Ranger

She Lives In Apartment C3

                I had to get back to work, but Rome and I exchanged numbers and promised to keep in touch and talk more about the job.

                I had a lot to think about.

                I mean, Rome had quickly explained that I wouldn’t be living with him or anything crazy like that. Just in the same complex as him. So basically just down the hallway or something like that. That wasn’t too bad, plus it was exactly what I was hoping for in a way. A job in dancing, a place to stay, all of it happening in Seoul. Everything I was hoping for was coming true.

                Through the works of some random guy I had met in the café that I worked at.

                “You’re insane, this is insane, and you don’t even know the guy!” my sister, Vanessa cried out, following me into the room I was using a couple weeks later. I dropped a box onto the bed and began to pack up the few things I had unpacked in the room as I shot her a look.

                “We’ve gone over this how many times, Van?”

                “Yes, but—“

                “His name is Rome, he’s from Australia, he came to Seoul to open up a dance studio and teach dance here.” I turned and reached for the tape but Van quickly snatched it away from me. “He’s giving me a job—give me the tape!”

                “You can’t possibly just go in there with such little information of the guy.”

                “I know more about him, I chose not to tell you.” I said, reaching out my hand and attempted to grab the tape from her. Seriously, I only had one more box to pack, why was she being difficult now?

                Her eyes grew wide as she moved her reach further away from me. “Why? Is he a drug dealer? Do I need to call the cops?”

                I groaned and tilted my head back in aggravation. “Hyukjin! Come control your wife!”

                The tall, model-like business man came sauntering into the room, a look of amusement across his face as he adjusted his tie. “Why is she ‘your wife’ when she’s bothering you?”

                I pouted but it quickly turned into a smirk. “I don’t take ownership or her annoying side.”

                “Yah!” she cried out, smacking me out of reflex. I snatched the tape out of her grip and sealed the last box with a cry of satisfaction, drowning out my sister’s wails of protest. Hyukjin simply chuckled at us before turning away with a shake of his head and going back to getting ready for work.

                “Can’t you at least stay and hang out with me for a while?” Van asked with a small pout as she sat on my bed and curled up with my pillow. I shook my head.

                “Rome asked for me to come and meet the other teachers. Since the studio isn’t fully ready yet, he wants us to get to know each other and form a bond or something.” I shrugged. “I gotta go, Van.”

                Her lower lip jutted out. “My baby sister is all grown up. What am I going to do now?”

                “Focus on your husband!” Hyukjin called out from their room across the hall.

                Van crinkled up her nose. “Don’t leave me with him, Tang, he’s so needy.”

                The apartment complex was rather simple. Nothing about it really stood out as “special” but I did see a sign hanging by the corner and pointing towards the side entrance for where the dance studio would be.

                Rome said it would be in the basement. They were renovating the entire thing so that it would look and feel appropriate for dance lessons. Before taking my stuff up to the apartment that Rome had text me saying it was officially mine, I decided to go check out what the studio looked like so far.

                I walked down the stairs that led down to what would probably be considered the foyer and front desk. It was small, but it was enough room for people to come and go. A couple discarded booth seats were stacked to the right, a large, rounded desk was leaning against the wall where it would most likely be set up once the studio was finished, and lots of brooms and mops were tossed around the floor from where people must have been trying to clean up the floors.

                Down the halls were small rooms where Rome had told me before that smaller classes would be held. Towards the back was the main studio room. At that moment, it was dark, and there really wasn’t anything any there except for a few long Ballet Barres nailed to the walls and mirrors plastered onto the walls.

                I could see myself dancing here. Teaching others how to dance, even. And that thought made me smile as I glanced around the room.

                “Are you just going to stand there looking like a lost puppy, or can I show you up to your room now?” I heard Rome call from behind me. I turned around to find him leaning against the doorway, hands shoved into his pockets. He smiled once I caught sight of him. “We’re all waiting for you, Miss Garner.”

                I rolled my eyes at him and followed him back up the stairs and over to my car.

                “Is this it?” he asked, gesturing towards the few boxes in the back seat.

                “Yep.” I called, going to the passenger side of the car and unlocking the door. “Oh, I have a question.”

                “What is it?”

                “Are pets allowed?”

                “Pets?” Rome looked up, giving me a rather confused look. I opened the passenger door and all four paws of my Boxer, Ranger, came jumping out. He circled around my legs eagerly before coming a halt to my left and looking up at me expectantly, waiting for his next command.

                I looked up and gave Rome a quick smile. “Did I forget to tell you about Ranger?”

                “Must have slipped your mind.” He rolled his eyes before opening the back door and grabbing a two boxes. “It’s fine though. As long as he’s house-trained.”

                “So trained. My dad’s a K9 officer.”

                “That must have been nice for first dates.” Rome laughed as he gestured for me to follow him after I had grabbed the two remaining boxes.

                I rolled my eyes. “Oh yeah, the few that I had.”

                The elevator was broken—go figure—so we had to take the steps to the third floor. Ranger spread out on the ground as soon as Rome unlocked the apartment. We set the boxes down and since it wasn’t too much, I decided that I would just unpack later.

                “You’ve got running water, the air-con works, heater works, and internet will be up by next week.” Rome said, leaning down to scratch Ranger’s belly.

                I groaned playfully. “No internet? How will I survive?”

                “You didn’t move in last month like the rest of us, don’t even.” Rome warned, pointing a finger at me and laughing. He stood up and stretched his arms out. “Anyway, I’ve got some business to go take care of, so I’ll catch you later. Don’t be surprised if people randomly barge in here, okay? There’s no boundaries.”

                I was putting of the few pictures I had when my first “guest” arrived.

                Ranger barked once to announce that someone was in the apartment then stood at attention, waiting for me to react. I stood there for a moment, not exactly knowing what to do.

                Clearly from their loud voices that I could hear even from down the hall in my bedroom, I could tell they were speaking Korean, fluently and quickly. They were both guys from the tone of their voices. Young, too. Younger than me?

                Slowly, I walked down the hall towards the living room and kitchen. The two guys were digging through the pantry and fridge.

                No, wait.

                They were filling them up.

                Oh.

                “Hi.” I said shyly, standing awkwardly to the side.

                They both turned and grinned at me and I blinked in surprise. They looked so much alike. I mean, I could easily tell them apart, but there were definitely strong similarities.

                “Hey.” One of them said, leaning against the counter and letting the other carry on with all of their work. “We went out grocery shopping and got you some stuff, hope you like ramen.”

                I smiled and walked towards them. “I love it, thanks.”

                He gestured towards himself. “I’m Jongin, but everyone calls me Kai.”

                “I’m—“

                “Tang, we know.” The other said, finishing up with stacking the food in the fridge and turning to Kai. “We should go. She probably has a lot to do.”

                Kai nodded and turned back to me. “If you need anything, we’re just next door.”

                As they turned to leave, I realized that the other guy hadn’t introduced himself.

                “I didn’t get your name.” I said, walking them to the front door. He turned and smiled, leaning against the doorsill.

                “You’ve got to earn that.”

 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

second chapter is up~

i'm sure you can all guess who the "mystery" guy is XD if not, then please just wait a little while, ok?

thanks for reading~