Should I ask her or not?

Love In The Ice

“Nana-ssi here are the flyers for the semi-formal,” E-young said as she handed a flyer to Nana.

Nana looked at the flyer inspecting it carefully. E-young nervously stood there waiting for Nana’s approval.

She looked up from the flyer and handed it back to E-young.

“What do you think?” E-young asked.

Nana smiled softly. “They’re nice. You can post them around the school.”

“Thank you,” E-young said relieved.

She left with Kaeun handing out the flyers to students and posting them around the school.

Nana took a sip of her juice. It was lunch and she was sitting in the cafeteria alone. Seohyun was sick and she had no idea where Lizzy was. After a while of eating lunch by herself, a bag plopped onto the table followed by an out-of-breath girl.

“Sorry I’m late,” Lizzy said as she sat down to catch her breath.

“It’s fine. Where were you?” Nana asked curious as to why Lizzy was so tired.

“I was writing a test and when I left the classroom I was going to text you except I couldn’t find my phone. I searched everywhere for it,” Lizzy explained.

“Did you find it?”

“Yes! Thankfully someone turned it to the lost and found,” Lizzy replied taking her phone out of her bag to show to Nana.

“Well good thing you found it,” Nana said.

“Where is everyone?” Lizzy asked as she noticed they were the only two at the table.

“Seohyun’s sick and Kaeun and E-young are posting the flyers for the semi-formal around the school,” she responded.

Lizzy slowly nodded.

“I’m going to go get lunch I’ll be back,” she told Nana as she got up from her seat.

While Lizzy was buying her lunch, Nana was contemplating whether or not to ask Lizzy to go with her to the semi-formal dance. Would she go with me? How would I even ask her? Do I just say it outright or do I beat around the bush? These questions were running through Nana’s mind. She quickly evaporated her thoughts once Lizzy sat down at the table.

“So Lizzy,” Nana began trying to get Lizzy’s attention.

Lizzy looked at Nana waiting for her to continue.

“What are you wearing to the semi-formal dance?” Nana asked.

“Oh I don’t know yet. I didn’t bring any dresses with me when I came here,” Lizzy replied shyly.

“That’s not a problem. We could go shopping. I’m sure the other girls also need dresses,” she said.

“Do you know what you’re wearing?” Lizzy asked in return.

Nana shook her head. “We should go shopping soon. It’ll be fun.”

Lizzy smiled at Nana’s suggestion.

All day Nana was trying to prepare herself to ask Lizzy to go with her to the dance. It was evening and they were both in their dorm room studying.  Nana bit her lip nervously. She didn’t want to disturb Lizzy because she looked so focused but if she didn’t then she would never get another chance to ask her.

“Lizzy…”

Lizzy looked up from her textbook.

“Yes Nana?”

“Are you going with anyone to the dance?” Nana asked.

“Nobody’s asked me yet, so the answer to your question is no,” Lizzy replied.

Nana nodded. Her heart was beating rapidly. She was pretty sure it was about to pop out of her chest. Why am I so nervous? I’m never nervous, Nana thought.

“Why were you asking?” Lizzy said. She noticed how Nana looked slightly shy. It was something Lizzy had never witnessed before.

“I-I was actually wondering if you would…would want to go to the dance with me…as my date?”