Stand By Me

A Silent Helping Hand

There is a girl, a petite looking girl with deep brown eyes. She goes by the name of Park Sun-young, a rather well-know vitamin among her friends.

Why vitamin?

It is because she often gives her friends full support to what they do, radiating the lively energy she always posseses. Her smiles are like happy viruses that can quickly spread among everyone, thus, resulting in everyone being fond of her and liked staying around her to brighten their day.

However, this is solely everything from people's eyes, so what lies behind her eyes?

Here, bringing you to the inner world of the petite girl named Park Sun-young.

---

March 13, 2012

Getting to know a new friend is really nice. I will not be lonely in the school bus ever again! And that's because there will be Krystal sitting beside me everyday from now on, and honestly, I feel so blessed.

She's quite new in this school bus and therefore, I thought of sharing with her a quite useful tip, though, I'm not sure if she will listen to me.

I shook her lightly to get her attention. She turned, raising an eyebrow at me and blinked a few times.

"Krystal-ah, you know, if you ever missed the bus after school, be sure to run towards the road right there."

I said, pointing to the particular road not far away from our school. The reason why this was a 'useful tip' was because our bus would usually drive through the back lane of the school, making a big u-turn around the housing area, then passing through this road to return to the main lane. 

Upon listening to my words, she didn't reply nor give me a response, yet she simply nodded at me and proceed to walk towards our classroom. I shrugged and followed behind her quietly.

"I guess she doesn't really care at all."

I thought to myself, feeling a little upset about her cold reply. Despite that, I kept the smile on my face as the both of us stepped into the class. Our class started shortly after that and I vaguely saw Krystal in search of something, looking very scared and urgent. I even heard her mumbling words like 'oh god' and 'damn' as I peeked at her.

When I did peek at her, I got startled as I saw tears sliding down her puffy cheeks.

"What's wrong?" I quickly asked, now feeling extremely worried.

She bit her lower lip and sniffled, I could even see her shivering for a bit before she finally told me that she forgot to bring along her textbook. I could feel my mouth opening widely as I fall back in silence. Our English teacher had previously gave her several warnings but yet she still forgets to bring the book everytime. So that was why she broke down in tears, probably having the worst case scenario in her mind.

My heart began to race and I was very worried about how she might get scolded later on. The worst case scenario found its way into my train of thoughts as I imagined how the teacher would punish and yell at her in front of the class. In the midst of my messy thoughts, I kept myself silent as I tried to find a solution to help Krystal. But when I saw the teacher making her first step into the classroom, I knew it was too late for any solutions.

Instinctively, I immediately pushed my textbook to her table.

The sobbing Krystal looked at the book now lying on her table, then turned her tears drenched face to look at me, now looking puzzled. I forced a weak smile at her. And the next thing I did was to stand up from my seat, almost stumbled when I did that, to 'turn myself in' to the teacher. My classmates eyed me weirdly, but I could care less about that at that very moment, feeling a certain tension in the air as the teacher shot me a glare.

"I-I forgot to bring-"

Before I even complete my sentence, my mouth pursed by itself when the teacher interrupted,

"Did you not know there is my lesson today?"

I took in a deep breath, getting ready to be scolded and punished by the teacher.

That day, the last thing I heard clearly was a simple 'thank you' from the girl beside me.

---

May 10, 2012

I was sitting together along with my girlfriends, chatting merrily about the events that had happened recently. That was until, Krystal sitting beside me suddenly began to greet somebody. I could hear the girls making "ooo" sounds but I was yet able to see the person interrupting us since he or she was behind me.

"Jinki oppa."

My ears perked up and I quickly turned to the direction Krystal was facing.

"Hello, Jinki oppa." My lips curled up naturally.

"Sun-young, I'm sorry to bother you again but-"

"It's okay. Anything that I can help you?" I shook my head gently, rejecting his apology.

"I need you to inform Kibum to collect the club's money by the day after tomorrow." He requested.

I stunned after hearing that. I stared at him for a good second or two, registering what he had just said to me before nodding as acceptance.

"Alright, I'll pass the message."

