chapter one

Distant Embrace

Settling into my new apartment was relaxing. Finally I could get away from everything unpleasant. My grandfather came with me to Tokyo to help me unpack. For a girl my age, I didn't have much but enough to need an extra person to help me. He stayed a couple of days to help me settle in for the first few days, though I had already missed about two or so days of the start of school due to my moving.

 

It was good to be somewhere different. I could forget about the everything in the past. The tears, the pain, the bullying. All of it. Living a peaceful new life, hopefully filled with smiles and laughter. I felt happy just thinking about it.

 

----------

 

It was my first day of school. A nice Spring breeze blew in my face as I opened the window. The sun shining in my eyes as I looked outside. As expected of Tokyo. A new place filled with opportunities and away from those dreadful relatives of mine. The gleaming light guiding me towards my new life.

 

Bidding my grandfather goodbye for the day as he handed me my bento, I set off for school. The neighbourhood was lively. Little kids holding hands walking across the road, students riding their bikes to school, company workers making their way to work. Completely different to where I used to live. Cherry blossoms falling from trees, looking like snow. A beautiful scene that cannot be explained with words.

 

Whilst embraced by the scenery, I realised I had lost track. Coincidentally, I saw a boy walking in the same direction, wearing the same uniform. He was tall and looked like one of those popular types. I couldn't distinguish what year he was in. He must've realised me analysing him, because he looked up from his phone and flashed a smile upon seeing my confusingly lost face.

 

"Are you lost?" He said to me. His voice deep and a little husky, but friendly and warm. "Uhm, yes.." I replied, avoiding his eye contact.

 

"Seems like we go to the same school, what year are you in?"

 

"First year" I fiddled with the hem of my blazer.

 

"So am I!" He smiled. It may have been the brightest smile I have ever seen. His smile was so bright, even his eyes looked like they were smiling. "Well, you're not really lost, this is just the way to the back entrance of the school...but I doesn't make a difference I guess"

 

I didn't know how to react. On the inside I was really happy that someone talked to me with such kindness and brightly smiled at me too. But I merely only gave him an awkward smile as he started to walk off.

 

"Ah~ isn't Spring nice?" he sighed with his hands behind his head as he kept walking slowly, then stopped. "So.. Are you coming? We'll be late if you keep standing there.." He laughed.

 

I quickly followed behind him whilst thinking "how can he talk to me, who is a stranger, like a friend?". His ability to freely talk to others was truly amazing. Something that I don't think I'll ever be able to do. I can't even smile properly in front of others, let alone talk to them as freely as he can. Simply amazing. I never knew such people exist.

 

When we reached the back gate, he suddenly stopped. "Well I guess it's goodbye for now" he said still with his back facing me, then he turned around to face me and once again flashed his incredibly bright smile. "I'll see you around, I'm Tanaka Juri" he said as he held out his hand.

 

"Tachibana Risa" I shook his hand and he smiled, ruffling my hair and with that, we part ways.

 

How can he act like we're friends when we just met for the first time minutes ago?

 

I had a strange feeling, but somehow, it wasn't a bad one.


 

-----------------

 

Being shy and unable to interact with people comfortably, I kept my head down when handing in the extra paper work I needed to hand in to start my school year. It was just the basic personal information the school needed to keep on hand. Keeping conversations with the teachers to a complete minimum, only paying my respects and answer what was questioned of me, I was led to the classroom which was assumed and most likely to be my new homeroom where I'll be spending the rest of the year studying.

 

As I stood outside the door, loud voices and laughter could be heard. My soon to be classmates sounded cheerful. Conversations about the latest fashion, sports updates and about the new ramen shop down the road. I started to get nervous. It's been a while since I've been in a classroom. Though I never neglected my studies, there would have been many things I have missed and things that I'd need to get used to. Things such as general conversations and all that. Social skills, which I lack, very much.

 

Horrid memories from middle school back in my hometown flashed before my eyes. I call it my hometown only because it was where I was born, but if I were to speak the truth, I have never considered that place as a home. From the bullying to the laughter, laughter of pity and disgust. The cold eyes from the mothers. The abandonment by relatives. Seeing my grandfather cry in pain, crying to my mother's photo, begging for her forgiveness for not being able to protect me. Not being able to visit my parents' grave even once. All of it, filled my brain to the very rim at that moment. My heart ached, eyes tearing, fists clenching and breaking into cold sweat. My name was called through the rowdy class. Immersed in thought, it took the second calling of my name to realise I was being called for. I took a deep breath and walked into the class that became silent as soon as I was revealed behind the door.

