Candles

Candles

A/N: I don't know if I should write a prequel. :) Enjoy. 

 

 

Candles

"Giving up is easy, but moving on is the hardest part." 

 

Yoseob stayed in his small apartment when the storm began. The power lines then went out, leaving him all alone in the darkness. Knowing where things are placed, he d his way to his surroundings, going to the kitchen to get the candles. The boy opened a drawer, and grabbed two to three candles just to make sure. He knew it was going to be a long night, just waiting for the electricity to be back. Yoseob also grabbed a match, something to light the candles. 

 

He crouched down on the floor of the living room, getting a match from the box, and softly light it, making sparks be seen. Yoseob grabbed a candle, and lighted it by the lit match. The light it radiated was warm, and the colors that Yoseob saw made his eyes sparkle. He likes fire, it's enticing when the flame would form different shapes, where its end would try to spread its flame, and the colors would vary from red to blue.

 

He tilted the candle, having the flame melt the candle, and the candle drippings fell on the floor. He quickly placed the base of the candle to it, while the drippings are still wet. Then it stood still, making him glad. Yoseob then repeats the process with the remaining two candles. He looked at the fire radiated from the three candles, and immediately feels warm in the inside. 

 

The boy then sat on the floor, his legs crossed, as he extended his hands to the light. His hands began to feel warm, unlike the coldness that the room contained because of the storm outside. The storm was like the heaven's anger, or simply reflecting Yoseob's inside. He was in a battle of emotions, a storm, where everything seemed so lost, and the waves clashing to each other. Yoseob was lost, lost in his everyday battle against his self, reasoning versus love. 

 

Said boy looked at the flame, hugged his knees, rested his arms, and then his head. Funny, it's like he wasn't crying awhile ago, he thought. The flame must be comforting him, and he smiled at this. Then he heard his phone ring. He looked at the screen, and a sudden sadness overflowed in him. He rejected the call, and hugged his knees tighter.

 

He doesn't want to care anymore, especially if it's the one who he loved, yet broke his heart, Yong Junhyung. He felt the urge to cry again, but held it back. He looked at the flame again, and memories of him and Junhyung started to flow in him. 

 

Yoseob hated himself, for falling for a man named Yong Junhyung. He hated himself, for being so stupid. He remembered the things he have done for Junhyung, working himself to death just to be better, better than Hyunseung whom Junhyung likes, but only have his efforts unnoticed. Junhyung's attention was still on Hyunseung, and Yoseob blamed himself for that. He thought he wasn't getting better, so he strive to be better in Junhyung's eyes. All for the reason to make Junhyung notice him. 

 

This process killed him, dancing till his muscles ached, even fainting sometimes, and singing until he can't sing the next day. But did his efforts made any change at all? No, Junhyung still looked at Hyunseung, which despaired him even more. So when Junhyung told him not to dance anymore, he felt something break. His confidence wavered, thinking that Junhyung must disliked his dancing. He suddenly started hating the way his body moves, thus him creating mistakes in their practice dances, which brought him to hate his body more. 

 

So he thought that he can only excel in singing, and he did. He believed he did. He sang higher notes than Hyunseung, more powerful and emotional than anybody else in Beast. He poured his heart out, hoping Junhyung would notice him. Junhyung did notice him, but only for a moment. He praised him, though Junhyung went back to Hyunseung. Yoseob felt hurt by this, but he can't be happier enough, for Junhyung finally praised him. At least he was making progress.

 

So he started joining in some shows, like the Immortal Song. He was worried that he won't sing well, but Junhyung's soft cheering encouraged him. But it's still wasn't enough. Junhyung still see Hyunseung, eventhough Junhyung also have a one-sided love for Hyunseung. Yes, both of their love seemed stupid. Hyunseung and Kikwang was together, Junhyung likes Hyunseung, and Yoseob likes Junhyung. It was stupid isn't it? But it was also pitiful. 

 

Then Junhyung broke Yoseob's hopes again. He said to him not to sing anymore. This pained Yoseob, for if he can't sing, what more could he be? He relied on singing alone, now that he can't even dance. Then he cried, cried in front of Junhyung. He demanded why, but Junhyung didn't answer him. He was already in the hospital because of his voice box, and still he won't notice that his efforts would be digging his own grave. He got depressed, locking his self in his room, not bothering to go down from his bed. He wouldn't even eat, much less drink.Yoseob felt like the whole world was against him. He was now afraid to step on to the new world, a world where Junhyung wouldn't even notice him. But just when Yoseob was beginning to fall to utmost despair, Junhyung comes and gives him a false hope.

