So You'll Do Whatever I Say?

Whatever You Say

Kai curiously peered at the piece of candy in his hand. “What is…”

 

When she didn’t reply and only smiled for him to eat away, he clumsily peeled off the plastic that had been wrapped around it. With a rather…apprehensive expression, he prodded at the tip of the long, hooked candy cane with what could have been a grimace at the slight bounce the gummy candy cane gave in response. “Is it…safe?”

 

With a scoff, she put her hands on her hips and gave Kai a rather exasperated expression. “If you’re not going to eat it, I’ll take i—“

 

“No! No.” Kai interrupted hurriedly, having used his height to his advantage and lifted the piece of candy high above his head and our of her reach. “I’ll eat it.” He added, when she gave him a surprised and withering look.

 

He closed his eyes, as if to try not to fathom that he would be eating such a strange confectionary – although the memory of the brightly colored, rainbow candy stood clearly in his mind’s eye – and hesitantly took a bite.

 

And in that moment, he was hit by the strangest, conflicting thoughts. He was eating a gummy bear – it was so squishy and…well…gummy. But then, it tasted as a candy cane should, with its sweet, clean flavor. Kai his lips, and tasted the overly sweet – which was typical and expected – frosting, lightly sprinkled with shimmering, colored rainbow crystals.

 

Sugar.

 

That was a complete overload of sugar.

 

But what did he care?

 

It was delicious.

 

He opened his eyes and stared curiously at the candy.

 

“What is it?”

 

She gave a non-committal sort of shrug. “You said you wanted a rainbow frosted candy cane with a texture like gummy bears.”

 

“Why would I say that?”

 

“Because I said, ‘whatever you say’.” 

 

Kai took a small moment to rethink things, and looked down at the candy in his hand. So if she did this... she would really do whatever he said, right? "So will you--"

 

"No."

 

"But--"

 

"Eat your candy, Kai." She lifted his hand and rather unceremoniously stuffed the candy, plastic, frosting, and all into his mouth.

 

He shut up.