Game On

It is Not Called Soccer !

Note before you read - I've used Sj's english names in here a bit, though I think I've made it quite obivous who is who if you are not familiar with them.


 

The last thing Hyukjae wanted was to be sent to an all boys private school.  His parents had insisted it; girls were too much of a distraction for the growing teen.  Hyukjae tried to argue that despite his past 5 failed ex girl friends hadn’t affected his grades that much.  But a B- on a report was a fail in any Asian parents eyes even if it was in english.

“But mum you didn’t even choose a school with a good football team!” Hyukjae groaned in the car for what must have been the umpteenth time.

“I asked the principle! They said they had a good football team!” His mum garbled at him in Korean whilst piling more rice into his bowl.

“He obviously meant AFL mum, Australian Football, you know the game which has no thought process and no rules! Mum I play what they call soccer.”

“Hyukjae, you can’t say that! Australians will get offended!”  His mum squealed her voice going up a few registers.

“Don’t worry mum my visa won’t be revoked simply because I dislike their form of football.” Hyukjae rolled his eyes whilst trying to adjust his top button so he could be comfortable (why were the top buttons on shirts always out to strangle him?).

“It won’t?”  Hyukjae’s mum blinked. “How come the people at the office said they’ll send the drop bears after me when I said it?”  Hyukjae face palmed she hadn’t caught on about the damned drop bears yet?

“No mum, now don’t we need to go? So you can take me to this stupid private all boys boring as hell school?”

“Hyukjae this would be good for your grades.”  Hyukjae rolled his eyes.  Sure it would be most Australian guys didn’t even bother studying, what’s wrong with trying to fit in?

“Whatever I’m Korean and girls are go crazy over Korean guys these days, won’t be long till you’ll be meeting my next girlfriend.” Eunhyuk snickered causing his mum to merely shake her head in exasperation.

 

Hyukjae stood in front of the team sign up sheets, it was no surprise that all the sheets were filled up for various teams.  This was Australia, the place where if you were good at sport you were practically a God.  When he finally found the soccer sign up sheet, (which was under the sign up sheets for cricket of all things) he triumphantly put his name down, though he did notice the lack of names on the sheet.

“Well, welcome to the nerd club, my name is Marcus Cho the current president.”  A voice said from beside him, causing Hyukjae to nearly stack it (his feet weren’t on the most stable of surfaces, 3 blocks of shoe lifts might have not been the best idea).

“Huh?” Hyukjae said unable to say anything to the strikingly pale Asian boy with messy bed hair.

“This is Melbourne, people don’t play soccer here, but makes sense you must be new.” The boy smirked.

“So what? I’m a football player.” Hyukjae said. “Where I come from it’s the best sport in the world.”

“Soccer.” The other male corrected in a snobbish manner.

“What?”

“They call it soccer here, what type of rock have you been living under?”

“I’m sorry internationally it’s called football.  AFL is a pointless stupid game with no rules” Hyukjae insisted.

“Hey it’s not me it’s them.” The boy with the messy hair, yawning tiredly.  “Aiden is already one of them so don’t even think of tapping that, it’s not worth it.”

“Aiden?” Hyukjae asked curiously, deciding to tackle the easier part of the statement first before tackling the more dangerous of the two.  Did that guy honestly think he was gay?

“You really are new here, Aiden is like the school hero ex soccer or football player, whatever you want to call it, has gone to the dark side.”

“Why are you telling me this?”

“I don’t know I think my boyfriend is tending to the turtle aquarium and asked me to sign him up for the soccer team.”  Hyukjae raised an eyebrow boyfriend?

“Well I call it Football I don’t honestly care what the rest of you call it.”

“Whatever floats your boat, see you around Spencer.”

“Wait a sec what do you mean by don’t even think of tapping that.”

“Well it’s obvious your gay.”

“Excuse me?”

“Sprouting rainbows than a nyan cat, straight as one of those rubber rulers or even that you simply like , whatever you want to call it. G.A.Y.”

“Yeah, I’m not gay.” 

“Have a girl friend?”

“No but I had 5 last year-“

“My, my you must be daft, ever wondered why they dumped you?”

“They dumped me?  More like I dumped them.”

“Sure sure, whatever keeps you and your platinum blonde died hair happy, I have one hell of a mean Gaydar Spencer.  Though, as amusing as it is to see you question your uality I must be off, my boyfriend must be missing my philtrum by now.”  With that the boy was off, walking down the corridors of the school, staring at his hand held console.  Hyukjae certainly did not hope to see him around or his seemingly creepy turtle obsessed boyfriend.

