We Weda WeDa Leaders Part 1

The Clueless Gizibe

 

 
 WEWEWEDA WEDA LEADERS (PART 1)
 
 
 BIG BANG RECORDING STUDIO
 
Jiyong decided to retreat to the comfort of his own recording studio and leave Tey, Teddy and Tablo and Choice at Teddy's studio still reeling over the epicness that was Falling In Love's BTS. 
 
He could not stand another second seeing SooHyuk and CL flirting it up like crazy as if there was no one around them , like they were a couple. He did not want to watch further that damned awards show either and risk the chance of seeing them together again. 
 
So as he is always prone to do, he sought solace in his recording studio, well technically , Bigbang's recording studio. This studio was a gift from YGSajangnim to the boys after they moved to the new YG Building.
 
"Am I too late ?"he thought while pacing back and forth inside the control room. Has SooHyuk made a move on her? He took out his phone and thought of texting Soohyuk. He must speak with his friend and clear things with him. But then he thought otherwise . SooHyuk will think me crazy if I sound too nosey about Chaerin and him. Maybe he was just enjoying her company the way I did. And look where that led you, Jiyong? Hopelessly enamored. 
 
 Maybe it would be better to text Xin since he's probably with them. He did just that, only to be surprised by the info Xin provided that CL and SooHyuk were left alone in a room all to themselves with CL helping SooHyuk dress up. The image of a smiling Chaerin seductively fixing a smitten  SooHyuk's tie flashed before him. This merely made his annoyance skyrocket. 
 
 For some reason, he felt the urge to speak with Xin . He remembered clearly how years back it was Xin who confessed of his feelings for Chae. As much as he does not trust Xin's women skills,  he is the only guy Jiyong knows who has gone through this Chaerin infatuation phase already ....and has survived it. He is , from what he sees, happily in a committed relationship with Sagan and in a productive professional and friendly relation with Chae too. 
 
Xin might be the only one who can help him deal with this...feelings he has for Chaerin. Jiyong texted Xin again who replied promptly. Xin told him they'd meet at the bar of the hotel CL was staying. 
 
 " Damn.Damn." , he muttered while propping himself on his  MCM upholstered couch. He rested his head on the couch and closed his eyes in frustration. 
 
At that moment, Taeyang entered the room and sat himself beside his friend. 
 
"Are you ok Ji?"  Taeyang asked with concern. "You seemed upset when you left Teddy's studio. "
 
Jiyong opened his eyes and looked at Taeyang. Nothing escapes his BFF’s hawkeye observation . He knows me all too well, he thought. 
 
Should I tell him about the Chae thing? He hesitated but in the end his emotional upheaval was too great for him to contain his feelings. 
 
"I broke it off with Kiko. " GD said. 
 
"I know. " Taeyang declared .
 
"How did...?" 
 
"It was pretty obvious ,dude.  When you were still with her  you'd spend any free time secretly travelling to Japan. You've just been to Japan once in the past two months and only coz YG asked you to support Daesungs concert. " Taeyang rationalized
 
"You're s scary smart Tey. I'm legit afraid of you now! " Jiyong said in wonder of his friends analytical mind. 
 
" Not that smart Jiyong. I've known you for a while so I guess I'm attuned to your moods and behaviors. You're like an open book to me . " said Taeyang
 
" Really ? Tell me , what does your crystal ball tell you about what I'm thinking of now? " Jiyong challenged. 
 
" You're contemplating whether you can trust me with a confession. ....A confession of your feelings for another girl  who makes you feel so uncertain right now because you think she may be into another guy. "  Taeyang said cryptically. 
 
" You are  making me piss right off my pants now. Are you a mentalist?" Jiyong said in awe of his friend.
 
". I'm not some kind of mentalist Ji. When you left Teddy's studio like some depressed hobo, you paused the computer at exactly that scene were SooHyuk and Chae were playing around. And may I tell you, you missed the best part ofthat clip. " 
 
"Best part? " Jiyong asked
 
"Yup. Have you ever seen SooHyuk dancing? Well he danced for Chaerin. Really funny too. Something enough for him to be embarrassed of in the future."  Taeyang exclaimed.
 
"Hey, don't remind me . I came here to forget that crap I saw from Teddy's PC. " 
 
"Jealousy doesn't suit you Jiyong. " Taeyang observed . " I haven't seen you this way since ...well ...NEVER " he further observed with obvious surprise. " You’ve always been kinda chill with your girlfriends " 
 
"This is different." Jiyong said solemnly. 
 
"How come? Chaerin's just a girl too ain't she?" asked the teasing YB.
 
"She's not just some girl Tae, " GD looked at Taeyang as if insulted for Chaerin. "  For a smart guy and Chaerin's friend at that , how can you think that?”
 
"I was just pulling your leg, man. Of course she's different . She's the longest opposite relationship you've had . Quite frankly, your and her story has been building up for the past seven years. That alone certainly makes her stand out from the rest of your other relationships.... and one night stands" Taeyang added jokingly. 
 
Jiyong had no reply to his friend’s observations.
 
" I'm not one to doubt your sincerity , Ji, but ...." Taeyang said with a meaningful pause " have you ever stopped to think that what you're feeling may just be lust? This abrupt  change of heart in you does coincide with  Chaerin's image makeover to , well, a ...babe ." 
 
"That's what I thought too Tae. That's why I did not make any moves on her  even after Kiko and I had called it quits. I wanted to keep my feelings on the downlow . This might all be physical on my part anyway. But then ...if its only physical, why do I feel like bashing some heads when I see other guys putting a move on her? " Jiyong said running his hand through his hair in frustration.
 
"Like SooHyuk? " Taeyang asked. 
 
" Well , he is my friend too, so I may just want to strangle him not bash his head. " Jiyong said.
 
" Only you can deal with what you're feeling. Let me point out though that Chae is still on a dating ban and your pursuing her should you proceed to do it may not sit well with YG himself. " warned Taeyang.
 
" I'm well aware Tae. " 
 
" I gotta go my friend . Tablo Hyung and I are going to work on some lyrics in his studio. You need time to think on your own ."
 
" Yah, yah. Go ahead leave me here. Do your work . Your album has been delayed long enough "
 
"Ouch. Leader be harsh "said Tae  feigning hurt while moving towards the door.
 
Left to himself again ', Ji thought about what was said earlier.  His friend was right , this "thing" with CL and him has been building up for quite some time . To him she started as a nuisance, then a conspirator, a friend, a confidante , a dongseng, a colleague , an equal , a very good friend  AND now someone he lusts after and one who could trigger his jealousy as easily as his libido, a feat which none of his girlfriends have achieved in the past. 
 
He always have had a one-track mind with girls. He is never one to play around but once he has found someone he likes, he works fast to get her. He is the type  who is immediately attracted . This progressively intensifying , roller coaster of emotions , the uncertainty of his actions ,this  need to "wait it out" thing he is experiencing with Chaerin  are certainly unchartered territories for him.  They are way past his comfort zone. 
 
Who the hell is Chaerin to me, that she makes me feel this damned unsure of myself  ? Jiyong thought clearly confused and infuriated at how he has become so attached to a girl and yet felt so hesitant to tell her. You just might be the death of me Chaerin, Jiyong thought.
 
AT A CAFE IN SEOUL 
2006 
 
Jiyong was excited to meet Sohee. But of course,  he had to act cool. He is a no non sense   kind of guy and he doesn't believe in long courtships. He'd kill the girl with his candor not his charm at first. And so far , his personal "win the girl on first-date " strategy has never failed him. When she's his gf already, that's when he amps up his charm and chivalry. Today will be no different he felt. 
 
Sohee will be meeting him today in this  cafe he had picked. It is quite a lesser known one but without the usual crowd . A bit pricey too, but for the privacy, the place is ideal. 
 
 An added attraction for Jiyong is that there are quaint shops and bookstores around the vicinity that sells vintage stuffs , various odds and ends that had piqued his attention . 
 
Just before he went to the coffee shop he dropped by one of his favorite gallery/ bookstore in the same building  and bought a couple of items that are now stowed in his car  for his mom and noona. For himself he bought an interesting illustrated children's book. The stories were fantastical but what sold him was that the stories were supposedly told by the father -author to his 2 kid daughters as bedtime stories. The owner of the store who was happened to be there volunteered the information that the book was written by her own brother for her nieces. That little back tory deeply touched Jiyong he bought the book.
 
Anyway, the coffee shop he was in now has that homey ambience that Jiyong thought was proper for his first date "ambush." That it is also very discreet as regards its customers is a plus too. 
 
While  he is not yet an idol of the top tier, he has enough face recognition . And for him to be seen in a cafe with a girl alone, would more likely spell trouble for his and his bands's budding career.
 
 Jiyong was playing with his cuppa when he noticed two girls entering the cafe looking-around. He immediately recognized Sohee who was looking mighty fine in a hip hugging jeans and a trench coat with an inner fitted top and boots . A girl was with her who , GD thought , looked straight out of a 90's hip hop video with her baggy jeans and plain shirt and a surprising confidence that GD honestly believed did not match the way she looked. 
 
Jiyong stood up to signal to  Sohee who immediately lit up with a flirty smile when she saw him. 
 
" Jiyong-shi. Hi. Was I late? Sorry. Did you wait long? Why didn't you send me a message you're already here. "'
 
" Nah no biggie. I had to do some business somewhere near and I finished earlier than expected so I just decided I'd stay here."  Jiyong assisted Sohee in taking off her coat then draped it on the back of her cushioned chair. 
 
Thinking that there would only be two of them, Jiyong chose a “couple spot” for them,  a bit secluded and with  only 2 couches directly facing each other between a table. He did not expect Sohee would bring a chaperone . 
 
Sohee sat on one of the couch. Without saying a word and while smiling she said. "So, what are we gonna do for the day? " 
 
Errr..Jiyong shifted uneasily looking at the other girl in confusion . 
 
The other girl despite her obvious exclusion quickly took the matter into her own hands ." Annyeong. I'm Lee Chaerin ,  Sohee's roommate."   She said without a hint of a smile.
 
" Um hi. Am Kwon Jiyong."  He said wondering why Sohee herself did not introduce them. 
 
"  I'll leave you guys alone" , the girl  named Chaerin said while looking  to a vacant chair a few meters away to the back of Sohee but within Jiyong's line of vision. That was abrupt, thought Jiyong. 
 
"Ok, Chaerin. Thanks , you may go now. " Sohee said dismissively 
 
Chaerin bowed a bit then left to sit on the space she was looking at earlier then  busied herself with her phone. 
 
" What was that all about.? " Asked Jiyong
 
" Don't worry yourself about it She's just a trainee assigned to me as roommate. We  have to be always together when we go out so she always tags along. She knows the drill and she hates it as much as I do., so we just give each other space" 
 
" Can't she just pretend to go out with you but proceed separately somewhere else"J iyong asked a bit miffed about dealing with a possible 3rd wheel. 
 
" We tried before , but we got caught . I don't want to lose favor with JYP again so I'm  really left with no choice. Just ignore her Oppa. She's not a talker a anyway. She'll find something to do on her own within the area" 
 
" She looks a bit on the eccentric side. Are you sure it's good for you to be in her company? Maybe you ought to request for a different room mate." Jiyong said.
 
" Uhm, " Sohee said hesitantly , " JYP doesn't really allow that. It's not like she would harm me Oppa. Maybe our personalities just don't match well. " 
 
"She dresses quite differently too. " GD said. 
 
" You could say that again. For someone who stayed in Paris she dresses up awfully bad doesn't she?" Sohee said disdainfully
 
"Paris? " He was surprised at this bit of info
 
" She hasn't really stayed that much in Korea. Her folks are in Paris but apparently she has relatives here still. An aunt and grandparents I think . But she could be a foreigner for her sheer  weirdness.  Anyway , we are devoting too much time on someone inconsequential . Aren't you going to buy me coffee Oppa.?" 
 
" Of course I would? What do you want? " 
 
"Tall non-fat decaf latte. " 
 
“Huh? “ Jiyong wasn't all that good in remembering coffee variations. 
 
Tall non-fat decaf latte, oppa. Sohee said with a laugh
 
“How about Pastries?” asked Jiyong.
 
“Naah. I'm getting a bit thick so I avoid pastries of any kind nowadays. Our debut is nearing you know. “  said Sohee cutely
 
“You look fine to me. Not a single extra fat . “ Jiyong retorted.
 
“Thanks . But you know as I do that the camera puts on ten pounds  so I need to be a little thinner to look good onTV. , Oppa. “ Sohee said.
 
“Ok , ok. It won't hurt if my girl looks good on TV.”  Jiyong said proudly.
 
“My girl? Aren't you being a little presumptuous? We just met “ Sohee replied mildly surprised. . 
 
“ I like you Sohee. And my guts tell me you like me too. I'm not being forward because I’m arrogant or anything. I’m not disrespecting you by implying you are easy also. I just hate to waste time. Let’s spare each other a lot of hardship by just calling it as it is” Jiyong said forthrightly.
 
Sohee looked at him rather shocked at his candor but then composed herself  "". Ok . Let's date. I appreciate your honesty. " she said in obvious admiration at her gutsy companion.
 
“I asked choreographer noona your number coz I like you. No point denying it and prolonging the inevitable,”  Jiyong said  
 
“Looks like we agree on something. I'm that way myself with people I want and don’t want. “ Sohee said.
 
"Good that we understand each other. "He said while placing his right hand over hers affectionately..."Wait,  I’ll  just go get you coffee , What was that you wanted again?  . I forgot "
 
 “You should pay attention to what your girlfriend likes Oppa. Tall non fat decaf latte” , she said for his benefit.
 
"Should I order for your roommate too ? " Jiyong asked I scouring the seat where Sohee's roommate sat herself earlier and finding it vacant . 
 
