Goodbye Summer

Goodbye Summer

The sky was slowly turning orange as the sun was setting, that beautiful summer afternoon. Despite the fact that it was the hottest season of the year, that afternoon, a cool breeze could be felt. Bomi shivered slightly as a soft gust of wind brushed over her, so she approached to her window with the intention of closing it. When she was about to do it, a yellow leaf suddenly landed on her hand. A sad smile appeared on her face as she came to the realization that summer was almost over.

A sigh escaped from her lips as she finally closed the window and walked back to her desk to continue doing her stuff. However, she could no longer concentrate. Her mind had suddenly drifted back to that summer. Still lost in her memories, she opened the last drawer of her desk and took something out of it. It was an old album of photos and she opened it slowly.

Another sad smile appeared on her face as she traced her slender fingers over the photograph on that page. A lot of memories came rushing to her mind and her heart started aching. Little did she know she was already crying, until a tear dropped over the album.

"I miss you, Kyungsoo" she said softly as she wiped the tears from her eyes. The picture she was staring at, showed a young and happy Bomi on her graduation day and even though it was the last day of school, she still seemed happy. Standing next to her, was him. He was also smiling, but unlike Bomi, sadness could be seen in his eyes. He had an arm around Bomi's shoulder and she had her arm behind his back as they both smile towards the camera, holding their diplomas with the their free hands.

 

"I know you want to cry" she had back then

"What?! Of course not!" he said, a little bit startled and embarrassed that she had suddenly said that. Bomi simply chuckled.

"You are just holding back because you are a guy" Bomi said sweetly. Kyungsoo only looked down slightly blushed. There was no way he could hide something from Bomi. After all, they were best friends and they knew each other more than anyone else.

"Oh come on Kyungsoo, you don't need to hold back in front of me" she said as she smiled to him "Besides it's ok to cry, today is our last day in school"

 

Bomi smiled as she closed the photo album and then sighed. It would hurt too much to keep on staring at all of the pictures of her and him. They became friends one day she arrived late to school. He was the new student and didn't know where to go and since she arrived late she was the only one who could help him. At the end, they were both scolded for talking in the hallways when they should be in class, but became friends since then.

They soon became best friends and they were so close to each other that people tended to mistake their relationship, but that was until he left one summer. Ever since then, she hadn't hear from him and she still regrets not telling him to stay. And she also regrets not telling him she actually loved him more than a friend.

Bomi sighed once again as she laid in her bed as she stared at the ceiling. Ever since he left, summer had always been the saddest season for her. Because everything reminded her of him. It reminded her of the perfect summer they spent together before he had to leave.

 

"Bomi ah" he suddenly told her that day, after their graduation. After the ceremony ended, they decided to go for a walk in the park near their school. They sat down on the bench quietly as Bomi looked at him, waiting for him to continue speaking "Let's spend our summer together"

Bomi looked at him weirdly and simply chuckled. She didn't understand why he was suddenly saying that.

"Kyungsoo we see each other everyday" she said "Summer doesn't have to be different"

"No, what I mean is..." he made a pause as he suddenly looked down "Let's enjoy every single day of this summer as if it was the last one"

She smiled and nodded happily and Kyungsoo also smiled. That moment, she didn't realize his words meant something deeper than she thought. 

"Then buy me ice cream" she said suddenly like a little kid. His eyes widened slightly at the sudden request, but he then chuckled. Of course, Bomi would say something like that.

"Your wish is my comand" he said and she jumped from her seat excited. Kyungsoo chuckled once again as the two of them walked towards the ice cream vendor. After he paid for them, they started walking again. They walked silently next to each other, simply on their ice creams and staring at the beautiful sunset.

Days passed by fastly, much to their dismay, and summer was almost over. Just as they promised, they spent every day together as if it was the last one. They went out to walk in the park, went to the beach, went camping and many other things. Despite the fact that it was terribly hot and that Kyungsoo hated sweating as much as Bomi did, they enjoyed themselves.

What was important to them was that they could be together. Bomi loved spending time with him. Not only because he was her best friend, also because she was in love with him. She didn't even know when or how she started falling in love with him, she just knew they were no other person she'd rather be with.

