breath, Hyebin was just about to blow up again when, suddenly, the veracity of his words hit her square on. None of this was “real.” It wasn’t a real home, she hadn’t had a real meal in weeks, and she hadn’t talked to a real friend since she ran away. When it came down to it none of this was going to last, no matter how much she wanted it to. He was going to tell. And if he didn’t, it was just a matter of time before somebody else found her (and surely they would). Kris’s eyes softened an imperceptible amount and his shoulders relaxed. “Anyway. Whether you stay here or not really makes no difference to me.” Kris cleared his throat and looked away. Hyebin looked up at him. She could barely make out his sharp features which were illuminated ever so slightly by the soft afternoon light that trailed in from outside. He wasn’t going to tell? “Just don’t tell anybody I skipped class, ok?” there was an almost unnoticeable vulnerability in his voice but Hyebin picked up on it. Why should I care? Hyebin thought. If he’s not telling on me I have no reason to tell on him… But just then Hyebin remembered the way his voice quivered slightly when he made his request. A fire lit in Hyebin’s eyes as she dropped the bomb.

            “Why shouldn’t I tell…that is unless you do something for me,” Hyebin didn’t even know who she was supposed to tell, but she just went with it.

            “What are you talking about?” fury flickered in his eyes “I’m not telling on you! One word from me and you’d be kicked out of here!”

            “So?” Hyebin smirked and Kris just stared at her in disbelief. “Why should I care if you tell on me? I don’t have any family to get in trouble with and I can find a new place to crash in no time. Besides, I’m not popular like you claim to be so I obviously have no public image to uphold.” Hyebin had always been good at lying but she couldn’t ignore the churning feeling in her stomach. What if this doesn’t go as planned!? Face twisting into a sour expression of defeat, Kris sighed.

            “Fine. What do you want?” He had given up. Hyebin’s brief, mischievous smile betrayed the feeling of accomplishment that shot through her.  

            “I won’t tell” she looked up to meet his eyes once more “If you help me stay hidden.”