"I'm sorry Sun-young."

He made a slight bow to me before taking his leave. The girls made noises when he left, in an effort to tease me due to their knowledge of me having a crush on Jinki. Yes, apparently I really like Lee Jinki sunbae.

My face reddened in embarassment and I narrowed my eyes at them. They laughed in return but I was still blushing hardly. I cleared my throat awkwardly, before standing up to speak to the girls.

"Yah guys, I have to go find Kibum oppa."

The girls nodded and I left immediately before they could comment on anything to embarrass me even further. It didn't take me long enough before I spot the Kim guy with his best buddies at his usual hangout place, somewhere near his class. I approached them with a heavy heart, as I already knew how Kibum will respond when he receives the news.

"Kibum-sshi, I have something to say."

I mustered up enough courage to interrupt their 'men talk', only to be welcomed by a frowning Kibum, looking slightly annoyed and impatient at the same time.

"What is it? I assume it's something bad from you." He said in a monotonous tone.

I sighed heavily before I began, "Well yeah, Jinki oppa wants you to collect the club's money by the day after tomorrow."

"That guy is out of his mind! He knew darn well our exam is like three days later!"

"Kibum, Jinki's busy too..." I muttered in a low voice.

His anger seemed to rise after what I had said. And I regretted awfully about my stupid mouth.

"He's busy and so am I! We all need to study!"

I took his untasteful words silently, unable to talk back. He made remarks about Jinki, but I didn't fight back.

All I did was... Apologizing on behalf of Jinki. 

"I'm sorry... You can scold me if you want..."

"It's not your frickin' fault..."

He stopped raising his voice and soften up his expression, taking a glance at me. I was halfway to breaking into tears of guiltiness, so he let out a light sigh and said to me as gentle as he could,

"Just go, I got your message."

"I'm sorry Kibum..." I said, leaving straight away while my body slightly quivered out of fear and nervousness.

I felt bad about being a burden to Kibum, but I also felt bad that Jinki was blamed like this. It wasn't anyone's fault... I know Jinki well, it was not his fault. He was just put into a position where he had to allocate the tasks ordered by the teacher... Things like these were basically out of his control, to be honest.

Anyway, being a middle person always hurt the most. But I am a person who is willing to get hurt, so long as I don't disappoint my friends or become their burden. That's just how I am, trying my best to be genuine in every friendship and helping them in any way.

Even if at the end of the day, I am the person needing to endure all the pain received...

---

May 21, 2012

Dear diary,

I'm here to record down the events that happened today. I want to express my unsatisfied heart and pour out my pent-up emotions.

I became the middle person today, again. But, I believe that I didn't do anything wrong to her, did I?

I was just hanging out with another friend of mine this morning, and don't I have my own freedom to befriend others?

I personally feel that she is being selfish and unreasonable today. She took it out on me and ignored me for the rest of the day, just because I left her alone for just a couple of hours. When I tried to stick with her, she walked away from me without a second glance. I was deeply upset when she did that, and I didn't bother to mix with the others so I ended up being alone for the day.

But really, what was it for me to deserve such a treatment?

Ji Eun is really getting on my nerves nowadays... I began to notice a lot of her flaws after being her seatmate for months. That was why I told Krystal that I would be sitting with her in class from a few weeks ago. I just wanted to avoid arguing with Ji Eun, so I guess this was the best possible solution for now. I would hate to lose her as a friend, but I just couldn't find myself talking to her nor opening up to her anymore. I'm kind of tired, really.

Nonetheless, despite Ji Eun treating me that way, I still find warmth in my heart today.

I was so frustrated because Ji Eun and I argued during the last lesson, so I exited the school after that and sat in the bus furiously, without even noticing Krystal's absence. I was still trying to regain my calmness when the movement of the bus brought me back to reality. It was only then I realized that Krystal was not beside me as per usual. I began to panic and shouted to the bus driver in a hurry, telling him to stop the bus for a while because Krystal hasn't gotten on board.

