The Newcomer

You Are My Sunshine
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

chapter two; 

                 the newcomer

 

» Jaejoong I’m not familiar with the places around the new neighborhood my family just moved into, but I could tell from the moment I stepped into Solar Café that it was going to be one of my favorite hang-outs here. It was more edgy and sophisticated than the coffeehouses back in my hometown. Comfortable jazzy music mixed with soft laughter from the lively customers sitting on the mixed assortment of wooden stools, leather sofas, and colorful chairs. Framed vintage posters were on the olive green walls, but the thing that attracted me the most was the wall of bookshelves that were neatly organized with books and magazines from A to Z. Even though the public library would do for me, the glossy new covers attracted me even more. It was going to take me more than today’s time to go through them. The thought of that excites me; it’s finally beginning to feel like I’m settling in this new environment. On my way to order my coffee, I bowed and smiled to anyone who I met eyes with. Some people may think it’s weird, but my upbringing makes it natural for me to be respectful to everyone I meet.

 

“Hi, what can I get for you?” Just as I was eyeing the menu back and forth, a cheerful voice interrupted me from the middle of inner decision-making. Looking up, I found an energetic girl smiling sweetly at me, making my mind momentarily blank for a moment. She wasn’t like most girls...that’s the first thing I noticed. She had a fresh, friendly face, framed with a few strands of her shiny brunette hair that had escaped the crown braid. “Hello..?”

 

I quickly glanced at her nametag. Dara. What a beautiful name. “Your name is Dara, right?” She nodded at me. “Hi, I’m Kim Jaejoong, and I just moved in the neighborhood.”

 

Her eyes brightened like twinkling Christmas lights. “Really? Where do you live?” I told her my street, without skipping a beat, and she gasped in surprise. “That’s where my best friend Bom lives! She used to work here, and I’m taking her place. Did you transfer to Strong Heart Academy?”

 

“Yes, I’m a junior-“ I didn’t have time to finish when Dara squealed in excitement. “Oh oh oh! I’m a junior too! That’s awesome!” Dara jumped up and down behind the counter giddily. I laughed out loud at her cuteness. Are all the girls around here like her? Before moving, I had been under the impression that the city girls of this part of town are snobby. It seems as if I was wrong though; Dara seems like an unpolluted piece of city air. “Do you have any siblings?” I nodded, thinking that my brother Hyun Joong and Taeyeon will like Dara immediately. “Really? That’s so cool! I’ve always wanted a little brother or sister! Of course, an older sister would be nice. But I don’t need an older brother since-“

 

“Dara, what are you doing?” A buff guy walked out of the kitchen, but he seemed more amused than upset at Dara. “Stop going on and on about siblings, and get the poor guy something to drink!” He gave me a friendly smile. “Sorry about that. That’s just how Dara is sometimes.”

 

Dara hit the guy, which was pretty funny since she was small and petite in comparison, like a bunny attacking a lion and expecting to win. “I was just trying to be friendly, Taeyang!” Turning to me, she hastily bowed. “Sorry about that, what was it you wanted to order?”

 

“What do you recommend?” I inquired, when the truth was that I had totally forgotten what I wanted to order the moment I met Dara’s eyes.

 

“You’re new around here, aren’t you? Well then, I would suggest the latte. Perfect way to spend your first afternoon here.” The guy named Taeyang suggested before being called back to the kitchen. “I’m Taeyang. You are...?”

 

“His name is Jaejoong, and lives on the same street as Bom!” Dara proudly stated. Taeyang laughed, and waved before disappearing to the kitchen. Dara then turned to me. “So, a latte for here or to go?”

 

“For here. I want to look at the books you have here.” I paid the money for the latte, not missing how our hands briefly touched. Her hand was soft and warm.

“Good choice! We have so many good books here. When I’m not busy on my shift, Taeyang lets me sit around and read them sometimes.” Dara gave me my receipt and change. “Enjoy your afternoon here!”

 

“I will.” I’m starting to think that I will be visiting here often...and not just because of the books either.

 

» jiyong I knew there was some serious I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter