Chapter 1

Almost Paradise

Carrying countless amounts of plates and utensils on her hands, Ara swiftly slipped her way through the crowded restaurant, lifting up more cutleries from each table. The amount of customers she had to serve was unbearable. She closed her eyes to take a minutes rest before getting nudged by her co-worker, Jongin.

“Table 3 needs you.” He said, as he struggled on the piled up plates he had on his hands. Ara couldn’t blame him for not letting her rest; the restaurant was always busy, always.

Ara gave Jongin a slight nod, and began moving smiling at the waiting customers which politely returned a small considerate smile. Ara was dead beat; she promised her father if she had gotten enough money about say somewhere around $2000, he’d allow her to leave for her dream school in Seoul.

She had the application right in her hands, a cheap affordable house in Seoul that she managed to grab, but all she needed was the permission to leave for Seoul the year after from her father. Her father did not need the money, in fact he was loaded.

Of course, he trusted his only daughter but he needed more than just her attitude for assurance. For instance, he needed to see if she had the maturity and the capability of earning money on her own without any help.

Ara was so close to her goal, but she was just short of $300, I mean, her job was low paid, but what could she do? She wasn’t the smartest kid in town and not to mention she certainly did not want to work at her father’s medicine company, she had to either work as a janitor in some club downtown or a waitress at a high class restaurant; of course she had chosen the latter.

Her father wasn’t ultimately rich and loaded with wads of cash, more like a small family business enough to support the whole family of 5 for their entire generation. He owned a bunch medicine stores around the town, which also made Ara quite skilled in the arts of medicinary.

Ara did have siblings, two brothers to be exact, Kim Junmyeon and Kim Jongdae. Her two loving brothers were both in Seoul which led her to another reason of moving to the big city. As much as she loved her small cozy hometown, she wanted to leave for Seoul so badly.

But fortunately for her, this would be her last week of working, considering her one month pay was $350, she finally earned enough money to leave for Seoul. She could almost feel the fresh Seoul air seeping through her milky white skin. Ara rarely showed emotions, so after all this hard work; a smile was definitely worth showing.

“One more week and you’re out of here, my friend.” Jongin exclaimed, flashing a mischievous grin to Ara.

Ara nodded and returned a smile to Jongin.

She glanced at the giant clock above the jukebox placed at the corner of the restaurant, ‘8:00’, her shift was done. She felt a huge weight lift of her shoulders. She was done working, finally.

Ara grabbed her old black haversack lying on the kitchen countertop and slung it onto one of her shoulders, while she waved goodbye to her fellow co-workers out of politeness.

She stepped on to the gravel covered ground as she swayed her head listening to one of her favorite songs, breathing the night air through her nose. Checking the time, she noticed that it was about 9pm. She took about an hour to walk from the restaurant to her apartment, she found it quite amazing since it was the longest time she took.

She glanced around her neighborhood, finding it quite peaceful. She smiled to herself enjoying the alone time. She arrived at her apartment building; she took out her headphones and dumped it in her giant bag.

 She greeted the friendly doorman with a slight wave, the doorman gladly waved back at his client. Ara arrived home in a blink of an eye but got disrupted by the loud noise outside her apartment.

“Just put it right there!” A young man yelled over the ruckus. Ara tilted her head in confusion. She was the only person living on this floor besides her handsome neighbor, Park Chanyeol and his friend, Oh Sehun. ‘Someone’s finally moving in.’ She thought.

She wore her hoodie and tiptoed outside to check what was causing the ruckus. Could her intuition of someone moving in be right?

She took a peek out of her door, and glanced around. She saw a bunch of burly middle aged men carrying furniture into the old unused apartment right beside hers. She was right. Someone was finally moving in.

“Wow.” She heard someone mumble; she turned and saw Chanyeol behind her. “Someone finally moved in, eh?”

Ara nodded and continued staring at the new neighbor, she found it intriguing how someone wanted to buy that old apartment. It was cursed with old grown charm, in other words it had quite a bad smell and  it looked like no one has lived there for a thousand years but apparently the young man found it wonderful enough to stay in.

“Hyung, what are you doi- Oh hello, Ara-ssi.” Sehun, Chanyeol’s friend came out and greeted her. She bowed in respect, and smiled. She turned back to her new found neighbor who was staring back at them.

