Existing: Prequel

Existence

The first time I saw you, you were sitting by yourself, with a coffee in hand. You weren't smiling or laughing, just sitting there as if contemplating life and its nuances. I walked right past and as I reached the counter, I gave my order to the cashier. When I received my mocha, I caught you looking at me.

Something about you seemed reassuring, perhaps it was your deep brown eyes. 

But as I walked by your table, I turned to you to give my best smile. And you returned it.

I reached my friends' table and we talked and laughed about our silly lives. I noticed you staring at me, and I blushed, but you didn't see that. 

My friends left and you came to my table. You asked if you could sit down, and I said yes. After that, we just clicked. We chatted about the most random things: the feeling behind a color, how people shuffle their feet, and coffee, quite fitting since we were in a coffee shop. 

Minutes turned into hours that flew by so quickly, I didn't notice that I was late for work. I scrambled to grab my things and ran out the door. You followed me and then asked for my number, while waving a napkin.

I wrote it down so quickly, I've always wondered if I even wrote the correct number. You just smiled to me and we parted ways.

 

 

After that day, I would always see you. I never wanted us to end.

Picnics on the beach, pool days, tender kisses under moonlight and starry skies. We have had so many fun days. 

I remember when our first year anniversary approached. I wanted to make a cake while you were out working. But when you returned, you found me with a misshapen lump and burned fingers. So we decided to go out to dinner instead.

The time when I insisted on not swimming because I had a meeting afterwards. But did you listen? No, you just pulled me into the pool. I had to attend the meeting, dripping and with squelching shoes. When I returned home, you earned yourself a very well deserved punishment of no kisses that week. But I was weak and succumbed to my habits and kissed you the very next morning.

Yes, we have had some great times. But we had our bad days as well.

I recall when we were living together in an apartment. Money was tight since you were on the brink of becoming a master pianist. You were teaching lessons to children which I knew frustrated you.  I was working two jobs so we had enough. You didn't like me working so much. You were always the one to do the work, make things easier for me. It was our first fight and hopefully, our last. 

It ended with a kiss and a whispered "I'm sorry". Tears fell and soft whispers exchanged.

Once, I found you lying on the floor, curled up in a ball with your hands covering your ears. You screamed for it to stop; I didn't know what to do. So I helped you into bed and brought soup and hot chocolate. Then I held you throughout the entire night, and we fell asleep to the comfort of being together. 

After that, I was determined never to see you like that again.

 

 

My memories of walking down the streets with your hand around mine are my favorite.  We walked down one street filled with shops and we passed a quaint jewelry store. There, a glistening ring caught my eye. But I knew, it was too early for that. So I ignored it and we kept walking. But you noticed didn't you? You are always the perceptive one of us two.

Our second anniversary came and we went to dinner, as usual. I should have recognized what you were going to do. How you always comb your fingers through your hair when you're nervous. You loosen your tie as if it'll suffocate you at any second. Perhaps I was too elated that it was our second year together.

Can you imagine how I felt as you kneeled down? As you brought out that ring I had so dearly wanted?

Your proposal was so short but simply sweet. This is why I loved you.

"I love you. That's all that I can say. So, will you marry me?"

I was sobbing by then and I just held that ring and kept crying, "Yes, yes, of course!"

 

 

On our special day, Umma and Appa are trying so hard not to cry. Umma breaks out in rivers of tears and dabs my makeup and hair as if she can perfect it even more. Family, cousins, friends are standing by with smiles on their face and best wishes on their lips. pLavish resents are piled onto tables scattered throughout the room.

I kissed her cheek and she smiles, with her mascara smeared. Music began to play.

It was time. Appa offered his arm so stiffly, I thought it would break if I wrapped my arm around his. 

Before we walked down the aisle, I could see his eyes trying hard not to water. I kissed him on the cheek and we walked down the aisle.

At the end, I saw you, wearing a black suit and that crooked smile I loved. I was getting a bit more nervous as we approached the end. My dress was getting in the way and I thought, What if I trip wearing these ridiculous heels?  

Then I saw that reassuring smile of yours and I managed to end up standing next to you. We made our vows, sweet and simple, just how we liked it.

That kiss was one of the shortest but it was the best. Because it marked the beginning of our life as one.

 

 

Our life together was amazing. We were happy. Everything was right, perfect even. And it got even better when I realized I was pregnant. Just several months after the wedding.

Our first anniversary as a wedded couple came and I decided to break the news. We were dining in an elegant restuarant, as per our tradition. The waiter was about to pour some wine into my glass when I dismissed him.

You were confused, since I usually like to have sip of wine on special days. And then I told you.

"Oppa, I'm pregnant."

Your expression showed pure shock and then transformed to utter excitement. You hugged me and then you shouted at the top of your lungs. Any thought of looking presentable was thrown out the window.

"I'm going to be a father!" 

All the restaurant staff cheered and applauded while some of the diners looked fazed on having their delectable dinner interupted. We left the restaurant as soon as I could. You chivalrously opened the door for me and I gingerly climbed into the passenger seat.

You were smiling the entire time while you were driving. And I asked you, "Do you want to feel him?"

You understood what I meant, it was a boy. Your smile brightened even more, and then very tenderly, you placed your palm on my stomach. It felt cool, compared to the warmth made by me and our little boy.

You smiled and whispered, "You're going to be just fine". Then, as I looked out my window, I saw a pair of bright headlights. And then black.

 

 

When I come to, I turn to see your head bleeding but still conscious thankfully. You were trying to unlock my seatbelt and mouth words that I can not hear. My head hurts and so does my stomach.

Our baby boy. He's in trouble.

I want to reach out to you but my arms can not seem to move. I try to say something but my lips can not seem to form words. Your eyes widen with fear and sadness and then I see red, only red.

 

 

 


 

 

Ta-da! I made this in like one night and a day. It was running through my head the entire night.

I was debating on whether to write it from his or the girl's perspective. Then I was like, how about the girl's?

 

This is dedicated to my friend myseunghoho, who insisted on a background story. <33

I hope it lives up to your expectations~!