Sohee turned and noticed the same and said unflinchingly " No need for that. She seemed to have found entertainment somewhere else anyway " 
 
Jiyong stood up and proceeded to the counter to get their coffee . He has always had a hard time memorizing those damned coffee names. And with Sohee's preferred drink being a bit on the longer side , he felt more awkward placing his order. The hell with it. I'll just order latte, I'm pretty sure she won't taste the difference anyway,  Jiyong thought as he approached  the counter. 
 
Pre-occupied with his little problem, Jiyong queued behind five other persons . Just then he noticed that Sohee's roommate was just behind the person then ordering .And she was not alone. She was chatting up a storm with a white guy who seems to be an American,  Jiyong assumed. She was smiling and laughing freely.  The guy looked to be on the artsy side, with his blond hair tied up  and was wearing ripped jeans and a Red Hot Chili Pepper shirt. The pair was conversing in straight English , and far as he was and with his limited English, Jiyong could only make out a few words . AUNT. GALLERY, SALVADOR DOLLY . OR WAS IT DELI. But it sounds like doll anyways. PARIS . INSTALLATION. MUSE. LED ZEP. 
 
They seemed to be having an engaging conversation from what Jiyong could observe. Jiyong was both intrigued and intimidated with this girl.  When he saw her earlier he pegged her for a laced up uptight , y type-A kid. But a while later the same girl is flirting with a  foreigner as if it's  the most natural thing to her. She looks younger than Sohee maybe around 15 . But her self-assurance when she spoke with the older  guy was evident. Did she just meet him in the coffee shop ? Or was it an assignation which she did not mention to Sohee?  Certainly there is more than meets the eye with this girl Chaerin. 
 
Jiyong saw the girl proceed to the barista to place  her order. But before she could even say what she wanted, Jiyong noticed the barista calling her by name as if she's known to him. " Welcome back Miss Chaerin. I haven't seen you here in a long time. " He spoke in Korean " The regular Cafe Americano for you? With the blue berry muffin? " 
 
"Yes, please Minho" a smiling Chaerin replied.
 
"And for your companion ?" 
 
Tim, what are you having? she said to the American guy in her glorious English. 
 
"Just an espresso. " The American replied to the man behind the counter
 
“And add another order of Cafe Americano please. All to go, Minho-shi” . requested Chaerin politely
 
“Yes, Agasshi,” said the barista in mock courtesy.
 
“Hey, you stop calling me that. You're no longer working for my aunt , man. And even then I hated you calling me that when I'm just a kid. “
 
“Ha, ha. Chaerinah you haven't changed a bit my girl. Still easily riled.” Said the obviously amused barista.
 
To Jiyong's consternation , the barista kept on conversing with Chae while  punching in her orders. He expected the others behind her in line to stage a mini-revolt against the chirpy employee and the girl for delaying their coffee. He was surprised when  Chaerin herself turned around and  bowed an apologetic "Sorry, sorry" to the person next in line. The older woman behind her smiled at Chae and said " It's okay young lady. I'm enjoying your little banter" 
 
Tim paid for the order over the objection of the roommate that she should pay for hers. They waited on the side for their coffee and let out a jolly goodbye to the barista. While heading towards the exit, Chae saw Jiyong in  line . She smiled uncertainly and bowed at him in acknowledgement, paused for a while as if deciding over something , then stopped in front of Jiyong. " Uhm, Hi again. Tim this is Jiyong, my room mate's friend. Jiyong , this is Tim" she curtly made the introductions. The guys mutually nodded to each other and Chaerin said they'd have to go . The pair went out , iyong following the pair with his eyes as they walked out. 
 
Upon getting his orders ( inaccurate thought Sohee’s was), Jiyong returned to their couch and sat across his new girl.
 
"That took long" the GF noted
 
“There were many in line. Your room mate was there too with some American guy I think. “
 
" Really?  Where are they seated now? "Sohee said while sipping from her cup without any complaint whatsoever 
 
“They left.”  Jiyong said. 
 
“Ah, she must have picked him up here and brought her to her aunt's gallery shop. She did say it was somewhere near here. What a show off that girl is. It's not even like her dad’s or mom 's , but just her aunts . I'm sure that gallery' s full of secondhand used garbage. Who'd want to buy those? “ Sohee said in disgust.
 
Jiyong was tempted to say he would want to and in fact he did buy from among the shops  here but decided not to say so.  Sohee seemed to harbor much negative feelings towards her roomie and he could sense there must be a valid reason for this. 
 
So he let the matter of the roommate go for now and charmed his girlfriend with his stories of idol life to drown the bad vibes brought by the girl named Chaerin. 
 
MOVIE HOUSE DATE 2006 
 
GD , Soohyuk and Xin are already in the cinema house for the last full show of XMEN waiting for Sohee, and presumably her constant plus one , Chaerin to arrive.
 
SooHyuk really didn't want to go but GD bribed him with a free movie ticket and food .Xin then eagerly joined saying he does want to see the film.
 
GD is all too willing to shell out a couple thousands of won just to have the guys with him .  His friends are like his greatest alibis so every date with Sohee can look from the outside as a group outing. 
 
Although he'd come in dressed up very un-idol  like , he and Sohee must still keep a low profile. He has received warning from YG himself that some journalists have sent the company feelers of one of his idols being in a relationship. And the boss gave out a stern reminder to all 5 members to keep out of girl trouble. 
 
While Chaerin , of course was indispensable to the couple's cover up, GD could not get the incident at the cafe out of his head . GD thought the girl had a misplaced sense of superiority in front of other Koreans.  She was a different person with that American guy, more carefree and open . 
 
To GD it was insult that she was reticent, cold and proud to him and Sohee while she was lively and carefree with the foreign guy . To. GD's mind , it was as if she thinks herself too good for him , as if he weren't good enough, as if he wasn't her equal. He was definitely slighted by that . Just because she studied abroad doesn't mean she's any better than him! . 
 
His bad impression of her was also aggravated by Sohee's constant complaint that Chaerin seems to want to make all of the other JYP trainees  look bad by being intensely focused on her training , even if Sohee said she's doesn't get any better anyway. 
 
Despite GD and Sohee’s dislike of Chaerin, they  eventually came to acknowledge that for them to continue seeing each other unhindered, Chaerin must be dealt with  more indulgence. 
 
In some ways,  Sohee has learned to accept Chaerin as an accomplice of sorts so she has considerably mellowed towards the younger girl.  They are not really friends, and their relationship is more pragmatic than anything. 
 
GD himself has toned down considerably on his judgment of “the Roommate” as he had been prone to call her . 
 
He now realizes he actually must get Chaerin's cooperation for him to have more frequent dates with Sohee.  He has become more tolerant of her rather than annoyed at what he initially perceived as her standoffish ways. 
 
While the three guys were waiting for the girls , GD noticed that Xin kept on texting through his phone and he asked" Dude, who's that you've been texting nonstop?"  
 
Xin slightly  embarrassed said, "Just Chaerin ." 
 
"When have you two become such good friends?" asked GD
 
"Since he found out that Chaerin's dad is like a big robot collector and that he actually makes robots of his own . " answered SooHyuk back. "Cool huh? " 
 
"He is a physics professor right?  " declared GD in confusion. 
 
"He is.  And he creates  life size robots ! Man what would I do to get to know her dad "Xin said excitedly.
 
"So you've been bothering Chaerin? “ inquired Jiyong.
 
“Not really. I just wanted her to make an introduction or something. I’ll be off to London in a few months and her dad's in Paris right. It's meant to be.  I could drop by his workshop and see all those robots being made” Xin declared.  
 
“You are such a geek Xin.” Jiyong said.  
 
“Man, you'd be excited too if you're into robots and stuffs! Yeah, Chae also said her dad's got a vast collection of vinyl records . I bet you would find that  exciting!!  Man , she has the dopest dad. Chaerin even says he doesn't pressure her or her sister at all. The dad says it's your life not his. Cool right?”  Xin babbled.
 
Do you believe everything Chaerin says?   Jiyong asked annoyed that Xin and his unlimited Chaerin vignettes.
 
“Dude , I've no reason  to doubt her . “ Xin replied defensively,
 
“For a chill parent , he did produce a rather uptight daughter . She's got her head up in her so much that she forgets she's s a mere mortal like us too”  GD said jokingly
 
“That's cause you don't know her well Ji .  Chae has got to be the funnest,  upstanding , coolest girl there is . And that's a lot coming from a cool guy like me. “  Xin argued.
 
“So  , suddenly you are now the expert on all things roomie -related? I met her before you did” Jiyong observed with a hint of annoyance at his friend standing up for the roommate.
 
“Ji,” butted in  SooHyuk , “ Chaerin spends more  time with Xin and I  , well with Xin mostly, while you're busy canoodling with your girlfriend. 
 
“But she's so relentlessly stuck up to me and Sohee. That’s not cool” Jiyong said. .
 
“You guys have been  rude to her from the start , man..So maybe she's  just returning the favor. “ Xin said.
 
“ Which I don’t  get considering that , in  fact,”  interrupted SooHyuk “ you should kiss up to her , the way you do to us. She could basically make or break your relationship with your girl. “
 
“That's right! “ Xin said . "I mean she's the only one who knows as much about you and Sohee as we do . And she's not even your friend.  What would stop her from ratting you guys out? She's a good girl but she has her limits too.”
 
“But I have been kinder to her , because I too realized what you just [pointed out.“ , GD said. 
 
“Make more effort,    if at least to compensate for Sohee's iness.”  Xin said 
 
“Dude , don't call Sohee that “ Jiyong said. 
 
“Jiyong , much as I would want to say your girl is  an angel, you know she's not. Ok , “ “ maybe a bit overboard.  But she's rather nasty towards Chaerin. “ Xin said.
 
Just as he was about to defend her girlfriend , his vision caught the two girls walking towards their direction. Even from afar, he could distinguish who is who , given their contrasting fashion style. Sohee is feminine and classy through and through. And Chaerin is, well, Chaerin, She has her own unique  style. 
 
As soon as they arrived, Sohee kissed her boyfriend lightly on the lips. For some reason GD was a bit uncomfortable with such display more so it was in front of Chaerin and his friends. 
 
Chaerin on the other hand seemed to be inattentive to the sweetness between the couple  and was promptly horsing around with his two friends instead.
 
“Have you bought the tickets already?” Sohee asked. 
 
“Not yet” said Jiyong.
 
“Good!! Coz I realized I don't really like  to watch Xmen at all. I'd get bored through it. Sohee said. "How about we watch 200 POUND BEAUTY instead? Looks like a good movie." 
 
"How about NO?"  replied an annoyed Xin who was just ignored by Sohee
 
“Jiyong Opp!  I won't enjoy that cartoony movie I'm sure. It's surely be filled with  boring fight scenes and ugly costumes anyway . How do you expect a girl to like it? “
 
“How about we take a vote? “  said Xin . XMEN? Soohyuk, Xin and Chaerin raised their hands.
 
“Well, look Chaerin's a girl but she has no problem watching the movie.”  Jiyong said. “C’mon give it a try.  
 
“Chaerin's practically one of the boys.It's unfair to compare what I should like with her choices.  Please Ji . I really wanna see 200 pound beauty. It came  highly recommended by Yubin unnie.” Sohee pleaded.  . 
 
“How about we three watch Xmen and you two lovebirds watch that girl in a fat suit movie?”  Xin said with a fake smile.
 
“Xin , we need at least one of you three to accompany us , you know, just in case some douche  sees us . “ Said Jiyonng 
 
“ Don’t be so paranoid Jiyong. You two can watch it on your own. .  It's dark in the cinema .anyway . You won't be noticed.  Just act natural “ Xin said.
 
“Guys, that’s why I brought you with me to begin with so Sohee and I won’t have to be alone “ Jiyong pleaded.
 
"That's some  weird relationship you have if you're scared as to be alone with your girl.”, said Xin
 
We're  not a normal couple Xin. And believe me, I'm actually protecting our privacy by asking that you guys be with us, if that makes sense. 
 
“Guys, stop arguing”  Chaerin said.  “I'll join them two instead, pointing to Jiyong and Sohee”
 
All four pair of eyes were on Chaerin when she suddenly interrupted
 
“No Chae!  Just go with us and let them be on their own. I know you want to watch XMEN right?  Jiyong's   just bring overly cautious.” Xin exclaimed.
 
“It's ok Xin  oppa, I want to watch 200 pound beauty also anyway. So it really wont be much of a hassle.” Chaerin said
 
C’mon  you guys it’s getting late and we’re gaining an audience here!  Sohee whined
 
Xin and Soohyuk looked at each other . " Ok , if you say so Chae" Xin said with finality.,
 
Jiyong could only sigh in gratitude at Chaerin . She really did not have to accompany them to the sappy movie that Sohee wanted. Hell, he himself did not want to go. But to save all of them the trouble and the drama she just volunteered herself. 
 
As the foreign movie was to start earlier , the guys had to make their way fast and hurried after buying their tickets thus leaving the girls with Jiyong. 
 
It was then that Jiyong realized how painfully awkward their seating position would be. To make it more believable that he wasn't dating either girl,  he had to be seated between them two. If  the plus one were either of the two boys , Jiyong would definitely be more comfortable. 
 
Luckily, Sohee solved his dilemma by placing herself between Chaerin and him with Chaerin positioned nearer to the aisle. 
 
Jiyong was not one for romance flicks, but he did come to enjoy the film as it had so many comedic moments and because it parodied the music industry dealing with profit motivated music labels, plastic surgery amongst celebrities, ghost singing in the idol world  in a light hearted manner.
 
While in the last stretch of the film, he heard Sohee mutter "! 
 
Why? he asked.
 
“My contact lens just popped. !! “ Sohee said
 
“Can you see?” Jiyong said with concern
 
“Yeah but only clearly with one eye. Look Ji, I need to go to the powder room. Can you come with me? Oh crap you cant ! We might be seen. ! “She sighed.  “The movie is about to end anyway”. 
 
