Against the storm

Against the storm
 
Anything worth having is worth fighting for.

 

Kai, a winsome young orphan, lived with his Aunt Gyuri and Uncle Jongshin on a hardscrabble farm in a town on the outskirts of town. Located beside their spartan little house was a small underground room, where they could go in case one of those mighty, house-crushing whirlwinds arose.
 
 
Kai's one real delight was to play with his little black dog, Soo. It had long silky hair and small black eyes that twinkled merrily on either side of his funny little nose. Together they fritter away many afternoons, frolicking beneath the pellucid skies. 
 
 
One day, while hunkering down to milk a mottled cow, Uncle Jongshin who always kept an anxious eye towards the increasingly ominous sky above, suddenly noticed the long grass rippled before him. He froze. The usually phlegmatic farmer called out to his wife at once. "Ri-ah! There's a twister coming!" 
 
 
With an uncommon alacrity, Aunt Gyuri dropped her work and bolted to the door. One glance at the lowering sky told her of the impending danger. "Kai! The underground room!" She shrieked frantically. 
 
 
Spurred into action by Aunt Gyuri's strident warning, Kai grabbed Soo and followed his aunt to the metal trap door that led to the sanctuary of the underground room. But just as he was about to enter, Soo leapt from his arms and scampered back into the house.
 
 
Not quite appreciating the full power of the storm, he disregarded his aunt's hurried admonitions, going back out to retrieve the runaway dog. Barely taking two steps, the tornado descended violently, decimating everything in its path. The wind, tearing past him at a violently fast pace, seized a sharp-edged shingle from the roof and flung it downward through the air like a guillotine that missed his neck by mere centimetres. 
 
 
Now the wind took hold of the boy and knocked him down. All around him, flying flowerpots, denuded branches, and pieces of of fence smashed to bits as they struck the ground. He slowly raised herself to his feet, but his flapping overalls hobbled him as it clung to his legs at every step. 
 
 
With his head down and arms stretched out before him, he stumbled on, feeling his way like a blind person. As he was about to enter the house, the storm made a final malevolent gesture. Two sharp metal gutters, stripped from the roof by a single blast of wind, directed themselves towards him like parallel spears. Before he knew what had happened, he saw them stick themselves deeply into the ground at his feet. 
 
 
Now inside the house, desperately he sought for Soo. It was impossible for him to walk in a straight line. He was tossed and battered like a ship in a maelstrom until an erratic vortex caught the scrawny boy, throwing him upon him bed before knocking him out.
 
 
Several hours elapsed and Kai finally regained consciousness. The air in the room was still. Soo was alive, laying still beside him as it awaited the arousal of his master. Sloppy were placed on his face as he got up slowly. A laugh escaped his lips, "You're alive!" He brought the black animal into his embrace as a smile was etched onto his face. 
 
 

 

A really short oneshot! >.<

Hope you liked it! ^^

/crosses fingers

 

 

 

thanks for reading! *bows 90°*