“Uh… Hi!” The new neighbor greeted as he walked over to them. Ara bowed and waved, while Chanyeol and Sehun simultaneously greeted him with a big, “Hello!”

“I’m Baekhyun.” He introduced, ing his hand out for a handshake. Ara eyed his slender fingers, and blinked twice. Baekhyun coughed awkwardly, wondering what was wrong with his hands. Ara blushed and chuckled quietly before shaking his hands.

“I’m Chanyeol.” Chanyeol chirped loudly and shook Baekhyun’s hand vigorously, making Baekhyun smile. It had been such a long time since he met such warm and friendly people. You rarely get to see these sorts of people in Seoul. Baekhyun thought and beamed brightly.

“Sehun.” The other male had introduced himself. Baekhyun shook his hands and nodded in acknowledgement. Baekhyun’s eyes shifted back to the petite female who was staring at him with wide eyes. Baekhyun felt his heart stir, ‘How adorable.’ He thought.

Baekhyun was waiting for the said female to introduce herself when Chanyeol interrupted, “This is Ara.”

“Oh.” Baekhyun nodded and waved at her who blushed and waved back. Baekhyun wondered why she wasn’t answering any of his questions. Maybe she was an introvert or just plain shy? He wondered.

Ara slipped out of the crowd and bowed to them, showing them that she was leaving. She had to sleep earlier, she had school tomorrow; it was her last year she definitely did not want to have a bad attendance grade. She had to make sure her attendance, and grades were perfect so her dream school would accept her with open arms.

Baekhyun was fatigued. He finally got the movers to get the furniture to where he wanted. He had to go to sleep soon, or he’d be late for his new school. He had enrolled in his new school, halfway through his last senior year which might be a little difficult for him to catch up on his studies and of course make new friends. But it seemed like he had made friends with a certain Park Chanyeol and maybe that boy Sehun.

-

Ara woke up to the sound of her alarm clock; she immediately got up and got ready for school. Ara’s eyes widened in shock, she took too long in the shower again, she was running late.

She ran around the house finding her socks and shoes and immediately sprinted out of her house. “Late again?” Sehun questioned, arching his eyebrows. She nodded tiredly. “Need a ride?” Sehun offered.

She nodded profusely and jumped into Sehun’s car. Chanyeol waved at her from the backseat, she waved back. She then noticed Baekhyun sitting at the back with them.

She looked at Sehun for answers. “He’s entering the same school as us now, he’s a senior like us.” Sehun explained. Ara nodded and took out her sticky post-its, scribbling a quick thank you to Sehun before pasting it on his forehead. She quietly chuckled while Sehun rolled his eyes smiling.

“How many times must I tell you not to place post-its on my forehead! It’s ruining my hair!” Sehun chuckled loudly. She laughed.

“At least she doesn’t paste ‘kick me’ post-its on your back!” Chanyeol scoffed recalling a time when Ara got mad at him and placed different coloured post-its labeling ‘kick me’, Ara giggled and shook her head.

After a few tiffs between Ara and Chanyeol, they finally got to school. Ara had her face back on to her famous emotionless stare.

“We’re here! Welcome to Daewon High Baekhyun!” Chanyeol exclaimed. Baekhyun accepted the large welcome and smiled back, “Wow, this school is tiny.” Baekhyun awed.

“Of course, we are a small town.” Sehun explained.  

“Ara you should probably bring him to the general office to collect his class schedule, considering you are the head prefect.” Sehun lisped.

“You are?” Baekhyun asked, in curiosity.

She nodded and gave Baekhyun an eye smile. Ara gestured Baekhyun to follow her.

“Hello, Ara!” The school staff greeted. Ara waved, and did some hand gestures before getting an “Oh” from the school staff.

“Oh, so you’re new?” The school staff asked. Baekhyun nodded. “I’m Mrs. Lee! And here’s your class schedule, Baekhyun right?”

“Yeah.” He replied and took his class schedule.

“Our class schedules are all the same.” Baekhyun mumbled, examining his class schedule and Ara’s. “Great!” He continued beaming at Ara.