 

First period and Hyukjae found himself sighing over lack of girls.  Really, this was like a personal hell for him.  There was no one to feed his ego and compliment his fantastic choice in hair color.  Instead there was just a bunch of loud western boys all in the same bland uniform. 

“This seat taken?”  Hyukjae looked up to see a boy he blinked a little taken back.  The boy asking for his seat was one of the best-looking boys he’d ever seen.  He had nicely tanned skin, a blinding smile and incredibly good bone structure.

“Hello?” The boy waved a hand in front of Hyukjae’s face.

“Hi.” Hyukjae said awkwardly, mentally cursing at himself the lack of s must have already been getting to him.

“What’s your name?” The guy asked while taking a water bottle out to sip at it.  Hyukjae watched as the boy gulped down water, watching his prominent Adams apple.

“Spenser” Hyukjae said in a daze watching as the boys Adam’s apple moved as he took a sip of water. 

“Pffft.” The boy sprayed water all over him.

“Geeze thanks, great first impression to make with a seat mate.” Hyukjae grumbled trying to sound annoyed, but he couldn’t bring himself to be truly annoyed with  this angel like boy that had appeared before him.

“I’m so very sorry. I was just shocked at your name who gave you that stupid name?”

“My English teacher back in Korea!”  Hyukjae grumbled not liking the way everyone was mocking his English name but the boy laughed his head off. “I didn’t realize it was lame at the time.”

“You’re from Korea as well?” The gorgeous boy gasped. “I am too! My name is Aiden nice to meet you.  My Korean name is Donghae by the way.” Hyukjae gasped in shock as he was granted by the most dazzling smile he’d ever seen.  What planet was this boy from?   However as soon as he thought that he tried to think very hard about how hot the members of Sistar were.  Give it to me baby, give it to me Hyukjae thought desperately, before his brain naturally imagined Donghae dancing to it.  Wow, maybe he was gay.

“My Korean name is Hyukjae.”

“Hyukjae- I like that! From now on your Hyukkie!”

“What Hyukkie? How-”  He didn’t even have time to protest the nickname.  As class promptly started, he was so engrossed in the station he didn’t even notice the balding teacher wearing Haiwan board shorts waltz his way into class; not that class beginning didn’t stop him looking at his gorgeous seatmate.  He had no idea what had come over him as he constantly snuck a look at his seat partner.  He was fascinating, the way his brows crinkled together when he tried to concentrate, the was his eyes would light up when he understood a concept the teacher was explaining ad the pout he would display when he didn’t get it.   Maybe that Marcus Cho kid, whatever his name was right.  Maybe he did swing that way.

Only for Donghae though, those Sistar girls still looked very appealing in his mind.

“That was an interesting economics class wasn’t it Hyukjae! You must be smart you didn’t take that many notes.”  Donghae smiled brightly.

“Not really, don’t learn that way.”  Hyukjae lied in his head though he knew the real reason, he was too busy staring at a certain classmate. 

“Well, what do you have now?”

“English?”

“I do too! Let’s go.” He jumped excitedly nearly skipping out of the room. 

 

That recess Hyukjae was dragged by Donghae down the bustling corridor to the boys favorite lunch spot.

“I want you to meet my friends Hyukkie!”

“Umm.. you don’t have to call me that.”

“You don’t like your nickname Hyukkie?” Donghae pouted.

“N-n-no it’s not that.” Hyukjae stuttered now not even having the gall to tell him he didn’t.  

“Great! This way!”   Hyukjae found himself being dragged to a small pond on the other side of the school. Where two boys sat one of whom he knew too well. 

“Look you two ! look who I found he is also Korean how call is that!” Donghae said his voice filled with excitement.

“Donghae, Spencer here has already been found by yours truly.”  Marcus chuckled.

“Kyuhyun don’t be mean! I reckon he’s cool.”  Hyukjae felt a little proud of that Donghae thought he was cool.

“Really Donghae, anyone called Spenser is bound for a future of lameness.”

“Then call him by his Korean name it’s much nicer, it’s Hyukjae.”

“Well hi Hyukjae.”  Marcus said. “I told you we’d meet again.” 

“Kyuhyun don’t freak out the new kid.” The other boy grumbled.

