Marry Your Daughter (SeoLay)

SEOEXO story collection

Marry Your Daughter

“So, Zhang Yixing. What is your purpose to come here?” Joonmyun stared at Lay, started from his hair, down to his feet.

Lay didn’t dare to lift up his face. His left hand gripped the another hand, his body was stuttered, sweat dripped down his face. He kept his head down, Joonmyun’s stare was killing him.

Like a protective father should be (Joonmyun kept insisting that he act like a good father should be), he glared to his (not yet) future son-in-law. Which made Seohyun even tensed. Even Naeun’s coming with a tray of beverage and snack didn’t make any difference – the situation was just the same.

“Zhang Yixing, do you hear me?” Joonmyun repeated his question. Lay who was out of focus jerked as Joonmyun raised his tone. Wow, he should’ve prepared before. Lay thought that Joonmyun was a good father like Seohyun always told him before – the truth, Joonmyun was the opposite.

But before Lay could find his courage, apparently Joonmyun was out of patience. Seohyun became more worried, as she eyed Lay with a ‘do-something’ look. Lay nodded once. He cleared his throat, so he’ll be able to speak better. As the silence took the entire room, he started talking.

“Sir, pardon me for being so nervous today but, I’d like to take this opportunity to talk about the relationship between me and your daughter, Seohyun.”

Naeun pulled her sister closer to her, feeling happy that finally Lay found his courage. But still, it didn’t change Joonmyun’s frown. “I... Uh, we’ve been together since three years ago. And... I think it’s better for the two of us to continue this relationship to the higher step.” Lay stuttered, he was out of breath.

Joonmyun frowned. “Talk to the point. I don’t like people who talk too much.”

The younger lad lifted up his face, dared himself to look right into the (not yet) future father-in-law ‘s eye. “I want to marry your daughter.”

Seohyun glanced at Lay, smiling happily. She can remember about last Saturday night. The way her boyfriend knelt down in front of her, offering a small box which contained a tiny yet beautiful ring to her on the park. When Lay stuttered, struggling to say a “Will you marry me” in his broken Korean which Seohyun found it cute. But this time, Lay spoke better Korean.

“Tell me the reason.” Joonmyun said in serious tone. Lay became thoughtful for a while, there are many reasons floating within his brain waiting to be said, but there was only one reason that Lay wanted to say. “Because I loved her, sir. I loved her, because I need her. I loved her because I want to protect her. I loved her not because I want to live with her, but it’s because I can’t live without her.”

The older narrowed his eyes. “What makes you good enough to marry my daughter? Why did you choose my daughter?”

And accidentally, Lay locked his eyes with Seohyun’s. Suddenly his fear disappeared, as he began to talk. “I am just a simple businessman, but I’m willing to do anything for her. I can guarantee her future with me, sir. There are a lot woman in this world, but she’s the only black pearl among those white pearls. And...” Lay gazed into Seohyun’s eyes once more.

“Because she’s special, very special in my eyes. I want to marry your eldest daughter, and make her the mother of my future children. I hope you’ll consider it. Thank you sir.” and Lay stopped his speech, feeling the need to take a deep breath.

Seohyun glanced at her father worrily, her pulse beat faster and faster. The fact that Joonmyun had never agree to their relationship made her felt somehow uncertain that Lay will get her father’s permission. But still, you won’t know until you try, right?

“Zhang Yixing. Please take a note that if not for the sake of my daughter Seohyun, I might have kicked you out of my house already. But still, if you can guarantee my daughter’s happiness with you, I will trust you my daughter. Remember, if you make my daughter shed tears, I will not hesitate to break your bones. I expect you to cherish this chance.”

That moment when you realized when your effort wasn’t useless at all. Naeun can feel her sister’s happiness, as she hoped that Taemin will do the same for her. Seohyun was so lucky to have Lay.

The moonlight shone the porch, Seohyun was enjoying the night’s wind swaying her smooth hair. She closed her eyes, a three-years effort apparently wasn’t useless at all. (Joonmyun never liked Lay before, and perhaps someday her father will open his heart for Lay, Seohyun hoped)

A step was approaching her, which made Seohyun turned her body automatically, by instinc. That was Lay, with his tuxedo no longer neat anymore – he rolled his shirt’s sleeve to the elbow. Maybe Joonmyun asked him to do the dish or something, poor Lay, Seohyun thought.

“Hey. What’s up?” Seohyun grinned, as she enjoyed the night’s scenery again. Lay approached and stood next to her. “Well, your father is a great father after all. He kept nagging when I washed the dish. He told me that I have to be careful or else I’ll break his precious plate.” judging from his tone, she knew that he was being sarcasm.

Seohyun chuckled “You’ll get used by him someday, he hated to see any mortal called male entering our house. He wanted to protect us, that’s all.” Lay chuckled in turn. “Really.”

“So.” Seohyun moved closer. “Were the things you said earlier true? That was the first time you complimented me like that.” she pouted. “Well, I’m not a cheesy person though.” Lay giggled shyly. “No, Lay. That was romantic.” Seohyun smiled in sincere.

There was nothing else that Seohyun expected for, when slowly Lay’s arms embraced her, and leaned over her lips. Seohyun closed her eyes, as Lay’s lips touched hers. They shared their sweet kiss, just two lips moving together and no lust involved.

“You! How dare you!” and Lay released his hug, to meet Joonmyun’s eyes which were glaring at him.

And perhaps, tonight he should’ve prepared for supplement, or vitamin for extra energy. Because right now he was currently avoiding Joonmyun who was trying to catch him. Lay and Joonmyun ran around the dining table, earning a laugh from Naeun and Seohyun, as the two girls wishing that tonight’s happiness will stay like that forever.