“Ask Chaerin.to accompany you”  
 
“Naah. Id rather do go by myself!”  she said stubbornly as she stood up leaving the only seat beside me and Chaerin now vacant
 
After Sohee left, Jiyong looked at the Roommate to find her completely focused on the film . Wait  was she crying? No doubt the cold , stuck up girl was shedding some tears. 
 
He smiled at this knowledge. He looked at the screen and realized she was focused on the senile father watching his completely made over daughter , in a concert , belting out a nice pop rock kind of song that kept on repeating Ave Maria. 
 
His phone then vibrated. Sohee texted him that she won't go back inside since the film was ending anyways and she knows how the ending goes . Sohee  said she will just wait for them at the coffee shop outside, since nobody would mistake Chaerin for his girlfriend anyway.
 
As the ending credits rolled out and the lights , he saw Chaerin lightly wiping off traces of her earlier emotion. She turned to Jiyong and said, “Where is Sohee ?”
 
“She'll wait for us outside” . He said a bit embarrassed that they were left alone together.
 
“Ok. “ She said. 
 
"MAKE MORE EFFORT" .  Xin's reminder kept on resonating in his head. Should I start a small talk!?" Did....did you like it?" he finally said . 
 
“Huh? “ she said a bit surprised at Jiyong's unexpected interest. 
 
“I mean, the movie? “ He said pointing to the screen.  “Did you find it any good?”  
 
“I liked it. Brings back a lot of memories.” She said.  
 
“Memories? Of what,”  Jiyong asked unaware that he might be deemed prying
 
“It's that last song. The band who sang the original version, Blondie, they're my dad's favorite. He played that song  non stop when we lived in. Japan.  The story and all, just made me miss my dad. “ Chaerin explained.
 
“That song was just a remake? Heck ,I thought that was original Korean music. “ Jiyong said surprised at the youngster’s knowledge of music.
 
As the crowd thinned, Jiyong prompted Chaerin that they ought to get moving out also. Both of them stood up and proceeded out of the cinema , walking at a friendly distance from each other. 
 
“I guess your dad's a music lover huh?” Jiyong said loud enough for her to hear.
 
 ‘”Yeah , he is. He has a collection of records from all over. Kinda grew up listening to rock but I liked hip hop best. “  the young girl said in reply
 
“You rap right?”  he asked changing the topic. 
 
“I try to. But I think I'm not good at it yet. I still haven't found my flow.” Chaerin admitted/  
“ Uhm.  I think , in due time you will. I used to be lousy at it too. But over time and with  guidance from some very helpful sunbaes, I got better.” Jiyong advised.
 
“ I hope I'll have that kind of mentorship too.  It's difficult wanting to rap, do hip hop and be a female in this country., “ she said  matter of factly without a bit of condescension . 
 
If it had been months back,Jiyong would have interpreted her comment as putting down Korea and acting superior because of her exposure to foreign cultures. But now he seems to understand , like Xin and SooHyuk already did, that the girl walking with him has no intention of acting superior. She is just different , so unlike any other girls he has met.
 
“Seems to me you're the kind to ram down any obstacle you see till you get your goal”. 
 
Chaerin looked at him quizzically then half-smiled. 
 
What a cool girl indeed, Jiyong had to admit. 
 
 
 
YG BUILDING 
2007
 
While riding the black van going inside YG,Gd noticed the usual random assortment of fans gathered around the building. They are patiently waiting with the hope of seeing their idols enter or leave YG. GD saw some  BIGBANG fans with posters , many  of S7ven's   and some 1tym fans too. 
 
His eyes wandered to the people flocking the facade of the building when suddenly he noticed a girl wearing a loose cut off shirt, baggy jeans and shades. She stood out against the rest as she was all hip hoppy while others clearly wanted to look feminine for their idol oppas. 
 
"Isn't that Chaerin? What is that girl doing here?"  Jiyong thought. He took a second look and was certain that  it was Chaerin he was seeing  indeed. Is it possible that Chae came here to spill the beans on his and Sohee's relation to all of YG?
 
" No that can't be the reason. " Jiyong concluded. After they had conversed at the movie house many months back, he and Chaerin gradually developed a common bond over music and the arts in general. Though not yet close, they have gotten more at ease with each other prompting even Sohee to complain to him jokingly once, that at times , she felt like the third wheel when he and Chaerin talk incessantly about artsy fartsy things .
 
Surprisingly,  Jiyong has also extended his generosity , normally accorded to his girlfriend alone, to the young Chaerin by giving her small trinkets whenever he gives gifts to Sohee. Of course Sohee would find it absurd that Chaerin must have gifts too, but GD assuages her concerns by lying that those small things are nothing but bribes so Chaerin would continue to cooperate with them . 
 
While that was initially his intention, , in truth,  GD had come to enjoy giving things to Chaerin as he discovered she had a sincere way of showing her appreciation for them. Once he gave her a couple of large rings with unique designs . A few days later,  he saw her wearing those rings bound together  as a necklace which she fashioned herself. 
 
While the van entered the building through the back unnoticed by the fans, Jiyong decided to ask Chaerin herself why she came by. He had recently gotten her number from Xin and contacting Sohee through  her had actually become more practical  at times so as not to raise further suspicions. 
 
He dialed her number and after a few rings she answered " Hello, Jiyong -shi" 
 
"Chaerin, I just saw you in front of the YG building . That's you in the black sleeveless shirt right ? " 
 
"Yeah. ". She answered as if hesitant to give more information.
 
“Is that all you can say. No reason at all why you came by here? 
 
“Uhhmm, I want to tell you really. But, ....I'm afraid I'll fall flat on my face. It's all done now anyway.” She said cryptically
 
“What are you babbling about Chaerin? “
 
“If all goes out well, you'll find out Oppa. Just a favor,  Please don't mention to Sohee you saw me , please. Trust me, this has nothing to do with you and Sohee.  Uhhmm, gotta go now Oppa.”  And she dropped the call. 
 
“Chae..”  he rushed to reply but she had already ended the call. What is going on with this girl? What is up with such secrecy, he thought to himself overcome with curiosity., Whatever floats her boat . As she said its not about Sohee , so Jiyong was sufficiently comforted by that assurance. 
 
A few days passed and Jiyong has seen Chaerin since then several times. In one of their cafe outings, out of Sohee's earshot, he would concoct ways to squeeze any information out of her by giving out ridiculous guesses why she went to YG that day. 
 
“Maybe you're my secret fan girl and you wanted to see me and scream your head off with the others at the sight of me?” . 
 
“Oh please, get real Oppa. If there's someone in your company I'm a fan girl of it certainly is not you! “ Chaerin hotly retorted. . 
 
“What? You're lying to your teeth. Nobody in  YG is as fan girl worthy as I am,!”  he said with mock cockiness. "Except for TOP , maybe" 
 
“If you must know , I like Teddy.”
 
“Teddy? He's a weird choice for a young girl like you. “ He was about to tease Chaerin more but then he noticed Sohee returning from the powder room. . 
 
“Oppa, stop teasing Chaerin please. People might think you two are a couple you know” . Sohee said snarkily. 
 
Chaerin and Jiyong looked at each other then laughed at Sohee's comment. 
 
“Don't be jealous like that baby.”  He said gently. 
 
“I'm not jealous. No offense meant Chaerin but I know you aren't any threat to me and Ji. But other people don't .” He then directed his attention to her BF . “ You are so careful to be seen sweet with me, but careless when it comes to how people may perceive you and Chaerin”  .
 
“Sohee-ah, we aren't doing anything even remotely gossip able “
 
“If you say so, anyways, I just wanted you to be careful. I don't want you being on a scandal with anyone else. “ She said giving him a full hug. 
 
Jiyong hugged back, but stole a brief glance at Chaerin giving her a consoling look as if to say he's sorry for the comments Sohee made. She smiled and gave him a nod of acknowledgement in return. And with that he knew , they had understood each other. 
 
 
YG OFFICE
A FEW DAYS LATER
 
Jiyong had just arrived at the YG Building and was rushing nervously towards CEO Yang's office when he saw Teddy, TOP and Youngbae about to enter their President’s room.  
 
He didn't know there's gonna be a meeting of sorts. He just received a curt message from YG himself telling him to come to his office at 10 am as he needs to ask him something personally.  Truth is, he thought YG may put him to task about the Sohee matter, but with the other boys around he is not sure anymore of what has got the CEO all fired up and wanting to see them .
 
Jiyong caught up with YB as they went inside the room and whispered to him " Any idea what we are here for?”  
 
“ Teddy said YG's going to show us an audition tape of a possible new trainee that he's excited for and wants to get our thoughts on. “ YB replied
 
Jiyong now became more curious than ever. While CEO would occasionally ask their thoughts on some trainees , they were never convened all together in his office like this, Damn, whoever that trainee is, he might have impressed YG so much . Could he be a competitor for him and the boys? Would he be a new Big Bang member? Jiyong's  imagination ran  freely. 
 
Just then, YG himself entered his office and smiled at them . 
 
“Guys, take a seat. I know you are all busy working on your music , so I will cut to the chase…” He said then paused.  ‘More than a week ago, while I was about to leave our building, someone approached me and gave to me a CD .”  YG recounted with a relish of a master storyteller. “
 
“ It was a demo CD. The girl just said , " For your consideration"  and then she left. Given that we do receive so many demos here and there, I was not compelled to even watch it. But the demeanor of that girl interested me. She was so confident of herself , so sure of her person that she was unfazed when she saw me. I saw strength in that young girl’s eyes that I rarely see even  in adults I know.  So because of the girl, I decided maybe I ought to give whoever was in that demo CD a chance , just watch and listen to it”  
 
How very YG, Jiyong thought. This long-winded story is making him all the more itching to find out. 
 
“So I watched the video and  I saw the very same girl doing her demo.”  YG continued.
 
“The new trainee is a girl? “ said Jiyong
 
“Yes , Jiyong . A girl rapper to be exact. Watch for yourself.”  
 
With great dramatic flair, YG the large TV Screen in his office to show a brown haired girl inside a room dressed in a plain shirt and track suit, smiling before the camera then proceeding to rap herself to death. She was rapping with the force and fierceness of a professional and in straight English at that. She was throwing cuss words like nothing while grooving to the rhythm  of her flawless flow. 
 
The four invited guests were silent as they were engrossed in the sound of the young girl's verses. 
 
Jiyong of the four was the most surprised as he saw Chaerin transforming into a performer before his very eyes. 
 
He was completely taken aback.  Sohee said Chaerin practiced a lot but she was not good enough for JYP even as a singer or a dancer. But damn, that rap. She was perfect thought GD !  She is perfect for YG. 
 
“Wow! What was that?” Jiyong heard YB said . Who is that girl Sajangnim? He added excitedly. 
 
“Hold your horses Youngbae. Her name is..”  .
 
“ Lee, Chaerin”  Jiyong said 
 
“You know her.?” asked YB
 
“Ahh , yeah . She's already a trainee at JYP”
 
“Aah. So I'm assuming you know her through Sohee? asked YG
 
“Sajangnim….” “ Jiyong exclaimed.. 
 
“ I'm not one to mince words Jiyong. Of course, I know of Sohee. That was why I warned you before to keep it all in the down low. And you have, so I don't interfere. …So you know her through Sohee? “ inquired YG
 
“ Yes, Sajangnim. Chaerin and Sohee are roommates in fact, so I kind of hang out with her too”  
 
And you didn't know she's sending this demo? asked YG
 
“ I didn't even know she raps that well. Sohee told me she's kinda average. And Chaerin always says the same. I'm surprised myself at how good she is.” admitted Jiyong.
 
“ She's not just good Jiyong. That's some crazy talent she has there .”  Teddy said. 
 
“ It will be good to have a new female rapper around and one who speaks good English at that” said TOP. 
 
“ Have you contacted her? “ Teddy asked
 
“ Yes, just early this morning. She needs to wrap things up with JYP and clear things with her parents. Unfortunately, they are both abroad and of course she's still a minor so we decided to have her sign the training contract around ten days from now. That'll give her mom and dad time to fly back here. “ explained the President.
 
“Where are her parents at? “ Taeyang asked.
 
“ They're in Paris “ , Jiyong answered 
 
“ You mean she's alone here in Korea? “ Taeyang asked again obviously interested .
 
“ From what I know, she has an aunt and grandparents here but she is rather independent so she's basically on her own here .” Jiyong replied.  
 
“ But she's so young . She looks just about 16”  Taeyang said showing much concern for a girl he has not even met.
 
“ And thinks like she's 50.”  Jiyong said. “ Don't  worry Bae. She's a pro at taking care of herself dude. I think the parents raised her that way. “
 
“ I can't wait to meet this girl,”  YB said with obvious excitement and anticipation. 
 
“Calm down lover boy” , Jiyong said. “She's just 16”  
 
“ Aish. Ji, don't read too much into it. I just find her genuinely interesting. No need to get jealous. “
 
“.”  Jiyong said while punching YB lightly. “ Am not jealous” . 
 
“ If you say so. “ YB said 
 
“You're not her type by the way. She is a fan of Teddy's. “ Jiyong said to Taeyang
 
“ Well, then I must agree. This girl has exceptionally good taste.”  Smirked Teddy. 
 
‘ Jiyong, since you know her already, I suppose it would be better if you can guide her through her first few days so she can settle in ?  “ YG instructed the leader.
 
“ Of course, I'll be glad to help.”  Jiyong said obligingly. 
 
“ You guys, “ YG directed towards Teddy, Teayang and TOP,”  she'll be working closely with you too so she can refine and polish her raps so I expect you to help her out. I want to feature her in one of the year-end Gayos ,  so she better be prepped for that.”  
 