“This is Yesung, everyone here calls him Jereome but I think Yesung is nicer.”  Donghae said introducing the grumbling one.  Hyukjae looked at the other boy more closely, he had a standoffish appearance about him and sharp eyes that no one could deny were a little scary.  He also noted that the boy was wearing guyliner, not that he didn’t mind at all, he was quite a fan of the ovary killing tool he looked pretty y with it on.  He wasn’t even being cocky when he thought that, he did look y with guyliner, maybe if he wore some Donghae would be impressed?

“Donghae why are you even here I thought you would be hanging out with your football friends.” Kyuhyun asked genuinely interested.

“You play football ! I do too!” Eunhyuk said excited.
“Really your joining the team!! That’s awesome, I won’t feel so out of place!” Donghae smiled brightly.

“Not that type of football type of football either of you is thinking.  Hyukjae is a nerd and plays soccer, Donghae is a jock and plays AFL.” Kyuhyun laughed.

“You call soccer football?” Doinghae scrunched up his nose.

“What’s wrong with that? It’s not called the soccer world cup it’s the football world cup.”

“”Don’t even get into this fight.” Kyuhyun grinned.  “As much as I enjoy the between the two of you.”

“Whatever, I’m going to be all alone on the football team this year again.” Donghae pouted.

“Well it’s your fault for playing football, you could always play soccer like you used to Donghae.”

“But AFL is fun.” He pouted.  “It’s fun to tackle people.”

“You only like it cause you get to feel up guys.” Kyuhyun chortled causing Donghae to blush beet red.

“N-n-no that’s not the case ! Stop teasing me~ Yesung tell your boyfriend to be nice.”

“The turtles are getting along well today.” Yesung said staring at the pond.

“Kyuhyun don’t be mean to Donghae if he likes that sport he’s welcome to it.” Hyukjae said feeling a little manly in the way he was defending Donghae.

“That sport now, what did you call it again this morning,” Kyuhyun feigned deep thought before replying, “That’s right, a pointless stupid game with no rules.”  Kyuhyun.  At that Donghae stood up obviously offended.

“You just don’t like football cause you can’t play it.”  Donghae sulked before stomping off.  Hyukjae was in half a mind to run after him and apologize profusely. 

“I wouldn’t run after him if I were you he is still upset and it might not look it but that lil shrimp is strong.  He is not afraid to bite too when he’s upset.”

“Right.” Hyukjae said, noting that Kyuhyun was not even bothering to listen to a reply as he had grabbed out his laptop and started tapping away at it. “What on earth are you playing?”

“Star Craft ~ Korea’s true national sport.”  Hyukjae rolled his eyes, this school kept getting better and better.  He found out within the space of the first two periods  that he was potentially bi and his object of affection was already pissed off at him.

 

Hyukjae had always been good at sport, more than good he always excelled.  He was just naturally agile and athletic.  So sport was always his favorite class at school.  Well, it used to be before he came to this dreaded school, which should belong in hell, where nearly everyone was gifted at sport.

“Today class.” There teacher with an extremely gruffy beard, we are going to learn International football.”

“Soccer? You mean that prissy weaklings sport.” An obnoxiously loud and freakishly tall guy laughed.

“No Trent, International Rules Football is a combination of Gaelic Football and AFL.”  Hyukjae wanted to just call up in a ball and die.  Anything to do with AFL, apart from Donghae of course, made him cringe.  Soon he found himself drop kicking a soccer ball to Yesung (whom lacked no sense of coordination to catch it).  He looked over to Kyuhyun and Donghae the shorter of the pair (obviously Donghae, he really should introduce the boy to the wonders of shoe lifts) was getting equally annoyed with Kyuhyun’s apparent lack of interest.

“How about we switch?” Hyukjae encouraged the grumbling boy, hoping somehow he didn’t hate him anymore.

“I’m angry at you though.” Donghae glared at him, well tried too the glare was so cute that it made Hyukjae want to shrink him and put him in his pocket.

“I’m sorry, I just don’t like AFL that much? I promise in front of you I won’t insult it.”

“Fine, Kyuhyun go and try and kick the ball to Yesung.” Hyukjae said.  “I’m going to do this with Donghae.”   As soon as he did though Yesung had promptly knocked out said boyfriend with a soccer ball.  What a lovely clumsy couple they made Hyukjae couldn’t help to think.

“This is annoying the trajectory is all off, you don’t seem to be having much trouble though.” Donghae pouted kicking the ball to Hyukjae.

