Reverse side of bad habits

That Bloody Staircase!

 

“That bloody cursed step – every time! One day someone will break their neck!”

 

 

 

Baekho was in the subway station. He had just stepped out of the wagon and was now walking towards the stairs to go up. Now I need to get to that park... buy an ice cream and- I'm gettin' carried away!

 

Anyway... those flowerbeds there – I need to get a shot of those.

 

***

 

There were just few more steps left to take; Baekho already saw the street. But there was a girl behind him who tripped over a certain step – there's always this one step, you know – and she dropped her coke which splashed all over the place. It really requires a skill to drop a can of coke like that. Some of the liquid also landed on Baekho's pants and on the girl's blouse.

 

Baekho turned around to look what was going on behind him.

 

„Ah! I'm so sorry!“ the girl started to apologize right away. She started to search for tissues from her handbag, but as she did it quite hastily, she pulled out more than just the tissues. Her wallet, keys, and some other items flew out from the bag and right onto these dirty stairs.

 

Baekho just looked at this scene, he didn't know what to do, how to act, as it happened so fast. At least he had enough sense in him that he helped the girl to pick up her things.

 

„It's OK. It can happen to anyone.“ Baekho said smiling at the girl as he had found his words.

 

The girl looked up and their eyes met. Both of them looked away right away as they blushed.

 

„H-here.“ Baekho gave the items he had picked up to the girl.

 

„Thank you.“ the girl took the things not looking at the boy in the eye anymore.

 

Both of them got up quickly. Baekho wanted to say something -  anything! - but nothing good came up to his mind so he just followed the girl up to the street.

 

Baekho heard the girl mutter: „Where will I get a new blouse now?“

 

„I can help.“ Baekho said out of a sudden surprising even himself. How exactly are you going to help her? Could you at least once think before you say things out?

 

The girl turned to Baekho with raised brows.

 

„How exactly?“ the girl asked with evident sarcasm.

 

Baekho shrugged. „I really have no idea...“ he said lowering his head.

 

The girl chuckled, and threw the coke-soaked tissue into the trash bin.

 

„If you wanna help then get me a new blouse, camera-boy.“

 

The boy looked up with wide eyes.

 

„You know me?“

 

„Sure I do. You're that guy whom I have seen photographing in the BluBell Park lately.“

 

„Yeah, that's probably me.“ Baekho smiled as a light blush crept onto his cheeks.

 

„So?“

 

„'So' what?“

 

„Are you getting me a new blouse?“ the girl still went on. He's so adorably silly. I can have a little innocent fun teasing him, can't I?

 

Baekho had his mouth dangling open. He really did look silly.

 

But then the boy shut his mouth and grinned. „Maybe. On one condition.“

 

„And that is?“ the girl got curious.

 

„If you'll be my model for today.“

 

„Your model? For what?“

 

„For the photo-shoot in the park of course. The studio is nearby so you can borrow something from there.“

 

„OK,... I guess... But... I'm not photogenic!“ I don't need that blouse! Though he is cute...

 

“Let me worry about the details. - Shall we go?” Baekho raised his brow and nodded his head to left – they we're probably supposed to go to that direction then.

 

The girl nodded and followed the boy.

 

With that the two started walking to the direction Baekho was leading to.

 

„Hey, what's you name by the way?“ the girl asked looking at the boy.

 

„Ah, right. Kang Dongho but people call me Baekho.“ the boy answered looking at anywhere else except at he girl.

 

„Well nice to meet you... for real now... I think that's right... Anyway nice to meet you, Baekho.“ Gaah! Talking about being silly... Who's silly now? Embarrassing yourself in front of him... Butterflies' race in my stomach! And the blue butterfly is first, followed by the yellow one! They're at the second turn-

 

„So what about you?“ Baekho said peeking at the girl from the corner of his eyes. I can't believe I never noticed her. She's like shining here and probably she's shining like that all the time and I just didn't notice her?... I think I'm gettin' old.

 

„What about me?“

 

„Your name.“

 

„Ah! Right. Kim Chinsun. I don't have a nickname so...“

 

„Chinsun is pretty as it is. Nice to meet you, too, Chinsun.“

 

Chinsun smiled and ducked her head. She looked away and sighed silently. Damn! He's just so... Like a gummybear. Teddybear?... Fuzzy...

 

Baekho had noticed that the girl giggled to herself after what he had said. He smiled, he found it cute. To be honest... I can't take my eyes off her...

 

***

 

„We're here.“ Baekho woke Chinsun from her thoughts.