The bus driver did stop the bus, but he gave up after waiting for a few minutes and there was no sight of Krystal. He began to start his engine once more, driving pass the school as I worriedly looked outside the bus, hoping to catch a glimpse of Krystal's figure, but there was nothing. Cold sweats were evident in my palms, but I felt helpless at that moment since I couldn't find Krystal anywhere and the bus had already started driving away.

However, a light of hope appeared when we reached the junction before going into the main lane, I heard steps at the front of the bus. It was then I finally caught sight of the panting Krystal, finding her way to the seat beside me.

Surprised, I waited for her to take her seat and settle down before asking her,

"How did you manage to catch the bus?"

She coughed dryly for a few times and took a deep breath before flashing a sweet smile at me,

"You told me to run to this road before, remember?"

When I heard that, my thoughts went blank for a moment. Shortly after that, warmth found its way into my heart and all my negative feelings built up from just now vanished at once.

It might be seen as just a trivial matter to someone else, but I truly appreciated it.

She remembered.

---

June 18, 2012

Our examinations started in mid June. The rain poured heavily this morning, so I hurriedly went to close the windows in order to avoid the raindrops sprinkling into my room. I did a morning stretch after that, then proceed to carry out my morning routine, the same old brushing of my teeth, taking a nice bath and not forgetting to eat the day's most important meal - breakfast.

Lastly, after all that was done, I hopped onto the school bus and started my journey to school. As I searched for a seat, I found two empty ones at the second row but one of it was wet, probably due to the morning rain that had just stopped awhile ago. I didn't sit into the wet seat right away but I sat at the dry place, pondering about what I can do when Krystal heads into the bus. I stared at the seat with countless drops of rainwater, then rummaged my bag to look for tissue papers.

Unfortunately, I wasn't in such luck for a packet of tissue paper to be lying in my bag, and the bus had already stopped at Krystal's place. As I watched her walking up the bus and grinning at me, I didn't think twice and returned a smile to her, then shifted myself into the wet seat to let her sit beside me. I didn't tell her anything regarding the wet seat, but instead, I just opened up a random topic I had in mind to start our first conversation of the day.

The bus drove past several lanes in a considerably high speed, causing the wind entering from the open windows to brush through us strongly, and the books in our hands flipping noisily. I noticed the disturbance, so I tried to shut the windows. However, something seemed to be stucked somewhere, so it was a failed attempt for me to close it. I gave up and decided to bear with it after pushing the window several times but to no avail. Another minute passed by, and I could sense some annoyance in Krystal. I took a peek at her, realizing that she was still trying to read the book, but her book was flipping endlessly with the pace of the wind and her hair flew messily on her hair. I awkwardly cleared my throat, then moved my body once again, this time just enough to block the wind.

I took another glance at her, and the wind no longer bothered her that much. Satisfied, I found myself staring at her for a short period of time, and her gaze never once leaves the book she had her focus on.

-

Upon reaching the school gate, we got off the bus and met Victoria on our way into the school, but her facial expressions seemed somewhat off.

"Vic...Vic?"

Krystal called out after watching her pass by us without any greeting, fastened her footsteps to reduce the gap between the both of them and finally tapping her shoulder to get her attention.

"A-Ah, it's you guys..."

Victoria got startled after seeing the both of us standing behind her back, her face expressed uneasiness, her eyes gazing absentmindedly else where.

"What's wrong, Vic? You seemed... weird."

Krystal asked, while inching her face near to Victoria's, trying her best to examine Victoria's facial expression. I slanted my head to a side, my eyes turned into a slight frown and my heart beats in a way as if I am the one feeling apprehensive. Victoria went silent for a couple of seconds, before pushing Krystal away gently, and continued to take the lead in walking. She was still paying the least attention to her surroundings as she walked, and moments later, she ended up mistaking a step and fell.

"Victoria!"

Krystal shouted in shock as she hurries over to support Victoria, only to meet the girl's tears streaming down her cheeks. I was standing a few steps away when all of that happened so suddenly, my hands were opened out instinctively but my legs were frozen at that very spot so I didn't manage to help her in time. Silently, I felt so helpless and awkward at that point, clueless as to exactly what I should do. I could feel my heart aching for a little, and my frown deepens by its own.