That afternoon, they were walking in the beach. The weather was cooler now that summer was almost ending, so it was the perfect time to go the beach. They walked next to each other on the sand, holding their shoes to prevent them from getting wet. Bomi loved to feel the sand under her feet and how the waves slowly brushed her feet gently. Kyungsoo, on the other hand, simply loved to watch the sky turn orange as he walked next to her.

"Bomi... there's something I've been wanting to tell you for a long time" Kyungsoo suddenly said and Bomi looked at him surprised. Her heart starting to beat faster as her imagination started making up possible scenarios in which he confessed his love for her. However, she shook away those thoughts inmediately, feeling embarrassed for being so delusional.

"W-What is it Kyungsoo?" she asked. She never meant to stutter, but she couldn't help it. Kyungsoo looked down and sighed, unable to face Bomi.He then sighed and Bomi knew in that moment that what was coming next, couldn't be good.

"Now that I already finished school... my parents want us to leave" he said and her eyes widened "I told them I didn't want to go, but they told me we had to. So they only gave this summer to say goodbye... but now that summer is over, I cannot postpone it anymore"

Tears threatened to fall from Kyungsoo's eyes, just like the day of their graduation day, but he held them back once again. Bomi, on the other hand, was too shocked to react. Something inside her heart suddenly broke and she knew there wasn't anything that could fix it.

"Do you really have to go?" she asked hurt and Kyungsoo nodded. Deep inside, she wanted to say something else. She wanted to tell him to stay, but she knew she couldn't be selfish. Away, he could be with his parents and he could pursue a better future. Another part of her wanted to finally tell him she loved him and that she had fallen in love with him a long time ago. However, saying it wouldn't change things. It wouldn't change the fact that he would leave.

"Yes Bbom, I wish I didn't have to... but I have no other choice" he said and tears finally felt from her eyes. They stopped walking and stood there. Bomi couldn't stop crying, even if she didn't want to cry anymore and Kyungsoo suddenly pulled her into his arms and hugged her tightly. Time seemed to have stopped in that moment. How they wished time could stop forever. 

That summer afternoon Bomi cried her heart out and Kyungsoo hugged her tightly as he cried as well, under the beautiful sunset as they said goodbye to the summer and to each other.

 

Bomi's thoughts were suddenly interrupted when the bell of the door suddenly rang. She wiped the remaining tears from her eyes and slightly fixed herself in front of the mirror. She couldn't let anyone see her in that state. After some minutes, she walked down the stairs and opened the door.

"Hi Bbom!" a cheerful voice said. Bomi smiled at the sight of her best friend, Chorong. She stood in the doorway with bright smile next to her boyfriend Joonmyun, who smiled gently towards Bomi when she openened the door.

"Hey guys, what are you doing here?" she asked with curiosity. 

"We came to take you somewhere" Chorong cheerfully said as she put an arm around her shoulder and Joonmyun chuckled. "Joonmyun's friend owns a restaurant that has a karaoke and we thought we should take you there so that you can cheer up a bit"

Chorong, being Bomi's current best friend, knew everything about her and about Kyungsoo so she knew she got depressed during that time of the year. Bomi simply sighed. She wanted to turn down the offer, but she didn't want to be rude with her friends who just wanted to cheer her up.

"I don't want to be a third wheel" she said and the couple chuckled 

"It's going to be a friend's night, I promise" Chorong said, even if everyone knew she and Joonmyun would eventually get all lovey dovey. 

"I don't know... I'm not in the mood to sing anyway" she said and Chorong smacked her head slightly

"No more excuses Yoon Bomi" she said sternly and Bomi sighed once again

"Fine I'll go" she said defeated and her friends smiled.

"You'll have fun, you'll see" Joonmyun said with a smile.

Bomi only looked at them and sighed. She appreciated the fact that they were trying to help, but she was really not in the mood.

The restaurant was nice and cozy, but what Bomi didn't expect was that the so called 'karaoke' wasn't a in a private room, but in front of everyone else. As they walked in, she saw a person on the stage singing along the lyrics of a well known song and suddenly felt the desire to run away. She did not wish to sing in front of everyone. Specially, not in that mood.