 

„Oh,“ the girl raised her head, „Wait a minute! That's your studio?“

 

„Not mine. It's my friend's. But I do study here... and work. Part-time.“

 

„But that's... that's... Are you sure?... That's The Artland Studio!“ Chinsun jumped out of excitement and joy.

 

„Yeah, it is,“ Baekho chuckled, „I can show you my contract if you don't believe me.“

 

„You do that.“ Chinsun nodded eyes still wide from the first surprise.

 

Baekho held the door open for Chinsun. „OK, I will.“

 

***

 

“I do look good! You really are something, Baekho.“ Chinsun smiled wider than ever as she looked through the pictures of today's photo-shoot.

 

“I told you so.“ the boy said leaning nearer to the computer-screen.

 

Ah! Too close! He backed up. Why? The girl was sitting on the chair by the table and the boy had just leaned closer to the girl as he forgot himself when he wanted to see the picture a little closer and had leaned in to see it... Yeah, well...

 

Chinsun had her heart pick up its speed as well as she noticed how close their faces had been. Phew... that was... interesting...

 

“Are you OK when these go on an exhibition?” Please say yes...

 

“Well... uhh... I mean... they can't see my face anyway – the hat covers it so...,” she clicked on, “What's this?”

 

Oops... busted~. Baekho hadn't deleted the earlier photos and now... Chinsun discovered the camera held some pretty intriguing pictures of her walking in the park or sitting on a bench, doing whatever actually, within the last few weeks time.

 

Quick! Excuse! Excuse! “You're always in the park when I'm around there... I don't know you're just eye-catching...”

 

“Was that a compliment?” Chinsun tried to be witty to turn the situation around. She could feel the awkwardness in the air and to tell the truth she knew exactly how the boy felt – it's like the feeling which you get when you see your father holding your phone or using your computer... especially when there are contents you don't want your parents to see.

 

“We...h... Yea... maybe...” the boy smiled awkwardly and scratched the pack of his head.

 

“What's going on, little birdies?” someone suddenly said, someone third. That startled the two by the computer. They jumped a little. “Did I interrupt something?” the young man asked being oblivious to the situation.

 

“What? No-no-no...” both of the young said at the same time.

 

“Oh, that's good then. Phew. Anyway. Baekho, I need your help. The need equipment arrived.” the man said pointing over his shoulder to the direction of the front door.

 

“OK.” Baekho nodded. Perfect timing, I must say...

 

“Was that the Lee Kiseop?” Chinsun asked Baekho once she had got over her first surprise and excitement.

 

“Yup. The one and only.” Baekho smiled lighting up the room with his genuine happiness, “You can stay here to chat if you want.”

 

“You think he'd be OK with that?”

 

“Baekho, are you coming?!” Kiseop called for the boy.

 

“Just a minute!” the boy yelled back. And turning back to Chinsun he said: “Of course he's fine with it. The more the merrier – that's what he always says. Besides you're my model, so you have a good reason.”

 

“Are you guys making babies back there or something?” Kiseop asked as he put down some boxes near the computer-room's door. Now that's a way how to make youngsters change color from pink to scarlet in a split of a second..

 

“I'm coming...” Baekho mumbled smiling like an idiot and having ears as red as that small crayon on the table.

 

***

 

“Baekho could give you some lessons. If he decides to stay here has to take up the teaching anyway.” Kiseop told Chinsun.

 

“Really?” Chinsun couldn't believe her ears, “But don't I have to pay the fee or something?”

 

“Nah... Besides I don't think Baekho is that much of a high quality to get paid anyway.” Kiseop laughed.

 

“Hi. Haa-haa,” Baekho faked a laugh looking at his boss. He then turned to Chinsun: “So: are you in?”

 

“I guess so...” Now I actually have a reason to come here! ...and mum can't say anything about it...

 

“Yess!” I'm gonna see here on regular basis! ...from close! Ha! Take that for awesomeness!

 

“Baekho, could you be so nice and send the nice maiden home please?” Kiseop whispered to the boy. “And give this to her.” he said giving a box to him.

 

The boy nodded. “Hey, Chinsun...”

 

***

 

“Well, this is my home.” Chinsun said looking at the building before the two.

 

“Nice...” Baekho nodded looking around. So this is where she lives... “Anyway... Kiseop wanted to give you this.” the boy said taking a box out from his backpack and giving it to Chinsun.

 

“Oh, thank you. I mean... thank him. Heeh...” Chinsun got shy as she took the present.