“ I think she doesn't write her own material yet so I've also asked Perry to write English raps for her. “ said YG
 
“ Perry has seen this tape?”  asked Jiyong, surprised that one of YG’s best , most private , reclusive and picky sunbaes has actually seen the demo. He did not involve himself in just any project.
 
“ Yes, “ YG said “ He was impressed needless to say. OK, back to the grind house all of you. “
 
As  Jiyong went out of the CEO's office he realized this was the secret Chaerin has kept from him the past week. Crazy girl, he thought with a smile. She will do well here , he predicted knowingly. 
 
Just then, his phone rang with a call from Sohee. He found an unoccupied practice room and answered, " Hey Babe" 
 
"Oppa! “ he heard Sohee exclaim over the other line. “Have you heard the news? 
 
Jiyong had an idea that Sohee might be referring to Chaerin's imminent transfer to YG, but he did not want to presume so he said " What news?" 
 
“Chaerin is leaving JYP for YG!”  she said loudly 
 
“ Oh that. Actually, YG just told us just a while ago” 
 
“How could she do this behind my back! She must have used her connection with you through me to get in your company? Don't you feel used?” Sohee screamed.
 
“ Babe, I had nothing to do with her acceptance. It was all YG's decision.” He said 
 
“I know , but God knows what stories she could have concocted just so she could have your people there convinced that you were supporting her or something” Sohee accused.
 
“ Sohee, YG's not that stupid . Chaerin did it on her own without making up stories. “ he said
 
“ But she's not even that good. Is your company now into accepting other agencies' rejects? “ Sohee exclaimed
 
“Babe, I don't know why you are upset but there's no need to throw shade at my company.”  
 
“I'm sorry Oppa. But the gall of that girl irks me to no end!. I've tolerated her for the past year because I had to for our relationship. But this! .She's gone way overboard! “
 
“ Tell me what is wrong with her moving to YG? “ Jiyong asked truly curious why
 
“ You're a guy Oppa so I don't expect you to discern a girl's true intention. I  have a feeling she's doing this to get closer with you. “
 
Whaaat? 
 
“I think she likes you. And what better way to take you away from me than to be part of YG! I'll be out of her way .
 
Jiyong laughed at his girlfriend's possessiveness. Sohee, you are so cute when you get jealous but seriously? Do you see me and Chaerin getting together for real? Come on. She's just a dongseng to me. 
 
Well, if you put it that way. Arrgh. But she really irks me.  That girl. 
 
Well then, wouldn't it be good that she 's no longer there to annoy you constantly? Besides, you wouldn't have to bear  her presence during our dates. You'll be without chaperone until you get a new roomie! Isn't that good? 
 
I guess so. Let's not talk about her anymore. Oppa, have you gotten the new bag I asked you for last time? 
 
Yes, Babe. It will be delivered to your dorm anytime today. 
 
Oh thanks Oppa! I was wondering if you have forgotten about it . You see, I told my friends I already bought it and they were asking me to show it to them . You really are the best boyfriend. Saranghae Oppa, Sohee said sweetly. 
 
Anything for you Babe. He said content that he has made her so happy with just a bag. 
 
TEN DAYS LATER 
CONTRACT SIGNING
YG BUILDING
                      
The YG Building to Jiyong is a living , breathing entity. One can feel the collective excitement in it whenever something major is going to happen at YG. As soon as Jiyong entered the building, he felt the anticipation  in the atmosphere . All these because of Chaerin? YG must have really seen something in her. 
 
He has not seen nor spoken with Chaerin since finding out of her impending transfer. He felt no need to bother her with a call seeing as they'd be sure to bump into each other eventually. 
 
He entered the recording studio shared in common by Teddy and Bigbang to find it empty which was weird as more often than not Teddy hibernates here. 
 
He was tinkering with one of his composition ,when YB and Teddy entered suddenly bustling with excitement. 
 
What a cool girl! Taeyang said
 
And her parents aren't too shabby either. Hey Jiyong, you were here all along? YG's been looking for you.. He's with Chaerin and her parents in his office.  Taeyang said .You better go there. YG just bragged about you and told the Lees that there's no need to worry for Chaerin as she has a friend in the company.
 
Jiyong looked at his phone which he had kept on silent mode to see five missed calls and a smattering of text messages from YG himself. He must really need me there. 
 
With a sigh, Jiyong stood up and proceeded to his boss' office. He entered freely as he had always done so to see YG entertaining a man , who appears to be Chaerin's father with the toy collection displayed in his office. Chaerin and her mother were seated in the couch located in the middle of the room seemingly deep in conversation. 
 
YG noticed his entry and said,  " Well, here is Jiyong himself " . Chaerin's father turned and Jiyong noticed that like his daughter he has a distinct eye smile and an aura that can't be missed. Unlike the usual professor though who prefers to be formal, he was wearing simple jeans and a shirt . 
 
Jiyong approached the two men first and bowed in respect then turned himself to the direction of Chaerin and her mother then made another bow. 
 
This is Chaerin's father professor Lee Ki Jin  , professor this is the young man I have told you about , Kwon Jiyong , one of our best young rappers. 
 
Why does his name sound familiar? Thought Jiyong
 
Young man, I'm honored to meet you. Your president has nothing but good words. , he said. 
 
It's my honor Sir.  Jiyong said
 
Mrs. Lee, this is Jiyong , Chaerin and him have known each other even while she was at JYP.  YG said.
 
Nice meeting you Jiyong. It's good to know my daughter knows someone here already . Although I'm not exactly worried for her as she knows how to take care of herself anyway. 
 
Chaerin kept silent all throughout the exchange and barely spared Jiyong a glance. 
 
If the two of you are friends, how come the atmosphere here is  so tense? The professor pointed out with characteristic sensitivity. 
 
Dad, stop prying. Chaerin said gently. 
 
I am not prying , merely curious , the professor said
 
Ok, if you must know I did not inform him of my application here. 
 
Why didn't you? the professor asked
 
I didn't want to make it appear to him that I was asking for his help 
 
Why not?  prodded Mr. Lee
 
Because I want to be accepted here because  I earned it. Not because I know someone . She said proudly and with a smile. 
 
Ha, ha, That's my girl. the professor said lightly draping his arms around her happy daughter
 
“And she had definitely earned the right to be here professor ‘YG said
 
I have to tell you CEO Yang that Chaerin was not as excited as this when she entered JYP. She-actually wanted to be here at YG all along. She said she kept on sending her demos but got no response from your people. 
 
She did? That demo she handed to me was the first one I saw of her though. I may have to revamp our training and recruitment division because of you Chaerin. If they fouled up on an obvious choice like you, I wonder how many others they have let slip under their noses? He said in jest  .
 
It's a good thing our daughter knows a thing or two about trying despite the odds. It's her persistence that's one of her more endearing qualities, said her mom. 
 
C'mon guys, you’re embarrassing me in front of my boss and colleague. Chaerin said adorably 
 
Parents exist to embarrass and continually ground their children , so that no  matter how popular or how capable they become, you kids will always be reminded that once they were just but little girls who  crave for their dads made up bedtime stories.
 
Dad ! Chaerin said “Thank you for letting me stay a while more.” she said hugging him tightly. 
 
Jiyong and CEO Yang watched the sweet moment unfold as the father  said, "Chae, we won’t stop you for as long as you love what you do . I've never been prouder of you than now, knowing how hard you worked to get this spot. You've earned the right to stay in Korea."
 
“Was she supposed to leave professor? “ asked YG
 
“We gave her an ultimatum. If she doesn't debut or got accepted here at YG by  the year end, she's returning to Paris to continue her studies. JYP was not really a match for her skills. And Teddy isn't there .” He laughed heartily.
 
Chaelin. blushed  like a tomato to Jiyong's amusement, "Dad..," 
 
Oh I see. Do you have a crush on Teddy ? YG asked.
 
Not like that Sajangnim. I want to work with him and had been a fan for the longest time.  
 
But you did say to me once hyung was your ideal right? Jiyong chimed in. 
 
Oppa, I did not.!It's a purely professional liking, you know.
 
Anyway, Chaerin just some heads up, the easiest way to Teddy's heart is to gift him with miniature of your Dad's robots . He is a collector as I am. 
 
I would want to do  that  and help my daughter in her romantic pursuit of Teddy, but I'm commissioned to do robots in Paris so I can only work on miniatures by next year. Would Teddy consider accepting children's books instead you think?  
 
Books that you wrote professor? Asked YG
 
Yes, with the help of Chaerin and her sister Harin. They're collection of stories I told them when they were young. 
 
Jiyong suddenly remembered why the name Kijin Lee was so familiar to him 
 
Is that book by any chance Headbutt Kkkakka? 
 
Yes Jiyong. It is . Have you read it? 
 
I bought it from a gallery shop near   Hongdae almost a year ago. The gallery owner said her brother wrote it. Jiyong said realization of his serendipitous connections with Chaerin running through his head. 
 
Ha, ha. Then you had already met my sister and Chaerin's aunt. Hasn't Chaerin toured you in there yet? 
 
Jiyong abstained from answering his question, as he was a bit ashamed that her parents were so nice because they were under the impression that the two of them were close, when  in fact they're barely friends and dealt with each other just because of Sohee. So he said instead, " Wow. I've actually met the author of my favorite  book. And the stories there were of Chaerin? " 
 
Yes, as the  book said
 
I'm so mind blown right now, with these amazing connections , Jiyong said in astonishment. But the Chaerin in that book was so cute and adorable. What happened to you ? pointing the question to the quiet Chaerin trying to break the ice between her and him. 
 
Yah, Jiyong oppa. No need to insult me. That's not the way to treat a new trainee. Although, I'm not surprised that your still prefer  a children's book,  says a lot about you Oppa.  
 
The adults laughed at the banter between the youngsters. The professor said, " Drop by  my sister's  gallery anytime. You can go with Chaerin one of these days. She loves to hang out there and meet tons of interesting creative people. I have a feeling you'd enjoy being around them  too" 
 
CEO Yang,we have to go now. We have but a short time to spend here in Seoul as we will return by tomorrow to Paris. Thank you very much for taking Chaerin in. He bowed humbly. Please train her well so she wouldn't be forced out of Korea. He said with a disarming sense of humor.
  
You can trust my word for it professor. She will be sufficiently looked after. 
 
REHEARSAL FOR 
2007 SBS GAYO DAJEUN 
 
Two months had passed since Chaerin's training started and to her credit , Jiyong observed  that she has adapted well to the trainee life at YG , more so than when she was at JYP. She appeared happier and carefree, more and more like the Chaerin he saw at the cafe with the white guy when he first met Sohee. 
 
To Jiyong it only reinforced Xin's perception before that Chaerin was only uptight and cold with Sohee and made Jiyong feel not just a little guilty that he somehow was dragged into judging Chaerin through his girlfriend's negative biases. 
 
Jiyong now understood that although he loved Sohee, their relationship has always been with just each other. She's not friends with Xin or SooHyuk or Nuthang . Neither was he friends with her circle. Their relationship is clearly removed  from the other aspects of their lives. 
 
With this reasoning, Jiyong decided that even if Sohee doesn't like Chaerin , he would nevertheless want to be friends with her, like Xin and SooHyuk seem to be. He has to admit, Xin was right and the more he gets to know Chaerin the more he realizes how enjoyable her company is, more so when Sohee is not around. 
 
Little by little, Chaerin became initiated into Jiyong's YG and Nuthang circles , a part of his life which Sohee herself has not even penetrated. 
 
Xin, who is now in London, regularly communicates with Chaerin more than with Jiyong and Soohyuk even. As soon as Jiyong entered the practice room , he saw Chaerin cooped up on one side of the room talking with Teddy and Youngbae. She has a sheet of paper and a pen with her , apparently the lyrics to her rap. 
 
Today will be their  first run through of the YG family production for the SBS Gayo Dajeun. They have practiced their individual portions separately and  it's the first time that each of them would see the entirety of the performance. 
 
As YG said, he wanted to feature Chaerin in the production. Unfortunately, she would be the only female to perform as the concept was the hip hop YG through the years. Jinusean, 1Tym; Bigbang ,and s7even  were all in the rehearsal room creating for a mildly chaotic atmosphere. 
 
YG , hands on as ever, called everyone's attention so that rehearsal could start. " Everybody, no need to introduce you to one another . You guys know how rehearsal works. For those who don't , and I'm referring to our new trainee Lee Chaerin, who some of you may not have met yet, just watch and listen to your sunbaes, any way your rap is the last and final part and you won't be shown until after S7even's dance break. You have less than half a minute to make an impression with your rap, so show us what you and Perry came up with. 
 
Have you heard her material Hyung? S7even asked YG
 
Nope , my ears have not been tainted yet with whatever genius Perry brought about this time. This would be the first time I'll hear it like the rest of you. 
 
I've heard it. Teddy said and smiled at Chaerin. But I will let you judge for yourselves.
 
" So now we start with you boys ." And the rehearsal thus began with each of the group singing their most popular songs from Telephone, Ayo, Lies along with the others.S7even 's dance break followed and thereafter Chaerin was prompted to position herself in the middle of all the guys. 
 
Starting out a little bit embarrassed, she then proceeded to mouth off the verses which she has been practicing solo for the past week :
 
"uh uh whatcha know 'bout this girl type flowin
let me know this what you want it and I'm doing it
steady controlling it baby whip that I'm holding him
down down now wicked when I'm showin 'em
who got the rhyme who got the flow
who got the shot who got the dough
and I be real as can be C-H-A-E-R-I-N you can't see me
now who we? "
 
Silence ensued then a large sigh of relief and applause from Sean. "Whew, for a while there I thought Hyung must have been out of his mind putting you  out there with very minimal training . But by god , what a great way to introduce you. I don't know if it's good or bad, but I have a feeling you will shock the hell out of South Korea. 
 
Thanks, sunbae. I'll work really hard to polish and perfect this piece. 
 