Hence, I ended up standing there and just witnessed how Krystal comforts Victoria and all.

"Sun-young, let's go, Vic's alright."

Few moments later, everything went back to normal, when Krystal shook me back to reality. I simply gave her a nod and followed after them quietly, my eyes never leaving Victoria even once. Victoria must have felt my stare, because she suddenly turned to smile at me when we were halfway to our classroom.

"I'm ok." She mouthed. After getting her reassurance, my heart could finally beat in peace.

---

July 23, 2012

It was a day that marks the start of a brand new week, Monday. This morning, I got up earlier to meet the bright sun shining on me. It was another typical Monday morning, until I suddenly heard giggles coming from the garden of my house. I stuck my head out the window, only to be met by two beautiful eyes staring at me from below.

"Unnie!" She shouted with enthusiasm, jumping up and down on the grass while pointing at me.

"Min Youngie?" I questioned, this time, my mother looked at me as she calmed the little one down.

"Sun-young-ah, quickly dress up and keep her company while I go to the market later."

My mother ordered. I nodded and smiled at the little girl, her doe-like eyes smiling cutely back at me. This little girl here, Joo Min Young, lives next door to our right. She would often come over to my house, asking for snacks from my mother and played with me. Min Young is five this year, a rather matured little child,  if I were to compare to her same aged peers, as she would put herself into the adult's perspective at times.

As I put on my uniform, I checked the time and there was still two hours left before the school bus arrives at my place to pick me up. I marched myself downstairs, proceed to sit myself at the dining table for breakfast. My mother brought Min Young to the table after washing their hands, and I asked,

"Mum, why isn't Min Young at school?"

"The kindergarten had to shut down for a few days because Min Young's schoolmate was diagnosed with hand-foot-and-mouth disease."

My mother explained, her hand busily worked to make us sandwiches.

"Hmm, I see."

I nodded, taking a huge gulp of a glass of warm milk prepared by my mother. After finishing breakfast, my mother went out to the market, so I played with Min Young for awhile before giving her a packet of fish-shaped biscuits - her favourite snack. I sat down beside her at the sofa, caressing her hair smoothly while watching her nibble on the biscuits cutely.

Out of the blue, Min Young sneezed and her grip on the packet loosen, causing the biscuits to fall on the floor and made a mess. I gasped, checked if my mother had returned home yet by instinct before crouching down to pick up the fallen pieces on the floor. Min Young seemed to be in a daze from shock, so she stayed silent as she watched me pick up the biscuits. Her eyes became watery not long after, but she still did not utter a word. Whereas, my hands slightly trembled when I was still picking the biscuits, as I thought about how my mother will blame everything on me for making a mess in the house.

Soon enough, I cleaned up the mess and turned to look at Min Young. I found her sobbing softly on the sofa, tears sliding down her puffy cheeks and she bit her lower lip apologetically. I took the biscuits in my hands and threw them in the trash can without delay before coming back to soothe her, assuring her that everything was alright. Minutes passed as the little one's cries soften and she drifted herself off to sleep.

"I'm back, children!"

My mother voiced, stepping inside the house and saw me cuddling the now sleeping Min Young.

"She slept?" My mother whispered, lowering her voice as much as possible.

"Just awhile ago." I smiled, placing her on the sofa gently and kissed her forehead.

---

July 24, 2012

"Hey Vic, why were you so upset the last time? It's not the stress from studying right?"

I asked, sitting myself on the empty seat beside Victoria and moving my body closer to her. The thing just came to me as I recalled the time when Victoria acted strangely the last time she came to school. It was during our examinations' period, so I wanted to ask her about it soon after our tests, but I had forgotten about it for days. 

Today, Krystal took a day off from school so I changed my place again to sit beside Victoria.

"Uh... I had a fight with another friend of mine that morning."

She answered, a yawn escaped from so she naturally lied her head onto my shoulder. I pouted, letting her lean on me as I continue,

"So... You guys cool now?"

"I guess..."