“Well I guess it is cause don’t play with an oval ball.” Hyukjae said catching Donghae’s kick.  Wanting to show off a little he did a small ball trick dropping the ball onto his knee, jutting it up and rolled it across the width of his arms before dropping it onto his foot in one fluid motion.

“Wow that’s so cool Hyuk! Where did you learn that!”  Donghae squealed.

“I’m a real football player.” Hyukjae winked. “It’s not too hard.”

“Man you’re a cocky git.”

“But you like it.”

“I might do.”  Hyukjae came to the conclusion that maybe sport wasn’t so bad after all.

 

Hyukjae didn’t want to admit it but this International Rules game was growing on him.  He was enjoying learning all the tricks and different techniques but most of all he loved learning them with Donghae.  The sweet boy was nearly as gifted as him athletically but he was good.  Plus he had really nice arms and Hyukjae took joy in tackling him to the ground during practice.  He swore that while they wrestled on the ground he heard Kyuhyun mumble “Ah young love~” not that he cared.  He kind of wanted it this way. Today he was extra excited, today they’d be playing his first game of international Rules football in class. 

“I can’t wait.” Hyukjae said. “Kyuhyun you don’t have your uniform?”

“I’m sick.”  Kyuhyun coughed dramtically causing Hyukjae rolled his eyes. 

“Ready Yesung to show them what soccer players can do?”

“I, I think I might sit this one out, my butterfly is not feeling to well.” Yesung said staring at his bug catcher net in confusion.  It wasn’t long before Hyukjae realized just why they sat this out.  Within two seconds of the game he found himself head first in the ground with a couple of huge blokes on top of him.

“Puny soccer player.” One particularly troll like male said. 

“You okay Hyukjae?” Donghae pouted.”

“I’m – fine.” Hyukjae grumbled hoping that the grass hadn’t made a big impact on his bb cream. 

“Be careful your not that bulky, the guys here aren’t nice with their tackles.”  Donghae said as they lined up for another centre bounce.

“And you are?”

“Well they like me, cause I’m on the football team.”  He shrugged.  But no they didn’t stop tackling him in the most horrendous manners possible. The endless stream of teasing how he preferred to dribble the ball down the center of the ground instead of picking it up wouldn’t stop.  By the end of the game Hyukjae was pretty sure his platinum blonde hair must be green from grass stains.

“Hope that teaches you to hang out with people out of your legue.”  The troll look alike snickered.

“You think I care I hang out with Donghae cause he’s my friend.”

“Yeah right you loser you just want his popularity.”

“I can beat any of you AFL players at this game any day I’m just getting used to the rules.” Hyukjae growled.

“Really now? How about this you get best player on ground in 2 weeks and I might change my mind.  Until then you go near Donghae I’ll consider him as one of you nerds.”  Hyukjae did definetly not want to look like a loser in front of Donghae, his shorter classmate was special to him.  He had to admit to himself by that point he was more than a little gay for him. 

“Fine I do that.  If I get that title though you all have to call Soccer football.”

“Deal, not like that’s going to happen anyway.” The troll laughed walking off to the change rooms.

 

“Don’t listen to him Hyukjae, he wouldn’t do that I’m the best scoring player on the team.  I’m so short I just run under there legs.” Donghae smiled.

“Donghae, I don’t want to risk it, I don’t want you to get hurt in AFL training.”  Hyukjae smiled hoping that Donghae would think of his protectiveness in a positive manner.

“Hyukjae your making me look submissive.” Donghae blushed.

“I was kinda hoping that it would.”  Hyukjae winked strutting off into the distance.

 

That afternoon Hyukjae sighed as he walked home with KyuSung (in his mind they were one quirky entity from outer space it was rare you’d see one without the other).  He looked out to where he saw Donghae at AFL training.  He couldn’t help but admire just how amazing he looked in the uniform.  The tank top perfectly complemented his muscular arms.

“I know you want to tap that.” Kyuhyun chuckled.

“Yes I do.” Hyukjae couldn’t deny it anymore.

“Well at the rate your going you won’t be tapping anything.”

“Trust me Kyu by the end of this he’ll think soccer is the coolest sport ever and I’ll be Mr Popular myself.”

“How do you plan to do that?” Yesung asked curiously, after which he tripped over his own feet and walked straight into a pole.  Hyukjae guessed the simple task of walking and talking was too much for his alien like friend.