 

“Well, I... I better get going, I suppose...” Baekho said trying to get away from the awkwardness about to head their way.

 

“Oh... right. Yeah. Kiseop is probably waiting his mule...” Chinsun joked.

 

“Heh. Probably.” Baekho smiled.

 

“Umm... See you around.” Chinsun nodded and took a step back, towards her house.

 

“Yeah. Right. See you.” Baekho said and also took a few steps back.

 

Both of the youngsters smiled awkwardly at each other, but then Chinsun couldn't take it anymore and she turned around speed-walked up to the front door. Baekho sighed in relief. Just got saved... That was really awkward... is that how it's going to be every time I send her off? Have mercy...

 

***

 

For the following week the two met every day. Kiseop made Baekho's schedule so that the boy could spend most of his working hours in the company of Chinsun. After all, the girl actually was Baekho's first project in the field of passing on his knowledge as little or as much he had it regarding photography. But however it was one thing was sure: the two enjoyed the time they spent together.

 

“You two should make an exhibition together.” Kiseop suggested at the end of a long day when Baekho and Chinsun had come back to the studio to load the photos into the computer.

 

Baekho almost joked on his Coke. Not that he had anything against it, but it came a little bit too early, you know? Chinsun had to consciously control herself. Don't scream. Don't squeal. And because she knew that she was blushing she excused herself to the toilet.

 

“What did I say wrong?” Kiseop wondered playing innocent. Heh. Love birds...

 

“No-thi-ng.” Baekho coughed.

 

“So: next Friday?” Kiseop asked as he reached for the front door's handle.

 

“Next Fr-?!”

 

“Perfect! I'll let them know!” Kiseop cut the boy off and quickly slammed the door shut behind him.

 

“What? No, wait! Wait!” Baekho made a desperate and empty attempt of stopping his boss from doing what he was about to do – to turn Baekho's calm and steady life upside down.

 

“Wait who?” Chinsun asked when she came back.

 

“Kiseop...” Baekho sighed. “He's setting us up for the upcoming exhibition... next Friday.”

 

“Next Friday?... Awesome!” Chinsun smiled. But I have to explain it to mum and dad... “Why are you spending so much time with that boy?” says mum and then I will lose the fight before it has even started. Great.

 

***

 

“Chinsun, honey, can I talk to you?” Chinsun's mother asked as she peeked into the girl's room.

 

Oh-my-gosh! Close the window!!! She quickly minimized the Photoviewer's  window on her laptop. “Yes, come in!”

 

The woman stepped into the room and took a seat on her daughter's bed. Chinsun knew that this wasn't right. She was hoping that her mother hadn't seen her with Baekho in the park... because Chinsun did notice her when she walked down the nearby street yesterday. I should have gone somewhere else that day! I knew it was her day off... but how was I supposed to know which shops she would go to? I should have gone to the other side of the city if I wanted her not to see us.

 

“So... how's that photographing business going?” Chinsun's mother asked as she pointed at the camera on Chinsun's desk.

 

“Good. Really good.” Chinsun smiled and nodded very lively. “I... I actually want to show you some of the photos.” Maybe she didn't see us then?

 

“Oh, really? Fire it up, big girl.” Chinsun's mother got excited. That was an interesting and  heartwarming sight to see. Somewhy Chinsun felt like she wanted to cry. A moment of realization. But I'm lying to you...

 

Chinsun opened a folder on her laptop and clicked on the first photo opening a new Photoviewer... though the other one was still minimized on the menubar. She clicked on and on, telling little side-stories to pretty much every picture.

 

“These are really great, Chinsun.” her mother was pleasantly surprised, “Have you thought of having an exhibition?”

 

“Well, actually... Kiseop said that he signed us up in a gallery for next Friday.” she said and clicked on 'Next'.

 

She froze. I'm doomed... Goodbye, life. Goodbye, my beautiful life.

 

“Who's this?” Chinsun's mother asked and leaned closer to the computer screen.

 

“He's... uhh... he's... uhh... a friend.” Chinsun stuttered trying to make up a excuse in her head. Her thoughts raced and crashed, hit a wall, rolled over, caught on fire, and, truth to say, if she was a computer she would display a faulty message 'Error! Excuse not found' on her forehead.

 

“He's cute.”

 

“Huh?”

 

That was unexpected. She's OK with it? She did see us that day! ...but why didn't she say anything.

 

“I said he's cute. Is he the guy I've seen you around with?”

 

Chinsun nodded. “But... he-he-he's a good gu-y... He's actually my tutor or teacher or whatever you want to call him.”