She replied in a soft voice, then closed her eyes after having both her arms around my right arm and shifted her body until she could find the most comfortable position to lean on me.

"Alright, glad it's alright now. Just don't hesitate to tell me if anything is wrong."

I said, feeling a little uncomfortable with her weight on me. Victoria shut her eyes for a couple of seconds, before opening them again.

"I'm scared... Our friendship seems to be tumbling down." I heard her saying.

A small smile silently crawled up my face, as I noticed that she was opening up to me. I felt glad to have gained her trust, just enough for her to tell me about what happened and shared with me her struggles. As Victoria told me what happened, I suddenly recalled the issue between Ji Eun and I. Our friendship crisis was somewhat similar to Victoria's, and it was slowly breaking the both of us apart before we even realize it. Day by day, the distance between us grew and now, we had reached the point where we seldom greet or talk to each other.

Whilst on the other hand, I seemed to grow more closer to Krystal. Well, this might have been the main reason to why Ji Eun left me. She must have felt jealous and left out. However, I still believed that I had my own rights, to meet new friends and build other close relationships. I had my reasons to why I chose to befriend Krystal and strengthen our friendship, putting her as one of my priorities. One of the reason was because I appreciated the opportunity to have another close friend by my side whom I can rely on, so I placed a little more effort in this friendship, hoping it could last. Another reason was that I trusted my friendship with Ji Eun, I thought our relationship was strong, so I would need less time to pay attention to her. But, she proved me wrong with her recent actions. Truthfully, I was so disappointed with her, so I started pondering about the worth of our friendship, and if I would still consider her as someone close to me. However, being an optimist like I usually did, I still held on to the hope that our friendship will bloom again some day. As of now, I would just bear with the sadness of seeing a close friend slowly turning into a stranger.

"Sun-youngie... Are you ok?"

Victoria patted my back gently, jolting me back to the current situation.

"A-am I giving you too much troubles?"

Victoria stuttered, now having a worried expression plastered on her face. I replied with a grin and shook my head, placing an arm of mine onto her shoulder.

"Not at all. Instead, thank you for trusting me and opening up to me."

The both of us smiled, staring into each others eyes for a while, sharing the inner negative feelings and seeking comfort from each other through our gazes.

Everything will be alright. I believed.

---

August 12, 2012

"Hello, you probably heard of me at least once. Your wisdom tooth.
You probably think you experienced it all when you were young..."

I furrowed my brows together, letting out a low ungrateful growl as I let my eyes open.

"Gosh... What's the time now..."

I mumbled to myself, scratching my head and yawned lazily. I stared into space for a few minutes in bed, still trying to register my surroundings, before I finally gathered up my morning spirit and energy to get myself prepared for school. Just as I tidied up myself properly to go downstairs, I heard chatterings and laughter coming from the kitchen.

I tilted my head to a side, curious as to what kind of guests we were having at this early hour. On my way to the kitchen, I kept thinking about who could it be, coming on a busy weekday, but I still couldn't get a clue after searching through the list of possible guests in my mind. I gave up feeling slightly frustrated, so I shook my head vigorously before entering the kitchen.

"Oh! Sun-youngie!!!"

In a glimpse of an eye, the familiar faces appeared before me and they speedily came over to throw a big hug at me.

"W-wait... Wha-..."

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DEAR!!!" Victoria shouted, jumping around me excitedly.

Oh... So that's why...

"K-krys... C-an't breathe..."

I coughed a couple of times, still in a tight embrace of Krystal to the point of suffocating. She grinned playfully, released me and ruffled my just-combed-and-looks-perfect hair and made a mess of it. I looked at her disapprovingly, but I let it go since they were too excited for my special day. Soon enough, my lips began to curl up again as I stared at their childish and funny behaviours.

"Happy birthday, my lovely daughter!"

My mother chirped in, her hands carrying a small yet meaningful cream cheese cake. The candles were lighted up, and I could see its flame shaking about with each steps my mother took carefully. She placed the cake with care onto the dining table while all of us sat into our respective seats around the table. The atmosphere began to brighten up much more than it had already been, but the sound of my ringtone suddenly interrupted the merry moment.