“That International Rules football match, I’m going to be best player on ground.”  Hyukjae winked at Kyuhyun.  “He’ll think I’m the coolest kid in the school.”

 

From then on Hyukjae spent every day by the turtle pond with his soccer ball.  The weird and quirky couple would watch him practice. Yesung would sometimes join him whilst all Kyuhyun did was laugh at him.  Hyukjae watch Donghae from afar, while he practiced football, he would just jog around the whole two ovals just as an excuse to see him in those very short shorts.  If there was any goof thing about AFL it was those shorts and the way that just wrapped around Donghae’s behind so very nicely.  Hyukjae trained and trained, his mind completely focused on bulking up and winning that honor of best player on ground on his terms.

 

On D day Hyukjae felt a little nervous.  Today was the day he was not only going to prove that football players were capable of playing this he also hoped he’d win over Donghae’s heart.

“If it is anything good luck Spenser, I hope you don’t become one with the ground again.” Kyuhyun smirked.

“I see you have conveniently forgotten your sports uniform.” Hyukjae deadpanned.

“It’s against my religion to engage in any physical activity that involves running.”

“What’s your excuse Yesung?”

“I don’t want to ruin my selcas with uneven eyeliner.”

“Wow , Kyuhyun learn from your boyfriend his explanations actually make sense.” Hyukjae face palmed. “Seriously you two aren’t you going to help me? I could use some help out there!” To this Kyuhyun simply lifted up his phone.

“GO SPENCER!” it flashed.

“Is that enough support?” Yesung asked.

“I guess it’ll have to do.” Hyukjae sighed.

 

Soon he found himself on the field a horde of huge football players. 

“If it’s anything.” Donghae whispered into his ear, which consequently esent a shiver down Hyukjae’s back because damn Donghae’s voice was y like this.  “I’ll go out with you even if you do get pummeled.”

“What!” Hyukjae said in shock.

“Well Spenser you’re quite obviously checking me out every single day.  Subtly is not your strong point.” 

“I’m not the one wearing short shorts.”

“You’re just jealous that you’re wouldn’t look good in these short shorts!” Donghae said shaking his bum.

“Well I don’t need one babe.” Eunhyuk winked.

“Are you implying I’m the bottom in this relationship?”

“Well you are the one in the short shorts.” Hyukjae said wiggling his eyebrows suggestively earning Hyukjae a kick in the shins. 

 

Having the encouragement from Donghae must have been some form of super power for him.  Suddenly he found himself dodging out of the tackles running around the completion and kicking the ball into the goals as if he had been playing the game his entire life.  He couldn’t help but stick his rude finer up at the troll like guy at the end of the game when he was announced man of the match. 

“Looks like someone is acknowledging Football is the king of ball sports.”

“Seriously Hyukjae, can you stop being full of yourself and kiss me?” Donghae sighed.  Hyukjae grinned and leaned in for a kiss, only to find a finger in his way.

“Yesung why are you touching Donghae philtrum, can’t you see we are kind of busy here?”

“Kyuhyun said he’d find it amusing.” Yesung shrugged. 

“Don’t worry Hyukjae there is always next time.” Donghae smiled walking over to Kyuhyun wagging his on purpose. That tease Hyukjae gfrowleds as he ran to catch up with his new boyfriend.

 

“Mum you were right.” Hyukjae said when he arrived home that day.

“About what? I’m right about a lot of things.”

“Looks like I’m not going to bring a girlfriend home.”

“Really! I’m so glad you have come to your sense.”

“I’m bringing my boyfriend home.”  His mother promptly fainted. Hyukjae didn’t even look at the ground “Your right guys are much more fun to have relations with.” Hyukjae continued suggestively.

“I don’t know what to do with you.” “His mother groaned bringing herself to her feet.  “Though, he better be cute.”  Hyukjae grinned, more than happy to announce to his mother that he was, the most adorable guy he’d ever met, even if he was an AFL player. 

 

 


Author's NT

XD So that's it ! The end ~ Hope you enjoyed it ! Let me know what you think.

For the record I LOVE AFL (woo Eagles~)  I have a friend who always argues with me about Soccer being better etc so most of the Arguements Hyukjae makes in this are his not mine.  So send those drop bears after him.  

For those curious about International Rules it's a lot of fun, we used to play it a lot at school ^^ the memories of getting crushed under a pile of sweaty bodies >///< Lol no really it's one of my fave things to play

Thanks for reading ~