"I'm not going to sing in front of everyone!" Bomi complained to Chorong, who just chuckled

"Fine, then just listen" she said and Bomi sighed. No matter what she said, Chorong wasn't going to let her leave anyway. The three of them went to look for a table and sat down. They took their order and as they waited for their meals to arrive, they listened to the people sing. Some were good, others not so much, but Bomi was actually started feeling a little bit more distracted now.

"May I have your attention please" a person said as he went on the stage. "I'd really like to dedicate this song I wrote for a really special person with a really close friend of mine"

Bomi could swear that the voice sounded rather familiar to her, but maybe she was just going crazy. Her attention drifted towards the stage and she tried to see the person's face, but she couldn't since their table was quite away from the stage. A girl came out and held the other mic, before the music started playing and they both started singing.

 

The friend label is a lable that I got to hate

The feelings I've hid still remain as a painful secret memory

The phots that can't define our relationship is a heartbreaking story

I'm sorry, summer, now goodbye, yeah

 

Baby oh no oh oh

I'm sorry that this is a  monologue

Oh, actually, I love you, yeah

If only our long-time hidded secrets were revealead

I would hold you in my arms

 

Tears started to fall from Bomi's eyes as realization finally hit her. She was still too shocked to find out that the person on the stage was no other than Do Kyungsoo, the person she had been wanting to see for such a long time. He was back and in front of her and it all seemed like a dream to her. 

When the song finished, everyone clapped excited, but Bomi still couldn't process what was happening. She inmediately stood up from her seat and walked towards the stage as her heart beated like crazy. She finally reached the stage when he and the other girl were walking down. When she finally saw that it was really him, she felt something in her heart.

"K-Kyungsoo... it's really you" she said softly, but still in shock. Kyungsoo looked up and a wide smile appeared on his face. They stood there in front of each other for a long time, not knowing what to do. 

"It's been a long time" he said and she nodded, wiping the tears that were forming in her eyes.

"Oh I forgot to introduce you" he said face palming himself "Bomi, this is Luna... Luna, this is Bomi"

The two girls looked at each other and smiled. Bomi suddenly felt a pain in her heart, thinking that maybe she was the special person she sang that song for. Besides, they seemed close anyway and it broke her heart.

"Hi" she simply managed to say

"I'll leave you two alone, you guys need to catch up" she said with smile as she left the two of them. Once they were alone, Bomi smiled towards him and he smiled back.

"How have you been doing?" she asked him. They kind of lost contact after he left, so they knew nothing about each other's life.

"I've been fine" he said "What about you?"

"Me too" she said and with that, they didn't know what to say anymore. The atmostphere was awkward and they could feel it. After being apart for such a long time, they were lost and didn't know what to say.

"That song you sang... it's really beautiful" she suddenly said looking down and Kyungsoo smiled. "Luna is a really lucky girl"

"Why do you think that song is for her?" he suddenly asked with his eyes slightly widened with surprise. Bomi looked up confused. If that song wasn't for Luna then who did he sang it for?

"I-I don't know" she said, feeling slightly nervous for having asked that question "You guys seem close"

"Luna is just a friend, who agreed to help me deliver this song to a special someone" he said chuckling slightly and she was surprised. She suddenly didn't know what to say and she felt embarrassed for mistakening their relationship. "The song was for you, Bomi"

"What?!" she asked shocked, suddenly taken aback by the confession. Her cheeks turned slightly red and she still couldn't believe what she was hearing.

"I regret leaving without telling you what I really felt about you, Bomi" he said sweetly and she suddenly felt as if her dream was finally coming true. Hearing those words she had been longing to hear for such a long time, made her tear up of happiness. "I love you"

"Do Kyungsoo, you fool" she suddenly said and he was taken aback. Why was she calling him a fool? However, when Bomi smiled towards him, all his doubts disappeared. "I love you too and I spent every single one of my summers regretting not asking you to stay and telling you I loved you"

Kyungsoo chuckled slightly and then smiled sincerely, before pulling her into a tight hug. Feeling each other so close after such a long time felt good and they wished time could stop in that second.

That summer afternoon, Bomi cried, but this time she cried of happiness. Kyungsoo hugged her tightly and he smiled, as they said goodbye to the summer, just like they said goodbye to each other that day in the past. The only difference was that now, instead of saying goodbye to each other, they were saying hello. And just like summer ended, their love story began.