The Realization

My Not-so-Happy Valentine's Day

 

-Yamada’s Point of View-

 

It’s too hard to believe that because of me, Mari-chan cried… I want to comfort her but I don’t know how. Making two girls cry today, I totally deserve to be beaten up. Suddenly the weeping girl stopped. I looked at her, I think it’s time I explain my part to her, but can I tell the whole truth to her?

 

“Yama-chan, let me ask you a few questions…” she said wiping her tears.

 

I just nodded as a response.

 

“Do you love Hisa ?” she started.

 

I don’t know if I should answer her but I nodded.

 

“Then, what’s holding you back?” she asked calmly.

 

“An-nou…” I don’t know if I should tell her this but I guess I don’t have a choice.

“Hai?” she said.

 

“Chii…” The only word that came out of my mouth.

 

“What about him?” she asked.

 

“I don’t want to take away Chii’s girl. He’s my brother, not biologically, but that’s what he is to me.” I answered.

 

“Chii’s girl? How can you say Hisa is Chii’s girl?”

 

“Chii likes him…”

 

“So you’ve notice? I guess Hisa ’s the only one who didn’t notice it…”

 

“Yeah, I guess so…”

 

“Yama-chan, why do you think Hisa didn’t notice the obvious fact that Chii likes her?”

 

“Anou…Because she thinks of him as a little brother…?”

 

“Maybe… but you see, Yama-chan… Hisa isn’t in love with Chii, she loves you… He didn’t notice Chii’s gestures because she can only see you…only you…”

 

I was stunned with what she said…

 

“She fell for you, why are you not there to catch her?” she continued.

 

Suddenly…

 

“Tadaima!” Ryo’s mother and sisters already came back.

 

“Okaeri!” said the two. But they both looked aghast.

 

“Did we surprise you?” Ryo’s okaasan asked.

 

“Ah..Ie, ie…” they were totally in sync in covering things up.

 

“Mom, I think I’ll be leaving first…need…t-to…go…somewhere…” I said and I was stuttering and I don’t know why. “Entertain Mari-chan for me! Ittekimasu!” Just like that, and I left home.

 

I went to the nearby playground. I think I need some more fresh air and I need to clear my thoughts. Mixed feelings and lots of questions are arising in me now. I seriously need lots of time to think straight. Evaluating things more would be good. Five things are swirling around my head at this moment. First, I seriously love Hisa . Second, she loves me, too. Third, I can’t return her feelings because Chinen likes her, too. Fourth, Maria made Hisa confess to me, and she completely thinks that we should be together. Fifth, I don’t really know what to do right now…Ugghh…This is driving me insane. Is my decision to choose friendship over love correct?

 

 

My thoughts were suddenly interrupted upon hearing noises coming from behind the bushes. Being a curious one, I walked slowly towards my destination to not scare away whatever it was. As I grew nearer, my heartbeat was accelerating for an unknown reason. Gasps!

 

“Mmmmmnnn… Ri-chan, you’re a really really good kisser, did you know that?” A tiny squeaky voice is what I heard.

 

“Of course, I know that. You’ve told me that since our first kiss. Haha” I can’t believe it! It was Chii-chan’s voice! I went further into the bush to see if what I’m hearing is real. And YES it was real. Chinen was lip-locking with what look like an older girl.

 

Aaaah! I lost my balance and stumbled upon a rock. And there I was in front of them. Curse you, unknown rock!

 

As expected, both girl and boy immediately seized what they were doing and went near me.

 

“Yama-chan?” Chii-chan asked, surprise noticeable in his voice.

 

“Ummmmm…I….I….” I started stuttering. What the hell is wrong with me today?

 

“Oh! Ah! Yama-chan, this is Chiyo-chan, my girlfriend.” He immediately said as he pulled the girl closer to him. He was blushing hard.

 

“What? Who? When? How?” I was clearly confused so I started blabbering those questions. My head is swirling.

 

“Konnichiwa! Ichijo Chiyo desu! Yoroshiku onegai shimasu!” The petite girl, who was in Chinen’s embrace, said bowing.

 

“Ne, Yamada…”

 

“Ie…There’s no need to introduce yourself, Yamada-san!” The pretty girl cutted me off and smiled. She’s really beautiful, Chinen made a good choice.

 

“Yoroshiku onegai shimasu!” I said and bowed, mirroring her previous action, then I shot Chinen a questioning glance.

 

“I…Yama-chan, can you not tell the others about this, about her, about us, yet?” Chinen said looking at me straight in the eyes.

 

“I’ll tell them myself soon but not now, please?” He added. I don’t know why he’s doing this but he must have a good reason so I just nodded.

 

“O…okay…but how?” I think my question came out wrong, it should’ve been ‘why’ not ‘how’.

 

“I met her a few weeks ago here in this playground when I was, you know, sad about what Hisa-chan told me.”

 

Oh…that explains…but…

 

“She comforted me, then, and we kinda hit it off, so later on, I asked her to be my girlfriend and she accepted.” He continued, happiness clearly visible on his face. Same with Chiyo-san's. I can see that they truly are in love with each other. Wait a minute…

 

“So you don’t like Hisa-chan anymore?” I asked the question like it was merely a common reflex action. I think I shouldn’t have said that out loud.

 

“No, I still like Hisa-chan , of course, but just not THAT way, more of like a sister. I have someone else I like THAT way now, you know. ” He said then smiled at Chiyo.

 

“OH….” I nodded understanding. Wait, does this solve my problems?

 

“Yama-chan, did you, by any chance, rejected her a while ago because of me?” He said looking at me with eyes like he’s examining me. But how on earth did he…? Was it that obvious now?

 

“That explains…But Yama-chan, I’m not regretting the fact that I punched you in the face this morning. You know, I just wanted to knock some sense into that brain of yours!” He chuckled and Chiyo gasps.

 

“You did what? What happened? Why didn’t you tell me?” Chiyo asked.

 

Chinen mouthed an “I’ll tell you later” to her.

 

“So….you…I…that punch…”

 

“Yama-chan, I think you should head home and get some sleep. Maybe your mind will clear a bit.” Chinen said patting my back.

 

“Oh…okay…” I said turning away from them and heading home.

 

Before I could totally get out of the playground, I looked back. He was still there with Chiyo-san.

 

“Chinen!” I called out. “Thanks a lot!” I shouted.

 

“I know you’ll take good care of Chiyo-san. Bye!” I waved goodbye to the two of them and headed home.

 

~**~~**~~**~~**~

another update! I think that the next chapter I'll post will be the last one so stay tuned!

And as always,  thanks for reading!!! And please do comment! ^^