Once was mine

Once was mine

Jieun sat on the couch, holding a cup of tea in her hand, staring at the clock on the wall. It was almost midnight but him, Woohyun her boyfriend of 2 years, the only one she loved with all her heart didn’t return home yet. But this wasn’t the first time Woohyun was coming home late and this wasn’t the first time jieun was sitting on the couch waiting for him; no. This has been happening over the course of 2 years since they have been together. Jieun knew the reason why he was coming home late. Woohyun belonged to a gang but not just any gang; he belonged to the most violent and feared gang on the streets of Seoul. Jieun knew about the gang. She didn’t mind it at first but after seeing Woohyun wounded up, she began to feel frightened. She told him many times to stop but he rejected it every time.

Many people thought she was forced to be with Woohyun or they just thought she was crazy but none of that happened; she loved him like any other women loved her man. Their love story began when Jieun was returning home after an exhausting day at the coffee shop and she was walking she got caught up in a shootout. At first, jieun has no idea what to do until Woohyun rescued her. In doing so, he injured himself. Guilt came upon Jieun and she thought it was all her fault he was hurt. To try to make it up to him, Jieun would go to Woohyun and tend his wounds until he was healed. They spent a majority of time together and as they were they ended up falling in love. Jieun was in joy and had to tell her parents but in doing so, her parents were upset and told her not to see him ever again but she rejected that. She moved out of her parents’ home and lived with Woohyun. That was their story.

It was now 1am in the morning and he still hadn’t return. Jieun was still sitting on the couch but wake; neither did she sleep nor move from the couch. How could she not? Woohyun, the one she loves, hadn’t return yet. She was worried about him and negative thought spun around her head. Is he hurt? Is he gone? Did he get captured? Is he still alive but in deep pain? These were what she was thinking. She wanted to cry, cry her aching heart out but she held herself together. Suddenly, Woohyun came in the house. Jieun stood up from the couch; she wanted to hug him and kiss him but what stopped her was the blood covering his forehead and arm along with the cuts on his arms. His lips were bloody and he had a black eye.

“Woohyun” she said his name softly but there was a pinch of fear buried inside. She walked closer to him. “What happened to you?”

“Nothing much; just got in a little fight with Zico.” He said with a slight laugh hoping it wouldn’t worry Jieun anymore but it didn’t work. Jieun wanted to yell at him and slap him but she couldn’t, she just couldn’t do that. She wasn’t that type of person. Defeated by her inner self, she dragged Woohyun to the couch and ran to get the first aid kit.

“Jieun” Woohyun watched her run to get the kit. Jieun came back with a worried look. She tended to Woohyun’s wounds. She first wiped the blood off his arms and lips then applied ointment on his scars. She wasn’t talking to Woohyun and didn’t want to. “Jieun” Woohyun said her name lovingly but she didn’t response. “Jieun” he said once more but still there was no answer. After jieun was done tending his wounds, she went inside their bedroom, sitting on the bed. Woohyun followed; he leaned on the doorway, watching jieun sit on the bed. He came forth and kneeled in front of her, looking at her with sorry eyes.

“Jieun, please say something.” He came towards her. “If you’re mad at me then say it by slapping me hard in the face.” Jieun did feel like slapping him but after he said that she could help but giggle at his silliness. He rested his chin on her legs. “I’m sorry baby, please don’t be mad.”

“I’m not mad.” She finally spoke. Woohyun was lit with glee. “You’re not.” He smiled.

She shook her head. “No, but I was worried about you.” She tried to smile.

“Don’t start worrying about me. It’s not healthy for you.” He laughed and she couldn’t help but laugh along with him. Woohyun rested his head on her legs while Jieun his raven hair with her soft hands. “Woohyun,” Woohyun looked at her, smiling at the woman he loved so much. “Please stop, please stop fighting, please stop getting hurt, and please stop coming home late. I miss you and worry about you.”

“I’m sorry but I can’t.” Woohyun kissed her lips.

“I know.”                                                

That night, Jieun tried to get some sleep but she just couldn’t. The next morning, Jieun was getting ready for another day at work at the coffee shop. As she was brushing her soft brown hair, Woohyun wrapped his arms around her waist pulling her closer towards him. He kissed her temples.

“Do you have to go to work today?” he asked still hugging her from behind.

“Yes I do.” She smiled.

“But why?” he pouted. “I want you to stay with me.”

She turned around and faced him. “Well if you want that to happen then you have to beg my boss.” She giggled. “I have to go now.” She gave him a kiss and when she was about to leave, Woohyun grabbed her wrists. “I’m not letting you go easily.” He brought her to his embrace. “You’re just going to have to tell your boss you had to deal with some other things so that’s why you didn’t go to work.” He chuckled.

“And if I did then he’s going to know what that reason is.” She laughed swinging her arms around Woohyun. “He’s going to hunt you down.”

“Let him hunt me down.”

She smiled. “I have to go now, Woohyun.”

“I know.” He said giving her another kiss then released her.