Hyung, seems like you have another workaholic , like Jiyong, in your hands! I just complimented her work and now she's already thinking of making it better.  
 
These two are like two faces of the same coin. They might disagree with me but that's how I see them as.  YG said
 
“Like twins you mean?”  Daesung interjected .But Chaerin's a lot prettier than Jiyong Hyung. 
 
"We are not alike. "
"We are not alike"  Exclaimed both CL and Jiyong loudly.and simultaneously 
 
This is my point exactly, observed  CEO Yang to the boisterous laughter of everyone present that resonated throughout the room. 
 
PRE-DEBUT 
LATE 2008 
 
Jiyong stared blankly at the mural inside the cafe of a long haired woman riding a bicycle. This is the very same cafe where he met Sohee and CL more than 2years ago. It's exclusivity and seclusion provided more solace to Jiyoung now more than ever. His relationship with Sohee is a mess capped by a shouting match  that happened earlier in the week.
 
Sohee broke up with him, over the phone. 
 
He's had an inkling she would do this, but his pride and ego stopped him from acknowledging it to himself. No one left him. He is the one who breaks it off. 
 
But Sohee did it. She wanted a career in the US , that much she said. A boyfriend in Korea will pull her back from that dream. 
 
He was shocked that Sohee could be ruthless and unfeeling in the way she cut him off. Almost three years is a long time for him. And his emotional investment on the girl had been so much that her leave taking took him by surprise. 
 
Wounded pride and force of habit caused him to feel depressed. 
 
As he was moping in a dark , hidden area of the cafe, he noticed that save for around three others, no one else was in the cafe until he heard the door open and a cheerful greeting was exchanged between the  café’s employee and the new visitor. 
 
Interested, he sneaked a peek at the counter only to find Chaerin chatting happily with the barista. 
 
He stood up and approached her and called to her gently, Chaerinah 
 
Jiyong Oppa,  , Why are you here this late? 
 
I could ask you the same? 
 
My aunt's on a vacation so I'm staying at her gallery while she's not around. 
 
You could stay there? 
 
Yeah she has pad built inside. 
 
And YG agreed? 
 
I did not ask.  By yourself?  Sohee?? Chaerin asked while grabbing her cup 
 
She's not here
 
You guys fought again. 
 
Chae she broke up with me . 
 
Chaerin was silent 
 
Why aren't you surprised ? Jiyong asked
 
You've been fighting a lot . I heard she's setting her sight on a debut in the US. I'm not a genius but I can put two and two together. 
 
Jiyong silently went back to his nook with Chaerin following him. 
 
Are you ok?  Jiyong asked/
 
What do you think?
 
I think you're shocked and sad. You 'be been with her as long as I know you. That is a long time to get used to someone.  Chaerin stated.
 
Do you remember ,  I met you two here. That's why I think it was best for me to say goodbye to Sohee here
 
Chaerin stifled a little laughter. 
 
What?  Jiyong said
 
I didn't think you could be so dramatic. I'm sorry it's not that I am laughing at you. But you do look funny.
 
You're my friend Chaerin but Im still your sunbae. 
 
I'm sorry Oppa. I'm just not used to you being all this serious
 
He kept his expression stern but Chaerin's laughter and gigling was so sudden , spontaneous and contagious that he felt a grin slowly escaping from his mouth
 
Suddenly the two of them for no reason laughing like crazy kids.
 
Chaerin, stop it.
 
You stop it...Oppa. 
 
I can't seem to. 
 
Me neither. 
 
Ha, ha, ha, ha.   
 
I'm going crazy Chaerin. Jiyong said wiping away a tear. 
 
No you're not Oppa. You are simply not used to being dumped. It's completely alien to your egotistical system. 
 
How about a bit of holding back Chae. I'm suffering here. 
 
I think you should not baby your heartbreak , it will take time but you'll get used to being without her
 
I've been so used to being with her I can't imagine otherwise. You won't understand because you haven't been in a relationship
 
But I have been in one. So I do understand.  Chaerin explained
 
When? I've known you since you were 15 
 
I was 13 he was 15. He's the son of one of a family friend  from Paris.
 
French? 
 
No, Korean-American actually. 
 
 We stayed with them in Paris initially so we became close since he was the one who showed me around. We did everything like normal kids dating do
 
But you were just 13. Did he kiss you? 
 
No.
 
Then that's just puppy love Chae, cute but not serious
 
I kissed him. But he said it was disgusting swapping saliva with me
 
He said that? 
 
Not to my face, I overheard him telling his friend. Apparently , I was  girl no 7 on his target list. 
 
He's a douche.  Jiyong said strongly
 
You got that right. So you see I know rejection. I 've felt it, lived it. Trust me, the last thing you should do is to pity yourself. Just get through it day by day, night by night. Grasp every chance of  joy or amusement you can from every little thing. Each day the pain will lessen 
 
 That douche certainly did a number on you Chae. 
 
He must have had. 
 
Aren't there anyone of the other trainees showing any interest on you? 
 
None. 
 
Well, coz you're too scary sometimes Jiyong said.
 
I am not! 
 
Even Hwangssabu-nim is scared of you. 
 
Of course not! 
 
He is!  He told me your sheer will to get things done is both awe-inspiring and intimidating
 
He is awed by me , not scared. 
 
Trust me Chae in a boy-girl relationship awe is like fear, it's a romance killer
 
But that's just Hwangssabu. It's not like he is my type. That voluminous bulk of muscle is so not attractive
 
Remind me to tell him THAT.. when we have our sessions with him. He is not attractive huh? You're gonna get your kicked. 
 
Not to brag, but there is a reason why he is awed by me Oppa, That is because I can deliver whatever he requires. 
 
That, that kind of braggart attitude scares potential suitors
 
Please oppa! I do not exist to be courted. 
 
That's what you say now, but I bet a hundred dollars you would be changing your tune after your debut. …..  Why don't you try wearing skirts for a change huh? Or something pink. Guys like to see legs you know. 
 
I can be feminine and adorable in my sweats and track suits oppa.  
 
I know that, because I already know you but potential suitors must be baited with legs and pink things first. Didn't I give you a skirt before? I haven't seen you wear that. 
 
I can't.   Chaerin protested
 
Why? 
 
I have cankles  
 
Cank ..what?  
 
Thick ankles. 
 
Chaerin..you are so. ...and Jiyong burst into unstoppable laughter again. 
 
Jiyong's melancholy earlier , without him knowing, has been substituted by a warm, fuzzy feeling because of Chaerin .    
 
In the weeks and months to come,  just because he discovered it made him feel better , Jiyong transferred all his energy into helping Chaerin ( and 2ne1) like she was his YG project. He suggested Xin as stylist. He suggested and produced a collaboration between their 2groups.  He helped in the debut video even doing a cameo. He was present at photoshoots,and music show pre-recordings . He was an invisible presence during most 2ne1Tv shoots. 
 
It was as if Jiyong poured his heartbreak unto everything Chaerin career related.    
 
Xin , who came back from London, declared his suspicion of Jiyong's  abnormal attachment to Chaerin when he confessed to him of his feelings for the girl. Even YG was concerned enough to confront Jiyong with his observation that Jiyong appeared to have developed an emotional dependency on Chaerin. 
 
YG was quick to say though that he thinks that there was nothing romantic about Jiyong's feelings but that he just found in Chaerin a connection with his past with Sohee that's why he attached himself to her, that somehow Chaerin became a bridge between Sohee and Jiyong.
 
In his confused state, Jiyong was somehow persuaded by YG's interpretation of his actions towards  Chaerin . Wanting to detach himself from all things Sohee, he finally agreed to YG's long-standing plan to promote his own solo career and to be more active with BigBang's Japanese activities. 
 
With all these work in his hands, Jiyong felt that he could wean himself a bit from Chaerin, a task that he doesn't relish but must do. . Chaerin had provided a balm, a soothing , calming presence after the chaos caused by Sohee. But with Xin staking his claim on Chaerin , Jiyong knew he must back off from her so that his friend could have his chance .  There would be separation anxiety , he is sure . But for everyone’ s peace of mind, he needed to keep his space. Japan , he thought, would be his shelter this time. 
 
 
DECEMBER 26 2009
YG REHEARSAL ROOM
 
Jiyong entered the practice room with unwanted excitement. He will be performing "Leaders" with Chaerin, just the 2of them, in one of the year end shows. Teddy said the concept of the show of boys vs girls would fit better if the song was performed by just the 2 of them, an idea which was agreed to by CEO Yang himself. 
 
While in Japan, YG broached to him the idea of performing a duet with CL. Jiyong laughingly replied to YG, "Wasn't it your idea that I should detach myself from too much Chaerin ? Now you are practically shoving her to my face?" 
 
Jiyong, it's been months so I'm pretty sure you’re cured from your Chaerin addiction. You are alive and happy aren't you? Besides, I have it on good authority that you are being constantly entertained by a certain Japanese model. So , ...
 
You know far too much Sajangnin but too little at the same time. said Jiyong How is Chaerin? 
 
Haven't you spoken with her? 
 
After  Jiyong made the decision to focus  more on promotion for his solo and Japanese activities, he had gradually and consciously made an effort to lessen communication and contact with her. It was a good thing that “Leaders”  had already been recorded and though it is part of his album, it will not be promoted.  He left for Japan after wrapping up his solo activities in Korea without saying a proper goodbye to Chaerin. He was civil and good natured in her presence but never overly attentive or as focused on her unlike in the past. He tried to divide  equally his attention with the other 2ne1 girls as a way of creating a distance between Chaerin and himself.
 
In all these he had no idea how Chaerin must feel .He nevertheless thought this was for the better. 
 
Despite laughing it off, he was quite taken aback by YG's request of performing “Leaders”  live with Chearin in a Gayo show as a duo. 
 
That would be the first time he will perform the song live and only with Chaerin at that so he was understandably  both nervous and excited . She was a dynamite of a performer, the only one at YG, in Korea,  whom his own ego honestly thought could match pointblank  him , performance wise.
 
While Japan held its own attractions and he enjoyed staying there , Korea  was home. Xin did introduce to her Kiko Mizuhara  the model YG was referring to. He was totally attracted to Kiko. This model though was a challenge, because unlike any other girl, the first date ambush did not work on her. So Jiyoung was all the more intrigued. They are dating but nothing as serious as Sohee's..That girl had ruined him in a bad way. 
 
While in Japan, he had unconsciously found himself shopping not only for himself but for Chaerin also. At times he caught himself thinking he would buy some trinkets  because Chaerin would probably buy them too. In fact he had collected a sizable loot of accessories that he has stored  in his dorm in Japan as unsent gifts intended for Chaerin. 
 
Once,  while in an outing with Kiko at the amusement park with several friends, he saw a unique belt in one of the novelty shops there, without batting an eyelash he bought it to the surprise of Jiko who just asked GD whom  the gift was for. Jiyong said it was for his sister, afraid that she might get the wrong impression about Chaerin and him. 
 
As much as he missed Chaerin's company, Jiyong stopped himself from constantly calling or texting her. She did of course text and only then would he reply  in  a perfunctory  manner.. But he never ever , sent one message unsolicited. 
 
The excitement and nervousness all melded  when he was entering the rehearsal room. How has Chaerin been doing all these months? 
 
The subject of his thoughts was the first he saw upon entering .She was seated and in a an animated conversation  with his best tried Taeyang. They were holding a cellphone and appeared to be laughing over something they were watching in his cellphone 
 
Chaerin was slapping Taeyang and he in turn was smiling so widely. Then simultaneously they saw saw him approach.
 
 Hey bro, 
 
Chaerin was silent.Then said: “Jiyongshi “
 
 What were you two laughing about
 
I showed her all the clips we had of our shoot show in that Japanese amusement park and ghost house . Dae was so funny looking
 
Chaerin was silent but still smiling making no further comment 
 
Suddenly TOP was heard calling Taeyang to help him rehearse the steps in one of the dance routine. Tey stood up leaving the two leaders alone in a tensed and awkward atmosphere.
 
“Hey,” Jiyong said to break the tension
 
Chaerin did not respond
 
“Is there something wrong” Jiyong asked
 
Chaerin looked at him almost as if he was kidding and said  "Nothing" 
 
Jiyong knew that Chaerin must have been a little hurt over his staying away suddenly but was too proud to voice it out 
 
 In a moment, one of their managers came in to explain what the concept of their performance would be.When it was the leaders turn , they were given the revised lyrics for two and the choreography was demonstrated .
 
Uhmm. Hyung, Jiyong said. I don't think these lyrics would be appropriate for a duo performance. Also, shouldn't the choreography include more interactions between Chaerin and I ? 
 
Cl said,” I agree about the lyrics but the the choreo is fine. I don't really see the néed for much interaction as you say, this is not a love song anyway”.
 
She must really be mad at me, Jiyong thought. 
 
The manager said, “I have to agree with Jiyong. Am going to speak with our main choreographer and tweak the moves a little. You two, go to the studio and work on the lyrics.” 
 
But..said Chaerin.
 
No “buts” Chaerinah. We're pressed for time as it is. 
 
Chaerin sighed in resignation .  So? She said 
 
What? Jiyong asked. 
 
Let's go. They silently proceeded to the studio where Chaerin sat without a word on the couch as Jiyong positioned himself right across her. 
 
Chaerin...I'm really sorry.
 
No, it's ok . It was the manager's decision to switch up the lyrics and the dance not yours. 
 
Not about that. He said sounding a bit embarrassed . 
 
Chaerin, was silent knowing fully well what he was trying to apologize for. 
 
Look, Jiyong Oppa,I'm really glad that you seem to be doing ok now. I was just surprised that you left for Japan in a hurry then, and that you seemed to isolate yourself. I worried for you , you know. 
 
Again I'm sorry. Everything was sudden. 
 
I know.
 
 I'm dating someone new now. Jiyong said
 
Chaerin looked at him long and then gave a smile. 
 
