Tell me about...

Bedtime stories

 

 

There isn’t a single cloud in the night sky and the white light of the moon reaches into Hyukjae's room and illuminates the bed in which he and Donghae lies. The window is open just a tiny bit, letting the crisp autumn air pass through and Donghae fills his lunges before breathing out a sleepy sigh.

 

“Hyukjae” he says in a small voice. “Tell me the story about how the sun loved the moon so much, he died every night to let her breathe.”

 

The amused chuckle from the man by his side shakes the bed and Donghae turns to his side to watch him.

 

“I don’t know that one Hae.”

 

Donghae pouts a little and presses his nose into Hyukjae’s soft neck. Hyukjae knows the signs, and he knows he better figure out a story about the moon quickly or Donghae is going to run off in search of someone else who can.

 

“I know another one about the sun and the moon though. But it’s sort of sad:” he says.

“What can be more sad then dying for someone?” Donghae asks him with a lopsided smile.

 

“True.” Hyukjae says and takes hold of Donghae's hand to pull him closer. Donghae’s head is resting on Hyukjae’s chest and he can hear it rumble as Hyukjae starts telling him the story in a low voice.

 

“A long long time ago, there was a bright young man named Sun. He was tall with broad shoulders, his golden hair was long and his skin was tanned. He fell in love with a small, dark haired woman named Moon. She was the most beautiful woman the earth had ever seen and she had this sort of magical glow around her and the most amazing smile.”

 

“Kind of like Sora noona?” Donghae interrupts him, lifting his head up to look at him.

 

Hyukjae slowly combs his fingers through Donghae’s hair, making him fall back into his previous position. “Yes... just like noona.” he says.


Donghae smiles as he imagines what the woman would look like.

 

“Sun admired Moon from a distance, to afraid to approach her. What he didn’t know was that Moon had seen him and she had fallen for him at first sight. But their love was impossible. The Gods knew that if the two would be together it would be too much for the world to handle and they tried to explain this to the lovers.”

 

Hyukjae's voice doesn’t falter when he feels Donghae grip him harder, burying his face in Hyukjae’s clothed chest.

“But the couple were blinded by their feelings and did not want to listen. So the gods did what they had to do. They banished the young lovers from the earth and made them into heavenly bodies doomed for an eternity to chase each other across the sky. In the darkness of the night the Moon cries over her lost love and her tears turn into fallen stars.”

 

By now Hyukjae isn’t surprised to feel a small warm spot on his shirt and he knows Donghae is shedding his own tears. He holds him closer as he tells the ending of the story.

 

“Sometimes they manage to catch up to one another but when they do the world is in total darkness and the gods have to force them apart again because otherwise everything would perish.”

 

 

 

The moonlight seems even brighter as the story is finished and both men fall into a silence that is only broken by soft sniffles from Donghae.

 

“They are kind of like us don’t you think?” Donghae says after a while. “We were chasing after each other for so long, but something always kept us apart.”

 

Hyukjae turns his head towards him.

“You know sometimes you amaze me.” He says.

 

Donghae’s brows are furrowed and fresh tears make his eyes seem even bigger then usual. “Why?”

 

“That actually sounded clever.”

 

“YA!” Hyukjae’s statement earns him a harsh slap on his arm but he doesn’t mind. He has grown far to accustom to this. He giggles as he catches Donghae’s hand in his own, entwining their fingers and pulling Donghae so close that he can see the tiny wrinkles in the corner of his eyes.

 

“There’s one thing that’s different though.” He tells Donghae. “Once I caught up to you I didn’t let you go again and I never will. Even if the world turns black around us, we’ll still shine together.” His fingers are grazing over Donghae’s knuckles as he watches a big grin spread on the mans face.

 

“Wow…” Donghae says. “Hyukjae...that was…. sooooo cheesy.”

 

They both loose themselves in their laughter. Hugging one another until they managed to catch their breaths and Donghae inexplicably finds himself on top of Hyukjae, leaning on his elbows as he hovers over the thin frame underneath him.

 

“You like it when I’m cheesy though.” Hyukjae grins up at him. The moonlight is shining on his face and Donghae thinks his dark red lips have never looked more inviting.

 

“True” he whispers against those very lips as he lowers himself down onto his boyfriend’s body.