“I’ll see you in the afternoon.” She said then left for work.

Just like any other day at work, it was tiring and exhausted everyone there except for the owner who does nothing but still in his office and count money. After work was over, Jieun and Hana walked home together.

“Today was just too much.” Hana sighed.

“I know how you feel today. Well everyone does.” Jieun said.

“Yeah, except for the boss who does nothing but act like a fat all the time.”

“That’s true.”

“So how’s things with Woohyun and you.”

“It’s been fine.”

“I heard he was beaten up badly yesterday.”

“Yeah he was.”

“Jieun,” Hana stopped her. “When are you going to tell him to stop all this violence? If he keeps this up then he’s going to end up looking like a mummy.”

Jieun sighed. “Hana, you have no idea how much I tried to stop him but he won’t listen to me.”

“You need to stop him because if he doesn’t then you’re going to end up leaving him.”

Jieun’s eyes shot at Hana. “What do you mean I’m going to leave him?”

Hana patted Jieun’s shoulder. “You’ll understand what I mean.”

Jieun returned home. She was excited to see Woohyun but that went away when she saw what happened to him. Woohyun’s right arm, on the upper level of the arm, was covered a wrap but blood could be seen right through it.

“Woohyun” Jieun was in shock. “What happened to you?” she ran to him.

“Himchan and I had a little rumble.” Woohyun tried to make it sound like it wasn’t a big deal.

“A “little” rumble?” Jieun was upset, very upset. No, she was furious. “You call that a little rumble.” Her voice was filled with rage.

“Jieun” Woohyun had never seen her raise her voice at him before.

“Do you think it’s funny when you get hurt? Do you think this is all a joke? Do you know how much I worry about you when I see you covered in blood? Do you know how sick and tired I am seeing you like this? Don’t you know how I feel? Don’t you understand what I got through? Don’t you…” Jieun was crying and Woohyun couldn’t help it. He grabbed her and pulled her in his embrace.

Jieun didn’t want to hug him or feel his love. Woohyun stoked her hair. “I’m sorry Jieun. Please don’t cry.” Woohyun hugged her tighter.

“Sorry isn’t going to help.” She whispered but he didn’t hear her. Woohyun looked at her, brushing off her last tear.

“Please don’t cry anymore.” He said.

They went to sleep but again Jieun couldn’t sleep. All she could think about was Woohyun and his gang and what Hana said. Jieun didn’t want to deal with Woohyun anymore or his wounds or anything else that involved violence and blood. She had enough of it. Jieun got up from bed and packed her things in a suitcase. She grabbed a paper and pen then began to write. She looked at Woohyun and wanted to cry again. She still loved him even though he doesn’t listen to her that much she still loved him. Yet, she didn’t want to deal with but it hurts leaving him. In the end, she kissed him softly on the lips then left.

Woohyun woke up to find no Jieun in the house. He looked everywhere for her presence but she was gone. At first he thought she was at work but then the sight of her clothes missing worried him. He then found a note on the table.

Dear Woohyun,

I just want to let you know that I love you. I love you so much and you mean the

World to me but I just can’t stand you getting hurt or the blood or violence.

Though it hurts me, I had to leave you but it’s for your own good and mine as well.

I’m sorry my love

Love,

Jieun

Woohyun ripped up the paper. He couldn’t believe what he read. He grabbed a chair and slammed it to the floor, breaking it. He punched a mirror; shards of glasses fell down and cut his fist. He trashed the bedroom and living room. After his rampage, he sat on the floor and leaned against the wall. Tears were flowing down. He knew this was his fault and his alone. She had told him many times not to do it but he neglected her and now he is paying his stupidity.

“Well Woohyun.” He told himself. “You messed up big time.”

3 months had passed since Woohyun hadn’t seen Jieun but in those 3 months he had lessen his injuries and his fighting. He didn’t fall in love with anyone because his heart was still yearning for Jieun and jieun only; no one could replace it. He still loved her. Woohyun would pass by the coffee shop once in a while to check up on Jieun. He would see a smile spread across her gorgeous face. He missed her smile. He misses her but; this is what he gets for being selfish.

Sunggyu and Woohyun were walking around on the streets on Seoul minding their business. Woohyun had his mind on Jieun; he always had and always will but he was caught off attention when he saw Jieun standing near the park. Joy overcame Woohyun and he wanted to go to her and hug her but he remembered she isn’t his anymore. Woohyun noticed a man walking to her. He recognized the man. It was Xi Luhan, the son of a famous business tycoon.

Luhan walked to Jieun and hugged her. That’s when Woohyun understood that she wasn’t his anymore at all. She was now Luhan’s and Luhan’s only. Sunggyu saw Jieun too and was filled with rage when he saw Luhan.

“Hey he’s hugging your girl.” Sunggyu said to him. “Aren’t you going to do something about it?”

Woohyun shook his head. “No.” then continued walking.

Sunggyu was in shock. “What?”

Woohyun looked at him then Jieun. “She once was mine, but not anymore.”


Sequel: Once was mine is mine again.