 

Junhyung then starts to spend time with him than before, which made Yoseob happy. Junhyung helped him, but it reality it was unnecessary. Yoseob can help himself, but due to the fact that he believe that if Junhyung's not there, he can't do it. So they spent more time together, Yoseob finds him falling for Junhyung more than ever before, and hopes that he doesn't see Hyunseung anymore.

 

But his hopes were shattered again when Kikwang and Hyunseung fought, just when they got home from their dinner. Hyunseung ran away, Kikwang chased him, and Junhyung was about to, but Yoseob held his hand. He pleaded for him not to chase Hyunseung, also confessing his feelings at the same time. Yoseob felt vulnerable as he waited for Junhyung's answer. Tears were flowing. Then he got broken by Junhyung's words, saying that he can't, for he's not Hyunseung. He felt like dying. 

 

Yoseob let go of Junhyung's hand, and Junhyung leaves him all alone. Then he broke down. Crying his heart out, the burden he kept for a long time. Doojoon and Dongwoon saw him there, asking what's wrong, why is he crying, and stuff. He said just give him some time, and he'll be back to his usual bubbly self. So they left him alone despite their protests. 

 

That's why he was here, the apartment he used to live. He and Doojoon had a deal, he just need a day, and he'll be alright. But a day is far from someone who have his heart broken, so Doojoon gave him a week. No one but the leader knows where Yoseob was.

 

It was his seventh day now, his six days were spent in crying. He puffed his cheeks, for he was sobbing again. Yoseob remembered the bitter memories, he felt bitter towards Hyunseung. He hugged himself, trying to stay in reality. He tells himself that not to be hurt, and screams when his negative side tells himself to hate everything, hate Hyunseung for stealing Junhyung. He cries again, and lies on the floor. He catches his breath, and stared at the flame emitted by the candles.
 

 

He was beginning to lose sight of himself. All because of Junhyung. In normality, anyone can hate Junhyung in this kind of situation, but the only one who should hate him, can't. Yoseob love Junhyung too much, that's why he hated himself, rather than Junhyung.

 

Yoseob sighed, this was exhausting him. He wondered why he loved Junhyung of all people, why he began to love, if pain's only what you'll get. His eyes felt droopy. Loving was beginning to tire him. 

 

"It was time to move on."
 

 

He always thought of giving up, but he always held on, because he kept remembering the reason why he held on for so long. The reason was Junhyung, but if Junhyung can't love him because he's not Hyunseung, then it's just useless. He rose from the floor and sat up. 
 

He have given up, and it was time to move on. Yoseob grabbed a candle, and held it. Wincing when the wax melted and dripped on him. He compared himself to the candle. Yoseob was like the candle, dependent to the person that would light him, that can be it's strength and weakness. Strength in a way that the person gives him the flame that would lit the darkness, that would give anybody warmth. Yoseob's strength was like that too, Junhyung lights him, giving him motivation to be better. Weakness, that the strength would be the end of the candle. It would melt in the end, despite it's strength. Yoseob was too, his wish for Junhyung to notice him dug his own grave, destroying his inside and out. He blew that candle, as a representation of his realization, and a symbol of letting go of doing things that would destroy him, just because he wanted Junhyung to notice him.

 

He grabbed the second lit candle, and thought of Junhyung. Junhyung was like this candle. It warms him, but getting too close would harm him. He was like hope when someone loses their way, and was like a star that can never be reached. He lived without Junhyung, and he can also live without him now. He doesn't need to hope anymore, for he have already accepted the fact that Junhyung would never love him. They were only friends, and bandmates at least. It could never be more than that. He blew the second candle, as the actualization occurs. It might seem like he was only running away and giving up, but he have already enough. When you try so much for a person, it doesn't seem worth it when that person doesn't notice and appreciate it. So it was fine to give up, he gave it all, and he no longer need to regret. 

 

 Yoseob gingerly grabbed the last candle, and gazed at it longingly. It was the last thing he would gave up, his love for Junhyung. Suddenly, the feeling in his heart became warm when he thought of him. "Goodbye, Junhyung-ah. Maybe one day, you'll learn to love me, but by that time, I will no longer love you," he thought. 

 

Yoseob felt a tear drop. He inhaled, and blew the candle. The burden he held on for so long suddenly was light. He smiled for the first time in weeks. He have already seen the light, and he thinks he'll be alright. The darkness was no more.

 

"I loved you, Junhyung," he said in his thoughts, as he blew the last candle awhile ago. After a storm, there would be a rainbow, and the sun will still shine again.