The Unknown

Happily Never After

         

         Sailing was a way of clearing his troubled mind. He didn’t know exactly what it was that made him feel so relaxed and at ease—maybe it was the shivery ocean breeze, or the distant cawing of the seagulls, or the blue waves crashing against the exhausted boat—but he adored every second of it.

 

         Today was no different. LuHan withdrew the cumbersome anchor from the waters and allowed the ship to float aimlessly, with no particular destination or place in mind. Leaning onto the shabby gunnel, LuHan closed his eyes and took in a deep whiff of the oceanic airs—allowing the spacious atmosphere to loosen up his body. 

 

         An alluring melody began to drown on and on, ringing endlessly through his ears. Perhaps, it was his own imagination taking over his conscience, LuHan thought. However, his doubts began to disintegrate along with the wind, as the song grew more and more resonant. No longer able to deny its divine existence, LuHan opened his eyes and peered down towards the waters—where the sound seemed to be rooting from. To his disappointment, he saw nothing else other than the endless body of water that surrounded his ship.

 

         However, the song continued to flow harmoniously, although the artist was nowhere to be seen. Still greatly intrigued and intensely captivated, LuHan inched closer towards the waters—hoping to get a better listening of the euphonic melody. Little did he know, that he had just crossed the boundaries between humans and the frightening unknown. The last thing the boy recalled seeing was a pair of joined fins under the murky waters before he was pulled down into the brutal depths of the ocean.