 

Heads turned, conversations seized to my appearance. "This is our class member that has been away for a couple of days due her transfer.." the teacher gestured for me to introduce myself to the very oddly tentative class. Well tentative in my eyes at least. "I am Tachibana Risa, fifteen years old...and originally from Akita. A-As of today, I shall be in your care" I bowed slightly as respect towards my classmates. A moment of silence and the class was noisy again.

 

All the seats in the class were filled, so an extra table had to be put in for me at the back of the class next to the window. I guess alone was where I belonged. Looking outside the window, I sighed. I heard a chuckle and the figure sitting in front of me suddenly leaned backwards on his chair, however did not turn around. "Tachibana Risa...we meet again" he said amusingly as the chuckles continued, turning around to reveal a smirk on his face. The smirk then turned into the familiar bright smile. "We're in the same class!" He said excitedly as our eyes met. It was Tanaka Juri, the boy who I met that morning and helped me make my way to school, whose social skills I admired. Juri talking to me with such enthusiasm caused a few heads to turn and some strange faces were pulled, but then they continued doing whatever they were originally doing.

 

"Hey hey Juri, flirting with the new girl already?" A relatively short boy came over and sat on the end Juri's desk. "What are you on about Yasui..?" He laughed as he playfully hit the shorter boy's arm.

 

"Our Juri really has a bad reputation.." A taller boy joined seated on the desk next to Juri turned around. "..running around flirting with girls everyday"

 

"Give him a break, he's just being nice" said the boy seated on the other side of the room looking up from his manga, revealing his slightly older looking face.

 

"Urgh ignore them, they're just teasing." Juri sighed facing me again before hitting the shorter boy, who was supposedly named Yasui's knee. "Welcome to our class! These guys are my friends. Complete idiots.."

 

"Oi, I'm no idiot" Yasui laughed hitting Juri's head playfully. "Well this short guy here, is Yasui Kentaro.... Very short indeed" Juri continued. "That's Hagiya Keigo and the old looking guy over there is Shintaro." They all nodded and smiled. "You see these two here?....they're gay" Juri chuckled causing Yasui and Keigo get up from their seats and pull Juri into a headlock. "We're not gay!" One said and "It’s simply bromance!" said the other.

 

They laughed and smiled making small conversations with me. However whispers from glaring girls could be heard. "Urgh, she's surrounded by the ikemen-tachi ...and they're talking to her too"

 

As expected, they were the popular type.

 

I found the rooftop and started to eat my bento silently by myself. Admiring the sky and soaking in the sun. The warmth of the sun shining on my face was like my grandmother’s arms embracing me when I was afraid when I was younger. Tears started filling my eyes but I closed my eyes and smiled as if I was able to see my grandmother who loved me the most again. I wondered if it would be this warm if my parents were hugging me. Though, I’ve never met them, I’m sure they would have loved me just as much. The warmth suddenly disappeared and the bright light was shadowed. "I believe you're in our territory"

 

Opening my eyes slowly, I looked up. Surprisingly, it was Juri and his friends in class as well as some additions. They made a very straight face and some standing with crossed arms. I quickly gathered my things, apologised and was about to rush off before a hand grabbed onto my arm, holding me back. My eyes widened as I turned around to face Juri, who was still holding onto my arm with a serious face. I struggled out on Juri’s grip and flashed him a very confused look.

 

His face then softened. “I’m joking! You don’t have to look so scared!” He said with a smile as he ruffled my hair and the others burst into laughter. “Why don’t you join us?”

 

“Yes, we’ll take care of you, new girl” said Yasui with a smirk.

 

They then sat down and took out their lunch. Still confused at the situation, I just stood there watching them. “Don’t just stand there and watch us eat, sit down!” Juri dragged me to sit down in the spot right next to him.

 

“There goes the nice guy again” laughed Keigo. “You know, you’re the first girl who is able to sit and have lunch with us, feel lucky!” added Yasui.

 

Although I didn’t say much, I was happy they invited me to sit with them. It was the first time I sat with a group of people to have lunch at school. I felt warm.

 

Surely, my grandmother and my parents were looking out for me, watching this with a smile. I felt blessed.

 

“Thankyou” I muttered.