Chapter 7

That Simple

Thank you for those who have read, commented, subscribed, and even voted 'That Simple' also a huge shoutout to UShaby for creating the beautiful poster.


I yawned, gradually pulling the clipboard closer to my chest. Day one of preparations went along without another wink of sleep but I have to be able to go around to manage the decorations and everything else. “Metallic black or jet black?” The Advanced ballet class was going to be performing a number on the classic performance ‘Swan Lake’ with help from the normal course students.

I pondered over the color scheme shown to me, thinking of the possibilities in my head. “Jet black, but mix some metallic in it for the tutu. Some rhinestones would be a good decorations too, but keep it dark or neutral colors.” Jihyun’s voice from behind cut in, expressing her ideas in a clear tone. I tuned to face her and the saw a girl next to her.

 She had her wavy hair tied into two identical low pigtails that perch cutely on both shoulders, her facial features petite and feminine, doe-eyes that screamed curiosity and pure innocence with an aura of a child radiating from her.

The ballerina in the making had scurried off to notify of the color scheme to her classmates by the time I had a really good look at her. “Jihyun, shouldn’t you be showing her around?” I asked casually, quickly scanning over the list at hand. “I am showing her around Yoon,” Jihyun answered. “But I couldn’t help but overhear.”

I rolled my eyes at her excuses; I had a feeling she was actually looking for me. “Well, if you see Mr. Jung, tell him that normal course choir could use some help.” I made a note on my sticky pad that I had asked Jihyun to check on him and stuck in on my clipboard.

“Consider it done.” Jihyun mocked saluted and went along with her touring. I sighed, deciding to do something more welcoming for the transfer student.

“Oh and Lee Jieun?” I made her stop and turn to look at me. “Enjoy your days here.” I smiled and she beamed, bowing respectfully. “Please take care of me!” She exclaimed.

Jihyun gave me an approving smirk before taking Jieun’s attention back to the tour. She seems nice.

“That was Jieun?” Eunkwang appeared out of nowhere, leaning his elbow on my shoulder. I jumped in impulse and slapped his arm playfully though not answering his question. “She seems nice.” He concluded. Boy, he has no idea I thought the same.

“Why are you here?” I started on nagging him. “BTOB has practice!” I reminded him, showing him the schedule to special course’s practice sessions. “Quickly! Choreography now!” I hurried him away playfully.

Eunkwang laughed, “Alright, alright, I’m already gone!” I laughed at the male who hurried away with hands in his pants pockets. I shook my head to ease off my laughter and walked away to deal with the other details regarding this grand festival I need taken cared of.

By the time lunch rolled in I had finished a handful of tasks that needed to be done. I groaned, laying my head on the table, too tired to function properly. “Kill me.” I mumbled under my breath. “That’s dirty,” Dasom pointed out, munching on her salad. I groaned again, not caring.

Hyolyn let out a small giggle as she ate her lunch daintily. Lunch was basically just the heaven where we all not only get our fair share of free food but also have everyone from each course get along, though my table only consisted of 4Minute and SISTAR from the advanced course, Soyu is a member of SISTAR so getting along with the rest of them was a walk in the park.

“Unnie, don’t you have practice after this?” Hyuna asked, playing with her food instead of eating it. My mind quickly drifted to when I had to go check on Mr. Jung and he said that I was to be expected in the music room after lunch with Yoseob to practice right away instead of our designated time at five.

I groaned and mumbled incoherent in response.

xxx

I sat on the piano bench, randomly pressing the keys in pure boredom. As instructed, both Yoseob and I had arrived in the music room waiting for Mr. Jung who is taking forever just to show up. Deciding that it was getting a waste of time, I practiced my pitch with the help of the trusty piano before me.

Yoseob who had been rolling on the floor decided to stop and join me, the sweetness of his voice blending in with mine.

We ended up going higher and higher in a competition of high notes, both of us fully capable of beating the other but we had to end the competition at its peak when Mr. Jung stopped us.

“Please, you’ll have time for competitions later. It’s time to practice!” Yoseob and I let out a series of protests in an attempt to convince him so we can pick up from where we left off in our little contest. Mr. Jung showed not a single chance of wavering and ended taking over the piano faster than we could say ‘supercalifragilisticexpialidocious’ but then again it is a very long thing to say.

“Come on you two, I already gave you the demo.” He said, readying his music sheets. I sighed in defeat and stood in front of the piano, my own sheet in hand.

Mr. Jung started the intro smoothly and I took a deep breath to ready myself, “If I have a boyfriend—” Mr. Jung cut off the music and simultaneously cut me off in the process. I gave him a bewildered look that he responded kindly to by ignoring it. “I need you to act the part.” He instructed vaguely.

“Excuse me?” I choked, unable to fully understand his instructions though I wasn’t the only one seeing how Yoseob looked questioningly at him.

Mr. Jung rolled his eyes at our responses. “Clearly you two aren’t in acting.” I heard him mumble under his breath, I pouted and opened my mouth to protest when he cut me off again. “You know, wish for a lover!” He exclaimed. “Make it look believable. You’re single, you’re lonely, and you really want a lover. Just be a lot more dreamy and less depressing-sounding.” I nodded, some-what understanding his vision. “Don’t just sing.”

I nodded again, showing my understanding. He hummed in triumph and let his hands dance on the keys. “One more time.”

xxx

“Maybe we should add a choreography?” Yoseob pondered, leaning his elbows on my desk. “I guess that would be a better idea,” I replied, eyes not leaving the screen as I kept typing.

“Hey, eyes off the screen, if you’re going to the emergency room because of your eyes again don’t expect me to be there.” I felt him pout. I let out a chuckle in response and looked away from the screen, “It was from a name tag, come on.” He didn’t look the least bit convinced and spun my chair away from the screen to face him.

“But you know, it’s not like we can magically create a choreography for a song like this.” I added.

The song itself is a sappy love song with a tune that doesn’t exactly need choreography to accompany it. Yoseob took a second to think of a good comeback and failed miserably, pouting as he laid his head on my desk. I patted his head and turned my head back to the screen. “Stop looking at the screen.” He said again but this time I ignored him.