I'd expect nothing less from you Oppa. The question really is , what took you that long? 
she exclaimed with a small smirk. Who is the unlucky one?
 
Unlucky? You little …....Jiyong said in mock anger. Her name's Kiko. 
 
The model? Chaerin said
 
You know her? 
 
I know of her cause of Xin. They're friends right? But I have not met her yet. I did not see you to like the model type. 
 
Why coz I'm short? You think only models can date models? 
 
No.. she's just so different from Sohee. And anyway, I don't have anything against models. but look at SooHyuk Oppa all he dates or have dated have been or are models too. 
 
Kiko's different . Soo Hyuk though  has a type . He strays away at times but you can see the pattern. 
 
SooHyuk has a type? 
 
What are you interested in him now? 
 
I was just asking. and c'mon he is practically married to Minhee unnie. 
 
But is he your type? Jiyong teased although in his mind the possibility of SooHyuk and Chaerin dating each other is as distant as the reunification of the 2 Korea's. 
 
I do not have a type. 
 
Not even SooHyuk he argued idly. He is good looking and kind. 
 
He is all of those things. 
 
But? 
 
I'm not into guys . I like girls better.  Chaerin declared.
 
Jiyong stared at her in shock
 
She laughed .  You actually believed I’m lesbian? I'm really scary huh? 
 
Chaerinah, you're so bad! Jiyong said happy that their normal bantering seems to have not been lost 
 
Ha, ha. Now about these lyrics...And they proceeded to jointly work on the song. Jiyong was glad that he got the chance to work with her closely . As much as he hated to admit , he did miss her. Looking at her now, he felt a contentment that he is doing this collaboration with someone as talented as him, his equal if not someone superior than him. The day will come when all of Korea and the world will be so lucky to see this girl fulfill her potential. He is lucky he is part of that in some way.
 
DECEMBER 31,
NEW YEAR'S EVE
YG BUILDING
 
Jiyong stared at his watch. It's almost 11 am, still early to turn up but since it is a New Year holiday, only a handful of people are in the YG Building. He hurried packing his things knowing that his parents and sister are waiting for him to begin their annual New Year's eve dinner, a habit that has become a tradition of sorts for them. 
 
All the other BigBang members were with there respective families,  same with 2ne1 and the other trainees . Even the workaholic Teddy has chosen to stay out of the recording studio . 
 
As he was going out of the studio, he passed by one of the training/ rehearsal rooms and was surprised to see it  lit. Who in the world is rehearsing at this day and time? 
 
Curious, he turned the knob on the door and peaked to see a track suit wearing Chaerin zealously eating what looked like a Blackbean noodle while sitting Indian style and reading what appeared to be a book. 
 
Jiyong surprised that he saw her there uttered mindlessly, "Chaerin what in the twofold are you doing here?" 
 
Surprised by his interruption Chaerin uttered muffled  “ Oppa”  in a bean filled mouth. 
 
“It's the holidays , why are you here?” Jiyong asked  Your grandparents and aunt are here too right?Why aren’t you with them?
 
 
“I was there yesterday but they just “ Chaerin said not able to explain the sadness she was feeling then. ..
 
“You should spend today and tomorrow with family “ Jiyong said/ .
 
“ I miss my parents so much. And my sister too. Seeing my aunt and  cousins just remind me of them more. “ She said stuffing   cutely with the noodles. He had to take a moment to take in the sight of this otherwise fierce and fiery leader turning into a cute childlike girl complete with the blackbean sauce adorably surrounding her lips. 
 
He put his hand on his pocket and turned out a hanky which he offered to Chaerin. She looked up and said, "What's that for?I am not crying? 
 
He pointed to his own lips and said ,”But you do look messy “
 
She turned her body towards the  mirror and was confronted with her reflection. She accepted his hanky and wiped clean of the grub from the food she was eating. 
 
Jiyong sat copying her pose. Without saying a thing, he then lightly put his right hand on hers and pulled her up as he was standing up. 
 
C'mon, let's go! He said. 
 
What? I'm staying here. Chaerin said
 
No. You are coming with me.
 
“Oppa. It's ok. I'm ok. See, this Blackbean noodles from Sajangnim will keep me company.” 
 
Stop being stubborn. C'mon , we'll go to my house. My parents will be glad to see you again. 
 
“Oppa, I don't like it when you pity me. “ Chaerin said
 
I don't pity you. I just find it weird that you'll be here alone while everyone else is with their families. 
 
She no longer resisted and off the two of them went to his house somewhere in one of the gated villages of Seoul. While he was driving and she was in the driver's seat he occasionally would take a glance at her. Chaerin was uncomfortable with the thought that Jiyong sees her as weak. She was focusing on the view from her car window when she heard Jiyong speak up.
 
“They've been asking me why you haven't been dropping by as often as you used too”. 
 
“What did you say? “ Chaerin asked.
 
You're busy with 2ne1 stuffs.
 
“Oppa you confuse me at times. “ Chaerin muttered.
 
“Confuse you? “ Jiyong uttered in surprise
 
“You're kind to me one moment and then distant the next. What is up with that ?
 
Jiyong forgot how blunt Chaerin can be at times. 
 
“That's friendship Chearin. Sometimes I just need space from people I care for. “
 
“Did I do anything wrong? I thought I was being a friend to you after you and Sohee broke up? But you kinda broke off from our friendship for a while too 
 
“I had to exorcise Sohee from our friendship. It was not healthy that I kept on  depending on you to get  over her. “ Jiyong admitted
 
But I was just being a friend to you, That’s what palas are for, right?
 
Yeah. That's why I'm bringing you to my house today. he said while smiling. 
 
I rarely get lonely Oppa .But this time everything just caught up with me. 
 
You do not have to explain it to me.
 
His family was happily surprised to see Chaerin . The excitement over her presence though overshadowed their curiosity of her long absence. She was welcomed with much enthusiasm . 
 
After the much needed chit chat  while having dinner Jiyong's elder sister blurted out, " It 's a good thing you came over Chaerinah. Now you can pick up those bagfuls of clothes and stuffs Jiyong here had bought for you in Japan" 
 
Noona! Reprimanded Jiyong. 
 
Why? Oh Im sorry was that supposed to be a surprise? Anyway , it's out of the bag . Chaerin he keeps so many things for you in his room. 
 
“Aish. I was about to open one of those bags one time but Jiyong said they were for you. I asked him why he could not give them to you. He said he was waiting for your birthday ? Crazy Jiyong. “ added  Jiyong's mother.
 
In the midst of their teasing the embarrassed Jiyong’s  mobile phone rang and he excused himself to take the call. Chaerin heard him mutter a smattering of broken Japanese and English. 
 
“That must be the new girl “ said Jiyong’s Dad.
 
“Must be.” said Jiyong’s sister nonchalantly. It's a wonder how they communicate given Jiyong's bad Japanese and even worse English. 
 
“Don't be such a sourpuss about love . Love knows no language” observed Jiyong’s dad
 
That's just sad isn't it? How can you pour your emotions , your feeling to someone who can't even understand you. Right Chaerin? I say that Kiko girl and Jiyong purely have a physical relationship. 
 
“Stop talking about your brother like that. It's his life. Let's not interfere. Although, I'd much rather he finds some nice Korean girl this time too. “ Jiyong’s mom opined
 
But Sohee's Korean, look how that turned out. Oh well  she was not nice anyway. Mom, Jiyong does not do nice. He likes them bad girls. Right Chaerinah?
 
Veering the convo away from its current direction which was getting too uncomfortable for her,” Ma'am, this kimchi soup tastes so good. What did you put in here? “ asked Chaerin
 
“It's my mother's very own recipe. “ said Ji’s mom proudly.
 
“In that case I wouldn't even dare to ask you for it.” Replied Chaerin
 
“Oh, I'd be more than welcome to give it to you Chaerin, as it seems my own daughter has no interest at all in things like this. I thought you were not interested in Korean dishes? 
 
Lately, I’ve been experimenting with fusion dishes. You know, just mixing it up . I can think of some other cuisine where your soup would taste great with. said the extremely honored Chaerin.
 
“Then just drop by here anytime you aren't busy, I'll be happy to give you a lesson in everything Korean food. Maybe we could swap recipes too! “ said Jiyong’s mom in anticipation.
 
“Omma, Chaerin's pretty busy too you know.”  Jiyong's sister politely said. 
 
“Unnie, it won't get in the way. If Ahumma is willing to teach me, I'd be much obliged. 
 
“ It's good that you have other things aside from your idol life. Sometimes,  I wish Jiyong is not as single-minded about his songs and music. His life revolves around music.”  
 
But he has his girls, said Chaerin said in a teasing manner wanting to lighten the Mom’s mood.
 
“And they're like his hobbies Omma “added Jiyong's sister to the laughter of all three women. As Jiyong was getting to his seat. 
 
“These women have been backstabbing you son”  ratted out Jiyong's father .
 
What could've you been talking about behind my back you three? GD asked.
 
“Mom just said that you should practice your Japanese or English if you really want that girl to stick it with you” his sister replied.
 
“With this face, I don't need to be fluent to communicate romance.” Jiyong said naughtily  
 
Chaerin laughed at the silliness of her friend. 
 
What? Jiyong feigned innocence
 
That's just plain ...a ahh,p, tacky! Chaerin said
 
Tacky! You just don't know how love transcends language and cultures Chaerinah. 
 
Of course I know that. But it's funny how you defend your laziness in learning languages though.  Chaerin observed/
 
“ Maybe you could introduce Chaerin to your girlfriend’s model friends. I heard they have a lot of hot male models in Japan. Halfies you know.  Part Caucasian part Asian. They'd be totally compatible with you Chaerinah.”  
 
Yes, that seems like a good idea, joined in Jiyong's mom . To be honest, I do not see Chaerin 
with a Korean guy. Just like your preference for fusion food, I think you'd go best with someone who's part from the West and part oriental!  . 
 
Don't give her ideas. Jiyong said soberly. 
 
“At her age, she should have ideas. She's such a sweetie she deserves to have boyfriend” Jiyong’s sister pointed out.
 
She's not like you noona. She's still under the dating ban! Jiyong seriously objected
 
Not like me? She's a normal young girl Jiyong. Why the hell am I even arguing about this with you? Chaerin doesn't need your permission to date. 
 
Of course she...but I can tell YG about it!  Jiyong exclaimed childishly
 
“Don't be such a spoilsport Jiyong. Nobody told on you when you were dating during your ban. “Jiyong's mom added. 
 
Omma.  My situation is slightly different. 
 
“Coz you are a guy? That's just downright ist.” his sister said “Don't you worry Chaerin, I've got a large group of friends and some really awesome and cool guys I can hook you up with. Not to mention mom's friends have wonderful sons too. Between the two of us, you won't have a shortage of choices.” 
 
“I think I am not yet ready to date this early in our career, to be honest.”  Chaerin admitted
 
 See?  I told you. Jiyong said triumphantly. 
 
“ Shut up Jiyong.  “ Chaerin, just give me a call if you just simply want to hang with boys. My offer stands”
 
“ Noona, Chaerin basically hangs out with boys most days so your offer is really not needed” Jiyong pointed
 
“Well, you YG and nuthang guys don't count . None of you are boyfriend material anyway.” his sister said
 
“Ok stop this conversation kids. It's going nowhere.”  said Jiyongs dad. “ Don't plan CL's life for her you two! I'm sorry Chaerin but they don’t have any dongsengs so.,,”
 
“Dad, it's Jiyong who can’t stop himself from meddling into Chaerin's life. I'm all about giving her a diversity of options.” The sister distinguished.   
 
“Chaerinah, don’t listen to noona. Are you done eating? Jiyong said
 
“Yes oppa. “
 
“Excuse us guys, I have to give Chaerin something”  . Chaerin excused herself to the knowing smiles of all three left dining. She followed Jiyong to his  own private portion of the house. Jiyong basically had a house built within another house. He wanted to be independent and have and enjoy his privacy yet stay with his family. The idea is ingenious really. 
 
When they reached his pad's living room, Jiyong slumped in his couch and exclaimed " Noona is annoying !
 
“She's cute” Chaerin said.
 
Cute? You find her cute when she keeps on shoving guys at you knowing. you still can't date ? 
 
“I can date. I just choose not to. And she is merely helping me out” Chaerin said sitting herself next to Jiyong “She's right about one thing though.” Chaerin said
 
“What about? “ Jiyong asked
 
I should definitely hang with guys out of YG or Nuthang 
 
Why? What's wrong with hanging with just us. Most girls would kill to be in your shoes.   
  
You guys treat me like one of the boys and it’s not healthy for my ego or  developing my boy skills 
 
Boy skills? C’mon Chaerin you could ask anything from us about boys and we would be glad to answer you
 
Asking you would be different from actually acting it out with real guys
 
Are you implying I’ m not a real enough guy?  Jiyong asked irritated.
 
You're being stubborn Oppa! I'd be awkward with you guys . I can’t flirt or be  you know.. ual or seductive with any of you oppas
 
Jiyong became silent and stared hard at the girl in front of her. Has he been ignoring the fact that she might have “girly” needs too.? She looked so self reliant all the time that it is hard for him to even associate her with words like flirting or seduction. But for some reason he feels irked that she'd verbalize that need of guys other than him .. or Nuthang  Imagining her being girly and sweet with other guys is snnoying as hell. Well, I’ll  just help her out this time
 
“I'll help you get your boy skills down pat. Practice it with me,” Jiyong challenged.
 
But...
 
No buts. Look, I know a lot about what boys want who better to educate you than me. 
 
Oppa!
 
Trust me on this Chae. Pretend  we're on our first date and we just met. Act out how you're going to be with me. Jiyong moved a little bit closer to a now blushing Chaerin. 
 
With a sigh, Chaerin said "Do you like to watch movies?"
 
