Chapter Ten

With You Came Doubt, Eventually Regret

The next time ji yong sees his leader it’s during band practice and neither of them chooses to acknowledge the other.
 Ji yong still has an unsettling guilt, it’s the same feeling he had when he came to his senses that night. It’s what had him leave the instant his leaders eyes closed in sleep instead of facing him the next morning.  And it’s clear that avoidance is the best strategy when the man across him does just that. 
It’s after practice that TOP finally addresses him.
Once everyone is gone ji yong goes to the back room as he agreed to do. TOP said it was to discuss “the new song” but ji knows better. Ji yongs steps feel heavy as he walks in. The weight of ill-deeds always seems to increase the closer one comes to confronting them. When his leader doesn’t raise his eyes from the laptop screen ji yong decides to walk in further until he is standing directly in front of his desk.
“the song, do you think you're ready,” top asks but still doesn’t look at him.
ji yong is dumbfounded at the question after expecting one about their little mistake and he doesn’t respond until those dark eyes look at him. Just one glance and he knows for sure this isn’t the question his leader wants to ask.  
He looks down at his shoes, " I think so”

“That guy from the grocery store, are you guys in a relationship”  Ji yongs eyes shift to his leaders hands whose fingers slowly flip through his lyrics notebook.
At first he can't make out why his leader would be interested in his relationship with min Suk but then he realizes that his leader must have been feeling a bit of guilt toward who he assumed was ji yongs boyfriend.
“no. he is an old friend who wanted to try being in a relationship but I refused. There is no relationship between us.”

The relief that floods into his leader’s eyes is almost instantaneous, his fingers still and his notebook is flipped closed. He finally looks into ji yongs eyes; the weight in his stare many times lighter. It never occurred to ji yong that his leader would be feeling guilty towards his nonexistent boyfriend.  Did he expect Anger due to what happened? yes, but not guilt.

 “about that night,” his leader continues.
Ji yong knows what his leader is trying to say but he doesn’t want him to apologize. It makes him feel worse about what happened it was mostly his fault if anyone should apologize it should be himself so he does, “I’m sorry I didn’t think that things would go that far. I just thought…” 

“it’s my fault I made it go farther, I was hoping we could put this behind us and maybe forget that it happened.,”
Ji yong opens his mouth to argue his point but top doesn’t let him form even a word.
“I remember everything that happened, ji yong. And I know exactly why you kissed me. It was my fault; believe me. I took it further so can we please just forget.”
ji yong still feels he is to blame but if it will make his leaders life easier he will pretend . They didn't have but, their interaction that night could have gone further. And with the way ji yong easily gave in that night he is thankful that it didn't. But He doesn't want his mind to go down that road.
“ so what were you saying about the song, he changes the subject and his leader  smiles at him for the first time since. He feels much better about their situation after that.


There is something different in his relationship with his leader after their talk and the situation. They never mention what happened, but ji yong remembers and he is sure Seung Hyun remembers too. He has a feeling the others have started to notice but it might just be his paranoia. 
The leader talks to him more, and asks him for his opinion on their music he even gets invited by him to drinks; of course with the other members around. But there is the tension of something left unsaid. 
A couple of times they stay after band practice to discuss the new songs. And ji yong enjoys it. He likes being asked for his opinion and he likes the way seung hyun listens to him. He even likes when they disagree because seung hyun will go out of his way to explain his view and change his mind. Ji yong can’t help but compare it to his times with jae. Except jae was always bent on being correct. With jae there was no compromise. Ji yong would often give in tired about the situation after hours of not getting any music done. With seung hyun it’s a give and take situation where seung hyun has no trouble accepting ji yongs advice and using it. The way the leader listens to everything he says it's  as if his opinion was Important to him.  It's  fun and he is sure that seung hyun enjoys it too.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
When ji yong listens to “Window” in its complete form he is amazed. He worked his off. The song had grown on him and he poured as much as he could on it. It reminded him in many aspects of not only, what seung hyun confined in him  but, of the end of his relationship with jae. This is evident in the finished product. Even seung hyuns six lines are crucial and help bring out the haunting and eerie feeling in the song. By the look his leader is giving him he likes it just as much.
His leader sits next to him. This should not be something to alert him but, it does. Its slowly become a norm that his leader sits next to him and ji yong does not know how to react when he notices the change. He considers getting up and making an excuse to change the seating arrangement but he can’t really picture himself sitting anywhere else. He could sit next to seung ho but that would leave him with a stranger on the other side. His only other option is Soo Hyuk but soo hyuk and him are still awkward as . Even worse, it’s as if soo hyuk can see something in him that even ji yong can’t see in himself.  So he stays still. 
He should have moved. Ji yongs past has decide to finally greet him. jae is walking towards him staring  at him and ji yong can’t even say he is looking at the band because his eyes are looking directly at him. its only at the end when jaes eyes flick towards seung hyun that ji yong is urged to do the same. Seung hyuns eyes however,  are not on jae or even ji yong they are on dae sung. There is no mistake that jae is addressing him when he stops a few feet away. except this time ji yong doesn’t feel the usual symptoms of jaes presence. For the first time he doesn’t clamp up for a moment and he doesn’t have a hard time swallowing.
“so, you’ve managed to fit in with your new band,” jae’s eyes move to the other members of the band and stop at seung hyuns and apparently he already knows that he is the leader, “I'd  be careful with this one, he doesn’t even have to he in a band to destroy one.”
ji yong laughs because that one hurt mostly because it’s true and his mouth moves before he can stop, “your band was ed either way I just speeded up the process. Besides sixty percent of your band was composed of s.”
Jaes fist connects with ji yongs face. And it's  a moment before he registers that seung ho is ready to pounce on jae. Ji yong can’t have that because they're going to debut their new songs here in a few weeks’ time. So he stands and puts a hand on seung hos’ shoulder in an attempt to calm him down. 
“and if you had stayed then I guess it would have been eighty percent.” Jae adds in a tone much more calm. 
“the one who should be careful is you, “the anger in seung hos voice makes both ji and jae turn to him he nods to daesung, “you picked up this little traitor. At least I’m sure ji yong must have  a good reason detest your ty band. “
“is that so,” jae looks back at daesung and then at the band again, ”then why did he go see us a couple of months ago. If our band is so bad then why?”
Ji yong wiped his bloody lip, “this is stupid I wanted a drink. That is why I was there” what was he supposed to say that he was taken there by his leader who wanted him to see his ex boyfriend sing.
“more importantly why are you and this bastard here in the first place?” seung ho continued, “why would the all great and mighty daesung come and see us after leaving the band.” 
“Enough,”TOP finally steps in, “ I will not tolerate this any longer. We have a new member and have moved on as a band. “his eyes move back to Daesung who is  still looking at anything other than his old band mates  eyes. I took ji yong there to see how daesung was doing because we all know he is talented, otherwise he would have never been in our band. I will not have you insult a former member of our band especially when it was I that kicked him out."

It’s a lie that, other than dae, top, and himself ji yong is sure the others have fallen for. For the first time ji yong can see how much TOP still cares about daesung. And for some reason this makes ji yong more uncomfortable that jaes presence. He needs a way  to get out of this situation.
“seung ho you need to calm down.” Ji yong grabs him and drags him towards the exit, “if we make a mess we can say good bye to playing our new songs here."

 

 

Note: Thank you to those who are still reading this an I am also sorry, I'm inconsistent with updates and don't even know what I'm doing any more but thanks