 

“Boyfriend.”

 

Another bomb Chinsun's mother dropped. That caught Chinsun totally off guard. Her own mother was more courageous than she would ever be.

 

“Did I say something wrong?”

 

“Uh, no.”

 

“So he is your boyfriend?”

 

Chinsun's head was so empty of thoughts that if you put a flashlight near her ear and turned it on her eyes would lit up. What was she supposed to say? Of course she waned to say 'yes', but washer mother going to accept that? Will her father be OK about this?

 

Chinsun just shrugged.

 

“You don't know?”

 

Chinsun shrugged again.

 

“If you're worrying about how your dad would take it then I'm glad to announce that he's fine with it.”

 

The girl just stared at her mother. She didn't know how to react.

 

“You're growing up, my dear. And sooner or later you're going to marry – you can't do that when we won't let you to date boys.”

 

Now Chinsun nodded. Slowly. Very slowly. She was taking in the ocean full of new rules. She was taking in the fact that now she was actually growing up – she was 'the big girl' she had always dreamt of becoming. The borders of her little sand box had grumbled down – now she could go out her home yard and see what was on the streets!

 

“Hey, girls. What’s up?” Chinsun’s father peeked into the room.

 

“Uhh… nothing.” Chinsun tried to act normal.

 

Her father had already had a glance at the computer screen though…

 

“Oh, is that the guy, who came to the store today?”

 

Chinsun’s mother nodded. “The very same boy.” Chinsun’s mother nodded. “He’s quite cute, too, don’t you think?”

 

“I don’t know about cute, but he’s well mannered. I like him.”

 

Chinsun swallowed. And now suddenly it’s OK to talk about boys? Now it’s OK to go out with them? Now it’s all OK? Now?

 

“What do you think, Chinsun, dear?” Chinsun’s father asked his daughter.

 

“I don’t’ know.” Chinsun shrugged. “He’s nice…”

 

“Yeah… one question though: does he smile all the time or was it just when he was in our store?”

 

“He does that all the time, dad.” Chinsun laughed – the tension was slowly fading away.

 

“I have nothing against it if my grandchildren smiled like that.”

 

“Dad! You, too?” Chinsun groaned, but on the inside she was on cloud nine.

 

“Darling, I think we should let her take it all in now.” Chinsun’s mother smiled.

 

The girl's father looked at his daughter and nodded – it must have been a big surprise... or even shock to the girl. After all, this one rule was actually one of the most important one. If parents change the so-called dating rule they change a big part of their young adults' life – now their parents have seen and decided: they know that their youngsters are ready to find their soul mate.

 

What can I say? Mum and dad have always known when the time is right and when I'm ready.

 

***

 

“Have you told her yet?” Kiseop asked Baekho.

 

“Told her what?” Baekho shrugged being oblivious.

 

“You're so into her – I saw it the moment you two stepped in that day.” Kiseop laughed and put a crumpled piece of paper on the table.

 

Baekho, whose ears were already beaming the shade of red, looked up from the computer screen. “Where did you get that?!” he bursted once he saw that particular paper.

 

“You should burn these kinds of things if you don't want anyone to see them... either that or you should put it a high security bank vault.”

 

“You're getting ahead of yourself...” Baekho mumbled as he stuffed the paper into his pocket and turned back to the computer screen, the screen which displayed an image of smiling Chinsun.

 

Kiseop saw that. “It's better if you come clear, you know. She may act all shy when around you, but that doesn't mean she doesn't have anyone else.”

 

“Let me mind that matter myself.” Baekho sighed. “I'll tell her once I'm ready.”

 

“OK... it's your life.” Kiseop retreated. “I'm going to the store. Do you want something?”

 

“An ice cream would be nice.”

 

“Ice cream it is.”

 

But Kiseop wasn't going to let Baekho wait for the 'perfect' chance; instead the older was going to create the chance... the lover boy needed some help.

 

***

 

He said I should dress up nicely...

 

But maybe this dress is too much? What if Baekho is less 'dressy'? I'd look like a fool next to him! I don't want to make myself look like one... especially around him!

 

Why does it have to be so hard?

 

The gallery was all set. Beautiful photographs which showed little moments of life were in picture frames covering the creamy white walls. You can't say there were photos of every shape, but there was a variety of sizes. Smallest ones, which only showed one object – like a flower blossom or a leaf on a tree – were gathered and put together in two big collages. The largest photos, depicting urban scenes, filled the largest frames.