"No" Jiyong responded
“How about music , what type of music are you into? “ Chaerin said
 
I like hip hop and trance” Jiyong said.
 
I lke hip hop too. My dad has gotta..
 
Stop it there..Chaerinah, you are acting way too buddy like. Your non verbal cues should make it seem that you are more accessible. 
 
Non verbal cues?
 
Yup sometimes it’s not what you say buy how you say it that matters. Like if you keep on crossing those arms over your torso, that's  a non verbal hint that tells a guy to back off, If you keep on distancing yourself  whenever the guy speaks or inches himself closet  to you that sends a signal too. 
 
I dint know that so what do I do? Chaerin inquired.
 
“When a guy speaks,  try to look into his eyes as if you were really interested”. 
 
“You mean stare at him?” Chaerin asked innocently
 
Don't stare, just look. Then  lose eye contact for a while then look at him again. If you have to, make that tuck-your -hair in your ear move at the same time?.
 
Shouldn’t I just keep looking so he'll know I'm interested? 
 
You could do that. But where is the seduction in that? Part of the game is you being mysterious not some open book that can easily be read by anyone. 
 
But does it work, this type of teasing? Chaerin asked 
 
For most guys it does. Jiyong said.
 
Argh. This is hard. Why cant I be honest and just be me?  Chaerin complained.
 
Do you really believe you can be that brave with someone you like, Chaerin? 
 
“I was when I was 13. “ she said
 
“With the douchebag? But you are older now. It's much different. “said Jiyong
 
“But you’re that way  with girls. “  Chaerin said
 
Girls appreciate me being straightforward , but guys expect a little more subtlety from girls. Very few guys are attracted to excessively aggressive  girls. 
 
Then I must  an acquired taste.  Even Xin oppa told me I'm attractive in small doses. 
 
He told you that?  remembering how his friend had confessed to him and thought that msut have been the extent of Xin’s love confession to Chaerin
 
Do you like Xin ?  Jiyong asked honestly curious
 
Like,? 
 
Yeah. As in a man to a woman like? 
 
I do not see him that way. 
 
Do you think he likes you?
 
Me? I'm about as aual as a mannequin wuin to him. He'd touch my body and not feel aroused at all. 
 
“Touch your body? What the hell are you and Xin doing? Jiyong asked images of them flirting in mind
 
 When he's styling and dressing  us up I mean , He looks so unaffected,  almost disinterested. 
 
Xin,  not interested? What was up with that guy.. He left for Japan to give him space with her as he asked and he just wasted his chance.   
 
While  muddled in his thoughts, Jiyong's sister came in and spoke to Chaerin, " Omma said you better stay thenight.. She had prepared a room for you in the main house, near my room. “
 
“But”..
 
No buts Chae. I’s the parent’s  orders ok. ? 
 
Ok. 
 
Jiyong,  just bring her to her room please. I'm beat , and have to sleep now.
 
“Chaerin, before I forget, come on help me get a few things” Jiyong said
 
He went  to  his room with her following suit . He unloaded from his closete bags upon bags of clothes and accessories
 
What are those ?
 
Your advanced bday gift?  Jiyong said sheepishly
 
“These are too much” Chaerin objected
 
“Chaerinah, you are one of the few people I like buying gifts for.   So do me a favor accept these  and use them.”
 
Oppa, if I keep on wearing  things that are similar t to yours , people might get the wrong idea
 
That we’re dating? No , they will just think that these are YG stuffs or that Xin might have styled  us similarly . Or that we just have similar tastes, You could even say we go shopping for stuffs together  at times! 
 
Ok,  if you’re sure Oppa. You’d know better than I do.  Who am  I to refuse  gifts like these? Oh wow, this jacket is so cool!! And what is that a rilakumma coloring book? 
 
I knew you’d like those?? Jiyong said with a laugh
 
And he watched happily as she unwrapped one by one the things he had bought , content that he had made her forget her earlier despair . . 
 
2NE1 APARTMENT 
2011 
 
Chaerin was so focused on her task of reading the recipe for Chicken Marsala on her Ipad that she did not quite hear the door to their apartment open. She was a bit surprised to see Jiyong inside her kitchen watching in amusement as she was poring over the recipe guide. 
 
“I let myself in already” Jiyong said
 
Aish, youre far too comfortable with us oppa. What if one of the girls was running in the living room while you entered ?
 
I knew the three weren’t here, I saw them getting out of the elevator. They said you were cooking something. And you're not the type to run around in your kitchen, are you?  . That would  be too unhygieni for you, Miss OC” , he said while sitting himself comfortably  in one of the dining chairs.  
 
You came here for my cooking? 
 
Nope. Jiyong said cutely. “Kiko's coming to Korea. “ he added.
 
“Oow,that's big!” Chaerin proclaimed.
 
For a modeling job you idiot!   Nylon Korea’s shooting her here. 
 
That's cool. At least she can meet unnie and your parents.  Chaerin opined.
 
“Mom and dad are in Jeju unfortunately. Noona's busy with something , so she says” Jiyong said.
 
“That's sad, this could have been the perfect opportunity for them to meet her.” She said while looking at her measuring cups
 
“ Uhm, Chaerinah, how do you like to meet her then? Jiyong asked.
 
“Me? “ asked a surprised Chaerin.
 
“ Yah, she's been dying to meet you . She says she’ s a fan of yours. She kind of asked me to set up meet up with you”
 
“Really? It’s fine by me” said Chaerin/ . 
 
“Also I think they’re looking for somewhere to shoot around Seoul. I suggested your aunt’s gallery. The Nylon crew liked the place so they’re shooting there as soon as she arrived the day after next?  Maybe yo could meet her there?
 
“That'd be cool!  “Chaerin  said
 
“What are you cooking? That looks delicious.” Jiyong now standing next to Chaerin.
 
“Chicken marsala. It will be done in a wgile . You want some? “ asked Chaerin
 
“You know ,e I do. I'll set the table. I’m hungry  now.” Jiyong said excitedly
 
“What food does Kiko like? “ asked Chaerin
 
“Uhmm,” Jiyong paused thoughtfully “  she doesn’t eat much when we hang, so I haven’t really noticed. Why? “
 
Chaerin looked at her sunbae surprised at the absurdity of what he was saying but decided to keep mum as she had always made it he rule to keep out of the relationships of all her male friends—even that of Jiyong. That’s the reason it had taken this long for her and Kiko to meet. “ I was thinking I can cook for her at my aunt's place,?”
 
 
“. Hmm, this stuff is delicious . Chaerin . Where’d you learn this?” 
 
“Will oppa brought us to this Italian restaurant once and ordered this .”
 
“I can cook this for Kiko? “ she asked
 
“No problem , it’s so good anyone’s bound to like it.” he said munching on his food with gusto . “Hey,  have  a seat and  have some of what you cooked” Jiyong said putting food on the plate has set.
 
Two days after , the shoot happened at Chaerin's aunts gallery . After which,  Kiko  and her group went to the uppermost floor if the gallery where Jiyong had asked them to proceed after their work was done. 
 
Jiyong and Chaerin were already by themselves waiting in the pad when  Kiko and friends  rang the doorbell. Jiyong was then in the kitchen helping Chaerin prepare food for their guests, even wearing an apron, when the bell rang. He stood up forgetting the apron and let the guests enter .
 
Upon opening the door, Kiko was surprised to see her extremely fashionable boyfriend wearing something as domesticated as an apron. She has never seen him this way… 
 
“GD? What is that you’re wearing?” she said pointing to his apron.
 
“Oops, Busy cooking. I forget. “ Jiyong said .  Come, meet Chaerin , he said excitedly.
 
Kiko not unlike her pictures was very skinny and had a beautiful face. With his little English Jiyong introduced the girls with enthusiasm. 
 
Hi. Kiko said confidently. I have heard so much about you. I'm a fan ! 
 
“Hello! From him,?” pointing to Jiyong .
 
“Well, from Xin too. He does talk about you a lot too” said Kiko in English.  
 
Jiyong, now has moved out of the kitchen to speak with the other members of Kiko’s entourage and left the two girls by themselves. “Don’t worry about them.  Pointing to her crew. They’ll be discreet. “
 
“Jiyong  talks about  you too, in his own way. His English and Japanese aren't all that good. “ Kiko said.
 
Chaerin gave out a smile remembering the same comment made by Jiyong's sister. "If you do not mind me asking, how do you two exactly communicate ? 
 
“I have a friend who interprets for us when we cannot understand each other , otherwise we just make use of hand signals . They're rather helpful. “ the model explained
 
“Maybe you ought to learn Korean” , Chaerin kidded
 
Actually , I am studying now. . I want to better understand GD.  
 
Chaerin looked at the frail girl seeing as she had seen with other girls before how GD can make one weak and love lost. Kiko was one besotted girl. Much like how Sohee was at least during the first few months of their relationship. 
 
Uhmm, you know I'm really curious about you and GD, CL.  Kiko now observed
 
“Curious?” asked Chaerin
 
“Yeah. I told you I am a fan of 2ne1's and Bigbang from when you started. When GD began hanging with me, I even asked him, why he 's going after me when he was dating you ? “ Kiko said , looking at Chaerin as if weighing what her response would be.
 
“Whaat? You thought we were an item? “ Chaerin almost choked while she was taking the chicken out of her aunt's oven. 
 
“Yeah. I almost rejected him coz I thought he was two timing you.” 
 
“ What made you think that , he and I were , you know.......together ? “ Chaerin said almost blushing. 
 
Kiko gave out a small laugh. “Sorry, CL. Did I make you uncomfortable with my intrusive questions. Am I being a y? I 'm just fascinated with your friendship . I don't  have a close guy friend in my life so I'm basically in the dark how these things operate.”  Kiko said now in all seriousness that was in contrast with her earlier playful mood. 
 
Chaerin looked at the girl and said with all earnestness. " I'm no threat to you Kiko. Never was and never will. I don't mess with a guy who's taken, so no need to put me in my place , if that was your intention.
 
Kiko looked t Chaerin with surprise and awe. " Well,  I guess I deserved that. I did not mean to offend you. You've known him longer. He doesn't even want to tell me how the two of  you met. 
 
“ And I will not be the one to tell you that. It's not my place to do so.  But let me assure you that how he met me is of no importance. It's you he is with “ . Chaerin said.
 
“You're lucky.”  Kiko said. “Jiyong cares for you very much regardless of whoever girl he is seeing. “
 
“We're friends, that is to be expected” Chaerin said.
 
“You can’t really blame me for asking . Jiyong,  when he was  in Japan, he spent  his time thinking and thinking about what he would buy for you. You know we couldn't go to malls or anything, but he'd surf online and ask his managers to go to shops you know. It's disturbing how devoted he is to giving you gifts. “
 
“Are you faulting him for being generous, coz really that's part of who he is. “ Chaerin said
 
“ That's not the point, with me, he just asks what I want , then buy it. With you , he likes guessing what you like , he's fixated with confirming that you have similar tastes, it's almost crazy. “ Kiko said almost with a sense of frustration.
 
“Look Kiko, he is with you. Don't you just appreciate that he cares for your preference enough to ask for it beforehand rather than shove what he likes to your face and force you to like them? Chaerin assuaged the seemingly jealous girlfriend.
 
Kiko stared at CL and said..  " I'm glad we had this talk ..." 
 
“I'm ....”  Chaerin was about to say something  “  Chae..is the food ready ,” Jiyong  said in Korean while moving near Kiko and placing his hand in her small waist. " I don't know what to say to them any longer. , he said while smiling at Kiko who just smiled back. 
 
“The crowd she hangs out with  isl so tiresome and vapid”  he said in Korean while smiling.
 
“Oppa. You're saying that right in Kiko's face.” Chaerin warned his sunbae 
 
“I'm sure she doesn't understand what I’m saying for as long as this smile is plastered on my face. She'll just think I'm giving her a compliment “ Jiyong retorted.
 
“You're a douche. “ Chaerin said
 
“No I’m not. I like her but the crowd she hangs out with , not much” . 
 
“You do have common friends “ . Chaerin said while looking at an obviously confused Kiko. 
 
“What are you guys talking about?”  she asked . 
 
“ He's just asking if what I cooked is edible.” Chaerin blurted out a white lie
 
“Ow. I thought something was the matter. “ Kiko said.
 
“No, no problem .” Jiyong said in his broken English. 
 
“Ok” , Kiko said nodding. 
 
“ Jiyong,”  Kiko said , “my friends  they've been craving for coffee since earlier, maybe you could have someone buy for them ?”
 
“ Copi?” Jiyong said  Ok.  coffee shop near here. Manager buy . Jiyong said to Kiko. You want buy Copi too Kiko ? 
 
“Just hot green tea, please if there's one”  Kiko replied at the thoughtfulness of Jiyong. . 
 
“Ok. I'll call manager” Jiyong said.
 
“Wait, Chaerin may want something too,” Kiko said somehow amused that she even had to remind GD to ask Chaerin what she wanted ordered.
 
Chaerin ,? Jiyong Sid pointing to CL .. “Cafe Americano & Blueberry cheesecake , she likes” Jiyong said looking at Chaerin and leaves the kitchen to call his manager
 
“He knows you better than he knows me” . Kiko observed  flatly
 
“I had a few years head start knowing him. You are his girlfriend though.” Chaerin responded patiently  
 
“I’m glad you know that,”  Kiko said matter of factly. Then changed the topic  immediately as if what was  previously said was unimportant “ Anyway, I saw some books in you aunt’s shop I’d like to buy.”
 
“Just tell me what they are and consider them my gifts to you.”
 
“Thanks Chae. May I call you that? “
 
Yeah, sure. Chaerin responded with a smile.
 
“It’s good we are on the same page where GD is concerned” , Kiko said.
 