It was an incoming call, from the person whom I rarely see at home because of his busy career. It was my father. I excused myself from the dining room and went to the living room alone to answer the call.

"Hello?"

Silence took over for a moment, and I waited patiently for him to speak.

"Sun-young-ah, everything's alright at home?"

He asked, his voice low and stable. 

"Yeah dad, is anything wrong?"

"No, no, I'll be back home tomorrow. I just called to say 'Happy Birthday' to my dear daughter."

He finally said. Although his tone never changed throughout the call, I still felt a certain warmth gushing up my whole body when I listened to his words. Once again, the both of us fell back into silence for some time, before I hear him clearing his throat and speak,

"Guess... I'll hang up now, okay sweetie?"

"O-okay... Thanks dad, bye." I stuttered, then ended the call in seconds.

I sank into the sofa after that, replaying the moment of when he wished me in my mind several times. I could feel my heart beat in a slow and relaxed pace, and it slowly warmed up in ways I couldn't describe. At that moment, I realized once again that this was just as what people used to say "the little things in life can bring you unimaginable happiness". I was immensely touched by such little things, and when I regained full conciousness of my surroundings, I felt happy tears sliding down my cheeks. To be able to receive a call from one of the most important people in your life for just a simple wish,

It was priceless.

-

At late noon, it was time for our tea break. I took my purse from my bag, getting up from my seat, ready to leave the class after the dismissal. However, Ji Eun came into my view and stopped me from continuing my footsteps. I halted my steps, staring at her nervously. At first, I could see indifference in her face, but it took me around two seconds to then find a rather refreshing smile imprinted on her face. I got surprised by that, even more so when I see her holding her hand out, indicating for a handshake. My mind couldn't think straight, so I looked at her again with an empty expression. 

"I'm sorry for the arguments in the past. Forgive me?"

She blinked a few times, her eyes shone with sincerity. Of course, as a happy and easygoing person, I took her hand without further hesitation. It was then I felt a cold sensation in her hand so I pulled my hand away. I looked at my palm, finding a necklace landed on my hand.

"It's a star pendant. Sun-young, happy birthday." Ji Eun smiled gracefully, tapping my shoulder with a light force.

The pendant glittered and twinkled brightly like an actual star, as if indicating that our friendship has once again began to shine.

I giggled.

-

Around late evening, it was finally time to head back home for a birthday feast waiting for me. I packed up my belongings and exited the school, but this time, I stopped by Kibum's rather high pitched voice. I hastily turned to the direction of his call, only to be caught by surprise as I saw Kibum and Jinki in the same frame.

"The both of them... peacefully together?" I thought to myself the first thing I saw the two, who were now making their way to me.

"Don't mind us, we just came to wish you happy birthday."

Kibum must have noticed my weird expression as he said that, and his words had effectively stopped my mind from overflowing with questions.

"A-ah...Thank you..."

I squeezed out an awkward smile, bobbing my head as a response while my eyes carefully peeking at Jinki sunbae.

"So... Here's a gift for you. Happy birthday, Sun-young."

Jinki took a box out from behind, pushing it into my hands gently. I beamed in delight as I took it from his hands, keeping in mind not to embarrass myself, I tried toning myself down, no squealing and no blushing.

"Ohh... thank you Jinki oppa, you really don't need to give such a big present..."

My heart skipped a beat when he patted my hair lightly, a playful grin plastered on his face.

"It's nothing really."

"Gosh, you guys..." Kibum stood aside with his arms folded, tapping his foot impatiently and scoffed in disgust.

The three of us laughed at the same time as the sunset bids us goodbye.

-------------------------------------------------------

I gave in the past, and now I receive it back. Surely enough, this will be the most memorable birthday I had.

Life really doesn't disappoints me at all with all these surprises.

The End.

 


A/N: Ops, guess this one shot turned out to be a little long? Gosh, I finally finished this!!! *Throws confetti* Well, hope you enjoyed reading this one shot. Cheers~ :)