 

All those collages, single frames, and complimenting elements – branches and dried flowers – gave off sweet harmonic warm vibes. Even the owner of this gallery said that this was definitely one of the most thought trough and one of the most memorable exhibitions so far. And the lady was right: the average time spent in the gallery per person grew longer with this display of moments turned into photos.

 

But moving back to the stars of this show... they weren't really paying that much attention to the guests or the speech, needless to say the exhibition itself. They had other things, or should I say people, in mind. Either of them was peeking at each other from time to time to have 'just one last glance' of the other. There were a lot of those 'last glances'

 

Chinsun had to admit that Baekho looked rather handsome in his white dress shirt, which just had to flaunt off his built body – you thought Chinsun hadn't noticed it before? – and the rolled up sleeves didn't help her think of straight either.

 

Baekho, in the other hand, had to consciously remind himself that didn't know how to hold his breath – he had to breathe. It wasn't like Chinsun didn't look pretty before... but boy!... She was shining today! Now Baekho knew what others were talking about if they said that their breath was taken away. That was exactly how he felt right at this moment.

 

***

 

When the introduction speech and the author's speeches were over and done with and when the guests had congratulated both Baekho and Chinsun it was time to rave the snack tables, not that the two stars of the day had any appetite.

 

“This is unbelievable, darling!” Chinsun's mother exclaimed as she hugged her daughter. “You're really good at this!”

 

“Thanks, mom.” Chinsun mumbled and nodded. She had heard so many praises today... but she liked it!

 

But then Chinsun's mother leaned in and whispered: “Is that really the same boy? That Baekho? You told me about? He's so handsome!”

 

“I know...” Chinsun whispered in return as the butterflies and all other creatures in her stomach had a pep rally of the century.

 

“Can I borrow your daughter, miss Kim?” Suddenly that Baekho popped out from nowhere. “It will just take a second.”

 

“Oh, that's alright. Take as much time as you like.” Chinsun's mother said keeping herself contained. She had actually asked about Baekho from here and there – protective mother always keeps her baby chicks from harm's way – and as much as those people knew to tell this boy was every mother's dream son-in-law. Of course, he pulled some pranks here and there and he had some flaws, but who doesn't.

 

“Please, Chinsun, could you come?” Baekho asked the girl.

 

“O-oh... Okay...” Chinsun got cold feet for a moment. What does he need me for?

 

***

 

Baekho took Chinsun to the back of the gallery, to the part which was actually out of limits as it was under some serious remodeling. But it didn't bother either of them – crawling in between flowerbeds to get a perfect shot was dirtier than these rooms here. Of course: Baekho had cleaned this place up.

 

The lights were unlit, because there wasn't any at this point. And as it was getting dark outside the light coming from half-covered windows wasn't enough to illuminate everything around them. But neither the less Chinsun could tell that there was a table with something on it...

 

“Stand here.” Baekho told the girl.

 

Chinsun nodded and stayed put.

 

Baekho went farther into the room and the lights.

 

This was something the boy hadn't prepared for. He should have checked up this place before he brought the girl here...

 

Kiseop had tinkered some things...

 

As soon as Baekho the lights, he had brought here he knew that something was off. But it was already too late, because it doesn't take long to read 'Will you be mine?'. Kiseop had put paper on the lights so that when Baekho turned them on they created a shadow of these words; the word which were so hard to say out loud, but the word which were so important to know the answer to.

 

The two stayed still for a moment.

 

Will you be mine?

 

Will you...?

 

Chinsun didn't think about what she was doing, she knew what she was doing, but she didn't want to think just because if she did she would never have the courage to do so. She walked straight up to Baekho looked him in the eye, bit her lip, nodded and hugged the boy.

 

“Yes.”

 

Baekho remembered that he should breathe now, so he did. He also hugged the girl back in the process.

 

“I will always be yours, too.” Thank you, pain-in-the-tucus Kiseop!

 

And what was on that table, you ask? Dinner for two, of course! And a little teddy bear wearing a beautiful yet simple necklace for Chinsun.

 

***

 

“Hey-hey-hey! Don't run, little man. You can't fly.” a young father spoke sense into his little son.

 

“Listen to your father – he knows what he's talking about.” the mother of the boy laughed.

 

“But your mom knows even better. Isn't it right, Chinsun-dear?”

 

“That's right.” Chinsun smiled. “Baekho-boo.”

 

And so this happy little family went up the same stairs, which made this scene happen.

 

It was just one step.

 

Just one step, just one moment to change it all.

 

 

 


And this is it!

Did you like it?