-

Ara jogged to the restaurant in her school uniform, panting. She eyed the clock. ‘I’m not late! Phew!’ She thought, wiping her imaginary sweat.

Jongin scampered towards her, with a glass of water and smiled. “Need something to gain back your energy?” Ara’s eyes widened in joy, she nodded with all her might, and snatched the glass of water before gulping it down.

She looked at Jongin with thankful eyes. “You are welcome.” He flicked her nose and went back to work.

“What up, Ara-shizzle?” Chanyeol strutted in the restaurant and began doing a silly dance which made Ara giggle. Ara just shrugged, while Chanyeol nodded. “Mrs. Lee, the usual please and make it three sets!” He yelled.

Mrs. Lee the head chef nodded and smiled back at Chanyeol. Ara’s manager came out to check what the fuss was and eyed Chanyeol. “Not this boy again, for the last time keep it down.” Ara’s manager hissed.

“Sorry, momma, can’t help being loud.” Chanyeol laughed which made his mother glare at him. “One more snide remark from you and you’re out of the restaurant.”

Chanyeol raised his hands in defense and skipped to the empty table at the side, trailing behind him was Baekhyun and Sehun. Sehun waved happily at Mrs. Park, Ara, Jongin and Mrs. Lee while they waved back. Baekhyun bowed politely and introduced himself.

“Ahh, so that useless son of mine finally made a second friend at school.” Mrs. Park laughed. Ara giggled. “I HAVE MORE THAN TWO FRIENDS, UMMA! EXPLAIN JONGIN AND KYUNGSOO!” Chanyeol retaliated loudly, making a few customers glare at him in dismay.

 “Boys.” Mrs. Park sighed, along with Ara as they shook their heads at the same time.

Soon, the food was done and Ara skipped along the floor and served Chanyeol and the boys their food. She bowed playfully pulling the hems of her skirt. “And that’s Ara language for enjoy, fellow gentleman.” Sehun interpreted.

Ara gave Sehun a high five, and pointed at her nose indicating that he was right.

Baekhyun eyed Sehun and Chanyeol. “How long have you known her?” He asked.

“Three to four years, five years tops. I guess.” Chanyeol shrugged. Sehun nodded in agreement.

“I’m going to get more chilli sauce.” Baekhyun said, getting up and leaving for the counter in hopes of getting Ara to talk to him.

He had no idea why she hadn’t said one word to him, the entire day in school she would only nod and smile at him. Was he unlikable? Or did he say something to offend her? He figured now was the time he’d talk to her, I mean it is her job right? Customer service she had to say something to the customers at least.

“Hey Ara.” Baekhyun greeted, sliding through the damp floor and stopping right in front of her. Ara stopped in her tracks, and looked up at him. Her eyes widened and she blinked a few times before smiling back.

Jongin stood around the corner and carefully eyed Baekhyun. “Why in the name of Jesus is he talking to her?”

“So… chilli.” Baekhyun tried. Ara tilted her head, her eyes filling with questions. ‘Chilli?’ She thought.

“I mean…  I need some chilli.” Baekhyun awkwardly coughed. Ara laughed and nodded her head, she grabbed a few packets of chilli before handing it over to him.

Baekhyun mumbled a quick thanks, before hitting himself on the head. ‘Just ask her what’s wrong, doofus!’ Baekhyun thought. ‘Stop chickening out. Just erase the fact that you think she’s pretty.’

Baekhyun walked over to Ara again and smiled. Jongin then stopped wiping the tables and leaned closer to hear the conversation Ara and Baek was sharing.

“Look, Ara. Did I offend you or something? Because it seems like you’re not talking to me at all! Is it because I did something wrong? Or said something wrong?” Baekhyun exasperatedly huffed. Jongin’s eyes widened. “He did not just ask her that.” He muttered.

Ara looked down. Before grabbing a post-it from her pocket, she wrote something and pasted it on Baekhyun’s forehead before smiling softly.

She glided away to serve more customers leaving Baekhyun dumbfounded. Jongin felt relieved she didn’t start breaking down.

Baekhyun grabbed the post-it from his head and glanced at the post it. Written on it was nothing but two simple understandable words.

Baekhyun’s jaws dropped.

‘I’m mute.’ He read.