1.

The Veil

The irregular rhythm of the raindrops against the clear window was the only thing I heard as I stared out at the streets, gazing at strangers rushing by in umbrellas and raincoats to deter the rain from wetting them. I ran my fingers along the coffee mug in front of me and I continued my staring out the window.

Through the rain, I managed to concentrate on the happenings in a random street. That lady with the blue eyes was gorgeous…that girl had one of the best figures  I have ever set my eyes upon… her waist was tiny… that girl –

“Hey! Sorry I’m late!” I looked away from the window to see a familiar looking face gingerly eyeing me. I gave a small smile as I mumbled an assurance to him that it was fine. I started observing the male in front of me, not being able to miss out on the brand new wine-coloured hair he sported. He dragged the chair, whilst making a rather loud screech and cringing a little before quietly sitting down.

Nice hair, Luhan,” I mentally approved his choice of hair colour. Its been more than a month since I have met him.

The good-looking male in front of me slowly raised his right hand to fix a strand of hair and skillfully avoided any direct eye contact with me.  “Oh yeah, thanks. Thought I’d try something new.” The change suited him. I, however, did not miss the slight moment where his vision landed on my wrists.

There was a moment of awkward silence before he spoke. His gaze flickered to the window after that.

Are you okay these few days?” His voice was filled with concern and uncertainty, and I was scared to even look up into his eyes. I continued keeping quiet, not knowing what to say. We both knew.

“ Please stop, Soojung. Its hurting us both.” I slowly tilted my gaze and stared into his eyes for the very first time today and immediately regretted. He was scared, I could tell. “ I know. I’m trying.” It was painful to look at him stare at me with that forlorn, emotional expression.

“I’m sorry. For everything” his words came out shaky, unlike the usual playful tone he normally used. Don’t apologise, Luhan. “ Its not your fault.” I promptly replied, still avoiding direct eye contact with the handsome red-haired male in front of me. Tears were threatening to fall anytime now. I bit my lower lip as I continued staring at the window whilst observing that the rain had mostly stopped, with only a slight drizzle.

“ Soojung. I hate how things are with us right now. I hate what they did to you, but you know whatever they said is not true.” I knew Luhan was desperate right now from how his voice had cracked halfway through his plea. My expression remained stoic, as I tried my hardest to hold in the hot tears. I don’t deserve him, and I certainly don’t deserve to hear whatever he was saying.

“ Sorry Lu..Han. I just can’t.” I hurriedly grabbed my bag and ran out of the café despite the drizzle. As I ran in the rain, I heard the continual sharp words that were embedded in my head.

You are too ugly for him. Go to hell, .”

Once.

I wonder what he sees in her. I wouldn’t smile if I had a face like that.”

Twice.

She is nothing special, so ordinary. ”

Thrice.

He must have bad taste in girls. I wonder what she did to him to make him fall for her.”

They won.

I watched the final cut scrape my skin as the bright red liquid drip down my right wrist. I stared at the scars as I cried for the nth time this month. As I aimlessly walked down the streets wiping my tears, I stopped short at a hand offering me a piece of tissue.

I gazed up and saw a teary-eyed Luhan staring back at me. I turned my back at him and started walking in the opposite direction. He didn’t relent and continued following me, stopping to grab my left wrist. “ We need to talk.”

“I can’t, not right now. Not when I am this vulnerable and hurt.” I exploded as I raised my voice, the tears still flowing down my face. I wrung my wrist out of his grasp and continue walking despite being unable to see where I was going.

I told you many times before. I told you before they said anything. I told you, Soojung. Don't my words mean anything to you?” I felt my heart being stirred by his words. He knew, we both knew.

“ I am ordinary, unlike you. There are other girls better, who are prettier than me. They look better standing next to you. I don’t belong in your world.” I was contradicting my heart. The lies fed to me were constantly clouding my sanity. I began to believe every single thing people had said about me. I knew yet I believed.

You are special. You’re the girl I first found beautiful when you smiled at me on that stairway. You’re the only girl who saw me cry, and the only one who listened to me. You’re the first girl I sang to, the first one to bring me out of my shell. You’re the first one who believed in me and got me to believe in myself. You’re the only one. You made me believe in myself, and I need to make you believe in yourself too.”

Luhan stepped forward to carefully wipe the tears on my face. His hands were gentle and his eyes were soft., his other arm caressing my back as I laid limply in his arms, sobbing my heart out.

Even after I had convinced myself that I was not worthy of being in his world, Luhan had stitched up the wounds that people had inflicted upon me. He had broken my insecurity and filled up my emptiness. He had torn away the veil that I had tried so hard to set up. He had allowed me to see clearly. The sun was brightly shining in the sky. In that moment, his words and his comfort, I believed.

And we both knew.

___________________________________________________

Word Count: 1, 051

Sorry the ending was kinda abrupt, I wanted to go sleep haha. Its almost 1am now OTL.

I used Soojung not because I ship Krystal and Luhan or anything but cause Soojung is a nice Korean name. and it sounds like my name in Korean yepp Soojung is just a pretty name heh. I tried my best with all the literary devices sigh. Hopefully, its not awkward or anything.

Do comment, I really wanna hear from you guys!