FEBRUARY 2013
LONDON/PARIS
 
“You’re tired from the trip Jiyong” Xin said. “ There’s no need for you to go with us tonight” he directed to Jiyong who was furiously rummaging through his well-organized luggage to look for something to wear.
 
‘Xin, I’m ok. I rested during the long flight. I came here to enjoy with you and Chaerin right? I’m doing just that.
 
I’m just saying there’d be other days , Xin said while putting on a long sleeved hooded shirt.
 
I want to go out  tonight Xin. Really. I won’t be able to sleep anyway knowing you and Chaerin are out having fun while I’m all cooped up in this musty room. Where are we going anyway?
 
Some shop in Soho. Year Zero. I know the owner’s son from design school. They have lots of customized pieces there that Chaerin want to check out. Beanies , blings, you know.
 
Anything which Chaerin is really interested in? Jiyong asked with obvious interest.
 
Xin looked at his friend in amazement, shook his head.
 
What? Jiyong asked.
 
I don’t get you , Jiyong. Are you in some sort of competition with someone in figuring out what CL likes? Or are you really bent on copying her style. You’re not twins . Neither are you a couple. No need to mix and match all the time.
 
Are you jealous Xin? Don’t tell me you still hold a torch for Chae after all these years? What would the beautiful Sagan say?
 
I should ask the same of you Ji. What would Kiko say?  Stop making this about me. It’s you who clearly has an issue of not knowing your boundaries where Chaerin is concerned.
 
 I know my boundaries. Chaerin is my best girl buddy whose like a sister to me. Kiko is my girl .
 
Nothing but labels, man. Your actions speak volumes.
 
“Actions? I just asked what Chaerin seemed to be interested in and you went on this rant about me crossing some kind of boundaries. I admire the girl’s style. Is that so bad? “ Jiyong asked.
 
“No. But, showering her with gifts of things that you also have is nothing short of weird. I can understand the occasional gifts but a Rolex watch ? Jiyong that’s pretty out of the ordinary even for close friends! Does Kiko even know it was you who gave her that? ”
 
“Kiko is not my accountant! Cahein and I, we happen to have similar aesthetics Xin . We like almost the same things, brands and designs. Anyway , things are cheaper bought in two’s, or three’s  , so buying for her is really not much of a burden. Not to brag , but even if they’re expensive, I can afford them. Not to mention Chaerin appreciates what I give her.
 
Coz you had her convinced  that YG reimburses you or gives you shopping money as a privilege.
 
Ha, ha, . I even had to connive with YG Sajangnim to persuade her that was true.
 
See? You  even had to go through such lengths .
 
“ Don’t worry about what hardships I go through. Xin, You wouldn’t understand anyway. There’s satisfaction I get in seeing Chaerin happy . Even YG understood that “ Jiyong said seriously. “ With all the I have to deal with , just give me this Xin and stop nagging me about it will ya? “
 
“ Fine. Fine.” Xin said in surrender to what he perceived as his friend’s faulty logic.  
 
“Ok, so going back to my question earlier,  what caught Chaerin’s eye this time?”
 
“You keep on telling me you have the same taste as Chae. How about a bet? Point out to me later what you think Chaerin is interested in before she mentions it?
 
A bet?  Do you really want to?
 
Why not? What are the terms?
 
If you guess right , I’d let you choose what Chaerin can wear for at least three times. Of course, I’ll pass it off as my work .  Xin said
 
You deceitful piece of !
 
Deceitful ,? Maybe. But  I know you being the ert  you are will probably fall for it. Xin said as if to challenge Jiyong.
 
“And if I lose? “ Jiyong asked.
 
“You’d let me use your new Lamborghini for three months” Xin responded with glee.
 
Three months? Isn’t that too much Xin?
 
“3 months  for  3times . Take it or leave it Ji.”  Xin, threatened.
 
Ok fine. I’m in.
 
Just then their doorbell rang to reveal a very impatient Chaerin
 
Guys, what’s taking you long. Year Zero closes at 8 PM, she said.
 
“They’ll wait for us Chae, I have called them a while back” . Xin replied
 
IS THAT ALL YOU’RE WEARING? Jiyong said suddenly pointing at the midriff black top Chaerin had on over a black fitted pants. .
 
Of course not. In this cold weather?  I’ll put a coat over this .
 
C’mon Ji. She looks good in it anyway. That belly baring shirt will look good on you too  you know. Maybe you should borrow that from Chae .. since you know.. you have similar “aesthetics” Xin said teasingly
 
Stop blabbing nonsense Xin and let’s get going !! Jiyong said dismissively to the amusement of Xin.
 
Upon arrival at the Year Zero shop, Xin kept Chaerin busy by introducing her to the owners  while Jiyong roamed around the store intent on winning the bet with his friend. While the use of his car was no burden for him, Jiyong was really  looking forward to dressing up Chaerin anyway.
 
While going around the shop his eye was caught by a bag which he recognized to be a Hermes Birkin splashed with colorful cartoon characters  all over. Jiyong smiled and realized he has already  won the bet. He is sure this bag would have earned Chaerin’s attention .
 
He called out Xin and CL and handed over his IPhone telling him, “Bro, take a photo of me with this bag “signaling to him subtly that the bag was his answer to Xin’s bet
 
Chaerin then said ” Xin! That’s the bag I wanted !!
 
Jiyong smirked at Xin triumphantly. “You like this ? “
 
“Yeah, but it’s too expensive. I’d have it reserved so maybe later I’d buy it. “ Chaerin said looking longingly at the bag.
 
“Hmm. I have a better idea. How about we split the price between us? “ Jiyong suggested
 
“You’re willing to pay for the other half?” Chaerin exclaimed with surprise. .
 
“Yeah, I like it too. We pay in halves  and  share its use alternately” Jiyong said while eyeing Xin triumphantly.
 
“Ok!! Deal. Thanks Oppa!! I really wanted this one, really bad.” The overly excited Chaerin said.
 
No problem ,  Chae. I’m gonna use it anyway too. How about you Xin?  I’d let you borrow this bag  maybe for three months?
 
Nah… Xin replied unenthusiastically. Not interested.
 
If you say so… Jiyong said happily.
 
 
PARIS
 
Even before he opened his eyes, Jiyong was already conscious of a very light powdery scent that emanated from wherever he was. He could not describe it, but one thing was certain- it was a very pleasant smell.. and very seductive, . He smiled and thought his mother’s housekeeper  must have done a good job making his room smell like this.
 
He opened his eyes happily with the realization that he was in an unfamiliar room, sleeping in an unfamiliar bed …. and sleeping with…no… .beside… someone. In one fell swoop, he remembered the happenings of the previous day . How because of his own tiredness and wanting to be comfortable,  he had convinced Xin and Soo Hyuk that they should alternately share a bed with Chaerin; how he has argued with Chaerin over whether a pillow between them was needed. He had said that there wasn’t any need for one since he was not a fidgety sleeper anyway. Chaerin thought otherwise and said she’s not used to sleeping with another person on her bed and she needed her personal space. Jiyong gave in anyway and Chaerin got her pillow between them.
 
Their next skirmish was the sleeping attire Jiyong wanted to wear. Chaerin was wearing an oversized SpongeBob shirt and her pyjamas ( which Jiyong  thought was adorable but initially kept to himself).. Jiyong meanwhile  had changed into his boxers and removed his shirt to which he got a direct objection from Chaerin.
 
“Oppa!” she said . “ Put your shirt back on”
 
“ I sleep better this way. Unless you want me moving around sleeplessly and bother your beauty rest, just let me be. He looked at her and inquired “ Why?Are you bothered? By this?”  pointing to his torso.
 
“Unnerved is more like it. Am not used to half- guys being all up on me” she said avoiding looking at him
 
“But the Kwon twins were like all shirtless and all in your concerts right “
 
“In concerts, not in my bed! Big difference. “ she exclaimed
 
“Chae, when you have a boyfriend you have to get used to this kinds of scenario…” Jiyong proclaimed.
 
“Yah! Kwon Jiyong. Stop teasing me will you. FYI , you aren’t my boyfriend so don’t act like that! “ Chaerin said obviously discomfited
 
“Ah. My Hunchae is all blushing”
 
“ Stop it, I said. I’m gonna sleep now” . Chaerin said hastily, plopped up their pillow divider and covered herself with her blanket.
 
“Chaerinah. I’m sorry. I was just messing around . I missed teasing you. “  
 
“ Yah, right.”  Chaerin muttered from right under the blanket.
 
“You easily get bothered with intimacy Chae. Even Minzy reacts more maturely to my teasing  than you do.”  Jiyong said remembering how he had embraced the maknae in one variety show and the youngster showed no signs of awkwardness at all.” Why do you have to make this awkward? “
 
“Cause it is awkward you dolt” she said.
 
“Not when there’s no ual intention to what we do. I mean I can hug you and I have no motives of getting into your pants or your super cute pajamas rather. “
 
“Oppa” , Chaerin said. “This is just something I’m not accustomed to.”
 
“ But something you will have to get used to. Eventually, your image has to evolve and grow. You cannot stagnate and remain as the fierce , man-hating, independent  girl all the time.
 
“I know” she said. .
 
And the only way you can do that is by having growth in your personal life too
 
“Are you saying I should have a boyfriend?”  Chaerin said now without cover of blanket.
 
“Not really.” Jiyong answered suddenly realizing his dongseng has turned the tabled on him
 
“Then you meant maybe I should play around?” she asked
 
“ You’re twisting my words. I’m saying don’t deprive yourself of the fluff , of the romance , even if you don’t have a relationship.”
 
“You mean I should learn how to flirt. “ said Chaerin
 
“Or how to handle flirtations. So you don’t easily  scare away when guys make a move on you” Jiyong said while feeling trapped in his own words of wisdom.
 
“Guy’s don’t make a move on me. “ Chaerin said
 
“That’s your chicken and egg problem Chae. I told you before , this is where your guy friends could come handy. “
 
Jiyong, in lightning quick succession removed the pillow barrier ,raised his body atop the surprised Chaerin, his face now a few inches from her . Chaerin’s  only reaction was a yelp of Oppa !! and quickly hid under the covers of her security blanket.
 
The naughty Jiyong, who was now directly above the cornered Chaerin giggled a bit and retuned to his side of the bed.
 
“See. ! That little physical contact  and you didn’t know how to respond. You have a lot to learn Chaerinah.” He said
 
“ I know. But not from you” . She answered again under the blanket.
 
He was surprised at this. “Not from me.? Who else would be concerned enough to teach you the ropes Chaerin.
 
“I have a lot of guy friends Oppa.!”  
 
“Who do you have in mind? Xin ? SooHyuk? “
 
“ Someone’s who is not  definitely not attached !” Chaerin said
 
Youngbae? Stop kidding me Chae. He’s about as innocent in these matters as you are.
 
“Then I’ll go learn it from You Tube or from as Seungri told me to. “
 
“Seungri told you to watch ? “ Jiyong asked amazed at the nonsense this clueless girl is learning from YG guys.
 
“Well, he said they’re not really but  more of “female as” apparently they differ”
 
“ You can’t learn it from watching those . Sleep it out Chaerinah. My offer to help you still stands in the morning” . Jiyong said with a yawn , his tiredness now manifesting.
 
“Good night Oppa” . he heard Chaetin murmur softly as if not wanting him to hear her utter the words.  
 
He then knew that Chaerin had forgiven him for his teasing. Satisfied, he closed his eyes wordlessly with a smile .
 
Now,  as he slowly opened his eyed to the fresh scent that he was almost sure had enticed him to wakefulness, he felt a weight on his body and saw his bedmate’s soft, long, blonde hair merely an inch away from his face. Unconsciously, he moved his  own face a little closer to Chaerin’s head with a happy discovery that the seductive scent was hers. Chaerin’s right arm was atop his chest and her right leg almost touched his hipbone protruding from the miniscule and thin boxer shorts he was wearing.
 
In his uninhibited, half-asleep state, he smiled. Everything feels just right he thought. He could stay all day  just lying in this bed doing nothing in this exact same position and he  was sure he would be happy. He was about to close his eyes again dreamily ready to return to his slumber when suddenly he felt the hands atop his bare chest slowly, slowly and gently moving downwards towards his abdomen, and dangerously stopped just a little above the top of his boxers.  He let out a surprise groan as the feel of Chaerin’s hands sent tingling sensations to his exposed torso. Before he could react, the still sleeping Chaerin moved her palm again in gentle upward halting atop Jiyong now aroused left . She repeated the same quickly leaving Jiyong almost immobilized and hypersensitive. Finally , Chaerin’s hand stopped and the sleeping girl instead moved and closed the gap between her SpongeBoB shirt-clad body and Jiyong’s own
 Jiyong’s mind was racing with confusion, but his baser instincts seem to appreciate the contact as it realized and sensed the feel of Chaerin’s generous s from under the thin shirt she was wearing. Like her hands earlier, Chaerin now started moving her body upwards, making Jiyong panic as he now felt the hardened tip of her s tangling with his side torso.
 
Jiyong felt the involuntary hardening and tightening of his groins as Chaerin settled with her face almost atop  Jiyong’s and her arms wrapping him in a warm embrace.
 
This cannot be, rationalized Jiyong. This is Chaerin. Chaerin my friend. I have a girlfriend . Kiko. But admit it  Kiko’s embraces doesn’t nearly feel as ual and as nice as this one does , his naughty side countered. But that’s because Kiko is thinner than the curvaceous girl now peacefully sleeping beside him blissfully unaware of the physical and emotional havoc she has now caused upon her Jiyong oppa.
 
With utmost determination , Jiyong disentagled himself slowly from his sleeping dongseng and rushed out of bed to go the comfort room..Chaerin, who claimed to be a light sleeper still in deep sleep  while the disoriented and confused Jiyong paced back and forth completely taken aback by his own physical reaction to the proximity of Chaerin and attempting , but failing to control his unexpectedly escalating  arousal.